Grade 'Sanguine Love'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 3, 2010.

?

How would you grade Sanguine Love?

1. A+

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. klb

klb Victim

I had to go back and check, but Ceesau's song was playing when Flack and Hawkes walk into the Tattoo shop to talk to the guy whose DNA they find on her body (James?). It is quietly in the background, then gets louder as they leave the shop to end the scene. I guess it was a little bit of a personal touch in the episode- it was the scene just before the parents identify their daughter.
    I also just saw the preview for next weeks episode- what is it with all the women in tight clothing???? First the Lingere football episode and now 90% of the preview is Danika Patrick in skimpy/tight clothes???? :wtf:

2. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Your right klb this is the one in the tattoo shop it's not my favorite but I like era of exposed..

About this episode I liked it I found it more artistic, the way they shoot it was different I liked the way they put the murder through the camera at the beginning I don't know if it was Carmine plan or the director but it seems he was very implicated in this one so ???

it was a little slow but I liked the case a give a A

3. Khanada

Khanada CSI Level Two

I usually just grade the ep and don't comment, but since we are pretty sure Carmine peeks on the boards, I'm gonna give my two cents.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It's a single episode case, which we often complain we don't get enough of. The victim's background is explored and we can connect with her through her parents. I also loved that they used snow. As Mac once said: one of the best forensic tools money can't buy.

We had no Lindsay and Adam, true, but everyone else got time. Sid got out of the morgue and actually got to show that he too can research on cases. We got a Danny/Flack scene. There was several zinger comments that made me laugh, especially the one about Danny feeling old. I know exactly what he was referring to: Cold weather triggers aches and pains in people who have chronic injuries (or like me, PsArthritis).

Overall, nice job, Carmine. I gave you a solid A.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

B, The case was ridiculously easy. A boyfriend? Seriously? :(:rolleyes::scream:

Guest actors were all good. Musics fit the scenes, not annoying. It's been a while since I've felt like that. :)

Flack's 'Not gonna bite me, are you?' That was the best line ever! :lol:
    Sheldon's speaking like a cop and acting like a cop now. I love that! :adore:

5. redbird985

redbird985 Civilian

Re: 'Sanguine Love' SONG

Was wondering if anyone can help. I've been all over the net.
    There is a song playing that sounds a bit like it has Spanish guitar in the beginning. It's when the pig is being stuck with those tattoo needles over and over again. It's not a long song, but I love it.
    Any info would be appreciated.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^Since there's no words, it's possible that the music was composed for the episode (like the stuff later on at the vampire ceremony, including the bit with the cello in this video). If it's not, I hope you can find it. :)

Usually Sheldon's processing scenes take place alongside some...odd musical choices, but the stuff in that scene was far superior. :p

ETA: Haha, I just noticed my timestamp. TREE TREE TREE! /dork

7. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Yes that music was good and I liked the perfect timing when Hawkes stab the pig really good job:):)

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I enjoyed it. It felt a little slow in parts but felt like a solid episode. I love how it didn't turn into a Danny love fest (even though I love those) but kudos to Carmine for turning out an evenly spread episode (with the exception of Lindsay and Adam).

I think it was wise that this was a Lindsay free episode as there was no chance of D/L detracting from the case. Not that they would particularly but we all know there would have been a lot of scrutiny from both sides of the fence in trying to establish Carmine's point of view dependant on what he did or didn't write for her/them. Lindsay's absence allowed for some fence sitting which was good.

The guest actors were great - I loved Carlo Rota, but then again I knew I would :).

And I didn't have the boyfriend pegged until the very end so it worked for me on a storytelling basis.

A! :)

9. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

B+

Carmine did a very good job with this one. No Mary Sues around, no Super!Danny rescuing anyone. The ankh thing brought me back to when I would play "Vampire: The Masquerade" and got me thinking a Caitiff had killed the poor thing *feels geeky* Apart from that, the vampire thing was exotic, but not that necessary, and I was I bit upset they tried to blame the haven master just because he had weird ideas. The fact that someone was framing him didn't cross anyone's mind for a split second until the very end. Anway, the guy was a petulant idiot, I didn't care that much about him.

10. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was beautifully shot and although it was a bit slow in places, for me the pace seemed to fit the story.

For all the subject matter was a bit out there, the team didn't make and wild assumptions or suddenly bring out a new 'shiny, shiny' piece of equipment to help with the investigation - from that perspective it was believable.

I liked how everyone who was present had decent screentime - very selfless on Carmines part, so I hope he gets the chance to write another one.

11. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

NY's lucky to land powerful guest stars! Carlo Rota? Finola Hughes? WOW! Those people aren't easy ones to come by!

Carmine did a wonderful job with everything, I really liked it!

Just a thought though, has anyone notice that Flack seems rougher these days? Early seasons he was very much sarcastic with suspects, but now it seems much darker, more venom behind his words, and he's alot rougher both emotionally and physically with suspects.....

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh me too, it was wildly unrealistic (i feel i can back this up if necessary!) and it really bothered me. i had been hoping when they said what those scenes were about it'd be a bit less sexualised and a bit more... well, something else, but it wasn't.

same!

well spotted. i doubt it was all done there, apart from the odd bit and some stock footage, and i believe there were pics on belga a while ago from that scene which had crew standing around in shorts and stuff so i think it's safe to say it wasn't....

i dunno - i thought it worked that way. i think if he'd arranged for the dad to come to the precinct there would've been questions/suspicion/something from the mother that could've compromised the interview, and also i think it was better to catch the dad off guard - a prearranged interview would've given him chances to prepare what to say, mac needed the questions to get more honest answers than that. also i don't think he thought the dad actually did it and so maybe bringing him in for interrogation would've been too formal, when in fact he just wanted help and co-operation.

i *really* liked how aggressive it was as well - we've seen a few times that mac has a healthy disdain for (a) people who care more about keeping their own secrets than someone's death and (b) parents/other relations who put their own interests first in trying to find killers, and i think he's been aggressive in those situations before. add to that the fact that he clearly didn't get what it was all about, i think it made perfect sense. he was just trying to get answers and the dad seemed like a slippery kind of fella who'd worm his way out of things, so for me the (a) aggressive and (b) surprise/impromptu nature of the interview made sense in terms of catching the guy off guard and getting him to be less rehearsed.

mac had some good lines at that point too, "we're going to be here a while, might as well get comfortable" - and my personal favourite "photographs your daughter took of people at a ........ *insert look of confused disdain* ...party.":lol:

haha yeah those lines were good - although the first one bothered me a bit in that it wasn't really slashing was it? it was far too controlled! i guess it's just an expression though. [/pedantic]

yeah, that was odd, i wish they'd explained that.

yeah that was really weird. maybe they really did run out of time? it would've made more sense if mac had said "thanks for coming" and then given the dad the photos, because having it the other way around made it sound like the dad had some reason to have asked mac there when in fact the only exchange of info/anything came from mac. wow that paragraph reads well...:wtf:

yeah, me too - owwww. i had a similar flash of recognition/sympathy at that line!

maybe it's fall out from angell dying etc? although mac managed to get him pretty much back on track perhaps he's kept some of his disillusionment?

i don't have much to say really that hasn't already been said - i did like that there was a lot of mac (haha, i like being predictable!), i really liked his little scene with sid, the "eh??" looks he gave sid when sid said vampires, and when he asked sid how he knew, were great :) (hmm how many times can i say "sid" in one sentence?!)

the parents' accents bothered me - they were a little bit iffy on the english side. they sounded ok most of the time but quite a few times there was a distinct transatlantic thing going on (especially with the dad). of course it might have been that they had been living in the us a while and had picked up a bit of the accent but given that they mentioned a flight, and were staying in a hotel, i think them coming from the uk seems more plausible. i dunno, it just bothered me a bit.:rolleyes:

one thing i reaaally liked about this ep was how beautiful they made NY look (even if it wasn't real!), the visual element of this ep was just great, it was very atmospheric, they used some lovely photos as the vic's pics, and snow always lends itself well to beautiful shots. i thought the opening and closing sequences were a tad contrived (and the opening one a little bit long) but otherwise i quite liked them, it was an effective device. and i also loved the wide shot of mac about to interrogate the boyfriend, with him standing in the shadows (i want to start singing the stones now...!:lol::rolleyes:) at the back - it fit really well with the photographic nature of the ep, and also with the vampire theme, especially with the way it was lit and stuff. very cool.

i'm not sure what grade to give, i enjoyed it but there were one or two little blips that bothered me... hmm i'll plump for a B+

13. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Grade: A

I really liked this episode. Instead of the gritty tough side of NYC we had the opportunity to see it through an artist's eye. I was hoping that Carmine's artistic soul would come through and I was not disappointed. The photography of the park was beautiful and I liked the viewpoint of the opening scene being seen through the camera lens.

The mood was pensive throughout the episode, with good choices in music.

I appreciated a different view of the vampire culture. I've very much had enough of the glam vamps and the wannabe vamps and the goth vamps. Tying the story to an ancient symbol and making it a religion put a different spin on a very popular culture.

I figured there would be some orgasmic tie-in to the blood drinking so that wasn't unexpected. Just glad they didn't cheapen it with barely there clothing and beds and such.

I felt like the entire episode could be characterized by the word subtlety. Carmine did a good job with this one and I hope that he can continue to write in the future.

The only criticism I have is that because it was, again, a one-crime episode and Lindsay and Adam were missing, I felt that we saw just a couple too many city shots between scenes.

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

The accents bothered me aswell, the strange thing is I think both the actors are actually British. The dads accent definately went transatlantic a few times and also managed a little tour of south east England in one sentence.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah, they are, which makes it even weirder! he's a baron for god's sake, you'd think he'd know how to talk proper ;):lol: although i guess if he's been living in the us for a while he might have picked it up, and he's part irish too so that might explain it.

tbh south east england pretty much all sounds the same now anyway - i'll put that in my linguistics essay and either fail miserably or be given some kind of award!