Grade 'Sanguine Love'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 3, 2010.

?

How would you grade Sanguine Love?

1. A+

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

First new ep of February sweeps tonight... written by Carmine Giovinazzo! Give it a watch and let us know what you think... :cool:

2. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I don't think I'll ever watch this episode again. I can't put my finger on exactly what put me off, but I didn't like it. I don't think it was the vampire thing because I love Buffy & Angel. I found the episode to be quite boring, in all honesty. I didn't fail it, although it may have deserved it - I gave it a D.

They really need to try to get it together this season.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It was a pretty slow episode, but I think it was well-written and well-acted all around. The guest stars were good - episodes like this remind me why I hate stunt casting because it's much better when actors are portraying the characters. Adam and Lindsay were both missing this week, but I think it was pretty good overall. I could have done without the sexualized ~vampire~ scenes, but that's TV for you.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree. I have to rewatch it because I had distractions, but I pegged the boyfriend from the get go. I really liked that it was a CSI: NY episode and not a Danny episode or, God forbid, a DL episode. For a first try I think Carmine did a decent job. I was happy the soap stars were good, too.

5. Faylinn

The boyfriend was very suspicious - but the actor was good. :)

I'm also glad that it was an NY episode rather than a Danny episode considering that Carmine wrote it - Danny had a lot of scenes, but with Lindsay and Adam both MIA, it makes sense that he'd do more stuff around the lab.

It was definitely a good first try for Carmine. I wouldn't mind seeing him write some more episodes - hopefully they'd deal with different sorts of subjects, though. ;)

LOL, whenever I see 'soap star' in a press release, I'm wary - but they did a good job! :D

6. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I liked this epsidoe. It wasnt the greatest epsidoe CSI:NY ever (that still Yahrzeit IMO) But it was good and I think much better than the episode Melina wrote. I do have to say I was hoping since Carmine wrote it there would be more funny Danny/Flack scenes, but overall I thought it was a fine episode. I thought Carmine did a good job.

I give it a A-

7. Faylinn

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a conscious choice to avoid relationship/friendship overload for his first episode and just go for something case-centric.

I'm curious about why he chose that particular subject matter - like was it something he wanted to write, or was it another writer(s)' idea, you know?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yeah. I think he knows he's a supporting player on the show and went for a CSI: NY episode instead of a Danny episode. I don't think you can get a good reputation as a writer if you do like Melina did and write a self-serving piece that really doesn't make sense with the overall theme of the show.

9. Faylinn

LOL, it sounded silly after I typed it to wonder if he 'deliberately' did anything - it was obviously deliberate, duh Fay. It's not like he accidentally wrote the episode. :lol: You know what I meant, though. :p

If he wants to do more writing, an episode like this is definitely a good thing to have on his resume.

10. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I wasn't aware of Carmine writing it. Cool.

Cool, another BTVS/Angel fan...*Smiles at Sarah*

CSI did this too, with Suckers...not sure if they were lifestyle or sanguine though in that ep.

There are actually like three vamp types...they didn't mention the psychic type, probably 'cause it wasn't relevant.

I was hoping for more followup on Danny's badge, but nothing doing.

11. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Not too bad. :) – Again only one case, but it’s been very well constructed – it kept my attention.

Everybody got their part of action – well, that is everybody present. Even Sid – getting out of his creepy place to bring some insight to Mac. Not too much of Danny (not much at all! ;)) and very few scenes with Stella (but that’s okay – she just had her “lead role” episode). I liked a lot that it was not centered on one character. No trace of Lindsay or Adam in this episode. Too bad, I just could imagine kind of remarks Adam would make on this case.

Opening scene – real winter in NY – beautiful! Trees in the snow, white branches, rays of pale winter sun. Was it really filmed it in NY? :eek: Some of it? :rolleyes: On the second glance, when Stella and Don walk through the park following the photos trail there seemed to be too many green-leaved trees, and later, when they talked to concierge, in the background there was a big green bush with huge red flowers – not quite winter NY scenery. :guffaw:

The music in this episode was very fitting. Just perfect. :thumbsup:

Interview with the boyfriend, with the parents – they all looked good, very believable. I think the guest stars did quite well this time - all of them.

The scene with Mac confronting the victim’s father in the hotel was a bit strange – I would not expect neither the detective being kind of aggressive from the start, nor this discussion happening in the hall (as opposed to being arranged at the precinct or somewhere private).

Mac’ interview with Joseph- the leader of the cult – was great, some replics were outright hilarious.

- You are working in the bloodbank during the day, slashing wrists by night. Are you bloodthirsty? :lol:

- I am deeply disturbed …. by Estelle’s death.
    - You ARE deeply disturbed. – I’ll give you that much. :guffaw:

The scene of the ritual with Estelle being absolutely extatic, if not to say orgasmic – major EEK! :wtf: :eek: Disgusting. Provoking jealousy? I'm not convinced, but what do I know? :shifty: But from there go as far as to kill her – it’s a bit far-fetched. And bite off the ear? :wtf: This guy is even more disturbed. :rolleyes: BTW, it never came up how he got his hands on the ankh and how he afterwards was able to return it to the "haven" – he was not even the member of the cult. :confused:

The last scene with the girl’s father in the park also was a bit stunted. The father thanked Mac for coming – that implies he asked him to come. What for? – They didn’t even talk. :rolleyes: Mac approached, gave him the photos and left right away, without even sitting down, without saying anything. Huh? Run out of time? :lol:

Anyhow, a good episode despite some minor flukes. Carmine did a good job. – I gave it an A-.

12. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

It was a little slow paced compared to other eps, and probably could have benefited from a B plot but that's really my only complaint and considering I've said the same thing about episodes which were penned by a team of people hired specifically for their talents as writers, I'd say this episode stacks up.

Slow or not, I have to echo some of the sentiments here in saying I appreciate any episode that can stand on it's own without a lot of unnecessary stunt casting and what not. This was a simple one, but it was about the case, and didn't neglect to give us some minor insights into the main characters as they worked. By which I mean not dragging us into their bedrooms just to suggest things about their personalities and private lives. In the end, some of the slightly macabre imagery and the running banter that didn't go too far outside the intent of the scene, reminded me a lot of season one episodes which I hold near and dear to my heart.

Hopefully, Carmine will get another stab at it (no pun intended) if he's digging this writing stuff. I think he's earned it.

13. klb

klb Victim

Not a bad episode- I do wonder how much was actually written by Carmine though. Meaning I wonder if the TPB had a general idea of what they wanted (an outline) and then he filled in the details and wrote the script or if the whole thing was his idea.... It seemed a little easy to guess who it was though- knew from the minute the boyfriend appeared, but it was at least an episode that you could watch and not want to turn off the tv.

Did anyone notice the song when Flack and Sheldon?- I believe walked into a place....it was Carmine's!!!!!!

14. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Gave it a F.:scream: Typical season 6 let down, and no Adam. :brickwall: Slow story and to much blood, I had to keep covering my eyes.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I liked it. I have to echo that it was a little on the slow side, and very case-oriented, but the case was easy to follow while still being exciting. I liked the premise of actual “vampires” who suck blood, doing it without fangs or sparkles – instead of vampire-wannabes who just dress up like them and don’t actually do much. Strange that it was a religion; but how appropriate for Sid to know about them :p (kind of disappointed that it was through something as tame as looking it up online, but okay).

I didn’t look too closely at the spoilers for this one either, so I for one was pretty surprised that it was the boyfriend (he did such a good job playing up the grief in his first interrogation). I was totally liking the doorman Flack and Stella talked to for the murder, but in hindsight I guess that wouldn’t make much sense. I feel like there wasn’t a whole lot of originality to this case-story: bubbly girl everyone loved who got killed, grief-stricken parents, killed by (essentially) jealous boyfriend...but it did work, and ended up making for good storytelling, so definitely not a bad job for Carmine’s first try.

Stella kind of disappeared, though; it seems like she wasn’t there all that much, although that could just be an effect from having a lot of her in the last two episodes. Does anyone else feel as though Sid’s kind of subdued lately? He was explaining real-world vampires to Mac, and not one minute of that scene felt like a genuine creepy-Sid moment.

ETA: Crap, did it again...okay, grade. B.

Eta the Sequel: Sorry, which song was Carmine's? I don't remember a scene with Flack and Hawkes...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010