Louise Lombard/Sofia Curtis

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by CSILevel1, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: Sofia Curtis

Hmm i don't think that its really that Sara and Catherine don't like her so much, like Nick and Warrick they don't know her that well, going off on or around her might just be the fact they needed an outlet and she was there.

I don't see Sophia being a replacement or threat to anyone on the team, she is a friend to grissom, she has stood up (while getting demoted) for what was right, earning respect from grissom.

As to Grissom changing well yeah but look back at season 1 and last season he changed then as well, but now he is IMO finding the middle ground between the two.

I also think she was brought in orginially to respond to the investigation, but they kept her on, maybe intending to intergrate her into the cast.
    With Louise's Pregnancy and the unsureity that she will be returning after maternity leave, she might have just been left to finish out her time on the show.

Thing is i don't see her taking up all that much time on the show actually i wouldn't minding them showing more of her she is smart and friendly.

Could be they are thinking if the team didn't work out then they could switch her and catherine around, and swing would go back to being day and occassionally (when she would) sophia would appear to help out, but only as a guest star.

Hey its better then Ecklie being demoted and popping up all the time like in the past. ugg. i wouldn't mind that he gets transfered to a volcano. :D

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Sickos who threaten an actor because they don't like the character he/she is playing aside, Season 5 has been a season of change for CSI, and the fans appear divided on whether these changes add value to the show. I'm in the camp of bring back the old. Not that I'm opposed to change when change is warranted, but some recent changes are ruining this show for me, and I'm a long-time, die-hard fan.

I opposed CSI Greg, and by extension, his replacement in the lab, (which is temporary if rumors that David Hodges will be the DNA guy next Season are true.)

I strongly opposed the addition of Sofia Curtis as a regular since we hardly needed a larger cast. Fans have been bitching about how little air time some of our beloved regulars were already getting, so we certainly didn't need a new face chewing up the scenery. In addition, a huge part of CSI's success was in the chemistry between the main cast. With the recent changes, many of the characters rarely get to interact anymore.

But there are more reasons to want the character of Sofia Curtis gone. If the whispers are true, and she was brought in as a romantic interest for Grissom, this show will go the way of many others that play 'the other woman/man' card ad infinitum. It is the most irritating contrivance to create conflict in an established romantic relationship, IMO, but when it comes to Grissom and Sara, it's plain lazy.

They haven't yet scratched the surface of that relationship, particularly Grissom's intimacy issues. And to make matters worse, we've been led to believe that a good part of the reason he's resisting involvement with Sara is their professional relationship and her age. Enters Sofia, another much younger subordinate (I don't know how old she's supposed to be on the show, but Louise Lombard is two years younger than Jorja Fox), and we're supposed to buy it as a believable progression for Grissom? I don't think so.

I sincerely hope the writers roll up their sleeves and bring us something original in how they develop the characters and the relationships in the future. They shied away from too much character exposition for four years for fear of delving into soap territory. And what do they do when they start focusing a little more on the characters? Hints of Catherine/Warrick, Sara/Greg, Grissom/Sofia... What's next? CSIs do it from midnight to eight?

They had one compelling workplace relationship that was interesting and heartwarming to watch, and they've cheapened it this season, IMO. And that's my beef with the lovely Sofia.

3. Nikka_what

Nikka_what CSI Level Two

I disagree. Greg's "growing up" and moving on into the field is something TPTB have actually gotten right, in my opinion. They took a character and instead of keeping him flat and static, have allowed him to become more than "the funny haired guy playing w/other people's blood and semen." I'm not saying your opinion is bad in anyway, I just disagree with it on that point. ;)

Couldn't have said it better. The whole back and forth w/GSR is incredibly irritating. I don't want CSI to be all who's doing whom in between cases, who's getting jealous of whom, etc. If I want to see that, I'll watch ER. *gags*

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, I should have qualified that statement. I did oppose it in the beginning for two reasons: 1) it added another character to an under-exposed existing cast of CSIs, and two, I liked Greg as funky lab-rat, my comic relief. He was one of my favorite characters for that reason. They did play him too serious in the beginning of his CSI career, and according to ES, the fans didn't like it. They've lightened him up again, and made him a fabulous foil for Grissom. So, although I opposed it in the beginning, I'm okay with it now.

5. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

I like Sofia because she's not a major character who is ruining the show. Obviously Sofia has been demoted from Day Shift and because of that she's having a somewhat hard time adjusting to the new time difference and team but I think that there is no relationship what so ever with her or any characters. To me, she just seems like a female Grissom.

I was tempted to write to the writers to thank them for giving Sofia that line in "Spark of Life". I thought I was the only one noticing Greg's changes.

6. faceoff

faceoff Witness

All these shifts - was anyone else concerned that Grissom didn't recognise the CSI Day Shifts former No 2 in evening wear? I thought it was his hearing he used to have problems with.

So little interaction between CSI shifts would worry me and didn't seem to make sense. They pass in the car park and act completely independently for months? Is this realistic or just lazy writing? :confused:

7. wibble

wibble Corpse

Yes, I agree - though I think the whole of Sophia's introduction was weird. And yes, in the real world, communication between other shifts would be a must. The CSI department probably woudn't be able to exist without it.

I think the writers could've done a better job with Sophia (much better) instead of just throwing her in randomly all of a sudden when the orginal team have been toddling long nicely since. They should've planned it so that you saw glimpses of her (like Archie, Bobby etc.), just small scenes wehre you can work out who she is, what she does/what her job is, and a bit about her personality, before bringing her in big-time. I really hope this wasn't something the writers put together in 5 minutes just to make a point to George and Jorja that they can easily be replaced, because even though I don't mind Sophia, the whole thing's just stupid if this is the case. We want character development and proper interaction - not the consequences of a bust up behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

8. LaCacahuete

LaCacahuete Police Officer

^ I totally agree with the 'seeing Sofia in the background beforehand' thing. I think her introduction was a little unrealistic, but okay. Kind of Grissom-y character-y, how he just doesn't notice people.

Did anyone else think that when she gets in the elevator with Griss for the first time, and says "Hey!", she totally sounds like Sara?

9. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I think you're dead on about the Grissom character, how he sometimes doesn't seem to really notice the people around him (unless it's case-involved). He made it clear he knew who Sofia was when they first met, he simply didn't recognize her in evening wear, and with her hair down (she made a reference to usually wearing a ponytail in the lab). And Grissom's team/Ecklie's team have probably studiously ignored eachother for awhile, you never saw any member of Ecklie's team, just Ecklie. Even though they were all working for the same place, they still felt they were rivals, due to the hard feelings between their respective bosses. And Sofia probably made it a point to avoid Grissom, since all she probably heard about him was bad things, from her own boss, and perhaps even believed some of those things. That's what made it all the more surprising to Ecklie that when he chose her to investigate Grissom, she liked what she saw, realized Grissom was a great honest guy after all, despite what she no doubt heard from Ecklie, and she took the high road. I think their decision to bring her in was so quick, they didn't have much time to foreshadow her presence with innocuous shots in the background, although I agree, that would have been the ideal way to do it. I just don't think there was time.

10. faceoff

faceoff Witness

"I think you're dead on about the Grissom character, how he sometimes doesn't seem to really notice the people around him (unless it's case-involved)."

Absent minded professor one moment and eyes like a laser beam the next? Interesting contrast. Watching him survey a crime scene is mesmeric - and rather spoiled CSI Miami for me. The Great Caruso doesn't come close to Grissom in my opinion. To ready "for my close up Mr de Mille". :devil:

But Gil was very tolerant if not supportive of Sofia's take on crime scene observation - both visually and verbally.

The text book way to bring in a new character was done on The West Wing (Emily Proctor - sigh - she doesn't spoil CSI Miami for me) when Rob Lowe decided to leave. His replacement was introduced over several episodes and was liked (at least by me) when he came in full time.

11. chrissy0

chrissy0 Police Officer

I agree. There has to be a natural progression of some sort when a character gets as much screen time as Greg did. I mean, come on, he got a lot of screen time for a minor character. I think he made every episode of the show so far (correct me if I'm wrong, he may have been absent from a few eps).

Anyway, back on topic, I like Sophia. I think I might even like her and Grissom as a couple. They're both quite unique characters, and that might just work.

12. LaCacahuete

LaCacahuete Police Officer

I can see Sofia with Grissom more than I can see Sara with him, but to be honest, I don't think either 'ship will ever happen; Grissom's just not that kinda guy. He's independant. He's doomed to be a bachelor forever. :lol:

I kinda like seeing Sofia annoy Sara with her actions towards Grissom. I don't know why. I guess I'm just a bitch. :D

13. faceoff

faceoff Witness

The only real relationship I have seen Grissom have was that ill-fated one with that Dominatrix ages ago. I think he is better off remaining a bachelor if he cannot see that the likes of Sara, Sofia Curtis et al would be preferable as a long term companion

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay let me remind people that shipper discussions in shipper forum, sorry have to add that in, and spoilers in the lab, again had to add that in.

This is to discuss Louise/Sofia (though i spell it Sophia). :lol:

15. Tazzer

Tazzer CSI Level Two

Love her from the get go and still love her. Finally a strong, intelligent, level-headed woman on CSI that isn't out just for herself.

Sofia showed her morals when she stood up for Gil and didn't whine or complain when Ecklie unfairly demoted her. She was extremely helpful to young Greg and has been nothing but a team player. She is the kind of woman TV needs more of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.