Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

Troy was on tv yesterday. It was quite good and I really enjoyed it. But neither Orlando Bloom as Paris nor Diane Kruger as Helen was a good choice. That was somewhat disappointing to me. But apart from that it's all in all a great movie. Even I liked Brad Pitt as Achilles and I'm actually not a fan of him.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ I didn't like that movie at all, but I couldn't fault Eric Banna in his role. He was outstanding. And I never have anything bad to say about Peter O'Toole. The man is a legend for a reason.

I just saw Sherlock Holmes and I gotta say I really liked it, despite some trepidation beforehand. All the commercials I saw made it look like this big, mindless action movie adaptation and it wasn't really like that at all. I mean yeah, there was obviously action, but the big action sequences turned out to be good enhancements to a pretty cool film all round. Great performances by RDJ and Jude, and Rachel McAdams was pretty decent too. I like how Guy Ritchie uses Mark Strong a lot too- he's fantastic, and I've been a fan of his for years. Is this a commercial film? For sure, but it's a pretty stylish one and I'd totally recommend checking it out on the big screen if you can.

3. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

Oh yes that's true Eric Bana did a great job here. But before Troy I've never really noticed him... :confused:

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yesterday I watched Sherlock Holmes and I must say this was a very interesting movie for manny many reasons.

First of all I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels. Sherlock Holmes definetely is an interesting detective (if want to define him like that) and I'm quite sure lots of people do see some resemblance between this character/novel and the whole CSI:Franchise. Sherlcock Holmes is famous all over the world for his attitude towards details, science and experiments as well as the CSI:Franchise which originally was based on science and scientific experiment.
    Certainly the movie wasn't exactly like the novels, but the true essence of the character was there.

I have never watched any movie directed by Mr. Guy Ritchie. All I knew about the guy before yesterday was that he was a director who happened to marry Madonna some years ago and they now are divoreced. So I honestly didn't know what to expect from him. I find myself saying that he did an excellent job. I never thought I could speak highly of the guy, but I must do it. Definetly, this has become my favourite movie of the year. Really great job Mr. Ritchie :thumbsup:

Plus I usually don't like the period of time when the whole storyline is set, but probably because I love Sherlock Holmes, I found this movie very modern as well :thumbsup:

Now on the movie in itself I'm going to spend a few words
    Robert Downey Jr. was an excellent choice to portray Sherlock Homes. He made the protagonist so funny to watch. Certainly there were some hilarious scenes.

Plus I loved how at the beginning of the movie you couldn't understand anything of certain actions of the guy (like picking up some "evidence" or licking the rock at the cemetery), but ones on the bridge, the whole explanation of why he had done those things was simply terrific!!
    Also the whole plotline was quite good and pretty clever, not to mention....modern!

I have never enjoyed Watsone too much, but I have to say Jude Law was an excellent choice. He and Rober worked very well together.

The only little bit of the movie was the main female character (Irene) I've always thought she was part of the bad people, but at a certain point of the movie I found myself saying "oh well she's good" and then at the end of the movie I was :wtf:...yep her storyline was rather confusing! At this point I find myself wanting something more.

Yep, I enjoyed this movie...a lot!

5. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

The Hangover, funny film although I expected a bit more. Nevertheless worthwhile watching.

6. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I saw Avatar yesterday with my dad. The 3D effects were spectacular. However, the story was lacking. It was so obvious what was going to happen that I just wanted to sleep. Plus, it was about an hour too long. What made the movie good was the effects and that Zoe Saldana was in it. That wasn't enough for me to think it was the best film of the year. Sure it was good, but I counted about five different obvious elements from other movies. And so I just thought it okay. It takes more to make a movie than pretty colors.

7. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I saw Babel for the 5th time yesterday. Amazing film! Multiple storylines, but one thing in common. And in the end all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place. Just like in Alejandro González Iñárritu's Amores Perros and 21 Grams, which are also fantastic movies. Brad Pitt really showed everyone that hess not just a pretty boy, strong acting performance. That also goes for Cate Blanchett, Adriana Barazza (the nanny in the film), Gael Garcia Bernal and Rinko Kikuchi (the deaf girl). Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time and one of the best films of the decade.

8. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I saw Paranormal Activity earlier, a friend said that it scared her and knew that I love horror movies. But this is absolutely the worst crap that I've ever watched, it didn't scare me one bit! Not to mention that most of it looks so fake, this movie is en epic fail! Waste of time watching this one.

Terminator Salvation This movie has to be my absolute favorite out of the series, I especially loved Marcus (see signature below :lol:)

Van Wilder: Freshman Year eh, the only reason I watched this movie was because it had Jonathan Bennett in it and I got it as a free rental, it was actually pretty decent and a lot better than the one starring Ryan Reynolds as Van Wilder. Some of the parts were a bit much, but all in all it was entertaining.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i saw its complicated with my mom last night and loved it! it was very funny, the whole theatre was in stitches! i really like meryl streep so enjoyed her performance, and alec baldwin and steve martin were good as well. john krasinski had a small role, but he was hilarious. i really enjoyed his character. it was a fun movie and i would recommend it if you are looking for a comedy.

10. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I was watching Freedom Writers the other day. Now that movie made me cry so many times! I was really touched by the effort Erin Gurnwell put into those kids. And to think how one life touches another, than another & so on.

It got me thinking about one thing though... If every street kid or silly impractical person were told of the Holocaust, how would they react to it?

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

"NINE" We were horrified at how abominable this was. We almost walked out twice, [ a couple next to us did] but suffered through it. Boy did Rob Marshall drop the ball on this bomb:scream: After the sensational "CHICAGO":confused: The cast are fabulous, but how can they do a good job with crap. It was set in Italy in 1968. Daniel Day-Lewis stunk. He's not handsome, charming, charismatic nor interesting he mumbles, and he always looked like he needed to shampoo his hair, it looked all greasy. He had done films that were hits. [we never saw any clips of them and was trying to do another one. Judy Densch how embarassing for this seasoned actress. Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson, and Fergie and his wife [don't know her] were all so awful, and their all great actresses. And were all nuts over him EWWW:klingon: It was choppy, disconnected and just awful, what a disapointment. I give this a big fat F~

12. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

Ah I've seen the one with Ryan Reynolds a few days ago. It was just disappointing. Ryan Reynolds is probably the only reason to watch that movie... and sad but true the same applies to his other movie Just Friends. Well, only Anna Faris as this crazy pop singer Samantha James is maybe a little highlight there.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

ugh, i have been fooled again! i went to rent a movie with a friend, and we were using a list of "top 10 horror movies of the last decade". well, none of the ones we wanted to see were there, so my friend mentions she has never seen exorcism of emily rose. those kind of movies usually freak the heck out of me so i thought why not.

i feel deceived. this movie is 90% court room drama, 10% scary movie. the court room scenes are never shown in the trailer, had i known the movie focused on the trial i would have skipped it. the exorcism scene was actually pretty freaky, but that was only about 10 minutes of the two hour movie. the trial really dragged the pace of the movie and made it pretty boring. i would definitely say skip this movie, it was terrible.

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Aww but lawyers and courtrooms sometimes can be more scarey then someone hiding in the basement or closet. :lol: I mean think about it, "oh your the physco that those people not in the movie are screaming to not go near? my bad, I so didn't know this was a law firm." :wtf: Which is like saying to the actual movie physco "Oh your the bad dude who is suppost to scare me, make me screech like a scream, and then kill me? hmm okay let me get the advil, a glass of water and this is freshly washed so could ya not be messy?" :guffaw:

*Disclaimer: this post was not meant to antagonize, put down or attack, the law or physco communities.* ;)

15. allmaple

allmaple Judge

:lol: good point D. i guess they were going for something different, to try and not follow the typical "exorcist" type movie plot. but i just thought the trial was boring and would have like the focus to be on the possession, the actress did a good job of that part.
    my friend and i were under the blanket for those parts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.