Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

"INVICTUS",WOW, Intense movie. It wasn't the life story from his early days and the fight for Aparathid or his 27 years in prison, but of Nelson Mandela and his life from 1990 to 1995, and his love for Rugby. The World Cup game~Strange game for us, I didn't get the whole concept. South Africa an amazing place, what was sad was the "shanty towns" so many. I said to my partner, I'll bet Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon are nominated for an Oscar, for their portrayal of Nelson Mandela and Francois the Lead Rugby player who was at odds with the president in the earlier stages of the movie but became enamored with him, after he invited him in for a chat. The bleached Matt's hair and he got the S. Africian accent down pat. Morgan Freeman, [Mandela wanted him to play this role] riveting performance as always.:bolian: and Clint Eastwood directed it~& he was nominated for a Golden Globe~

PS. They both [Matt and Morgan] just got nominated for a Golden Globe, I highly recommend that you all see this great historical movie :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Mandela

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

The children.

I liked the story. Two families who want to celebrate christmas together in a house located in the country (middle of nowhere). Where the children starts to act weird. But it became silly. The adults act like freaks who have lost their minds. The children are not even scary, they are just odd. The movie actually drove me insane. It doesn't make sense anywhere. And I dislike the fact that we never found out why the children started to kill their parents and an older sister (a teenager). They just became sick and started to kill them. Which makes the end even worse. I won't tell what happened, but it's not understandable at all.

The movie was simply crap, if I can be honest. I can't really say it in a nice way.

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Up in the Air.

A good film, for sure, but I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Good performances, a different story (and it was a bit depressing, despite the comic stuff) and overall reasonably entertaining, but I don't know... I'm not quite thinking Golden Globe material. Then again, what do I know? :lol:

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Avatar- Just saw this today. Very good movie. Very vibrant colors throughout the movie with the scenery and all (lots of my two favorite colors- purple and turquoise lol). Lots of cool looking creatures in it too. :) It was very visually pretty, but making it in 3D was a waste. Not much was even in 3D except for blades of grass and such. And parts where the characters were running through the forest and whatnot were so blurry and hard to see through the 3D glasses that I had to take them off a few times. So, if you go see this movie, you may want to save the extra dollar or so and just see the 2D version. Oh and just to warn you, this movie is about 2 hrs and 45 mins long!

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i also saw avatar on friday and thought it was fantastic. now, i went into the movie not really wanting to see it and was going because my boyfriend picked it. well i am so glad he did! i loved the visuals of the movie, i cant even begin to imagine how much work went into the animation. you forget that the people arent real.

i actually thought the 3d was done very well. i do not like when they have things flying out of the screen, it comes across as cheesy and gimicky. the way it was used in this movie gave depth to the world and made you feel like you were there, similar to the 3d in up. yes it got blurry when they were running around, but i think that was intentional as it was probably the animation and not the 3d at that point. again, you felt like you were running around with them.

i would highly recommend this movie on the big screen to do it justice :)

6. GregNickRyanFan

You're right, it probably was the animation as the cause of the blurriness. I think the unpleasantness for me during that type of scene may have been more dizzing because I was wearing the 3d glasses over my regular glasses. I just didn't feel like messing with my contact lenses that day. :lol: Now I wish that I had worn them instead of my glasses.

But I just wish that they would have had those cool flying creatures in 3d. I wanted to see them flying in my face, so to speak. :lol: Those things were freakin' cool. Kind of like a cross between a dragon and a pteradactyl. And you're right, it was done so well that it was hard to believe that the characters were done with digital animation. They looked very real.

Oh and while we're talking about 3D, they totally should have made the Jurassic Park movies in 3D! :lol:

Edited to add: Just saw "all about steve" yesterday. Not at all what I expected. Not a bad movie at all, but nothing I'd watch a second time.
    It's so refreshing to see something that isn't predictable for a change... even if part of me wanted it to be. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  7. GregNickRyanFan

The Telling- First of all, kind of a stupid title even if it does fit with the story. :lol: The movie itself wasn't terrible, but it was definitely a B Horror movie. :lol: If you can call it horror... it felt more like a Tales From the Crypt kind of thing. But most of the acting in it wasn't all that great. :lol:

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

The Belle of New York- Fred Astaire and Vera Ellen. did not finish the movie is wasn't that good. Vera Ellen was really good in "On the Town" with Gene Kelly more than she was in this. the story was blah but the scenery and sets were really good.

Shall We Dance- Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. like most of the pair's movies the plot isn't the best but of course the music and dancing is fantastic.

The Pirate- Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. i wasn't expecting this movie to be good b/c it just sounded odd and the movie didn't do well when it came out. i was very surprised to find myself laughing and enjoying the movie very much. Judy Garland had some great comical senes especially one scene with Gene Kelly where she was trying to throw stuff at him for lying to her haha.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ I loved The Pirate! Don't know if you ever managed to check out Kelly's The Three Musketeers, but I think it may actually be my favourite version, which came as a shock to me at the time I watched it. :)

I finally saw Avatar, and WHOH. Crazy cool movie. Yeah, yeah- I see the "Dances With Aliens" storyline, but it was still just such a feast for the eye I don't really care. Man oh man. I saw it in 3D, but at times I was thinking it would have been fine to see it in 2D- the 3D wasn't really that necessary to make it so cool to watch. Sam did a bang up job and I'm sure we're going to start seeing more and more of him, for sure. A really strong performance, albeit in a much smaller role, was by Giovanni Ribisi, who I often find is underrated. He always does such a great job, and this role is no exception. Sigourney and co. were awesome, and now I have a better understanding why they wrote the lab geeks waiting in line for Avatar tickets on "Bones" a few weeks back. ;)
    Check it out kids; it will change the industry (again) without a doubt.

10. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

^i agree Avatar was awesome!

that last film i saw was "Sherlock Holmes". Robert Downey Jr. is amazing in this one!! Jude Law and Rachel McAdams were excelent as well. i especially enjoyed the chemestry between Sherlock and Irene, they were hilarious(great job Robert and Rachel!)

the story in general kept you guessing. it had humor, action, mystery, and at times had you at the edge of your seat. it was better than what i expected. an excellent film.

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I just saw NINE and it was very good. Fergie was a great addition to the cast with her amazing vocal abilities.

The plot line was weak, but the performances were strong so that made up for it.

12. GregNickRyanFan

Super Capers- Gosh this was so stupid, but stupid-funny. Not nearly as bad as all of those "Scary Movie" flicks. :lol: Still, I wouldn't watch it a second time.

13. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

There really wasn't much plot at all - it was mostly centered around his midlife/creative crisis and his marital problems, so it didn't really have anywhere to go (besides to tell us how his crises were resolved).

I admit, it was difficult for me to sympathize with the main character. I've been in the wife's place, so it's hard for me to root for the cheating husband when I know how incredibly painful it was for the wife. I suppose it helps that he truly regretted it and genuinely wanted to mend their relationship in the end. *shrug* I tried to distance myself from the story as much as I could, but it was tough.

I think the way the movie ended,

with his new grown-up outlook on his work and his sense of childlike hope (represented by the actor who played his childhood self) sitting together in the directors chair, was a great nod to his first number. Apparently the universe CAN give him what he wants - he can be young and old at the same time.
    Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome, of course. Marion Cotillard was beautiful and flawless, of course. Nicole Kidman was eclectic and slightly out of place. Kate Hudson was annoying. Penélope Cruz made a fantastic crazy person. I don't think I've ever disliked Judi Dench in ANY role, so of course I adored her. And Fergie was surprisingly bad-ass, especially her big number.

My sister actually came out of the theater saying "Dude... FERGIE was the best part of the movie!!! What the HELL??"

Hehe. :lol:

14. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Avatar! One word: awesome! I was rather sceptical because films like that usually lack in the plot or the effects department but not this one. Complex plot, amazing effects ... perfect. We watched it in 3D and it was mind-blowing, definitely worth every cent!

15. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

- Silk Stockings= Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse. the movie is a musical version of "Ninotchka" starring Greta Garbo. haven't seen the original yet i have it recorded. the musical wasn't bad, anything with Cyd Charisse in just amazes me she was such a fabulous dancer. i liked hearing Charisse with a Russian accent it was good and quite entertaining. Peter Lorre was in this movie was well and he was singing and dancing.... not very well haha. even at 58 years old Fred Astaire was still playing the unmarried lovesick guy, old plot but it always works.

- Key Largo= Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. i think Lauren Bacall had maybe 3 pages worth of lines the whole movie most of her stuff was all direction. the story was pretty good, it comes from a stage play of the same name and it's obvious throughout the movie where it originally came from. of course Humphrey Bogart is the hero. some trivia: the boat at the end of the movie is the same boat Bogart also sailed in "To Have and Have Not" his first movie with Bacall.

- Roman Holiday= Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. i wasn't expecting to like this movie b/c after seeing My Fair Lady i really did not like Audrey Hepburn. but now i must say she was great in the movie as well as Peck. i enjoyed that the movie was filmed in Italy, all the places they went in the movie i want to go to myself. the story was typical but it was cute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.