Grade 'Second Chances'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 16, 2009.

?

How would you grade Second Chances?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. A

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hammer227

hammer227 Rookie

A+

i'm a SMacked shipper *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

TOOOOOOOTALLY LOVED IT!!!

this epi was great, that tree convo between Mac and Stella was priceless!!!and the hug at the end was just AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

yep definately A+

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Wait, so, Stella has only been out of college for ten years, fewer if she was talking to Mac about something that happened before her senior year? The same Stella who was thirty-three ir thirty-four in "Grounds for Deception, and who had been Mac's partner for ten years as of S1, which was in 2004-5? Which would mean that Stella was Mac's partner before she graduated college, let alone the police academy. And we know that the lab wasn't her first beat because she mentioned her first shoplifting collar as a uniformed officer to Mac in S3--"...Comes Around", I believe. In order for Stella to have been in college ten years ago and been Mac's partner for ten years and be thirty-five, she would have had to have been Mac's partner in junior high, left the force to attend college, and then return in 1995, the same year she graduated the academy in "Cold Reveal". This timeline is a wreck. There is no way you could convince me that the writers put any thought into the lines they write beyond their utility to the storyline of the moment. Would it kill them to hire a Trekian number nerd to help them maintain a coherent continuity?

Aside from that glaring assault upon their long-suffering viewers' intelligence, "Second Chances" was a solid, enjoyable episode, with far less treacle and WASPy moralizing than I feared. The villains of the piece were so dreadful that I wanted Mac to smack them down, and he didn't disappoint. His indignation wasn't the histrionic, smug, holier-than-thou self-congratulation of seasons 2-6, but the more recognizable and human disgust of a cop who's seen it all and wishes he hadn't, who's tired of people treating each other like garbage for greed and the sheer, nasty pleasure of it. It was refreshing, and I wish we could see more of it instead of the smirking, oily, suprahuman superiority that permeates so many of his interactions with others.

The victims in this case were truly victims, guilty of nothing but trusting another human being. Too often, the victims are wealthy entitlement whores who've cheated or swindled or otherwise unwisely manipulated someone else, who then dispenses a rather brutal comeuppance purportedly disproportionate to the offense committed. No one deserves to be murdered, of course, but some folks derive a great deal of satisfaction from tempting the bull by abusing others for their own gain or amusement. These victims were true victims, brought back from the brink, only to be snuffed out for the enrichment of wealthy women who saw them as vermin of which to dispose.

The case was well-constructed, and the guest stars acquitted themselves admirably. Kim Kardashian can't act, but she was used sparingly, and pairing her with Eddie Cahill, who can coax a bravura performance from a used toerag, ensured minimal damage. Mr. Train singer did remarkably well, too.

This does not mean, however, that the show needs more stunt casting. It doesn't.

Dear Eddie Cahill,

I love you, but what's with the hair? The short crown and back coupled with the wedged bang made you look like a valued customer at Drunk Cuts. Have you and Carmine irked the stylist with an ill-advised prank?

Yours,

Guera

The ending scene was pure cheese and Christmas schmaltz, but it was fun, harmless cheese. Everyone looked adorable in their elf costumes, and I loved that everyone was willing to drop everything to help the kids. Flack was positively gleeful to receive his costume and rally the affable Cooper for last-minute Santa duty, and I can't help but wonder if he saw it as a chance to reclaim a measure of the humanity and decency that his execution of Simon Cade stripped from him. This is the guy he wants and has always believed himself to be, and his comment to Kim Kardashian that "anyone can commit murder" clearly shows that the act still haunts him.

I could've done without the ubiquitous "Lalala, we're MARRIED, so MARRIED" moments from Danny and Lindsay. The hug at the Christmas party was nice, but the wink at the lab made me want to pull Danny's eyelid down over his scrotum. Why can Danny no longer function without reassuring himself that he and Lindsay are together? The screaming Pamper Hoover that's being raised by unseen shoe gnomes should provide ample proof that he and Lindsay have engaged in the Winky Waxing of Twu Wub. Does anyone remember when Danny was interesting? I miss that Danny.

Still, it wasn't enough to ruin what was a good episode. B+ It would've gotten an A if the writers hadn't turkey-slapped Stella's timeline for convenience. Again.

3. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Well, I kind of liked the episode. But I didn't like the majority of it.

Did we ever see that girl from the beginning again? I don't remember. And I didn't really care. It was a little awkward seeing Mac and Stella like that since they haven't been too close this season. But then hearing them talk, they sounded like my mom and dad sometimes. Like really good friends. So that made me feel better.

Mac wasn't as much of a douche (pardon my French) this episode. I liked that.

Okay, I LIKED all the charity stuff. I'm so annoyed with people getting so wrapped up in the gifts (no pun intended ;)). But what's wrong with volunteering? I love volunteering. Plus, those kids need those gifts. Also, it's better than them ignoring the people that need help. Not everyone in New York lives richly. They need to stop acting like they do.

However, I HATED Danny's sweater. The entire time I saw him in it my thoughts were "Danny, do they sell men's clothes where you bought that sweater?" It was a gross sweater.

My favorite line was probably Flack telling Kim Kardashian's character "Do you want to make an ass of yourself?" since SNL had made fun of her butt a couple weeks ago I think.

I thought Lindsay was okay this episode. She does have Danny whipped though.

Why were Adam and Sid not there? It made me so sad. And if we're exchanging them for guests, can the guest stars actually be convincing? For me it was either the writing or the actors. It wasn't believable. I had a hard time believing that they were that evil. They let them into their homes and then two years later killed them? I just don't understand how they could just kill them without caring one way or the other about them after two years of closeness.

So that's my two cents. I can't really remember anything else since it was from so long ago ;)

4. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

This episode was way to schmaltzy! Maybe it's the mood I'm in today (just got back from helping 3rd graders with their Christmas party) but I thought was sappy.

Yeah, I know it was a holiday episode, and you were supposed to 'feel good' after watching it, but I felt sort of MEH.

Maybe it was the guest cast (besides the guy from Train, and Kim Kardashian) I didn't know who the rest of the actors were??? :wtf:

I read TOP's review before I had a chance to see it all. I started to on Wednesday night but I found myself dozing off a few times, I had to catch it online yesterday to see the whole thing.

One thing I can say (that TOP mentioned in her review) is that the plot to kill the homeless men was bone-chilingly cold. I mean what person in their right mind does that???? Take people off the street with the premise you are going to help them, give them two years in a luxury life-style, then KILL THEM??? I guess that's the idea, these ladies weren't in their right mind or they did it for fun??? whatever it was, it was horrible!

And yes, had both ladies been played with people I actually knew who they were and were better actors then possibly the whole premise could have come off better to me. Again, the idea was horrible and sort of interesting in a twisted sort of way, but wasn't quiet pulled off by the actress they chose to play said characters.

The end was more schmaltzy, with everyone but Mac and Stella dressing up like elves. I like the idea of them giving presents to kids this time of year, but were the elf costumes necessary?

But, also on a good note, LOVE Mac and Stella next to each other. Something that's been missing between them. I have to say, I like them together. I love how they fight and make up and push at each other. I know it would ruin the show if it came out that *POOF* they are a couple. Yeah I agree that would be a turn off. But keep them close and give us hints at it now and again. That would do it for me. :D

Grade B- for the schmaltz factor.

5. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Mac and Stella..... hmmm there's definitely something more there then them just being friends. i loved the opening with them it was adorable.

Kardashian and Mannillo (SP?) being the killers was awesome!! usually when some crime shows stunt cast the stunt castees are never usually the killers (my observation i could be wrong). what puzzles me is Gary Sinise is a producer on the show doesn't he get a say in who gets casted? Kim Lardassian was horrible, she gorgeous but her acting is terrible.

seriously LaLa? where the hell has she been for the past few years. even my grandma was saying that NY was scraping the barrel of the bowl with the guest stars.

the ending was a bit much for me with the team dressed up as elves. i'm a scrooge i hate it when shows do holiday eps for some reason.

the ep wasn't too bad but it wasn't the greatest...... which seems to be the pattern this year so far.

6. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

At the end when Stella was passing out the elf costumes, did she hand one to Flack twice? I wasn't watching closely but it seemed as though she did.

7. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

this was a good episode. but personally, i liked last season's christmas episode (forbidden fruit) better even if there was not much emphasis on "christmas".

the stunt casting. well. hmm. what's there to say? haha. i think pat did good. lala did good too. with kim and vanessa, they need to work on their acting a bit more, but they did perform better than i thought they would lol.

i liked the opening scene with mac and stella and mac telling her about the taylor christmas tradition. loved the last part too. i thought flack would complain about the elf costume, but it seemed like he was more than willing to wear it. haha.

i miss adam and sid. would've been extra fun if adam had his elf costume too. :p

and btw, wasn't there supposed to be a scene where vanessa's character asks flack if he's married and he hesitates? or maybe i just wasn't paying too much attention.

i give it a B+.

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

If i have to describe the episode, the episode i will use is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I have watched many other Christmas episodes in many other shows and i loved them all but this one was really special:bolian:.Why? Because of affections, because of relationships, because the family feeling, because it only belongs to CSI NY. Being the third show of the same franchise it was a challenge for writers and producers because you could never avoid comparisons fans do
    "Oh, we have seen that storyline before" "Meh, i have seen that in Miami last year" "Oh noes,this was made in Vegas in S1"

But this was a pure CSI NY and the essence of it it's how they solve things together and they act like a FAMILY, which, for me, it delights me, because we could see those wonderful intereactions among characters and all of them with a very well definited behaviour:bolian:

The beginning was PURE JOY for me:adore::adore::adore:. I can't ask any further. I had to blink several times;). Is this the serious Mac Taylor who felt miserable at the beginning of the entire show?:eek::eek:. Was this possible?-i asked myself:hugegrin:
    And i am glad all his memories are not sad; he can have memories of happiness regarding his family and his traditions :D
    And who was there for him (as always)? The same woman who has been there for a decade now:adore::adore::adore:, his strentgh for last 6 years:adore::adore:. Stella, who also shines in Christmas:hugegrin:. There were not sad memories for her either. It was like she is healed after knowing the truth on her origin so i am not surprised she wanted to participate for that charity event. She knows what to be an orphan is so helping other, helping those little brothers and sisters, it was like helping herself too. Don't worry, Stell, you are loved ;)

I wasn't surprised either she tried to help that poor guy. She could have ended on the streets too but somehow she found a way in her life:bolian:.

Btw in the moment I found out there was a “Debora” I KNEW she was going to be the killer:guffaw:. All Deborahs are always killers on tv (sorry but I LOVE IT!:guffaw::guffaw:)
    I REALLY felt impressed for that scene inside the interrogation room. I felt COLD specially when the gal said “We gave him the life he was not suppose to live” or something like that. I truly enjoyed the guy’s reaction (good performance!) but mainly Stella’s to that. She looked very upset and for a second I thought she shed a tear. Also, probably it is just a silly impression, but having Stella offering a coffee to the guy made the scene more natural. It wasn’t just two characters talking but two characters doing something everyone would do under that same situation:bolian::bolian:
    The last scene was just so so SO sweet. It just made stronger the idea of “Family” but we had two wonderful characters missing: Sid and Adam.I assume Aj’s and Robert’s contracts don’t let them to be in any single episode of this season but their space couldn’t be filled by any other character. They have won their own space in the fandom:bolian::bolian::bolian:

So KUDOS for all good feelings and intentions our whole cast and crew put on this episode. It is very appreciated:hugegrin::hugegrin::hugegrin:

Debbs;)

ps: BTW I LOVE THE FINAL SONG. I LOVE TRAIN!:hugegrin::beer::angel:
    ps2: Why the kis on the forehead wasn't kept between Mac and Stella. DARN IT1 That would have been GREAT!:lol:

9. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Earlier Hawkes made mention to Sid.

10. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Talking about Danny and Linsay, i think their moments were sweet and i didn't find annoying what Danny said about Lindsay and The BOOM word because i think she was joking and Danny knew that

(I just can't belive this but i did like them this time LOL)

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

You're right, the original spoilers indicated that there would be an exchange like that - but I guess they changed things (or edited that part out) because I didn't hear it either.

12. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

ok, I know i'm really late doing this, but here's my two cents for what it's worth.

Let's just get the bad stuff over with first....

- the guest "stars"............need i say more?:rolleyes: I give huge kudos to our beloved cast for being able to somehow act convincingly opposite those lifeless dolls.

- from a realism perspective, there were a few things that really bothered me. One does not simply take a drug addict off the street, dress them nice, enroll them in rehab, and have them come out perfect and rising stars. The real-life path is exponentially more difficult and fraught with setbacks and failures.

- The lifeless dolls.....

- And that part where Stella asked Sam what he was going do now, and he replied that he didn't know, really rubbed me the wrong way. Was he suddenly helpless and aimless now that those two were going to jail? I thought he was supposed to be an up and coming music star? Sure, he just found out that they were going to kill him, and that would be rattling to say the least, but it shouldn't have any influence on whether you continue on with your life's course!!

- Did I mention the lifeless dolls?

- No Sid or Adam?!! They would have PERFECT in this ep! At least they needent have made so glaringly obvious as when Hawkes blatently filled in for the absent Sid....

ok, now the good parts!! :D

- The whole beginning with Mac and Stella!!!!!! The banter, the joking, the sharing of stories, Mac in a leather jacket................:drool::drool::devil: though I was disappointed they weren't taking that tree to either of their apartments!!!! :devil::devil:

- Danny and Flack!! Awesome!! :D And I REALLY REALLY hope Lucy's first word is 'BOOM'!!

- YAY, that horribly schmalzty promo line of Mac's had been taken out of context, and Gary salvaged it and made it as un-nauseating as only he could!!! :D

- All the little Mac/Stella looks/interactions!!! :hugegrin:

- And the end, as feel-goody as it was, was really fun!!!

- Do I even NEED to mention the hug at the end!!!! :hugegrin:

Overall, it would have been a good ep (no, not great: just a wee bit too much obvious schmaltz) had the whole thing not been dragged down a full letter grade for me by those two "stars". So there you go TPTB, you would've gotten an A- from me, but now you only get a B- for casting idiocy!!!! :rolleyes:

13. mulder8scullly5

mulder8scullly5 Prime Suspect

I love your review! :D I love TRAIN as well!

I was looking for that ps2 as well. :thumbsup:

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Loved the line about Linds being afraid that Lucy's first word would be "boom". :lol: I'm sure it was just a joke... but the idea of that being her first word is funny. I can see why someone wouldn't want it to be their kid's first word though. Most parents want the first word to be "mama" or "dada", so...

But, I'm utterly confused. Last we heard Lucy's age, she was ten months old wasn't she? And yet she's not speaking yet? Ten months is almost a year old. Shouldn't she have had her first word by now? :lol:

:guffaw: That would be hysterical! Or if one of the others on the team said it around Lucy and she repeated it. :lol: I can see it being Adam or Flack for some reason. :lol: Probably Flack. :lol:

Kim Kardashian is not that great an actress. Sorry, but her first scene was just painful and highly distracting. Vanessa wasn't too bad, but she could use a few acting lessons... or at the very least an acting coach. But Kim needs A LOT of help. Sorry to say. :lol: I don't know who Lala is, but if that is the one whose identity was stolen, I thought she was pretty good acting wise. The guy from Train did a very good job I thought. Kim's second scene wasn't as bad as the first, but that first scene was just cringeworthy. Vanessa's last scene with Mac where she was being all cold blooded killer was pretty good I thought. It kind of gave me a chill. :lol: Just the way a criminal should.

OMG! Kim's voice as she's saying what all they gave the victims (the place they lived and all of that)... she sounded like she was doing a voice over for a commercial! Yikes!

The team looked cute in their elf costumes. Hawkes was just adorable. Loved the Mac/Stella hug at the end. Their friendship is displayed very well in the show I think. :)

I'm a little bothered that Sid and Adam weren't in the ep... but I'm hoping AJ was filming another ep of Supernatural (no idea if he'll return to that show or not, just hoping lol).

I gave it a D+ cause there were some things I liked about the ep... but it would have gotten a better grade if Adam (and Sid) had been there and if Kim Kardashian had not been there. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  15. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Grade = B

This episode was similar to the previous one (“Death House”) for me. It had some flaws but overall kept me interested and entertained.

Since I don’t watch “The Closer” the plot wasn’t familiar, so I actually found the case premise interesting and despite having read some spoilers, I wasn’t quite sure how it would all play out. Overall, I think they balanced the interviews, interrogations, and lab scenes fairly well and gave the regular actors decent screen time. I wish Sid and Adam had been there for the ending scene, but I think it might’ve been tough to include them in the actual case and still give everyone meaningful roles.

As for the stunt casting, I had heard of Kim K. but not the other two and probably wouldn’t have recognized any of them if not for the prior publicity. I agree that the singer, Pat M. was the best “actor” of the three – he seemed the most natural and believable. For the most part, I thought Vanessa M. was ok, although at times she seemed a bit “artificial,” but her acting was decent enough that I wasn’t quite sure of her involvement until the end. Kim K.’s acting was weak and didn’t project much warmth or personality, and she stuck out as a potential “villain” from the start.

I didn’t mind the volunteerism / do good theme either ….For a holiday episode, it was fitting, and I thought the first and last scenes were great bookends for the theme. Very cute first scene with Mac and Stella – they continue to have one of the best relationships on the show. I don’t think we’ve seen Mac that relaxed and animated since….well, ever…, and I thought it was funny how he kept taking one hand off the tree to point, gesture, etc. while poor Stella was trying to hold on with both arms. It was a nice touch to show a different side of Mac and hear him sharing a happy family memory.

Re: Stella’s “memories,” I agree with some of La Guera’s thoughts about Stella’s history. And even though the memory Stella shared wasn’t too controversial, I find myself cringing now whenever she talks about her background and history because it reminds me that according to GfD, she is supposed to be about 35 years old, which still doesn’t quite compute. It’s really unfortunate because I’d love to see them do some type of flashback episode – maybe to Mac’s and Stella’s first case – but I don’t know if the writers can do that in a realistic way and still make sense of Stella’s convoluted background. Oh well….

Enjoyed the ending scene, too. Yeah, the elf costumes were corny but seeing Santa and happy children never gets old for me. And it was especially good to see Flack looking so happy again. When Stella gave him the elf costume, he really did look like he couldn’t wait to put it on. Nice to see the shots of each smiling team member and the hug at the end, too. Aww…..I agree it would’ve been nice if Mac and Stella had dressed up as Mr. and Mrs. Santa, but I guess they wanted the observant Mom/Dad vibe at the end.

Things that pulled my grade down from an A? Well, for the case itself, I thought there were a few elements that seemed too convenient like the abandoned car and the phone number on the medical form. Also, I thought it was a bit of overkill to make the first victim be someone that Stella had tried to help. And as others mentioned, the final reveal wasn’t quite as compelling as it could’ve been if perhaps the actresses had presented stronger, more nuanced performances.

Despite its flaws though, this episode had a lot of things that I liked and left me with an overall positive feeling about CSINY, which is a good note to end on going into the holiday hiatus.