Grade 'Death House'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 9, 2009.

?

How would you grade Death House?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Pretty cool, but I find it hard to believe that no one would touch an empty penthouse for over 80 years and that no bugs or rodents made their way up there.

I was also wondering where all the dust was.

It was dumb of Shedon to touch that phone. I knew what was going to happen as soon as he picked up the receiver. And then Super Mac to the rescue.

They never explained how the girlfriend ended up in the water.

With Haylen possibly going into the FBI, does this mean we're not going to see her anymore?

I don't like the way they make Adam look like a jerk whenever she (Haylen) is mentioned.

Liked the Danny/Flack scene together. :)

It was cool to see Sid. It gave me a giggle, because there was a temporary secretary at my daughter's school that looks a lot like him. I wanted so bad to ask her if she was any relation to Robert Joy. :lol:

2. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I was just watching the funniest part of this episode again on ON DEMAND. I wish they had had the camera closer to Mac and Stella when Stella said "I'll shoot you if you say ladies first." I would've loved to have seen the look on Mac's face when he turned to look at Stella when she said that.

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I’m two or three episodes behind on reviews but decided to go ahead with this one while it’s fresh. (Warning: this is a somewhat lengthy review.)

Grade = B-

This was a tough episode to grade for me. Trying to look at it somewhat objectively, I think it was a slow paced and flawed outing. And it’s not the kind of episode I would recommend to new viewers at all because it’s quite different from the typical CSI: NY showing.

That said, I actually did like the episode, and it held my interest. I love mysteries so the premise of the booby-trapped house with hidden rooms was intriguing as was the idea that the CSI’s had to find clues and solve puzzles to unravel the entire story. As others have mentioned, though, there definitely were some logic flaws and plotholes in the scenario. And I think the writers lost some of the suspense and dramatic potential by allowing the CSIs to go back-n-forth between the penthouse and lab instead of “trapping” them in the apartment and putting them in peril until they could solve the clues and find a way out.

Another element I liked seeing was Mac and Stella working together again from start to finish on a case. The banter and natural chemistry was back – a reminder of the good old days (“That’s a good forensic word. Gooey….”). And it’s always nice to see them in the field actually working a case (even if it’s wasn’t a typical one) instead of doing the administrative, supervisory type of stuff that seems to be creeping more and more into their roles. I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of the “handholding” between Mac and Stella. (Really, Mac?) I always wonder if the writers actually put these little things into the script or if the actors are being “creative.” Either way, they do seem to like teasing the audience.

I also liked the scene between Sid, Mac, and Stella. It was nice to see Sid being a bit eccentric again and Mac teasing him instead of getting impatient. Flack had some good lines as always, but I expected a bit more and thought they missed a few opportunities for some classic Flack snark, especially in this type of environment. Hawkes and Danny were solid as usual, and I agree Danny's hair is still a bit distracting, but at least his facial hair seems to be under control now.

As for Lindsay, I didn’t particularly miss her, and as mentioned before, I don’t mind having certain characters missing occasionally if it means they can go deeper (and give more screen time) to others in a particular episode. I do think it would be good if they made a reference, even a one-time thing, to Lindsay being off to spend time with Lucy, take her to the pediatrician, etc. If nothing else, it would introduce some realism in regard to the challenges working parents face, which is something I thought they intended to do with this pairing.

Re: the Adam/Haylen subplot, I’m not quite sure what to think. Like others, my first thought was that the FBI storyline is a way to write Haylen out of the series. However, it seems strange that they would go to the trouble of creating a new character (the FBI agent) and bringing her in just to facilitate writing Haylen out. I also thought it was odd that they made such an explicit reference to Adam having a “crush” on Haylen. What’s the point of doing that if she’s going away – unless they are just playing to the idea that Adam is sometimes like a big kid. At this point, though, I’m wondering if there’s still more to the Haylen storyline or if perhaps they are planning to bring the FBI agent back for a new storyline at some point. (Could she be Hawkes’ new love interest?)

Re: the Adam/Stella scene, I didn’t see anything unusual or awkward in the way they were acting towards each other --- which is a good thing. And I saw Stella’s toast at the team dinner in the previous episode as another coda of sorts (“Life is fleeting, etc….) and reinforcement that what happened between them was a spontaneous , live in the moment type of thing. In any case, I am relying on Pam V.’s view that the Adam/Stella liaison was a one time thing. Personally, I think they dodged a bullet with that first episode and have spent time since trying to build up Stella’s role as the second in command, so I hope they are done with the Adam/Stella storyline and moving her on to other things. I do have an idea of where they could take Stella’s arc from here and will be curious to see what happens with her later in the season.

Promo for next week was interesting – apparently a combination of scenes from the new episode as well as some stuff from previous ones. I was surprised that some of the guest stars weren’t even featured in the promo at the end of this episode. Gotta love the elf hats though, and even if it’s a bit corny, I’m looking forward to seeing a CSI Christmas celebration.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

That's a good idea, that the FBI agent may be a possible romantic interest for Hawkes. He certainly needs some lovin'.

5. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

it was great some parts even made me laugh

6. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

I think you are reading to much into the FBI lady. It seems like they are just coming up with a way to write Haylen out of the show. I feel bad for the actress. It's not her fault. The writers did such a bad job introducing her to the show the fan's turned on her right away, and this is their way of letting her go. The FBI lady was just a necessary guest star to get rid of Haylen. Danny made the remark about Adam having a crush on her as a joke. point 1. he dosn't know about him and Stella, and point 2. Adam really can't stand Haylen. AS far as the toast at the end of Mattenhenge when stella was speaking she said " life is fleeting we should hold on lto the one's we love" she looked at adam raised her eyes and held her glass up to him, that's when he loooked at held his glass back to her. I don't think this story is done yet. The way the writing has been this season who knows what direction thay are going, The seam to change every week.:guffaw:

7. mulder8scullly5

mulder8scullly5 Prime Suspect

This episode is well-written! :) I love it! It's really interesting and I was just into it...Like I'm one of them Haha. I really enjoyed watching this episode! Puzzling!

8. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I'm a couple of weeks late on this one, but whatevs :)

I liked the whole funhouse aspect of this episode, original for CSI. That being said, it wasn't that action or crime-driven....and it was weird watching a crime with no real criminal (at least not one that could be charged). Mac/Stella were fun to watch at the beginning, got kind of old as the episode dragged on. No criminal meant no real plot, IMO, so things got a little boring halfway through.

The Adam/Haylen/FBI subplot, though, I did find interesting. They're writing Haylen out? On the one hand, I'm not exactly going to miss her: she could've been fun, but wasn't yet. On the other hand, it kind of seems like a cop-out -- they didn't spend much time on her before throwing her into the show, and then decide to scrap her because she's not working out...what was the point of even adding her, then? :rolleyes:

Then again, they might just be kickstarting Haylen's sekrit backstory with this plot. Although the FBI being all eager for Haylen to join them kind of scraps my hopes that maybe her secret was that she was on the run from the FBI or another federal protection agency. Doesn't make her seem like any less of a Mary Sue, either. Oh well. And I too am not fond of the way they kind of dumb Adam down whenever Haylen is mentioned or brought up. How would "everyone" know about his job insecurity? Haylen worked for maybe two days, and Adam seemed to be over it in It Happened to Me, after he talked to Stella.

Grade: B-. Because I'm generous -- and I did like the Indiana-Jones-esque booby-traps.

9. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I gave it an A+. I thought it was a very interesting episode, no hight tec investigation. It was just good detective work. I loved the part where the blade came out of nowhere and nearly hit Stella.....I was like oh my god!!!.

10. *Stardust*

*Stardust* Prime Suspect

A+ for sure! One of my very favourite episodes since the beginnnig of this show! Great old-fashioned, awesome plot and marvelous acting!

11. lowey

lowey Hit and Run

I liked this one :lol: But, yet again, SuperMac to the rescue, figuring out the riddles!:lol: I still love him though.
    However. How did the girlfriend get into the wee room behind the bed that was full of water? Eh? That was niggling at the back of my mind for a good while.
    Meh.
    Anyhow, I love Booby traps and abandoned houses and stuff, so I was happy. :)

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

In case anyone is watching tonight. ;)

13. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I am glad they reran Death house. It was one of the NYs I watched. I liked cases that are kind weird. This one had a batman-ish vibe, like the riddler. Compared to the s7 shows of late, this one was lighter and I liked the break from the moral deliema ones

14. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Hands down the best episode of season 6!!!Simply amazing!!

15. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

It was wonderful to watch again! Can I give it an A+ again?:lol: Having that ending where Mac, Stella, Flack, and Danny walking out of the building in slow motion reminded me how much I miss the orginal cast:( And NO Lindsey did I mention A+!:lol: I love the riddle aspect kept me throughly entertained!