CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Bright Lights, Big City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

It hasn't been posted before! Ahhhh, the infamous stunt casting fest. I'm a little scared. :eek: Not a single one of these people has any acting cred.

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

They're bringing in pop groups again in 6.11 :shifty: It's Train this time, so I won't complain (but the Maroon 5 one in "Page Turner" still makes me shudder...can't stand them).

LOL, very true about Danny. I've always felt that Stella, too, lacks that self-awareness, though, despite her many storylines. Not nearly to the same extent as Danny, but there are times when she goes off and either doesn't seem to understand herself why she's going off, or isn't able to explain her reasons to anyone else. If they're still doing that "reckless" storyline they've got planned for her this season -- what happened to that, btw? -- I think that might play a part in it; I doubt she'll know why she's reacting so badly to the bar shooting, but it'll be interesting seeing her figure it out. Assuming they let her, of course.

I have to admit that part of my Danny issue is just how unrealistic it is that anyone would stay in a marriage where there's no trust. On either side, imo (get lied to by omission enough times, and I can't see how any trust she has left wouldn't plummet). So yeah, I can believe it'll come to the forefront, but neither of them doing anything about it? Nonsensical, even by TVland standards.:shifty: Not that I'd put it past the show; but still.

True; if he's been this way for most of his life, it's probably not (realistically) fixable without a lot of work. But yeah, something like that is exactly what I'd love to see -- at least having the root of his issues revealed to Danny, so he knows what's going on with him. If they take it further by showing him working to trust people, that might mean he'd know enough to let other people also know what's going on -- I mean, I think a few of them can guess, but I'm not sure any of them really know his issues.

*finds geek hat, wears*:lol: Yup, but those were from this season -- the one where Hawkes was using the virtual autopsy was "Blacklist". I only just remember because Sid's my favourite coroner :alienblush:

Well, I guess when I say character development here, I'm speaking of character growth. I mean, I do understand the character development you're speaking of, like the fleshing/rounding-out of a character -- in that sense I totally agree that Aiden and the other main characters have been very well-developed; Aiden was extremely well-rounded as a character, realistic, flawed, and far more than one-note, as are the others. In this respect, even Lindsay's fleshed out; like her or not, she's far from one-note now. I've mentioned before, though, that I attribute that more to Anna Belknap than to the writing, because her lines were extremely one-note in early S2. [Angell I disagree on -- sure she was tough and confident and sassy and whatnot; did we ever see her be anything else? Or take initiative to contribute an original thought process (or anything else) to an investigation? I think the one time that came even close was when she asked Danny about Ruben in "Happily Never After" -- ie, the one time I almost liked her -- and even that seemed fairly generic, rather than something that seemed like it could be originally, typically Angell. I just don't feel they did much to flesh her out. Digressing, though].

Character growth, where characters deal with something and either change or learn from it; we've seen most of the other characters go through it (maybe not Sid, although the Marty Pino storyline, I felt, was excellent in terms of that; and I was so hoping they'd continue with it this season). Growth development, though, was something Aiden got very little of -- very little affected her life to make her act differently in the future. Until the storyline that had her leaving the show, the only thing I can think of is the story where she got chased away from the pizza parlour ("Officer Blue"?). Till now they've done great with Lindsay's growth, it's one of the best things about her imo -- but they've limited a lot of it to Danny, and particularly this season all of it seems relegated to (and basically, stopped with) him. Again, I see it as limiting, and if they do stop her development there just because she's the 'perfect wife' I don't see how that wouldn't be an example of bad writing. Especially since she will be one-note at that point.

I don't know, I thought she had plenty of that charm in S4 (until the Danny-drama, anyway) and even S5; they keep speaking of it on the commentaries of the dvds (except S5's, I think). But I guess a huge part of picturing another person in the role is that I don't see where else they really would've gone with Lindsay's character had there not been that aloof depth to her, if she'd just stayed peppy and Danny-flirting throughout. Honestly, I'm not sure she'd've lasted any longer than Riley or Tara did. She wasn't that well-rounded when she was first added.

Oh, I liked Kendall :lol: I enjoyed the way they played off of each other; but no, the last thing needed is another codependent character. I meant more that I thought they were going somewhere with Adam's insecurity about Haylen, and grating over her overconfidence (with the team letting him know that he was irreplaceable and all). It's how I saw things, anyway, but I'm not really looking forward to another storyline dropping into the abyss.

I guess I'd really like to see her get back to the point she was at in early S4; she had some good stuff there. She hasn't really connected with anyone else on the team, but she was getting there. She had a great rapport with Hawkes in S3 and the first half of S4, and she was making the effort with Stella; we saw her do so on several occasions (I know you don't see them as close, and I don't think they're exactly BFFs either; but other than Mac, she was the only one who knew about Drew until they all found out he was the psycho-stalker.). And they were getting back to that again in S5. I've always seen the reason she's not that connected with anyone as her having trouble reaching out to people -- if she can do it with Danny now, why not with anyone else? I'm really not seeing how those kinds of scenes would come off differently if it were someone other than Danny sharing them with her, and I'd rather see someone other than Danny sharing them. The scenes where she's with Danny are her most boring, imo. It seems less a case of writing around an issue, and more one of them sticking with what they're interested in writing about when it comes to Lindsay. Which, yeah, I still see as laziness.

I miss Eric (not Tara so much), but I do agree that Miami -- and the other shows -- have benefited from the adds. It's weird trying to reconcile all the new adds with the limited (or nonexistent) screentime they're all getting now. It feels like there's a budget reason behind that, but I can't see how.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Oh boy, is it bad I gave up on reading every single post fully? :lol: Still as I see the discussion is up I wanted to use a quick chance and post as well before I have to hurry to work. I can say that showing Lindsay here and there definitely is not enough for me. As I said before, I liked her a long time before I started shipping her with Danny (she was basically the first character I liked of the show when I started watching it). I would be so happy if we got at least a few of the storylines we have been discussing in the Anna thread. Like cases she could lead or anything else that could show us more of her. Which is why I liked last week's episode as we got to see more of her in my opinion. I would be happy if we got to see an episode like Stealing Home again. She has the tendency to get obsessed with cases and getting answers and she still is showing that occasionally. It's something they could work with. As someone who ships DL because I love Danny and Lindsay equally, I'm wishing for storylines as a couple but also for them as individuals. I think she really deserves moren screentime, definitely. Okay, really should hurry now. :lol: About the press release, I don't really know what to think about the stunt casts. Oh well.

4. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

just in from fancast. nothing new really. lol.

5. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

What is the big mystery about episode ten anyway? And I thought the reality twins who ever they are were in the next episode? But I see they are in second chances?

6. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

THE CSIs FOLLOW UP ON A 911 CALL TO A VACANT PENTHOUSE BUT FIND A NEARLY 100-YEAR-OLD CORPSE AND A BOOBY-TRAPPED HOUSE, ON “CSI: NY,” WEDNESDAY, DEC. 9 “Death House” – A frantic 911 call sends the CSIs into a vacant penthouse; however, instead of finding the caller, they unearth a nearly 100-year-old corpse and find themselves navigating their way through a booby-trapped house, on CSI: NY, Wednesday, Dec. 9 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
    SERIES REGULARS:

• Det. Mac Taylor…………………… …. Gary Sinise
    • Det. Stella Bonasera……… Melina Kanakaredes
    • Danny Messer………………. Carmine Giovinazzo
    • Dr. Sheldon Hawkes………………….. Hill Harper
    • Det. Don Flack……………………….. Eddie Cahill
    • Lindsay Monroe……………………. Anna Belknap
    • Adam Ross……………………………… AJ Buckley
    • Dr. Sid Hammerback…………………. Robert Joy
    GUEST CAST:

• Deborah Meade………………………. Ella Thomas
    WRITTEN BY: JP Donahue and Kevin Polay
    DIRECTED BY: Norberto Barba

7. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I thought episode ten was the episode with all the celebrities in it, like Kim whats her face, and that girl who dating Nick Lahey?? how come they dont show up on the press release, do I have the wrong episode??

8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Second Chances is episode 11 which has the assorted MTV celebrities (Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Minnillo, Lala Vasquez) and Pat Monahan of Train.

9. Top41

Episode 11 is the one with all the celebs. Episode 10 is the one we don't know anything about. Interesting that there's only one guest star--that makes me think it will be a fun, team-intensive episode. I wonder if it will be anything like "Trapped" when Danny got stuck in the panic room. To this day, that's one of my favorite episodes of the show!

I love Train! :eek: And their new single is so catchy. :D

See, I thought they've always shown Stella knowing she's being reckless, but not caring. Or maybe not caring isn't the right way of putting it--she thinks about her actions, but if she gets pushed far enough, she's going to spring into action.

The marriage really isn't very realistic at all. But I think Lindsay's whipped and Danny's just scared of being abandoned.

I think he kind of willingly did trust Mac in RSRD--which was an advancement for him. He sort of confides in Flack, too, now and then, at least about his fears. But I think his default is to not trust--and he definitely doesn't trust Lindsay.

I could have sworn the first time that virtual autopsy was introduced, it was Hawkes using it alone, but I will concede to your geek hat! :D Especially since I don't even remember the first episode we saw that in. :eek:

I do the opposite--Anna was given heaps to work with. A dark secret, an office flirtation, a need to prove herself, a love of her work--and yet she couldn't maintain any kind of consistency from week to week. I feel like the writers made a character out of Lindsay in spite of Anna's weaknesses, albeit not a great one.

What about her concern for Flack with regards to his sister, her discretion in not pushing him to talk because she knew that wasn't a Flack thing to do, her brief moment of concern when people found out they were dating--that it would be more detrimental to her than him. A flash of insecurity that felt very real to me. Her willingness to bend the rules to help Stella? IMO, there was a lot to like there. Of course she wasn't as developed as the regs, but I think there was more to her than just toughness.

I think the aloofness was something they had to write around because Anna lacks warmth. If it was really a quality Lindsay has, why hasn't it been consistent? She wasn't really aloof until season three's storyline called for her to be.

I didn't dislike Kendall, but I don't need to see the same dynamic replayed with Haylen.

I think they've kind of stuck her in a corner so to speak, which I might be more irritated by were she a better character, and Anna a better actress. As it is, I kind of see it as damage control. That being said, I still think Anna does pretty decently with those seething anger scenes, or she did in "Stealing Home" and with hints of it in "Manhattanhenge." Something cool like seeing Lindsay have to fight to protect her husband and daughter could give her something to work with. If she did something that crossed the line, that could give her something to relate to Flack on--and maybe even drive a wedge between her and Danny. I'm not sure they'd go that route, though it would be an interesting one.

It could be the reason why we're not seeing Lindsay, Sid and Adam in every episode.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, me too, i have to fast forward the whole intro to that ep, i just can't stand them!

i hope so, it's kind of intriguing! hopefully it'll be intriguing in a good way :D

i'm pretty sure it was first used in an ep where radiation was an issue, it was quite a while ago but i can't remember off the top of my head. maybe it was the maroon 5 one. actually i think it might've been because they had that weird bit where he and mac were standing by it and they zoomed in on the stomach and ended up surrounded by this dead body's stomach - niiiiice.

i actually quite liked kendall, and i don't dislike haylen either, i guess it's just a question of waiting and seeing with her, as they've not had much of her yet. i always found it kind of sad that kendall was there and then just disappeared really quickly, because i liked her and adam's little rivalry-stroke-flirting thing.

i agree. i was watching s4 again recently and was really surprised in one ep in particular by how good she was! it seemed really out of character almost, which is a shame because i think that's how her character was supposed to be, especially compared to how she was in s2. it was commuted sentences - the stuff with danny on the museum steps was great, the home made slingshot resourcefulness, the fact that she teased him about having to recreate the shot etc, i thought it was good. it's weird, when she's good, she's really watchable, but it just doesn't seem to happen enough :( back in s2 she was one of my favourite characters - she was kind of cool and a bit cheeky and not afraid to speak her mind and now she's really forgettable.

11. Top41

That explains why I remember Hawkes using it--Sid was in the hospital with radiation poisoning! That was "Page Turner."

12. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Episode 10 airs when? (I thought it was this week, until I read about the Grammy Nomination thing:wtf:) I'm looking forward to that one way more than I am 6.11, too, because a) the title and summary makes it sound like a belated Halloween episode, and b) Ella's back. I was wondering when they were going to dust off that plotline.

Although I can't see how they're going to catch or convict a hundred-year-old perpetrator, but...heh, I want to be impressed.

And that's exactly why I'm not complaining :lol: Train trumps any of the musicians they've brought onto this show so far. <3 (Although the Kid Rock concert was not-bad.)

I get that Stella generally knows she's going to get into trouble for her actions, but she doesn't seem to assume she's being unreasonable or reckless (or maybe I just got this from the S5 Diakos storyline...but I got a similar feeling from "Officer Blue" and "Supply and Demand" in Season 1). That might have less to do with a lack of self-awareness and just a conviction in her beliefs, but maybe it's the way she tends to explain her actions sometimes. It's tricky because there are times when she does
    know exactly what's setting her off.

Which...is really pretty pathetic all around, though.:wtf: This is precisely how DL rapidly becomes the least interesting part of Lindsay (iow, why I'd rather not see her every scene remind me of it); they're taking a huge gamble expecting viewers to ignore everything from the past two seasons that's told us she (or heck, Danny himself) wouldn't have walked by mid-S6 if that became the status quo for their relationship. Probably why they'd benefit from not showcasing Lindsay and Danny together that often, hint hint. If they have to keep them in the Happy Marriage, I mean.

Exactly; I've thought the same for a while now. Mac and Flack do have better luck getting through to him, and getting him to talk to them, but they are definitely exceptions to the rule. I wonder if they have any idea what's behind that default not to trust. Flack sometimes seems to have an idea (if it is something to do with Danny's family or Tanglewood, then I'd say Flack definitely has an idea -- he seemed to in RSRD). I doubt Mac does, though.

LOL, I just realized how bad it is that I think I know that too :alienblush::alienblush: (the first virtual autopsy... either "Hostage" or "Veritas", but used by Sid. I am officially stepping away from the NY dvds and re-runs now, for two weeks at least :lol:)

But a dark secret they never seemed to incorporate into the character's behaviour until Anna did so herself. Haylen has a dark secret too. We're not seeing any indication of that in her lines or her behaviour. I think Carter does a great job playing Haylen, but except for her overconfidence (maybe a side effect of something that happened to her in the past that might've left her with an urge to prove herself) I'm not seeing anything that could be bothering this girl. Which might be a problem, if the secret is something that's meant to have lasting traumatic impact on her.

I'm not sure either the need to prove herself or a love of her job made Lindsay unique from the other thirty or so characters in the franchise. Except for Mac, Horatio, and Grissom, is there a single character in the franchise who hasn't felt the need to prove themselves? And not excluding even those three, a character who doesn't love their work? The only one who didn't really fall into either category was Speedle, and it was pretty much that very thing that made him stand out from the others. In Lindsay it was one-note; a quality that any good CSI is supposed to have. Especially since this is exactly what Haylen's all about now. It's not something that fleshes/fleshed out either of them.

I do agree, though, about the office flirtation. It's basically the only thing the writers originally wrote into Lindsay's character that made her stand out.

Well, it's not that we never saw Angell be decent or likeable. It was just always very generic when she was, it never felt like something unique to Angell: like something she did because she was her. Hoping this makes sense -- it was like she was the "what they need me to be, when they need me to be it" character. I found her more tolerable in those moments, but I liked the action itself more than I liked her for doing it. It was decent of Angell to drive Flack to Sam's AA meeting, but since it became obvious in the next 0.5 seconds that she had a thing for him, I saw it as one-note LI stuff. Even Lindsay did something similar back in RSRD. I actually think it might have given her a bit more depth and originality in that scene had she not known not to push Flack into talking. Because I think her most interesting (maybe not likable, but definitely interesting) moment in three years was that concern for her reputation in "Rush to Judgment", not so much for the insecurity -- though that was good too -- but for complaining to Flack about it at not-the-right-time.

If that willingness to bend the rules had been something more organic to Angell, rather than something she did because Stella needed her to do it, I would've found it far more interesting. And frustratingly, that was literally the most depth she got during that storyline (I was hoping for something original when she went undercover, but she essentially went undercover...as herself. There was no difference between Angell and the female she was playing, except for maybe the name [or lack thereof] she gave Kolovos). Yeah, the writers aren't great with fleshing out non-regular female characters (Peyton wasn't exactly a fount of originality herself, and except for the ego neither is Haylen), but it felt like they'd put very little work into Angell, whereas Adam, Sid, and heck even Detective Sinclair (although less so) had moments of originality to them when they were regulars.

Wasn't she written as aloof in "All Access" and "Stealing Home"? (Both of which being the first times she was ever give non-generic, non-Danny-related emotions to work with?) I saw the aloofness from the beginning, in the way she held herself back from the others even as she was being all perky and demonstration-giving. I've heard tons of people here mention that very same thing, whether with positive or negative connotations. I thought it was the whole reason she's seen as brittle. They didn't actually start writing it in until late season 2. And I have to wonder why every real storyline or mini-story they've ever written specifically for Lindsay (especially in the early seasons, and heck even at the beginning of S5 and S6) calls for her to act aloof at least once -- if it's not an element they've been running with like they've got nothing else, ever since Anna Belknap added it to her character. Clearly I don't know Anna, but she's never struck me as lacking warmth in either her interviews or the behind-the-scenes segments I've seen. She seems a great deal warmer than I've ever seen Lindsay be.

I would be willing to pay for them to go that route! (The one with her crossing the line, even driving the wedge between her and Danny -- although I'd rather they keep it out of DL altogether.) I do agree that they've written Lindsay into a corner, but see -- while I do figure this might make me sound a little harsh on these writers -- I still see that as having more to do with laziness or a very single minded perspective on what they want from Lindsay, than with them having "no choice". Just 'cause I don't buy into the notion of characters having been exhausted and/or having no more room to grow or place to develop to. If they've been written correctly, characters are like real, identifiable people (who are still developing right up until they die). So long as the story's going, there's room for development. So sticking Lindsay into a corner would be more (bad) writer's choice, than necessity.

ETA *hope I'm not stretching the word-count here*
    Oh yeah! That was the first time Hawkes used the virtual autopsy...I think (they used the virtual one in that episode, right? 'Cause the body itself was too dangerous?)

Same - I agree it's not something they need to replicate in Adam vs. Haylen unless they find a way to make it specific to them, but the way he and Kendall played off of each other was cute. I wouldn't be completely disappointed if they had Adam and Haylen in more of a mentor-student relationship (kind of like how A.J and Sarah were in that ET interview before the season started). I don't know if they've blown that possibility with the whole rivalry, and Haylen thinking she's awesome, but it'd be cute and more original :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

There has to be something more interesting to ask about. *sigh*

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

ok, i seem to have missed something there - can you backtrack?!:lol:

yeah, you're right! i forgot about that one but it's because they're not allowed to take the body out of jersey's jurisdiction isn't it?

unless it's not a bad dark secret, if that makes sense - ie i mean one that's beneficial to her, like maybe mac has a reed all of his own or something! ok, so i realise just how unlikely that is:lol::lol:, but i just mean it might not be a secret that's traumatic for her, it may be dark in terms of plot/character interactions, but still beneficial to her...
    exactly, i don't mind haylen at all (i was about to call her hendall which is a worrying sign of impending genericism!), but it'd be a shame if they just rehashed the same old story. come on writers, do something different!

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

To paraphrase . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZ . . . :rolleyes: :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.