The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

'Remote Control' host Ken Ober dies

Ken Ober, a comedian best known for hosting MTV's late-'80s game show "Remote Control," has died.

Ober's reps confirm that he died over the weekend at the age of 52. The cause of death was not immediately known.

Lee Kernis, a manager at Brillstein Entertainment Partners who represented Ober for more than 20 years, told the New York Times that Ober was found dead on Sunday. He said Ober had last been heard from on Saturday night, when he spoke to a friend and complained of a headache and flu-like symptoms.

Ober's career began in the mid-1980s with a turn on talent competition "Star Search."

Starting in 1987, he hosted five seasons of "Remote Control," which was part of the first group of TV series created by MTV. The quiz show tested contestants' pop-culture knowledge on a set that looked like an overgrown frat boy's basement. Ober would ask questions about celebrities, movies, TV shows and music videos of the contestants, who sat on recliners with food and drinks on trays in front of them.

Ober went on to host other game shows, including "Smush" and "Make Me Laugh."

He later worked as a supervising producer on Comedy Central's "Tough Crowd With Colin Quinn," a consulting producer on CBS' "The New Adventures of Old Christine" and a writer and producer on Comedy Central's "Mind of Mencia." He also co-hosted a talk show on Los Angeles radio station KLSX 97.1, "Ober and Olsen," with Susan Olsen, best known as Cindy Brady on the original "The Brady Bunch."

2. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Ex-Golden Gloves titlist Rodriguez dies after fight

Former national Golden Gloves champion Francisco Rodriguez died Sunday night, two days after losing a bout in Philadelphia. Rodriguez, 25, collapsed after being stopped in the 10th round by Teon Kennedy and was rushed to a hospital for emergency brain surgery Friday.

"It's with a very heavy heart that we make this announcement," promoter Dominic Pesoli of 8 Count Productions said. "Francisco was family to us and we all loved him very much."

Rodriguez, who was born in Mexico, was 14-2 going into Friday's bout against Kennedy for the vacant USBA super bantamweight title. Rodriguez was a national Golden Gloves champion in 2001.

Philadelphia promoter J. Russell Peltz says Rodriguez began to lose consciousness as the boxer sat in his corner after the fight was stopped.

"It would be easy for me to question why he was allowed to come out for the 10th round," Peltz told the Philadelphia Daily News. "His arms were limp by his sides. He had nothing left; he was spent. But then his arms were hanging by his sides after every round."

The ringside doctor said he checked on Rodriguez multiple times and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

"I've replayed it over and over in my mind — the fight itself, the time between rounds," Levyn told the Daily News. "He was coherent. He answered all my questions — simple questions like, 'Where are you? What's your name?' And his eyes were reactive. It seemed like he was OK."

Known affectionately as "EL Nino Azteca", Rodriguez had been a fan favorite in the Chicago area since turning pro in January 2005. Pesoli said a fund is being set up for Rodriguez's wife and infant daughter. Details on funeral arrangements will be announced shortly.

3. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

Al Alberts, founding member of The Four Aces, dies

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Al Alberts, a founding member of the singing group, The Four Aces, and a longtime TV talent show host in Philadelphia, has died. He was 87.

Chris Alberts says his father died Friday at home in Arcadia, Fla. He says the apparent cause of death was complications from kidney failure.

Alberts featured child singers and dancers on his "Al Alberts Showcase" for more than three decades in Philadelphia.

He was a founding member of The Four Aces, which recorded such hits as "Three Coins in the Fountain," and "Love is a Many Splendored Thing."

Chris Alberts says everyone in Philadelphia seems to know someone who appeared on his father's show.

Al Alberts, born Al Albertini, is also survived by wife Stella and son Al Jr.

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Some sad news for fans of Coronation Street. Actress Maggie Jones has died at the age of 75 :( She played Blanche Hunt on the show. Maggie Jones died in her sleep.

Maggie Jones dies at age 75

5. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Robert Degen, Who Had a Hand in the Hokey Pokey, Dies at 104
    By Roger DuPuis II (STAFF WRITER, the Times-Tribune)
    Published: November 27, 2009

A Scranton native credited with having his right hand in - penning the famed "Hokey Pokey" - died this week at the age of 104.

Robert Degen died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital in Lexington, Ky., where he had lived for many years. According to his obituary, he wrote the song in 1944 with the late Joe Briar.

"He was very proud that he wrote that song," Mr. Degen's son, jazz pianist Bob Degen, told The Times-Tribune on Thursday night in a phone interview from his home in Frankfurt, Germany.

The origins of the popular tune - and its namesake dance - are surrounded by a bit of mystery and controversy.

Some sources suggest the dance was born in Great Britain. Often dubbed "The Hokey Cokey" there, its dance motions have been criticized in recent years as deriving from a Protestant "hocus pocus" parody of the Roman Catholic Mass in the 17th or 18th century.

Critics of that theory point out that the popularity of the combined song and dance is clearly a 20th century phenomenon, and they seem to have been a hit with Allied soldiers in England during World War II - though historians still debate whether the fad started over here or over there. Either way, it took off in the postwar years and the tune was recorded by several artists.

At least two other musicians claimed authorship of the music. One was Anglo-Irishman Jimmy Kennedy; the other was Detroit-born Larry LaPrise, both now deceased.

But Mr. Degen held a 1944 copyright for "The Hokey-Pokey Dance," issued five years before Mr. LaPrise recorded the song. Reports indicate Mr. Degen filed suit against Mr. LaPrise in the 1950s and settled out of court.

Whatever its origins, "The Hokey Pokey" took on a life of its own, and not just in English-speaking countries.

"A lot of people here in Europe know it and were influenced by it," said the younger Mr. Degen, who went on to become a noted name on the Frankfurt jazz scene.

A 1957 Scranton Times feature story and photo showed 13-year-old "Bobby Degen of South Scranton" posed at the keyboard, noting that "veteran musicians consider him a pianist of unusual promise," and that he already was a dues-paying member of the American Federation of Musicians. Having played the piano since age 4, the Prospect Avenue youth also composed his own arrangement of his father's famous song, the story added.

Speaking from Germany Thursday, the younger Mr. Degen said his father had been a musician since the 1920s and continued until he was in his 60s. "As far as I know he played up until about 1969," Bob Degen said.

Mr. Degen met his wife of 74 years, Vivian Elaine Gibson Degen, when the two were touring with a Country and Western band, their son said. Mrs. Degen, an Arkansas native, still lives in Kentucky, as does their younger son, Bill.

Bob Degen - who has lived in Germany since 1965 but has made frequent return visits to the U.S. - said he started playing gigs with his father as early as age 10, recalling jobs in Scranton and Carbondale, and later, to visit the jazz clubs of New York.
    "He was wonderful to me," Bob Degen said. "He was just a great dad.

That's what it's all about.

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Tyler Perry's Mother, Inspiration for Madea, Dies
    Dec 9, 2009 03:15 PM ET
    by Joyce Eng, TV Guide

Tyler Perry's mother, who was the inspiration for his popular character Madea, has died. She was 64.

"Willie Maxine Perry. February 12, 1945 to December 8, 2009. Thank you for all your prayers," read a post on Perry's website.

He did not disclose the cause of his mother's death. A rep for Perry was not immediately available for comment.

Maxine Perry was a preschool teacher in New Orleans and, along with Perry's aunt, served as the basis for the aggressive, gun-toting Madea character in his films.

"My mother is the wisdom of Madea, but my aunt Mayola, that's her wig, that's her voice, that's her gun in the purse," Perry, 40, told the Atlanta Jornal-Constitution in 2006. "Madea is the PG-rated version of Mayola."

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Dec 11, 9:54 AM (ET)
    By BOB THOMAS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Always dapper, Gene Barry overcame his reluctance to take the starring role in the TV series "Bat Masterson" when he found out the Western lawman had worn a derby and carried a gold-handled cane in real life.

"I went over to the wardrobe department, picked out a brocaded vest, looked in the mirror, and there was this elegant gentleman," Barry recalled in 1999. "I said, 'Hey, that's Bat! That's me!'"

Barry, who also played other well-dressed men of action in the television series "Burke's Law" and "The Name of the Game," died of undetermined causes Wednesday, his son Frederic James Barry said. He died at age 90 at a rest home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Woodland Hills, the son said Thursday. Barry essentially played the same character in all three series, which spanned the 1950s to the 1970s. Always fashionably dressed, the tall, handsome actor with the commanding voice dominated his scenes as he bested the bad guys in each show.

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

*Jennifer Jones the beautiful, raven-haired actress who was nominated for an Academy Award 5 times, winning in 1943 for her portrayal of a saintly nun in "The Song Of Bernadette", died Thursday. She was 90. Ms. Jones, who in later years was a leader of the Norton Simon Museum, died at her home in Malibu of natural causes, museum spokesman Leslie Denk said. Ms. Jones was the widow of the museum's fonder wealthy industrilalist Norton Simon. She was also married to producer David O Selznick. Known for her intense performances, Ms Jones was one of Hollywood's biggest stars of the 40's and 50's. She recieved a supporting actress Oscar nomination for "Since You Went Away", and lead actress nomination for "Love Letters", "Duel In The Sun" and "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" After retiring from acting after "The Towering Inferno", Ms. Jones avoided the limelight as much as possible. she is survived by her son Robert, eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.~

NEWS SERVICES

9. smacked4ever

smacked4ever Prime Suspect

one person that just passed away is chris henry. he was a pro footballl player that played for the cincinnati bengals and was a wide reciever. he died this pas thursday morning after falling off the back of his girfriend's truck late wednesday night. he was only 26 years old too.

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Another shocking death for 2009. :(

Brittany Murphy Dies

Brittany Murphy died early this morning after she went into full cardiac arrest and could not be revived, multiple sources tell TMZ.

She was 32.

A 911 call was made at 8:00 AM from a home in Los Angeles that is listed as belonging to her husband, Simon Monjack, the Los Angeles City Fire Department tells TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

Murphy starred in such films as "Clueless," "8 Mile," and "Don't Say a Word."

Story developing ...

11. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

r.i.p Brittany:(

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I am just shocked about Brittany. That's just incredibly sad. She was so young. :(

13. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Here is a little more on the Brittany Murphy Story. Hospital: Actress Brittany Murphy dies at age 32

LOS ANGELES – Brittany Murphy, the actress who got her start in the sleeper hit "Clueless" and rose to stardom in "8 Mile," died Sunday in Los Angeles. She was 32.
    Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Spokeswoman Sally Stewart said Murphy died at 10:04 a.m. (1804 GMT) She would not provide a cause of death or any other information.

The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a call at 8 a.m. (1600 GMT) Sunday at the home Murphy shared with her husband, British screenwriter Simon Monjack, in West Hollywood hills. Murphy was transported to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
    Los Angeles police have opened an investigation into Murphy's death, Officer Norma Eisenman said. Detectives and coroner's officials were at Murphy and Monjack's home Sunday afternoon but did not talk to reporters. Paparazzi were camped outside.

Messages left for Murphy's manager, agent and publicist by The Associated Press weren't immediately returned.
    Neighbor Clare Staples said she saw firefighters working to resuscitate the actress Sunday morning. She said Murphy was on a stretcher and "looked as though she was dead at the scene."

Murphy's husband, wearing pajama bottoms and no shoes, appeared "dazed" as firefighters tried to save her, Staples said.
    "It's just tragic," she said.

TMZ.com first reported Murphy's death Sunday morning.
    Murphy's father, Angelo Bertolotti, said he learned of her death from his son, the actress's brother, and was stunned.
    "She was just an absolute doll since she was born," Bertolotti said from his Florida home. "Her personality was always outward. Everybody loved her — people that made movies with her, people on a cruise — they all loved her. She was just a regular gal."

He said he hadn't heard much about the circumstances of Murphy's death. Bertolotti divorced her mother when Murphy was young and hadn't seen Murphy in the past few years.
    "She was just talented," he said. "And I loved her very much."

Bertolotti was in the mob and served prison time on federal drug charges.

Born Nov. 10, 1977, in Atlanta, Murphy grew up in New Jersey and later moved with her mother to Los Angeles to pursue acting.
    Her career started in the early 1990s with small roles in television series, commercials and movies. She is best known for parts in "Girl, Interrupted," "Clueless" and "8 Mile."

Her role as rapper Eminem's girlfriend in the film "8 Mile" led to more recognition, Murphy told The Associated Press in 2003. "That changed a lot," she said. "That was the difference between people knowing my first and last name as opposed to not."
    Her on-screen roles declined in recent years, but Murphy's voice gave life to numerous animated characters, including Luanne Platter on more than 200 episodes of Fox's "King of the Hill" and Gloria the penguin in the 2006 feature "Happy Feet."

She is due to appear in Sylvester Stallone's upcoming film, "The Expendables," set for release next year.
    Her role in "8 Mile" led to more recognition, Murphy said told AP in 2003. "That changed a lot," she said. "That was the difference between people knowing my first and last name as opposed to not."

Murphy credited her mother, Sharon, with being a key to her success.
    "When I asked my mom to move to California, she sold everything and moved out here for me," Murphy said. "I was really grateful to have grown up in an environment that was conducive to creating and didn't stifle any of that. She always believed in me."

She dated Ashton Kutcher, who costarred with Murphy in 2003's romantic comedy "Just Married." Kutcher sent a message on Twitter Sunday morning about Murphy's death: "2day the world lost a little piece of sunshine," Kutcher wrote. "My deepest condolences go out 2 Brittany's family, her husband, & her amazing mother Sharon."

-------------------
    TMZ is reporting this, they are usually very close to getting the story, but here is what they currently (as of 6:30 pm et) I am reserving my judgement as to why until further info comes out.

Brittany Murphy's husband, Simon Monjack, told hospital staff at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center he did not want an autopsy performed on his deceased wife, multiple sources tell TMZ.
    We're told, however, despite Monjack's wishes, the L.A. County Coroner's office will perform an autopsy on Murphy. As we first reported, Murphy went into cardiac arrest this morning and could not be revived.
    TMZ has also learned Britney Murphy's mother, who found Murphy unconscious in the shower and called 911, told paramedics her daughter had a history of diabetes. We have not been able to confirm if Murphy did indeed have diabetes, and if so, whether it contributed to her death.

14. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

I am just shocked by Britney's death. I loved her in the movie Uptown Girls. She was so young, only 32. R.I.P. Britney.

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

TMZ is reporting the following on Brittany.

RE: The no autopsy story (above).
    UPDATE 8:00 PM ET -- Ed Winter from the L.A. County Coroner's Office tells TMZ foul play is not suspected at this time. Some prescriptions were found in the house, but he wouldn't say what kind, and they will be examined as well. Toxicology tests will be performed, which could take up to six weeks.

RE: Statement from Rep
    UPDATE 10:00 PM ET -- Through Brittany's rep, the family released a statement: "The sudden loss of our beloved Brittany is a terrible tragedy. She was our daughter, our wife, our love and a shining star. We ask you to respect our privacy at this time."