just curious

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Wolverine_Eagle, Nov 16, 2009.

1. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

Interesting question. I don't think Flack's older than Danny but they may be the same age (perhaps Flack's some months older, despite the actors' real ages). As for Hawkes, how long has he been with the police department? I ask because he was the Medical Examiner for some years before becoming a CSI, and unless he was a "Doogie Howser", I think 35 is too young for him for all he's achieved (I don't think you can become a medical examiner in NYC straight out of medical school--say he graduated from college at age 21/22; then had 4 years of medical school (25/26) PLUS another 3-4 years for his residency (28/29-29/30), and then must have some work experience before getting the job as Medical Examiner...and is he a cop, too? Then he's been a CSI for about 4 years now, so I'm thinking Hawkes is closer to 40.

2. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

Interesting thread:D

Mac: 46 makes sense:)
    Stella: According to GfD, she's 34, but even I don't buy that total BS:lol: I would say her youngest age to be 38
    Don: ...33
    Danny: 32
    Lindsay: 30
    Hawkes: Mm, 35
    Sid: In his 50's, obviously:p
    Adam: Late 20's, so about 28~29
    Haylen: Around Adam's age, but a bit younger than him...so I would say 27

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Danny had to be at least 30 in season 2, they're no way he should be 32 now, I would think more like 35/36. Lindsay is probably about the same age.
    Flack probably like 30/31.
    I believe Mac is supposed to be 45/46.... although Gary is in his 50s.
    Stella is supposed to be 34/35... and Melina is in her early 40s.
    I think Hawkes is supposed to be in his 30s... even though Hill is also in his early 40s.
    Sid is in his 50s.
    Adam I would guess 27-30, somewhere in there.

I hate how they try to make the characters like 10 years younger than the actor playing them.

4. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I hate it too. But it's so popular somehow. Not only in CSI New York. Just look at all teenage tv-shows and movies. Especially high school movies etc. Then people who are about 25-35 years old are pretending being teenagers. Sometimes, it may work. But only if the actors still look pretty young for their age.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. MoonyGirl

MoonyGirl Pathologist

I agree with both of you. And I've noticed that in teenage series movies etc.
    It's true that works if actors do look younger than they really are. I think it works well in CSI:NY.

I remember what shock I got when I heard Gary's real age when I started to watch CSI:NY. It was a year 2004 so he was then 49. I couldn't believe it! I "really" thought he's about 45-46...Gosh, it took several weeks to adjust! :lol: The same thing was with Carmine! I thought he was wayyyyy younger than I later found out! :rolleyes:

So I guess the age thing works fine in CSI:NY. The serie fooled me a little there! :lol:

6. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

The age thing works pretty fine in CSI NY, even if many are about 30-35 in the show. Would be nice to see more various ages actually. But hey, we have awesome actors and I want them to stay. So I have to accept the ages :)

7. melgeo

melgeo Victim

Good point. Add to that, it was established in the episode where the two blonds and exchanged driver's licenses and the mom suffocated her own daughter by accident, that Sheldon worked in a hospital (in the E/R?) before becoming a coroner. It we're being logical Sheldon must be closer to Stella in age. When the show started, I always assumed Flack was a newish detective in his mid-late 20s and younger than Danny, Flack seemed a little wet behind the ears to me in season 1. I also assumed Danny is younger than Carmine by a few years - I've no facts to back this up. And I don't care what they say, Stella is NOT 35 and Mac should be in his 50's.

8. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

I'm reading 'Four Walls', the latest CSI NY novel and found something really cool about Flack.

...The two Juniors had spent many of their formative years at each other's homes, as both Donald Flack Sr. and Terry Sullivan Sr. were NYPD. They both came on in 1978(the year both their sons were born), when then-new mayor Ed Koch was trying to increase police recruitment in the wake of fiscal disaster, the "Son of Sam" murder, and the "77 blackout"...
    He's 31(at least he is in the book). ;)

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ the books definitely went into more detail about their personal lives than we ever get in the shows, but i don't know how closely linked they are, i remember noticing one or two things that didn't quite match when i read them, but it was a while ago so i can't remember what they were!

i didn't think i'd like the books but i really did!

10. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

In The Fall 1.17 Flack said he worked on patrol with Gavin Moran for four years. In The Triangle 5.10 Flack said he worked four years on the bank robbery task force and seven years as a detective. That all adds up to 15 years. Since he couldn't become a cop until he was 21, that made him 36 in the middle of season five. Not that that means anything. TPTB are not at all consistent.

And you can't go by what the books say. In Blood on the Sun it states that Flack was a rookie in 1991, which would make him born around 1970, not 1978 as in Four Walls.

11. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Flack being 36 or 37 makes sense to me; I know Eddie is significantly younger, but there's a world weariness to Flack (even before Angell's death and what followed) that suggests some life experience.

12. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

Oh, I forgot 'The Fall' and haven't read 'Blood on the Sun'. Thanks Dreamboat for the info. :) Even though 'Four Walls' said otherwise, I think Flack being 36 makes sense.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh yeah, i don't take them as gospel (haha although there *are* 4 books, perhaps i should!!!:lol:) - but yeah, they are definitely the spin off, not the other way around, so it makes sense to trust them less. although you'd think that when the book writers were starting the book, they'd talk to the tv writers to just clarify things like ages, career histories etc. mind you the show writers don't seem to be able to communicate with eachother let alone anyone else:rolleyes::lol:

i agree :)

14. Sam-Maddy

Sam-Maddy Rookie

They get older actors to play teenagers b/c of child labor laws. Actors under the age of 18 can't work as many hours per day as people 18 and older. That's why they like to cast adults to play teenagers.

15. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

This thread just became even more interesting, as I would like to read the books too. Even if they may give me/us another view of the characters (including ages).

I assumed it was because of that reason. But I was not sure. Once again, I don't mind it as long as the actors look young for their ages. I mean, if the actor is around 30 and looks like that too, then it is not really possible to act like a teenager/young person around 17-20 years old. Now this was just an example, alright?