8x07 - 'Bone Voyage' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Another CSI Vegas fan here. I do watch NY as well.....

I thought the episode was great!
    I love the new guy. He's great. Very precise and not bad on the eyes. ;)

Horatio used to bother me a lot, one of the reasons why I don't normally watch Miami. But this episode he was dead on. His one-liners were down to a minimum. His stance was no more awkward than usual and I agree, the hug with the victims mom was such a humanizing touch.

What I didn't like about the episode is that I figured out who the 'guy' was.
    Once that couple said that they found that second girls credit card in her purse in the park ( I think) and Calleigh and Det. Tripp were asking questions of them, I KNEW he was the guy. Or he was somehow involved.
    Then when the girl made eye contact with Calleigh and Cal asked her if there was a problem, why didn't Calleigh follow through with that? Why didn't Calleigh say something??? I guess it will come out later though.

A Great episode. A bit on the gruesome side, but great none-the less.

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Hi Desertwind and ladyhunter.Even though I post 99.9% of my post in the Miami thread,I am a Vegas fan as well. I'll have to come visit you sometime. I liked the episode as well and look forward to the NY and Vegas portion of the trilogy.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. davester64

davester64 Victim

I've missed Travers-was glad to see him again!

4. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i really liked this ep. i especially loved how everyone got screentime (it seems to me that when Miami and NY crossover no one but H, Mac and Stella get good screentime) and Eva had more than two scenes and she spoke!!

i cracked up with the bear scene. Walter, Ryan and Jesse seem to have good chemistry as friends. Jesse was so funny when he called the other two girls haha.

it was nice to see Calleigh dressed in a color that wasn't black. all episode long i kept saying to my roommate how bad i wanted Calleigh's outfit lol.

i had a feeling that girl who dropped the note on the bathroom floor and her bf or whoever he is were involved. they looked susppicious from the start.

although i still don't see Ray as being the best choice to be in the crossover he was pretty good. i liked how he and H worked together. they both have that slow and passionate manor about them.

this ep went over really well i enjoyed it from start to finish. i'm excited to see NY and LV now.

5. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Good episode, I liked it more than I expected. Some quick thoughts:

I liked:

- Lots of Natalia, finally. I'm happy for Eva, she had a lot of scenes in such an important episode. She deserved it.

- Ray didn't appear until later. The promos featured him prominently so I feared the worst. I'm really glad he was just another character in a pretty balanced screentime episode.

- I'm glad it was H who figured out the way to catch Jimmy. If Ray Langston had come to Miami to be the smartest in the class like he usually is in LV I would had screamed.

- Dear writers: Thank you A LOT, for the Warrick reference. Catherine and Horatio had a very good chemistry together so it was a nice touch that he remembered.

- Miami and gangs, didn't see that coming. Honestly. :lol:

I didn't like:

- Jesse pulling a Grissom with the dummies. In case someone thinks that I'm thinking this because I hate Jesse --which I don't BTW-- I would had thought the same if Ray did it. H could've been a nice choice.

- The turtle shell moment was absolutely unnecesary in that scene. It was very insensitive of Ryan and Walter to be joking when a poor girl was missing and could be dying, regardless if the moment was funny or not. Moments like that are making me dislike Walter a lot. He has to be funny in every single scene he is in, no matter how appropiate that would be.

- It was too obvious that the girl who had found Ashley's purse was in danger too. Painfully obvious. :rolleyes: We didn't need another scene to confirm that. It would have been enough with the scene at the bar and then the scene at the end. Sometimes the writers think the audience is too dense to pick up clues and love to emphazise the evident.

- The actor that played Jimmy had played a baddie before in "Crime Wave", so I knew he would be involved. They reuse the actors way too much and it's easy to figure out who the killer is.

- I hated HATED the bear scene. Oh well, I'm the only one. It was embarrasing bad and unfunny. This is not "Friends", that's not a show that needs your typical funny scene with canned laugh. This show needs quirky, intelligent, dark humor, not easy and plain humor.

I think it's unfair to say that the Jesse-haters won't be heared this time. Uhmm, what about the Jesse-lovers? What if the nonfans are equally tired of hearing them? This is a debate, I don't agree with many of the things that are posted here, but I absolutely don't mind to read every week those opinions. That's the beauty of the debate and saying something like "at last a week sans the haters comments" is like saying that you only want to hear what you like to hear, which would be extremely boring, IMO. Debates are engaging and funny.

And just to clarify things, I don't hate Jesse, I hate that the writers are trying to "Mary Sue" him which is a shame for the show. I don't like him either, I guess I'm still undecided. I also don't think that he has too much screentime, I've been praising the writers for giving almost everyone balanced screentime this season.

So, to sum up, I don't care about Jesse, but the constant positive remarks about him bother me a lot. I can think for myself, thank you. I don't need the writers to tell me how awesome he is. :rolleyes:

6. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Didn't Walter just mistake the shell for a skull because of the shape and color? That's what I got from it,not "look a skull ,ha ha" but rather,"isn't this a skull"? People thought it was funny because normally Walter seems pretty smart.

7. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

The most endearing quality of Horatio Caine is his compassion. Out of all the CSIs in three series, he is the most compassionate one of them all!

It was a mistake.....Walter ACCIDENTLY mistakened the shell for a skull, it wasn't done on purpose..

Well, like you said, this is a debate, and this episode tipped in favor of Jesse fans showing that the show can find good balance and not playing Jesse as a screentime hogger. So I don't think a little celebration is unfair, I wouldn't call it unfair if the non-Jesse fans were proven right.

And I never said that I don't wanna read others' opinions, but I am allowed to have a moment of happiness and peace of mind that my patience and faith in the writers were at least somewhat vindicated by the episode. And I am not saying that I only like to hear the sound of my own voice here, all I said is that I'm glad for a moment of vindication and peace of mind that I was at least in the right about Jesse. I think that is allowed.

I'm not asking everyone to like Jesse, and if they don't, I really could care less, everyone's gonna like different characters, I'm not telling anyone what to do here.

8. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Another NY (and Vegas) fan here, throwing in on Miami's installment of the crossover. I have to say, I only started watching Miami seriously a little while ago, but this might be my favourite episode in a long time. Everything was just so dead-on, Ray didn't steal the show, we got to see all the characters really work together and interact with each other in a hilarious way...it kind of made me sad to think that Ray was leaving Miami at the end :lol:

Was sooo happy to see so much of Natalia -- they never seem to give her character nearly as much as they could, which sucks because as shown from this ep, she could really do wonders if she was given more. I think the scene where she and Ryan were interrogating the perp in his first scene was one of the very best (and yes, I'm totally rating it against the moment where Horatio mentioned Catherine and Warrick :p). That guy was so skeevy, and she handled him with just the right amount of dry wit and disdain. Also, Ryan's "let's go, Hef"? I was laughing well into the commercial break. Those two work really well together!

Ryan, I found him just completely endearing in this episode. I can't really pinpoint why -- the bear scene with Walter didn't make me laugh much (although the turtle-shell thing was worth a chuckle), and while I generally like his moments with Walter and Jesse, there wasn't a whole lot that made the three of them stand out for me in this episode, but all the same...

Calleigh calling Dave (it was Dave, right?) a rock star, made my night :lol: I felt like she didn't get much screentime in this episode (at least, when compared to other characters), but she still made an impression -- and the way she played off of Ray was just great.

Was anyone else really, really amused by the new ME's being a fanboy of Langston's? I liked that.

Ray Langston was also pretty awesome in this episode, just for being altogether unassuming, and kind of under the radar. I'm still pretty ambivalent to him as a character on Vegas, even after all this time; I don't know, there's just been way too many episodes where he really hogs the limelight, so I was glad not to see Super Ray shoved down our throats this time.

Also glad not to see the same thing with Super H :lol: I agree with everyone who thought Horatio came off very sweet in this episode...not too many ridiculous one-liners, his compassion with the mother at the end was perfect, and of course his mentioning Warrick's death, telling Ray to give Catherine his condolences; that was beautiful. That totally made up for not getting to see the crossover-case start in Las Vegas (I was hoping we might see a flashback to Vegas during the Miami ep, but the case was introduced really well even without that).

All in all, I'm definitely impressed! Lol, now just crossing my fingers for the NY version to be just as great :lol:

9. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Of course it was a mistake! That's not what I meant. I meant that once it was established that Walter mistook the shell for a bone, it was unnecessary to joke about it due to the nature of the task they were doing --a simple roll of eyes on Ryan's part would've been enough. It was tasteless and made them look bad. In another episode or scene, I would have said that it wasn't funny but I wouldn't have deemed it inappropiate. It bother me a lot that they were joking in that moment.

10. meganhyman

meganhyman Victim

i loved the bear stuff i laughted out loud it was so funny..

11. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Haven't watched Miami since Season 6 Ep 11 with "The Vaporizer" mega-gun.

I'm glad to see my reasons haven't changed.......random music during a flashback and it seems like the person in charge of the music had put a random home-made CD in and pushed shuffle.

Nice to see "Dr" Ray at work....that really bugged the hell out of me. Either Dr. Livingston or Ray not the combo.

As for the episode, bit gruesome, especially the cutting up while alive. I wonder how high up in the chain the ZETAs go....some ultra-violent Mason style group.

I feel sorry for Walter....haven't seen any other episodes but he seems just to be there for the others to make fun of.

Haven't seen NY since the Season 4 finale, for some reason I wasn't compelled to find out what happened to Mac after he was taken hostage.

Should be interesting catch-up.

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

A dry statement was made,there was no running yuk,yuk joke. You thought it was tasteless and made them look bad.The statement IMO, was the equivalent of an eye roll .The turtle shell part was the funny part for me and a few others I know,everyone sees things differently.

13. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I didn't see it as a moment of levity either. Ryan's face was pretty tense when he made the comment, and he then didn't want Walter to feel stupid. But he certainly wasn't cracking a joke. IMHO both Ryan and Walter are professional enough not to make light during a search for a missing person (ending up being persons) who they ultimately found dead.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  14. meganhyman

meganhyman Victim

i have never watched csi new york before so not sure if i will watch it

15. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Well I liked this episode and I will say it is the best Miami to date.

-I don't think Walter and Ryan were joking about the turtle shell. The argument could be made that Walter hasn't dealt with bones and assumed it was a skull based on its appearance. Ryan may have indirectly admonished him for causing a false alarm..

However it was a little odd putting that bit with the bear. Yeah I laughed but can't help that it shouldn't have been there

I think someone said how Walter wears the same thing all the time. I'm guilty of that too:)

Any way my rating 4.5/5

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a flight to NY :)