CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Bright Lights, Big City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, I hope it doesn't go that route, too! Seeing Danny trying to battle and hide pain is one thing, but yeah... I really don't want to see it go the "addicted to painkillers" route. I could see him pretending to be okay landing him in danger though, especially if he keeps pursuing killers.

True, and I'm sure he'll try to hide it from everyone, but isn't Lindsay supposed to be the person he can tell anything to?

Eh, I don't really see Danny as sexist or looking at Lindsay as "the little woman" that he can't tell things to. I think it's that he doesn't feel he can confide in Lindsay herself--because he's never looked at her, specifically, as someone he can confide in. To be fair, this season Lindsay is doing everything she can to prove to him that she's not going to leave him or abandon him at the first sign of trouble--but Danny is someone who has deep-seated abandonment issues to begin with.

I hope it's setting up some sort of arc for him--something much more interesting and unique than the painkiller addiction thing we're all worried about. If he's going out in the field when he shouldn't, a suspect or killer could get the jump on him. Or he could really end up injuring himself further on the job. I'm curious to see where it goes!

2. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Realistically, probably not. I freely admit to having a somewhat cyinical view of relationships but personally speaking I'm much more likely to disclose to a friend than a partner if I'm trying to avoid worrying said partner.

I certainly don't see Danny as being driven by sexism, but I do see him as being driven by his desire to provide for and to protect his family (which I guess some people might see as sexist). I agree that there is the element of Danny not seeing Lindsay as being someone he can confide in based on past history. But, I do think she's doing everything she can to be that person for him. I agree that it boils down to his deep-seated issues and that being said, I suspect he'd be that way whoever he was married to. It's interesting because thinking back to Lindsay's S4 comment of 'I feel like I lost my best friend' I wonder if she views Danny as being the only person she can confide in. It'd be interesting to see that explored in terms of how Lindsay is affected by his current tendency to protect her from his issues. I'd like to see her react to it because I think she's got to be hurt by it in some way.

I'm not sure they will show him getting injured more than he has been, if only because they seemed to want him to recover pretty quickly this time around. But, I think it'd be interesting to see a consequence of his actions affecting him or those around him and the fall out from that. If he's worried about money and 'providing for' his family then that's another route they can take. I doubt it'd be much about money though as they've gone that route with Hawkes, but I can certainly see some potential for Danny having to cut back on his hours and subsequently his pay and where that would take him in terms of his sense of responsibility. I don't for one minute think he'd do anything unethical but what comes to mind is an opportunity to bring up his shady past. Maybe Louie could return with a dodgy proposition, that while Danny's own moral code won't allow him to follow through it will put him in a difficult situation and possibly bring to light some of his family history. Of course that will depend on his family still having a dodgy history and not being full of cops as was revealed last season.

3. Top41

I guess a partner to me is just that--a person you go through life with and share with. You're on the same team, so to speak. Danny and Lindsay have never really looked at each other that way, which is one of the reasons why they don't work as a couple IMO. They're willing to be there for each other when it's the other one hurting, but not willing to turn to each other with their own issues--that's not really a partnership.

Yeah, but I imagine Lindsay feels the same. If Danny had been stuck in the wheelchair permanently, I think she would have been happy to be the breadwinner while he stayed home with Lucy. I think they both look at their roles as providers--after all, he didn't seem to expect she'd quit her job to stay home to take care of Lucy.

Is he protecting her, or himself? While I think he's been her best friend in the past, she's never been his. The people Danny has always turned to have been Flack and Mac. So while yes, she's trying to be there for him now, he doesn't seem to be responding to that, perhaps because most of her past behavior showed him giving and not getting anything in return from her.

I kind of hope they continue building the 'reckless' arc they were going for last season. Danny getting shot in the bar had everything to do with bad luck and nothing to do with his own recklessness. If he's going out in the field before he's physically ready to, that could backfire and have some real consequences--I think danger is more likely than another injury--and that would pay off the recklessness foreshadowing we saw in last season's "Point of No Return."

4. JellyBelly

Ideally, your definition of a partner hits the nail on the head of what it should be like. Add my cynicism into the mix and I believe it's a rare occurence in life. That's not to say it can't happen, I just believe that the portrayal here is realistic compared with a lot of RL relationships. It does give some leeway for them to develop in their relationship but I suspect that tptb enjoy the opportunities for dramatic licence a little too much to resolve this particular issue of theirs completely. But, with Lindsay being overtly more supportive this season, there is still an opportunity to see some development.

Agreed, that's why I don't see it as sexism. But, I still believe that he's protecting her to a certain extent. He probably sees it as protecting her from himself, which brings us back to his deep-seated issues - some of which I'd like to see explored as part of this storyline.

I suspect it's a bit of both. Danny clearly has the lowest opinion of himself compared to everybody else. He expects to mess up and does things on his own in order to protect them and himself from the consequences of that. If he doesn't disclose then everybody thinks he's doing fine. The problem with that is that something almost always goes wrong which then backfires onto him and compounds his insecurities.

I suspect that's the direction they'll go in if they intend to take it further. :)

5. Top41

Yeah, but realistically, relationships as communication-challenged as theirs rarely make it to the marriage stage. Or if they do, they end up breaking up.

There is, although we're still seeing that same pattern--he's avoiding talking to her/telling her how bad things are. She's being supportive but isn't able to get through or isn't pushing hard enough.

I don't know if it's protecting her so much as not seeing her as someone he can trust fully. Flack and to some extent Mac are the only ones who have gotten through to Danny to the point where he's willing to open up to them.

Agreed, completely--he thinks he's a mess, but he's also convinced everyone is going to hurt him eventually.

I hope so! The Danny in danger eps are always fun, and it would be nice to see him freaking out a bit and realizing he's in a bad situation because of his own recklessness.

6. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I don't know if this has been post yet:confused::confused:

But here is a link for this wednesday episode and it's sound to be a good one. I know I said I won't watch it but well I am intrigued so :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZX6ADZiyY

enjoy

7. FieryRed

FieryRed Rookie

the plot I posted was 6x12. I think it was me that I made the mistake but I could swear till yesterday it said 6.13 anyway.... I apologize for this....

8. JellyBelly

I totally agree that she's not pushing hard enough. In all fairness though, I think she's come a heck of a long way and it would be unrealistic to see her pushing as hard as say Flack (has in the past) at this point. And that's the difference. I don't really agree that Danny particularly opens up to Flack or Mac any more than he does Lindsay. Flack has pushed the right buttons on a couple of occasions and has gotten more out of Danny because of it. But, I don't think Danny is ever really more willing to open up with any of them. He's not likely to go to any of them with his issues/concerns/worries. The times he has disclosed has been when it's been dragged out of him to a certain extent. The main exception to that was when he talked to Mac about marriage etc last season.

Agreed. Although I think the 'someone else' in danger because of Danny could be as much fun.

9. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

About episode 12

I think maybe Danny doesn't want to worry Lindsay, he often keep things not to worried people when he share it's because it's related to his job.

But what I don't get is ... a few episode ago Hawkes was pissed off because he though Danny didn't push himself enough, and that he needs pain for his precious things:confused::confused: and now we have to buy that maybe he came to the job too earlier:alienblush::alienblush: well at least for the moment he is only taking aspirin, we don't get addict to aspirin so maybe the "put his life in danger" will be the route writters follow:)

Maybe they will used the last year scenario Danny in trouble and Lindsay coming to his rescue???

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. Top41

What about "On the Job" where he called Flack to meet him at the diner? Or "Comes Around," when he called Flack to meet him at the bar? The only time Danny has ever run from Flack or avoided telling him what was wrong was "All in the Family." And though he's dodged Mac a bit more, he did turn to him twice in RSRD. It's Lindsay he doesn't trust, and understandably--for a long time, she didn't give him any reason to trust her. I think that changed in season five, though, so it will be interesting to see when Danny catches up to that.

Just as long as it's not Lindsay. :p She doesn't need to be any more of a Mary Sue than she already is!

The someone else in danger might be a better wake up call for Flack, though. I think Flack is in more serious denial than Danny. Danny knows he has a problem and is hiding it; Flack almost seems to think he's fine--or at least fine enough to function at work.

Yeah, I agree that his MO right now is not to worry people, period. Danny doesn't want to do anything that would risk his job--and clueing people into his pain might. Even Lindsay, if she went to Mac.

Poor Danny--he can't win! It might be cool if we saw some follow up with Hawkes about that. Maybe if Hawkes is the one Danny tells about his pain?

I like that--Lindsay is at her most interesting when she's being tough and not "I can't handle this" whiny. It would be cool to see her have to rescue her husband--and maybe baby, too?

11. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Ya I would like to see Hawkes concerned and worried because he feels himself somewhere responsable for telling Danny not to listen his pain and we will see sort of maybe a continuity of his behaviour about the loss of his money. First Danny and after the man in the park;);)

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oooh good, disruptive mac :D

13. JellyBelly

I still don't think he freely discloses to any of them. He did with Flack in "On the Job" but that was out of sheer desperation and the fact that Flack didn't react in the way he wanted him to (as unreasonable as that was) may have compounded his insecurities. Likewise with Mac in RSRD. "Comes Around" wasn't really about him and struck me more as two friends trying to 'put the world to rights'. I agree that he still doesn't trust Lindsay, but I equally think he doesn't trust Flack or Mac (or anyone) not to think the worst of him. Also, considering the number of personal issues Danny has had over the course of the series, the times he turns to any of them are outweighed by the times he doesn't.

I hope that Danny does catch up to Lindsay being there for him, I'm hoping that will be some character growth - not just for Danny though. If he continues to shut her out then I'd really like to see her reaction to that because at the moment she's coping with it all and while she's saying the right things to him to get him to trust her he still doesn't see it. Danny is such an emotional being that I wonder if Lindsay needs to get to his level in order for him to really feel that. It will require a greater emotional investment from Lindsay than we've seen so far but I would love to see her showing him the effect his secrecy has on her (but not in a 'it's all about Lindsay' way).

I wasn't even thinking the 'who' in this case. More, that it'd be great to see Danny's reaction to any one of the team in danger because of him. In fact, I'd much rather it wasn't Lindsay.

Good point. Flack is definitely going to need a wake up call sooner or later.

I like that too! I'm still disappointed we didn't get to see that scenario last season. Maybe they could combine the Flack and Danny arcs and have Danny (with or without Lucy) in trouble because of his limitations but with Flack's actions playing into it as well. That way we get to have Lindsay going all out to the rescue and Flack getting his wake up call and getting into a spin because Danny's in trouble and it's all his fault (at least, that's the way Flack will see it). Cool.

That will definitely be an intersting storyline. I love Sheldon and his moral/ethical compass but it is a completely different scenario treating patients with similar problems to actually being the person with that huge hurdle to deal with. I'd like to see Sheldon acknowledge that because as much as I loved the ass kicking he gave Danny on so many levels, he can't possibly have known what Danny was going through on a personal/emotional level in that particular scenario.

EDT. Just spotted this;
    http://www.fancast.com/blogs/the-big-bang-theory/the-big-tease-scoop-on-ncis-greys-csi-ny-and-more/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  14. Top41

That could be really cool--guilt-ridden Hawkes was so interesting in "It Happened to Me." I love how he handled it--kept it to himself but it was obvious to the audience that it was eating him up inside.

I definitely agree that Danny expects people will think the worst of him when things go wrong, but I think part of that is because he thinks the worst of himself. Danny's self-esteem is ridiculously low... he expects people to think he's a screw-up because he thinks he's a screw up. I do think of everyone in his life, he does trust Flack--Flack does seem to be the one he turns to with his insecurities and fears. But Danny does have his walls and insecurities, definitely.

I think Lindsay fundamentally doesn't get Danny on that level because he's so different from her that way. It was like that conversation when they talked about the murder in "Dead Reckoning"--coming at it from totally different angles. That difference--and the fact that it defies the stereotypical sexual roles--is one of the few things I do find interesting about them as a couple.

I think that would be awesome. That could open the door for a lot of cool conflict. It would be a wake-up call for Flack--as well as a major point of guilt because Flack is so protective of Danny... Danny is the last person he'd want to be responsible for endangering. Lindsay could have some cool action stuff--and I bet she'd have some choice words for Flack if he was responsible. And it could be cool for Danny because he's at his most interesting when he's angsty/in danger.

Agreed! I think Hawkes was being pretty clinical about it, and while Danny might have needed a kick in the ass, Hawkes doesn't know what he's going through.

Thanks for that! Awesome that Matt Mitovich found a home at Fancast. :D That's good to hear re: D/L--no more drama for these two needed now, at least between them. Danny's near/possible injury relapse is definitely something I hope we see really pursued and explored.

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

No apologies necessary - spoilers can be confusing sometimes. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.