"Death And The Maiden" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 31, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I actually think they have been listening to the fans more this season than any other. However, its possible that if they had already planned to make her his girlfriend, that they've already filmed the ep where she becomes his girlfriend before we even got to see this one, so our feedback would be too late. :lol: Too bad the roles weren't reversed with this actress playing Kristi and Krista Allen playing the social worker. There was chemistry between George and Krista. If the character hadn't been a prostitute, she might have made a good girlfriend for him. :lol: But career wise, it wouldn't be good for a CSI to have a girlfriend who is a prostitute. :lol:

2. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

nice ep,in my opinion the writers doing a excelent job.
    everything in this season is so far perfect,such as screentime,storyline and acting..
    im glad that csi is really consistency on the fact that everbody(fans) wanna know their private issues(like in case nick).
    csi have that touch of emergency room or friday night lights in it,its not about the case himself,its more about acting..

3. violetsareblue

violetsareblue Dead on Arrival

Count me in as someone else who loved this episode. I was also happy to see so much Greg and I would love it if he trained Wendy. First of all, it would allow him to be in more of a leadership position and second, I think they'd be really fun to watch together (not as a couple!). I loved that he defended her and she thanked him with a smile. Nice moment.
    Also, I thought that the actors playing the young couple were wonderful. That ending just tore me up. Great great episode.

4. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Summary:
    - it was great to see Catherine actually processing a scene again. It’s something they seem to have taken away from her since her promotion to supervisor.

- Poor Wendy. Will she ever get out into the field now and be a CSI? Or, as she put it “from lab rat to field mouse” ROFL! Maybe that was a hint from TPTB that the rumors they had been giving us for the past few years was just a bunch of smoke they were blowing up our butt. Whether she gets out into the field or not, please continue to give Wendy more screen time – no matter how you have to do it! Tonight was a great episode for Wendy, even if she was stuck in the lab.

- Two cases turn into one… … …
    Lesson for TPTB:
    * ‘A’ story + ‘B’ story with 2 endings = entertaining
    * ‘A’ story + ‘B’ story with 1 ending = major overuse!

- an Eddie mention! Awwww. Marg & Tim Carhart had great chemistry together. I miss them sparring at each other.

- Vartann! Vartann!! Yay it’s Vartann again! And what is it with Vartann at strip clubs?

- Doc & the clapper lights. LOL

- Hodges & Greg talking in pig-latin! Ool-Cay!!

- Boring ending? Maybe I was just too dizzy with the merry-go-round of the last 10 minutes. Maybe it’s because there was a lot of humor for the first ¾ of the episode and the final ¼ was too serious and dull.

- Not sure about the title of this episode. Was Jess supposed to be the “maiden”?

My full review can be found here

5. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

My feelings are a little mixed on this ep. I really enjoyed the main cast here, but disliked the guest characters. I also liked the idea for the case, but not the execution.

I'll start with the cast:

GREG! :guffaw: He was freaking hilarious! Everything from the talking to himself to the pig latin, great. I really liked how he was the one who basically solved the case. And the part where he defended Wendy was very nice, (though I have my own reasons for liking that scene ;)) I'm going so far as to call this a Greg episode.

Catherine was pleasant in this ep. A lot less Ray, which is always awesome. Doc and the clapper... some how I can really see that :lol:.

I'm not a big fan of Wedges, but I didn't mind it here. Hodges is still creepy but god I love Wendy!

What surprised me was that I was finding Nick annoying here. That is a first. Something about his scenes last night left me going :wtf:. I don't know why though. Maybe I was just so into the Greg scenes that I didn't want to see anyone else. I don't know.

Normally the guest cast for CSI is usually pretty good and convincing. Last night, however, I disliked the majority of characters. The only two I liked were Tommy and his drunken mom. Everyone else seemed to me like they were trying to hard.

I hated the first line from Tommy's brother, "Are you from the crime lab?" Honestly, who asks that? Everytime someone asks who one of the CSIs are, it's always "Are you a cop?" It may just be me, but it sounded very forced.

I'm unsure on the Nick's girlfriend (if that is indeed her) part. I like that it started out confrontational, but she just didn't resonate with me. I'll cast my verdict on her when (and if) we see her again.

I like the idea for the case. It isn't something that we see or hear about too often. But somehow I didn't get into it. I'm blaming the guest actors for that.

I like the absurdity behind why Sara wasn't in this ep. If she really had a scene that was that bad, wouldn't she need help? Oh well.

I don't know how to rate this ep. I loved the character screen time and will surely rewatch this episode quite a bit. Yet that case was just... meh. So I'll rate it as that: Character: A, Case: C+

As for the title: Death and the Maiden was a theme in Renaissance art. It was along the lines of Danse Macabre which basically was an allegory for how death is connected to everyone. Everyone in the ep copped to the murder or was somehow involved. Source - "Batman: Death and The Maidens". (I'm a comic book junky)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Confused about the money.......how did they "bait" her....they said it was bait money.

Far too confusing and unexplained.

7. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

when Greg processed the cash register drawer, he found a serial number written on it & said that many 'Mom & Pops' write down the serial number of a $20 bill they always keep in their register and it's 'bait' if anyone tries to rob them. That gives them some evidence to help the police if they get robbed. and it did in this case.

8. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

I liked this one.

Loved the scene with Brass, Cath, and the hooker. I lol'd when the hooker called Cath blondie. In her defense, that red hair looked blonde in the alley, lol. But Marg's face when the hooker was all close to Jim and going "That's okay cause I got his number!" made me crack up. I love when Brass and Cath are together, they seem to bring out the best in people.

An Eddie mention?! Holy smokes! I loved it as much as I loved that messy little ponytail...

The Hodges/Wendy scene was so cute. Hodges/Ecklie in a book club made me laugh...Wonder if it's Oprah's. But seriously, it was really adorable and a good scene that made Hodges look smitten.

All in all, it was a really good episode. I enjoyed it a lot.

9. symbeline

symbeline Witness

It could be a reference to the excellent Roman Polanski movie of the same title. Check it out here.

I like the other theory, though.

10. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

i must say i was impressed with death and the maiden
    all week i was like oh great another 2 cases are 1 Again:scream:
    but i liked this one
    and sara wasnt in it:( but at least they mentioned her, and where she was
    greg talking to himself:lol: and seeing ray so much less:thumbsup:(sorry i didnt miss him)
    the guy being raped that's kinda something csi has never done, they've done kids and women, but i love when they have something new:thumbsup:
    wendy could get out in field when sara leaves, they'll be short handed again, that being greg's new job-that's an interesting idea:)
    lots of nick,cath, and greg:thumbsup:

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

Loved the episode! Doc Robbins' clapper was such a hoot, as was Wendy's "lab rat to field mouse" crack. And, of course I really liked the balance in screen time, with everyone in the cast (except Sara, who was mentioned) given something they could sink their teeth into.

I agree with others who think the victim services worker doesn't have a whole lotta chemistry with Nick, but sometimes these things can develop over time, so I'll give her a pass until we can see where it's headed.

I, too, was a bit surprised that Nick didn't mention his own experience of being sexually assaulted, but I can also see how it would be very hard for him to explain that to anyone other than someone he trusts, and of course that's why he admitted this to Catherine. I also think it's there in the background, for we fans to know and understand. And maybe this will come up later with the victim services gal. We'll see.

One thing both my hubby and I talked about was how much we like Nick. He is always direct, and you know where you stand with him. He's a good guy.

I loved Greg talking to himself; a hint of the old Greg, but with the professional side of him very much in evidence, too. Good growth in the character-development department! But was anyone surprised that he asked permission from Ray to process the other side of the room? Wouldn't Greg be Ray's superior, or has Ray risen through the ranks so quickly that he is now Greg's superior? Or was that just a courtesy on Greg's part, since Ray had already started working that side of the room?

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I did think that was odd at first, but then I figured it was a courtesy thing. Greg didn't know where Langston had already been. I saw it as him asking "hey, is it okay to go over here or have you been there already?"

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

Good point. That makes sense!

14. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah I though the same thing that he was just doing it as a courtesy. And probably because Greg had finished his part of the building.

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It struck me as odd at first, but then I realized Greg was more asking "do you need any help with anything", but just worded it differently.