Grade 'It Happened to Me'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 4, 2009.

?

How would you grade It Happened to Me?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New ep tonight with a big storyline for Hawkes! Watch it and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

It's awesome that this episode centered around Sheldon. He never gets enough love. We got to see a lot of development in his relationships with everyone else, particularly, Mac and Stella, but what I thought was the most interesting was his scene with Don. These two left me feeling like Flack and the Doc do not share enough screen time. They're such different people, I just get right to the edge of my seat when they've really got an interesting scene to tackle together. I like how they had Hawkes mention Angell at the end too, even if it alluded to a friendship between the two of them that we'd only scratched the surface of before her death, him mentioning Jessica made me reflect on his scene with Don in a new light.

While I appreciated the mention of economic struggles, and was glad they didn't do something stupid like chalk it up to a gambling problem or Sheldon having some addiction that was eating up his money, what's more concerning than Sheldon's money problems are these hallucinations he's having. If they only did that for the sake of this episode I think it was a little much.

Sid was not only back but stopped by the lab to help out with something he was just too interested in to step away from. He reminds me of those profs who are so enthralled to be talking about their subject of expertise that they have no idea how dorky they come off. It's pretty cute.

Danny managed to make light of his own situation and get a smile out of Mac in the process, but if they want to make me feel like serious time has passed into his recovery they need to stop making me notice his mobility aid at all. Not that I'm against the cane, I'm very pro-cane being such a House fan and all, just that I'd like to see him look comfortably casual with it before it disappears like the wheelchair. If they want me to believe he's been dealing with it for a long arduous recovery I think the audience has to feel like Danny's used to it so we're used to it.

Unfortunately the case, while it had moments of entertainment, a good inclusion of the cast, and even touched on some science I don't think they've used too much (if ever) on NY before it got a little garbled with the B plot and those last fifteen minutes left a lot to be desired. It felt very much like the story could have been tidier with another ten minutes. While I'm glad we got to see the reveal of just what was going on with Sheldon and his money issues, it made me cringe a little that it got flushed out over talking a man off a ledge.

So while the case was lacking we got a lot of good character moments out of this one; Adam and his intimate knowledge of all things kinky raised Flack's eyebrows, insights into how people regard Sheldon Hawkes, and a lot of moments between people who don't share a ton of screen time.

After, Sheldon's financial turmoil is outed and Mac steps up to tell him he's got a place to stay. I have to say that Mac didn't so much invite him as told him, and refused to have a drawn out conversation about it. It was a very fitting invite, but rooming with Mac Taylor? Umm... I wouldn't be rushing to move in. Sheldon might be better off in a hostel. Then again, the ex-marine and the young Doc, I smell a sitcom!

3. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Okay, I made sure to catch this one early, and I really loved it from the first few minutes. The trailer made Hawkes’ flashbacks (with the talking dead people) look a little cheesy, but I actually like the way it was done in the episode – especially since it happened with the girl (Tracy?), too.

The sploshing scene was hilarious (well, Flack’s and Danny’s reactions to it was :p), but the case itself wasn’t all that much to write home about. What really made this episode for me was how great Mac was with Hawkes and other members of the team, and of course Hawkes himself. There was a real edginess between him and the team in this episode, which made me uncomfortable right up until the last few minutes, when I started thoroughly enjoying it. I was a little weirded out by how they were kind of distrusting him throughout (although on the other hand, I liked that a lot too, because Hawkes was shown giving them reasons to distrust), but the ending scene made me smile :) And melt, and feel sad in some places. I’m loving this storyline. I hope we see much more of it. Especially with Mac and Hawkes living together – they cannot drop that on us and not follow up on it.

Did anyone else catch Danny’s last line to Flack on the phone when he was processing the apartment the first time? (Something like “take care of yourself over there”) That made me smile too, ‘cause it was nice to finally see someone else (and ok, Danny in particular) acknowledge what Flack’s been going through.

Love, love, love Sid sitting in on one of the lab experiments. I insist on seeing more scenes like that :D And I’ll be back in case I need to comment on more and/or change my grade, but for now I’m sticking with the A-

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Aww, Sheldon. :adore: Poor baby - but I'm glad it didn't take long for them to find out the truth after the misunderstandings started. I enjoyed the scene with Flack calling him on his crap - even though Hawkes didn't tell him the truth.

I enjoyed Adam's scenes - poor baby, Haylen's encroaching on his space. I was slightly annoyed that Stella wasn't more understanding. It's not just that she moved stuff - that's just...symbolic. It would be nice if Mac would look Adam in the eye and say, "You're not going anywhere, Haylen or no Haylen." Instead everybody just smiles and rolls their eyes at silly Adam. *sigh*

Loved the scene with Danny and Flack talking from the different buildings - I'll admit it, when Flack saw Danny across the way and smiled, it made me happy. :p I was also amused by Danny's scene with Hawkes while watching the video of the sploshing party. And Adam explaining what sploshing is. Oh, boys. :adore:

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, but I thought the end could have used some more time - maybe divide this particular storyline into two episodes or something. But with the crossover coming next week, there would have been a gap. Oh well, I enjoyed having a Sheldon episode in any case. :D

Also - SID IN THE LAB, YAY! :D

5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I was happy that this was Hawkes centered, and not all about Mac.

Haylen wasn't in the episode! Although, it's clear Adam still doesn't like her moving things.

Adam always seems to know about the more kinky stuff... like sploshing. Although Flack's expressions were great.

I don't think I've ever seen Sid in a lab coat before.

6. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

Awesome storyline, good solid plot, amazing character moments. A++

Is it just me or is every Hawkes centered episode (The Shane Casey arc, Help, and now It Happened To Me) the best of the season?

Absolutely amazing story line for Hawkes. Hill is such an amazing actor, and you could actually feel Sheldon's disappointment in the interrogation room with Flack, and his agony while talking down John(?).

I was actually squealing during the Danny/Sid geek out moments. Great chemistry between them.

Lindsay was good, solid moment with Adam.

Adam...ah, Adam. His fuss over Haylen moving his stuff, the sploshing explaination (loved Stella and Don's expressions) all typical Adam.

The conversations between characters (Don/Hawkes, Mac/Stella, Adam/Lindsay, Sid/Danny) weren't the pairings we're used to (with the exception of M/S) but really highlighted the familial bond within the team.

Loved how worried Mac was. He wasn't worried for a co-worker/teammate, he was genually worried about a friend/son-figure. His offer at the end was typical Mac "I'm offering, and there's no room for discussion".

It seemed like everyone was in character, which given the previous episodes is very refreshing.

One tiny complaint was the Adam/Stella moment. All in all it was cute, but Stella shouldn't have been confused about why he was so upset. It was hinted at/proven in 'The Party's Over' that Adam is OCD. Hell, it would bother anyone, even without the disorder...

That's all for now.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ooh, good point about the OCD. I didn't think about that, but it does add to the fact that he'd be bothered by a temporary, part-time n00b moving his stuff around.

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I didn't realize the OCD hints were there.

Now we just have to get him together with Ryan for an ep. Or Monk lol

9. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Ya, I definitely feel for Adam and think Stella should have taken his frustration a little more seriously, or even read between the freaking lines a little and realized that this wasn't really about test tubes, but at the same time I think it says something marvelous about the kind of person Adam is that when Stella suggested with a look that he was making a mountain of a mole hill, he smiled sheepishly and was willing to accept that he might be. That strikes me as a mark of a self aware and well balanced person.<3

10. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yeah, the new interactions were part of what made me melt in this episode (favourite was Danny/Sid, with Adam/Lindsay coming in a close second); it felt like a very team-family-oriented episode, which I thought made the Hawkes storyline a lot more meaningful. (Just watched it again, so if I sound like an overanalyzing nerd, that's why :p) Initially I was bugged by how harsh a few of them were being to Hawkes, given how long they'd all been working together; but then it was obvious that he was hiding something he didn't trust them with...so maybe part of the harshness was because he was pretty much betraying that familial bond. I keep thinking of the look Flack gave him in the interrogation room, like it wasn't about Flack seriously thinking Hawkes was mixed up in something sketchy, but that he was upset Hawkes wasn't telling him everything.

On the Adam/Stella moment, I thought Stella's last look to him was a form of reassurance more than anything; she knew he was upset about Haylen possibly replacing him. Or so I saw it :lol: Good point about the OCD, though, I didn't think to attribute that to Adam's irritation. It's funny that Haylen was moving stuff around on her first day :lol: (or first day without Adam there), but I also thought it was a weird complaint. Are Haylen/Adam really the only lab techs who work in that area of the lab? Anyone could've moved things around.

11. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

Not bad. The case was incredibly bland and the smiling tour hostess was so chirpy I wanted to bitchslap her, but at least the team resorted to non-flashy stuff to solve the case. BTW, who gives himself such a weird alias to commit murder? Wouldn't something like "John Smith" be more handy? Just saying.

Awwww... my poor Sheldon. I love him, even with his current hairstyle. I would recommend he'd call the Ghostbusters or Bruce Willis if he continues seeing ghosts and that he finds himself another place soon. Living with the boss... uncomfortable!

Potential Adam/Haylen? I'm feeling force-fed here. Stella's "yeah, right, whatever" look meant trouble to me. She was quite insensitive to Adam's OCD and there's no way she can have forgotten about it. She works with him, for Pete's sake! Even if it's the mildest brand of OCD, there will always be hints of it here and there.

Continuing with Stella, is she turning into S1 Mac or what? I found her so cold and insensitive all the time. Her conversation with Mac about Sheldon made me roll my eyes. Talk about empathy, I thought he was the stern one. I found her OOC sometimes today. I don't think she was being spontaneous, but bitchy.

I'm happy we had no cheesy DL moments this week. I don't need to be reminded they're married and that they have a baby girl who's a variable amount of months old.

I like Flack in casual clothes and I didn't see him so terribly gloomy this time. Anyway, he wasn't the one in the spotlight today and we know he's pretty much screwed up anyway.

Gotta love Sid's suggestion about lividity. He and Danny at the lab were love. I can has moar, y/y?

12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

No more Mac "hanging over the railing" shots. His face got so red I thought his head was going too blow up!:eek: I really enjoyed this episode because of the mixing up of the characters. And I was even able to tolerate Lindsey..did I really say that?:wtf: it was nice to see they pried Danny off of her hip. But the best was having SO much Hawkes.I love him by the way did I mention that? And Sid!...Sid Sid Sid!!! What fun to see him and Danny sharing there storyline.I have missed him! I was not bothered by the exchange of Stella towards Adam. I think TPTB were trying to "back peddle" from the previous pairing of the two. They show Stella as a firm mom type and Adam as a little "too parinoid" kid. Hence the differential equation of personality.:rolleyes: Stella was good with her moments with Hawkes and Flack as always, I love him so...sigh:) All in all I feel the real storyline was "meet the character night" and for that I give it an A. They mixed them up and served them well done:thumbsup:

13. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I found this episode OK nice moments whith Adam and Sid even Lindsay was funny and Don was OK in this one, the smile when he saw Danny at the windows was :drool: But.... I wonder why Hawkes still works in this case I mean he is connected to the victim and the reasons Mac gave to Stella didn't convince me ....

Stella is Stella she is a kindly person when things go the way she wants them to go and if it's not she can be a real insensitive bitch I know you're gonna hate me for saying that but this is my opinion from the season 1 so I'm not gonna change my mind now in season 6 ... I remembered this case with the horse she wanted the bullet and did'nt care at all for the little girl when she wants something she'll get it even with Mac on her way.

With Adam yesterday she looked at him like if he was stupid to worry about his job :(:( not very fair with a man she is supposed to like enough to spend a night with.

I was happy to see Danny outside the lab even if I think that pick up an evidence with his cane was just out of protocol and wearing gloves and holding his cane and cell phone is not really sterile:lol::lol:

I gave a B+

14. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I guess since it was a one case episode and it was Sheldon centric, having Mac removing him from the case was not going to happen, but I thought the same.

Hate you? You're right. I don't know why I thought about Mac first, but she was like that too although time has softened her a bit. Her being like that made me hate her guts during season 1 and most of season 2. I hate ruthless!Stella, she's like a dominatrix sans whip.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm not sure they were meant to be hallucinations so much as televisual representations of what he was thinking - i would imagine that in those situations thoughts like that might happen and it's very hard to put thoughts across on tv without visualising them. i dunno, to me they seemed more symbolic than real hallucinations.

agreed, this was very much a character ep, the case was clearly taking a back seat and seemed more like a device to put hawkes' situation into a spotlight than a case in its own right. the conclusion seemed a little weird to me - this guy seemed to pop up out of nowhere and they went from realising who he was to dangling him over a fire escape in a matter of seconds, it was like they were far more keen on getting hawkes' issues out than the case. although actually i didn't mind that, i liked the character aspect of it this week, in fact i really liked it, and sometimes that has to take precedence over the case. i just hope it's not too often, i don't want a soap, thanks.

:guffaw::guffaw: that would be brilliant :D

i liked how they had adam explaining that to flack and stella as well - flack's reaction was very funny but seeing poor adam trying to explain it in stella's presence made it even funnier, assuming flack doesn't know about adam/stella.

i agree with all this really. i don't think it's ever been proved that adam has ocd, but i think it's been hinted at enough to be plausible. stella really should've been more aware of that. however, i think adam is jumping to conclusions about haylen stealing his job and maybe in that sense stella's right to tell him not to be so silly. on the other hand his job's been on the line before and no one has told him officially that haylen's *not* after his job, so it's understandable that he's jumpy. so after waffling there, i think they were both a little bit right.

yeah, i agree - this ep definitely highlighted the friendship aspect of the lab. i don't like to say familial because to me that's a negative thing! i think getting some interactions between characters who don't normally work together was great for showing this, as well as the more obvious conversations between characters who work together a lot. it was a very inclusive ep. i also agree that any anger from don (and stella and to a lesser extent mac) was more about frustration in not knowing the situation than thinking hawkes had actually done something terrible.

:lol: same here, that was really funny!

yeah i thought the same :)

true! i also thought that when hawkes and mac were at the girl's place that was full of water. i realise that telling the guy not to turn off the water was as much about safety as contamination, but after the electrics were off they just waded into the water, which considering it was all around the body seemed a little contrary to the usual sterile practices....

anyway, my own thoughts - i really liked this ep. i actually think they're hitting their stride with this season now. the first 2-3 eps were a bit off kilter somehow but the last couple i've liked more and more, including this one.

i loved that it was such a character based ep - i like the procedural stuff and the cases, but sometimes i think it's important to see more of the characters. i really liked the random character combinations too, that really worked and like someone said before it highlighted the group nature of the show - it showed them ALL getting on and working together.

i loved the bit when adam blew up the oj, that was hilarious :D

i liked hawkes' storyline and i liked that they managed to make more things in the ep back up the point of the story (ie his friend being done for embezzlement, the plot of the case etc) - it was a nice way of showing it could happen to anyone and does happen all over the place. hill did a great job, i really "got it" with hawkes' story.

i didn't know quite what to make of mac and stella's little chat - in some ways i thought stella was a bit harsh, but in others i thought she was kind of right. i thought mac took the more diplomatic approach though!

speaking of whom, i know i'm biased :rolleyes: but i thought mac was great this ep - he got the fine line between being boss and being friend absolutely spot on. the bit where he gave hawkes the keys was really sweet, it reminded me of when he offered that spare room to stella in right next door, although it interested me that he took no argument from hawkes who is clearly more subordinate than stella, whereas he let stella make her own decision. overall though i thought mac was lovely in this one, he could've been really boss like and angry and strict with hawkes over the case (especially given how he reacted to hawkes' involvement in murder sings the blues) but he managed to keep it more on the friendly side of things. plus i thought he looked great (apart from the bit where he was hanging over the fire escape:lol::lol:)

i gave it an A+, which i believe is the first one i've ever given! even though i thought the case itself was a bit half-arsed, the interactions between the characters more than made up for it. i'm aware it's a procedural show, and i don't want wholly character driven eps all the time, but if we occasionally have to sacrifice a case to get some forward movement in character stories, then i'm happy with that.