Anna/Lindsay #6: Baby on Board!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 13, 2009.

1. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

^^I agree with everything you just said:):)

Im in a picture mood so here is a picture.

[​IMG]

I loved this scene with Anna she did such a great job:)

2. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Yo, discussion overload. :lol: Yeah, it never gets old for me- I just have to squeal in delight about all our discussions. :D

To come back to the last episode- huh. That's all I can say. For me an episode where she's not in is boring. I always felt that way, especially in season 3. Or when she has a lack of screentime- boring for me. That's just my opinion, but it's the way I feel when I watch the show. I get bored when she's not having enough screentime. :lol: So let's hope we'll get loads of screentime for her in the next episode.

Well, as DL shipper I'm not that into season 4 at all... but I agree, she had some very good scenes and episodes in it. Happily Ever After for example with the dog. That was so adorable! Or Admission. I love her in Admission! I love how she talked to Gerrard's daughter and she handled it so well. And how angry she got at those guys. Fantastic episode for her, really. Also the starfish (yay, didn't call it 'seastar' this time :lol: ) autopsy where she was all excited about them having two stomachs...:lol: Cute! Okay, I think if we made a list of awesome moments, it would be like a whole fic chapter I bet. :lol:

:lol: Go right ahead, I think that's why it is a discussion thread.

If you're ashamed then what should I be? I didn't see anything of that episode yet, not even a single second! :lol: Then again I have the excuse that I'm from Germany, and I have to wait a whole year... *sighs* But like I said...possibly would have been bored anyways. At least I heard Danny got some nice scenes. But because this is the Anna thread, back on topic.

About the interview, I need to still watch it, so will reply to that later. Thanks for posting it! The points of it you discussed sounded really good and interesting to me. I so need to hear it now! :lol: There aren't too many interviews of her, but the ones I got to see I really loved.

To come back to The Handler, I still don't know if that was her dancing, but I so wish we knew!!! I hope there is someone out there who can tell us. :lol:

Absolutely! I love to hear that as well. So need to hear the interview...

:lol: It's fascinating, huh? Mine always does that whenever I get to see her somewhere. Is it a surprise she made it to the top of my favourite actresses list? I love her even more than Jodie Foster, and that means something. :p But really, I love the way she adds so much to the character. Didn't she also say something like that when she had to film the courtroom scene? Which in my eyes she was amazing in! I really wanted to reach through the screen and hug her. I showed a video to a friend of me who doesn't speak English and even though she didn't understand a word of what she said she was affected by the video. She portrayed the emotions so well!

Aww, poor you. *hugs* But it'll be amazing, you'll love it I think.

Absolutely! A wonderful scene. Thanks for posting the cap!

3. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I loved season 2 Lindsay she was awsome!!! I wish they would bring some of season 2 Lindsay back:(:(I loved season 3 but thats because Im a D/L shipper and that was a great season for us. The only thing I did not like was when she left. I like the first part of season 4 then not so much. Season 5 I liked it we got to see some of Lindsay's recunstructions again which is always great to see.

4. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I'm still about to scream over it. Or protest :p I do get it if they're having budget issues, but I just think there could be better ways to handle it.

That's just what happened with me, I got bored after twenty minutes of no Lindsay (or Sid). The thing is, it's not that I critically need Lindsay to be in an episode for it to be worth watching for me -- I mean, she wasn't in "Point of No Return", and ten minutes into that episode you couldn't have paid me to switch the channel. But in episodes where the cases or whatnot aren't always the greatest, she always makes it worthwhile just by being there, because I find her very fun to watch. Which by default makes the episode fun to watch, even if the case is the most boring thing on earth (*cough* Greater Good *cough*...sorry guys, I could barely stand that ep :p:lol:).

So yes! I'm hoping for more screentime for her, too.

Oh, Admissions! That was another great one I liked (although it was also the one really creepy case in S4 for me). And while I don't feel they did nearly as much with "Boo" as they could have, I still love that episode a lot because it was just so...her :lol: I can't explain it, except that I seriously can't picture the Amityville section of that episode working if anyone else had been leading the case. Haunted houses and whatnot; I laughed when that police officer got all skeptical about the old lady she'd seen in the house, because it would have been very her to let all the stories she'd heard about the Amityville Horror influence her.

And while I have to say I did like "Right Next Door" because I found the reasons for that fight very interesting (and surprisingly believable), I'm definitely not a fan of all the drama at the end of Season 4...I like Season 4 mostly for the beginning (up to and possibly including "Playing with Matches"), because before everything descended into DL drama, Lindsay really seemed to be coming into her own as a member of the team -- and I found that so much fun to watch, and was so unbelievably pissed when all that went away. Like, she was peppy like in S2, but so much looser and more easy-going around the others on the team in that peppiness (and it made the others -- well, Stella, Hawkes, slightly Mac -- respond to her even more warmly than before, I think). She was making the conscious effort to reach out -- asking Stella about Drew, getting concerned over that drama, stepping in to help her in "Thing about Heroes" without Stella asking, just because she noticed that Stella was getting frustrated...and her interactions with Hawkes (both in "Can you Hear Me Now?" and "Happily Never After") were just really smooth, like they were becoming honest friends who could just read each other. Even the moment in "The Deep" with Danny, I liked it because I couldn't have pictured Lindsay ever really admitting to Danny himself (or anyone else) when she was worried about him, not at that stage, so I thought it was a cool step forward. That's what I liked a lot about Season 4.

I know, right? (About how she doesn't do many interviews; although I keep finding random ones she's done before whenever I Google her, so maybe it's just that her interviews are all over the place?) I respect her a lot for wanting to keep her life private, but still, I wish she'd do more.

As for the Handler, I'm taking the search into RL (as in, looking through DVD stores and stuff -- because it's a huge headache looking for it online, the most random things keep coming up). But I know it has been made into DVD, because I saw that much online, so it has to be somewhere.

:lol::lol: It's weird; this is the first time I've actively been in a TV, or even movie fandom before (where my interpretation of the character pretty much has to depend on how someone else is portraying her; it's so different from book-fandoms), so I keep finding myself trying to separate the actors from the characters in my head. But I have a lot of admiration for anyone who could make me like a character as much as I like Lindsay, completely independent from written words on a page -- and yeah, finding out that she's purposely been portraying Lindsay with the exact things that I love about her? Huge admiration. I honestly think I'd dislike Lindsay a lot as a character if she'd been solely portrayed the way she seems to have been written in Season 2 (and in many other parts of the series too, to be honest). It's pretty much AB that makes me like her.

Lol, I'm getting closer :D I'm about five episodes away from the finale!

I was actually iffy on how much I liked Season 5 for Lindsay before (it really is different watching the season as it's airing, when you don't know what's going to happen :lol:); but rewatching it the past few weeks has made me feel really differently, because she had a good chunk of fun and interesting character moments, and it's nice to get a refresher on them. I love Season 2 Lindsay (well, now -- I admit the first times I saw her on TV she just bugged me :alienblush:) too, because she was like the way she was at the beginning of S4; only much harder, more aloof and holding people at a distance. And it was a really cool paradox for me because you also saw her as this strangely-peppy, cheerful, could-be-on-caffeine-pills girl that everyone apparently adored...second admission -- that's the part of her I hated at first; but the aloof part of her made me warm to that second part. Because it made me wonder why she was that damaged, and if she was, why wouldn't she just act like it all the time, rather than try to convince everyone around her that she didn't have a problem in the world?

Ack, I rambled. Okay, I'm done :p

5. Isla

Isla Prime Suspect

So, no Lindsay in the last episode, that´s just :scream: They at least should have mentioned where she was.
    I don´t know if we already talked about that, but in 2005 she also was in the movie Alchemy. It´s a quite funny movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny9bGFhq8W0
    Yep, there were two episodes but in the second one she only was there for like two minutes, I think. She agreed with to be extradited to the country of the dictator she murdered.
    My favourite seasons regarding Lindsay were season 2 and 3. Lindsay was more of a detective than a lab tech what I liked. In season 4 and 5 she was too much in the lab for me.
    I think there also were the most interesting cases and the strongest motives for murder so far. I especially liked the case of the woman who pretened to be murdered by the drug addicted doctor. Lindsay could work a lot on her own and I liked the Mac/Lindsay interaction in that episode.
    And especially in season 2 there were some good Lindsay/Stella moments. I sometimes whish they would bring the two-cases- episodes back. Not in every episode but just for a little diversity. They worked quite well and I generally didn´t have the feeling that they didn´t do justice to each case. And there would be a chance that Lindsay could lead a case on her own again.

Edit: And thanks for the podcast, Maya. It´s great to hear/ read interviews of her, especially since there are not many. She should convince Kellie Williams to guest star in one episode of CSI NY. It would be great to see them interact again after MI.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: I omg that clip was so funny thanks for that. I thought she was so cute and funny!!!!!

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yeah, that's a good point -- in none of the episodes where the characters have gone missing lately, has anyone even brought up their name. Argh! I'd think that'd just make sense, you know, to acknowledge that they exist.

Aww...(lol, that was pretty cute :lol:); I've actually seen that movie in Blockbuster here, and I've been told about it before. Hm, rent or not rent?:p She really is good with the comedy.

It's strange; while I'd hate to see her relegated only to the lab, I don't so much mind her there -- because she brings her own touch to the lab gimmicks (and it brings funny Adam/Lindsay dialogue :D). But I thought she had plenty of field moments throughout season 4. Although I don't think it was the same as in Season 2, where she was in the field every episode that we saw her in. Which is something I kind of wish they'd go back to, but on the other hand I don't want to see them completely abandon her place in the lab...

That's definitely true -- there are so many reasons they need to return to that two-case dynamic they used to have in the earlier seasons, and a chance for everyone (and especially Lindsay :lol:) to shine is one of them! And the cases were much more interesting back in Seasons 2 and 3; like with the Shane Casey, and the party-subway case, and even Fare Game, where they introduced the weirdest things that people in New York were into (and Lindsay seemed interested in them all :p). They haven't done anything that quirky in a while; I think the doll thing in "Sex, lies, Silicone" is the closest they've come recently. And even that, funny as it was, seemed comparably tame.

And yeah, Mac/Lindsay dynamic was really enjoyable in those episodes because it was still at the teacher/overeager-student level. Not that I'm not glad that he seems to have learned to see her on a more equal level, and I guess she's technically not the "student" he has to teach anymore (that would probably be Haylen); but I wish they wouldn't completely get rid of that.

Weirdest thing -- I saw Kellie Williams in that new TV show "Lie to Me" and could not stop watching, just because of her MI role :lol::lol: But in all fairness, it really is a good show. I would totally get behind seeing her as a guest star on NY; I wonder how she and Anna would play off of each other as costars again.

8. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

:):) I like that show. I think she does a good job as Foster.
    MI was a good show I miss it, but if that had not ended then Anna would not be on Csi Ny so I think it all work out for the better:)
    I would love to see Kellie Williams on Csi Ny with Anna that would be really cool to see. I would also like to see Christopher Gorham he was also on MI and Harppers Island he and Anna had good chem on MI.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Oh my gosh, yes! :lol: I knew I couldn't have been the only one that saw it. Miles (Chris Gorham) and Eva had amazing chemistry, and it felt so much like the writers were trying to set something up with them toward the series' end. It's really strange, because they would've made the oddest couple (lol, he was really naive sometimes, she was pretty cynical); but their interactions were so cute I think I could easily have gotten behind it.

10. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

No Im sure were not the only ones who thought that Eva and Miles had good chemistry. If the show was still going I wonder if they would have gotten together. I think Anna just has good chemistry with the people she work with which is a really good thing.

Im sad that MI is not on the air anymore, but I love Anna as Lindsay so I think everything worked out good:)

11. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I really think they were supposed to hook up, Eva and Miles -- I haven't gotten to the end of the series yet (as far as watching whole episodes goes), but I remember seeing a clip from one of the later eps where she and Miles were working together on a case, and the interaction between them really made it out as though Miles had a crush on her. (And now I absolutely have to go watch that episode, because it's otherwise going to bug me nonstop thinking about whether I'm remembering the scene right or not :lol: This is precisely why I should not be up at this hour. *facepalm*)

Oh definitely, I don't think I'd trade more seasons of MI for Lindsay being gone from NY :p I just...wish so badly the CSI:NY writers would take some serious pointers from the MI ones! Especially regarding the dynamics Eva had with people and her various coworkers, vs. the ones Lindsay has (or in other words, Lindsay being kind of a Mary Sue, Eva being much more realistic). Anna Belknap is capable of so much more complex interactions than the ones they give her with any character other than Danny.

12. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Okay, I won't repeat myself. Just...whoa!

Yeah, there were even more than one in the season, right? So far we got at least one a season (great continuity!), but in season 5 she did a couple of demonstrations. That's so her Lindsay Thing!

Didn't see it yet, but I think it's also about the case (and I heard this one wasn't so good?), but a mention of her would be really nice. She just adds something special to the episodes. I don't even know how to call it. :lol: How about 'Lindsay Awesomeness'? ;)

Case? What case? I think I had a squee overdose. :guffaw: Sorry, just had to say that now. But I agree, there were some boring cases in some episodes, but somehow when she appeared on screen, it was getting much better because either she had a story to tell (like that fairytale) or she does a demonstration! And you learn a lot from them, too- I didn't know condom spray was invented by Germans. (Which makes me wonder why in the dubbed German version she didn't even say that...:wtf:).

Yep, my shipper reasons for disliking it aside, I agree, that was another reason. At the beginning she was going back to the way she was in season 2, which was wonderful to see after the angst she got in season 3. So I don't really get why all that unnecessary drama had to be thrown in and then had to go totally over the top...but that belongs in other threads I think. Anyway, my point is, I enjoyed the way she was in early season 4, and the way she interacted with everyone was very great. She also had many fun scenes. And she had one of the very few scenes with Angell. Which pisses me off, because I wish we had gotten to see them interact more often. She had some cool demonstrations. She had some very good episodes. And she even got to pull her gun in Boo. ;)

My thoughts exactly. That's what I said a while back I think. Like in Cool Hunter. She seems to be interested in stuff like that.

Yes! It's her interpretion of the character I love.

Yes! I want her to be out in the field more often again. I'm happy we got to see that again in episode 604. I think the balance we got to see in season 2 and 3 is nice. I mean, she is no lab tech, so she also shouldn't be at the lab all day.

My words exactly! I think two case episodes or even three case episodes would be the perfect way for the whole team to shine. Everyone could work together with everyone here and there. And my wish still is that Lindsay gets to lead a case again. Like I said before, Danny got to lead a case, Hawkes got one, Aiden got one, now Lindsay got one in Dancing With Th Fishes, but that was linked to Mac's and Stella's case. I know she'd rock! I hope she gets to lead a case. And can tell the others what to do then. ;)

So agree with you, they had an interesting and cute chemistry. I really wonder how they would have continued that- would they have brought them together, or let them start something or so? That's an interesting thing to discuss actually... Oh yummy. Great, now you but some thoughts into my mind. LOL

So I think this post might be pretty long, and it would be even longer, but I think that's enough for now. :lol: I already wrote it in an email to make sure it won't get deleted right when I want to post...

13. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I remeber that case, ya I thought he might have a crush on her, but who would not have a crush on Eva she's awsome. Lol have fun watching the episode:) I will find it later right now. Im bond abd determined to find somwhere to get the Handler.

Same I would not trade more seasons of MI instead of Anna playing Lindsay. Yes i so agree about the writers they need to have Lindsay be alittle more Dynamic with the other characters. Anna is so talented and the writers should take advantage of that, they should give her a storyline that has nothing to do with Danny(not that I dont love me a D/L storyline). I just would love to see Lindsay get the storyline other then Mac or Stell.

14. csinynut

csinynut Hit and Run

Hi guys,

Can somebody explain to me this whole "Mary Sue" thing ? Being french Canadian i have no concept or reference to understand this. I mean i can make a few guesses. I've seen it apply to Lindsay and more recently to the new girl. But i don't see any links.

Speaking of "Lindsay awsomeness", i just watched Stealing Home. I had seen it a few times and liked it but the case about the threesome always bugged me. I always felt it took away from the Lindsay part of the story. I watched it again, trying not to pay attention to the other case. I have to say that the emotion that come thru, watching this case and Lindsay is one of immense sadness. I think Anna Belknapp in that episode achieves the perfect balance between determination and almost overwhelming regret. Her performance is really subtle and understated, and you really have to watch intently to appreciate all the nuances. It's done so quietly.

The scene with the father, after he just identified his daughter's body is really gut wrenching. You can almost see in Lindsay's eyes, that she realises that in other circumstances it could have been her. Of course the victim being from Montana, it's not a giant leap to make to assume that Lindsay would identify with her, but still it was done beautifully.

The scene with Mac at the end, where he says that you can't have all the answers all the time, and Lindsay says it's not enough for me gave me an insight into this character 's motivations to be what she is. Truly a great performance.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Mary Sue is a female character (in books/movies/TV/whatevs) who's basically perfect -- pretty, smart, tough, endearing, perky, cool -- and moreover, everyone else thinks she's pretty/smart/tough/endearing/cool, she has zero flaws, everyone on the show loves her, people in the audience generally want to kill her :p In a fanfiction, she'd usually be the author's self-insert -- but in "professional" mediums (like TV shows or published books) she's generally put there so the author/show-writers/producers/etc can show everyone how awesome and perfect she is.

Ugh, yeah, I'm really calling "Mary Sue" on Haylen; only she's a little egotistical, which actually makes me like her because it's a flaw, and one that could turn out to be very interesting.

But the first episodes I saw Lindsay in, I pretty much wanted to strangle her the whole time because she was so a Mary-Sue, too. Still is, really -- everyone on the team pretty much loves her, she's fairly awesome, she's never been yelled at (for something that's her fault), she often breaks the case, whenever she makes mistakes people on the show brush over it or forgive her easily. *gag* Wow, It really is Anna Belknap that made me like the character at all :lol:, because it became obvious she was a little too aloof and damaged to really be that perky or easy with people. And then of course they started writing in serious flaws for her :D So when I saw her flaws and sympathized with them, it made me like her; and then by default appreciate the Lindsay awesomeness a lot more.

And "Stealing Home" is easily in my top-five favourite episodes.

:lol: Oh, she has a few of those "Lindsay Things", imo (the weird demonstrations, her fascination with myths and the unrealistic), which have been fairly continuous. I just wish they'd follow up on those things! :scream: I'm remembering about three demonstrations from Season 5 (a tiny one in "Veritas", the one in "Forbidden Fruit", I think there might've been one in "Rush to Judgment"...). And then a couple in Season 4. We still have to see one this season!

Lindsay Awesomeness works (I'm so coining that term, btw :p). I mean, I generally prefer it when they give her character-specific moments in the episodes (and more preferably with someone else, someone she's not dating/married to), but I don't know, she's usually just cool just by being there. And then makes the episode cool.

Okay, I didn't know condom spray existed :lol: Nor did I know about beans that existed which could change your taste buds (and notice how it's usually her who's bringing up the things that other characters didn't know existed?), or that myth for that flower that she talked about in "What Schemes May Come" (when she comes in rattling off the story with the little girl who cried tears of blood). She just makes discovering new things from this show so fun -- it's why I think she had to have been a teacher (or at least a tutor) at some point in her life, because seriously. I know more than a few teachers who could easily take pointers. :p And in episodes that are already a little on the dull side (like, with the exception of the Flack section when Sam was introduced, I was pretty bored by "Veritas"), it makes them so much better. We need another demonstration, ay-sap!

See, I don't think I'd have minded the S4 drama even a tenth as much if it wasn't the only thing we got to hear about for the entire last part of Season 4 (except for Mac's growing anger about the Cabbie Killer, which wasn't much fun either). As far as angsty nonsensical drama went, it was well played. I could easily see both sides and sympathize with both...I just don't understand why Lindsay had to completely lose all the progress she'd made in forming other personal connections at the beginning of S4, simply because things were going to hell with Danny. (Or for that matter, why Danny's grief suddenly paled in comparison to the DL drama.) Characteristically, yeah, it made sense (I find it a little eerie how dependent on him she is to feel happy), but it could have worked just as easily if tptb had shown her trying to lean on one of the other characters. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Actually, I think that's why the Mac/Lindsay moment from "LWFM" is very much my favourite of theirs; because it's the closest they came to showing that. Only with Lindsay's characteristic leave-me-alone-I'm-fine thing, and Mac being all about the job, it's so natural that it just didn't work out :lol: If they'd done it with another character aside from Mac; like Hawkes (who already seemed to know a little about it, and gotten close to Lindsay about it -- how else would he know to say "sorry" when she mentioned she hadn't heard "Montana" in a while? ;) Which was another very cute and favourite interaction of theirs, btw, the implications of "Montana" notwithstanding); I think I could have felt better about the whole thing.

I'm really fond of that pairing now :D Well, I haven't seen the episode yet, and Eva kind of treats Miles like a kid (in the episode I'm at right now, and the ones before), but I think she really cares about him, as a friend at least. And I still swear he has a crush on her. Seriously, why did this show end?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009