Grade "Battle Scars"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 21, 2009.

?

How would you grade Battle Scars?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. A

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. B

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New episode of CSI: NY tonight! Watch it and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Case started off strong, I like the initial POV of one of the victims and the fact that someone survived the crime! It seems to my compared to Vegas, NY does not tend to let a lot of their victims become survivors. I mean they have in the past, Season 1 had a couple (e.g. the Central Park rape victim --Robin) but I can't remember the last time they did that.

Stella and Don get stuck doing floor checks again, in a strange building with a 13th floor, but Stella's insinuation bugged me. If I saw a murder scene with a pile of money I probably would think robbery... At least until I could figure out where the cash came from! I guess that's why Stella's a CSI not me. All the same, they had me from the get go. I LIKE actually not being able to tell exactly where this is heading by the end of the setup. Go figure.

It also makes me laugh that CSIs throw around industry terminology for just about everything. Like they're an expert in all of the most random crap, which to some degree I'm sure they are but this is kind of like "curvature of the lettuce" from the last ep. "Metal housing" and "privacy chain" just sounded like SUCH a stilted line, but I accept it coming from Captain Serious Face, and just hope if the line had gone to a more casual character they might have said something like "the metal part of the chain lock." Just slightly candid sounding, no?

They also end up saying the prize money is the only motive but shamelessly blew their own cover on that with the lengthy cut of the prize winner Jesse mackin' his girl. Obvious setup is obvious.

Their other obvious setup is Stella's massive skepticism of Nick 'Cool' Emerson. I won't get into the originality trouble with his nickname, but the scene between him and Stella outright pointed to his further involvement a little too hard for me. The other major issue I took with this scene was that they delivered the potential suspect to the victims room. Is that really standard practice? Of course he'd open his mouth! That's why line ups eliminate communication between the vic and the suspects! Wouldn't Flack have just brought in a mugshot? wtf?

Mac and Don stand out like sore thumbs at the dance competition and the prime suspect only walked away with the prize for biggest douche in the room. I think I laughed out loud when he said "if I wanna kill anybody I'll do it in the ring." *SNORT* I'm sure that will fly in real life! I can just picture him trying to bust a move while some brute busts a cap in his ass.

Adam is BACK and trying to get a rise out of Danny immediately! I love that humor is constantly Adam's primary defense mechanism. AJ has really run with that and turned it into a dynamic aspect of Adam's personality. Mean while Danny with a cane looks like he's auditioning for the office production of House MD. Adam even has another winning line and I for one might start referring to him as Adam Ross.edu! :D It's too bad the poor guy is always playing to a deaf audience. On the other hand their lack of enthusiasm for his particular brand of humor probably only makes me love it more.

Unfortunately, I was sad to see the only one they allowed to address Danny's progress was Adam. On one hand, it's good that it didn't go completely unmentioned, but with the way he's so miraculously recovering I'd think more than one in five friends would feel the need to comment on it. If only to give him a pat on the back or something.

Is it just me or does Hawkes do a LOT of the lab work lately? Adam too obviously, but it seems like the lead player in most of the technical montages lately has been Hawkes. Speaking of Sheldon he's looking freshly pressed tonight, new shirt, slightly bigger hairstyle --I'm lovin' it!

Danny and Don prove once again that they are still the Dynamic Duo they always are when they team up in interrogation! Danny gets a genuine chuckle out of his pal, despite how sullen he's been lately and despite the objection from that scummy perp, they ARE funny! You can't beat these two doing interrogations together --the scenes have such momentum and tension and it's not let down on the part of their scene partner either. I don't know the actor's name but he sure as hell held his own making the whole scene that much more gripping. And this is what I've been talking about when I've been bitching lately about a crook I can believe in! He's an asshole from the get go, and he's not afraid to ride these cop's last nerve a little either. Awesome.

During the later elaboration in flashback of the first robbery Jesse and Brooke went through (the real one) I was actually surprised and slightly disturbed by the explicitness of that rape scene without being too graphic. That was pretty intense for primetime, and this show in general. It got a really strong point across with the girl having to be stripped down to her underwear for the camera. It made my stomach turn, and assuming it was supposed to, job well done.

Mac plays with firearms to test their strange red ammunition and these scenes that showcase Mac's slightly unnerving weapons proficiency always make me smile. It's one of my favorite things about Mac and probably because they don't abuse it ad nauseum.

The case concludes without being too surprising, but that's not at all to say it's a let down! By the time we get to the unraveling it feels like a natural progression to the conclusion and in cases like this I appreciate logical conclusions a lot more than unnecessary twists and turns only thrown in there for shock and awe. Those kinds of sudden and unforeseen changes they've been known to throw in the plot mean we can't always pin the ending down, but doesn't mean it's a good writing device. I have to applaud them for avoiding that.

Overall this felt like a professionally delivered episode. Writing and editing allotted screen time really well across the board, and scenes always felt justified and supported by, or supporting of, the overall story. I hate to say it but it actually served to remind me how superfluous two more characters are to this dream team. Maybe this season is picking up? Please?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Well, Adam did come back - but Lindsey I guess was at home with the baby the entire episode or something. And where was Sid? Hawkes did all the explaining about cause of death and what not so Sid got left out again.

The case was okay, not the most interesting of cases ever but it was decent. Nice they wrapped up that robbery as well.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I thought this was a really good episode overall, and it had some great character interaction.

Adam's complete and total awesomeness (and adorableness) served to remind me how much I am not warming up to Haylen. His scene with Danny was nice, and every other scene he had was just as good. :lol: I love Adam! :adore:

Sheldon is awesome - I love when he and Mac work together. I like their comfort level and the clear respect between them. (Plus, he's just so damn pretty.)

Flack was great as usual - nothing specifically mentioned his ongoing storyline, but as a regular viewer I could still tell all is not well in the land of Flack. I'm looking forward to seeing his story arc revisited in later episodes - but at least we did get a quick mention of the Compass Killer (and LOL at Adam finding a quiz on Facebook).

The Flack and Danny scene(s) were a very welcome surprise after so many episodes without them interacting - I love those two! All of the interactions in this episode were great, but I was happiest to see that one. :D

Speaking of Danny - way too soon with the cane, but wasn't he comfortable standing and holding Lucy last week? Meh, whatever - they totally rushed the storyline, but I'm glad he's not walking ~normally~ just yet. The longer they draw out the story, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't even realize Lindsay wasn't there until someone pointed it out to me. I expected her to be the one to walk up to Danny at the beginning (since almost all of their scenes have been together recently), but then I saw Adam and forgot. Oh well, I'm not going to complain. And everybody else was so great with each other! For my part, it was nice to have a Lindsay-free episode without maternity leave being involved, although I am curious about why Anna wasn't there. *shrug* Oh well...

Anyway, the case was interesting, and the little moments with Stella and the woman were nice. It was good to see the dancing featured in several scenes - we don't get to see stuff like that on the show very often. The end was sad, when the truth came out. :( The final scene between Stella and the woman was really nice - and I was so glad to see that b*stard get his in the end. I was also glad that Danny and Flack were there when they got him. It was a nice bit of continuity after their interrogation scene earlier.

Overall, a very good episode, and everybody involved did a great job. I demand more episodes like this! :D

ETA: I didn't realize Sid wasn't there, ~Sarah~. :( I wonder if they're leaving main characters out of episodes this season for budgetary reasons (I think they do something similar on Numb3rs, but I'm not sure)? Or maybe they were filming multiple episodes at once and left characters out of certain ones? I'm curious.

Needs moar Sid! :(

5. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

I keep saying this every week, but this was the best episode so far. A+!

Everyone was on their A game for once! Like Faylinn said, I can tell Flack still isn't back to normal, but unlike just about every other emotional storyline on NY, it's very, very subtly done. Nice to see him working with Danny and Stella again. They're two of the best friendships on the show, and it's obvious how well they work together.

Glad to see Danny is using his cane, instead of going from wheelchair to marathon. When he first came on screen, all I could think of was 'Holy crap, it's House!!' Not a lot of screen time for him, but that's to be expected since he's more or less restricted to the lab. Someone said (I believe on the Spoiler thread) that everyone in the lab would slowly start clapping when Danny walked into the lab. Seriously glad that didn't happen. Adam was the only one to actually mention it, and did it in typical Adam style.

Adam Ross.edu!! Loved it, totally an Adam thing. Excellent as always, don't change a thing.

Not really liking Hawkes hair. He's better with shorter hair, IMO, like he had in seasons 1 and 2. Other than that, loved him. His scenes with Mac are awesome, there's a nice rapport between them. Mac is a father figure to Danny, Lindsay, and Adam, but with Stella, Flack, and Hawkes it's more of a mutual respect/friendship.

As usual, Stella was amazing. Was a little surprised they didn't actually do a flashback to 'All Access'. Melina completely sold Stella's reaction to Brooke and her plight, but subtle isn't exactly TPTB's strong point. They tend to shove things in the audiences face, so this was surprising. Kinda disappointed when it was Mac and Flack who went to the dance arena instead of Flack and Stella.

Flack, watching dancers: Hey Stell, you were a dancer right?
    Stella, confused: Yeah, I was. Why?
    Flack: Go on up there, give it a shot.
    Stella, looking at Flack like he's lost his mind: Sure, right after you do.

Indifferent about the lack of Haylen, didn't really notice Lindsay wasn't there but after all the screen time D/L got in the first four eps, the change is nice.

Again, where was Sid? This is the second epi he missed. Is something going on with Robert (side project, down time perhaps?) or something else?

As for the plot, loved it. It's not a serial killer, it's not someone after Mac, it's not even a bad guy. It's just a bad idea gone wrong. A delightful change in a so far dark season.

The compass killer mention was good, especially Adam finding a quiz on Facebook, but I was glad Stella stopped Mac before he got all high and mighty about finding the killer.

That's all for now, I'll probably think of more to say later. ;)

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I did get the feeling some people wouldn't be happy with Danny walking so fast, but I do agree that it's better than the warp speed they usually go at.

The ep overall was pretty good though.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

this ep was better than all of the other eps so far. But once again we had weirdness with some team members being MIA. :lol:

Groovy music while Hawkes was processing the powder.

"I thought this kind of dancing went out with Mrs. Pac-Man and the Rubix cube." :lol:

Haha the CBS cares video with Melina where she's wearing a black and red shirt... that shirt instantly made me think of the Star Trek uniform. :lol:

the guy at the hospital with the girl looks familiar... well the guy that ended up being the shooter. I can't place him though. Anyone know who he is?

They should have gagged the suspect before bringing him into the room. :lol:

:guffaw: AdamRoss.edu :lol: He's so adorable!

So it was all an accident cause the vic wanted to be his girl's hero? Wow... didn't see that one coming. I kind of figured the guy in the hospital room would end up being the shooter, but totally didn't see the accident route coming.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Bryce Johnson. I think I remember him from "Popular" waaaay back in the day. :lol:

9. Mightion

Mightion Hit and Run

Back in a New York groove...

Boy, has it been a while...

Long story short, due to an unforeseen change of TV service in my house during season 4, I had fallen out of the practice of watching CSI:NY. After watching seasons 4 and 5 on DVD, and catching up on season six thanks to CBS.com and youtube, tonight was the first time in years that I watched CSI:NY without it being on a DVD... so...

1. Boy, great to see Danny walking around so well! Yeah, it's a bit "quickly", as other S6 reviews have said, but I'm proud of him.

2. Aww... no mention or sign of Lindsay tonight. This does not please me, and the reason I didn't give it an A+.

3. I'll give the writer's credit... even with all the "signs"... it didn't occur to me that it was a case of a staged event gone bad.

4. I liked how they nailed Al for his robbery/assault at the end. Was nice to give the victim that small bit of justice. (I forgot her name already)

5. And it figures that I get all caught up... and next week is a rerun.

I'm glad to be "back", though. :)

10. symbeline

symbeline Witness

An OK episode, I gave it a B-

- I love Stella and Flack doing detective work together, they are really funny.

- Danny's already walking. Oh well, can't say I didn't see this coming. I still hate it though. Anyone care to explain to me why was he put in a wheelchair in the first place? What a incredible WASTE of Carmine's potential. And now that he's going to be chasing suspects next week, could he please shave? I'm sure he can reach the sink now.

- Wasn't Stella a dancer? Then why was she surprised of Jesse's injuries? I can't believe she didn't hear of street dancing before and the type of injuries related to this practice. I'm not a dancer and I know.

- LOL at Adam and the Facebook poll. I'm betting he took it. But just for research. :lol:

- The dancing scenes were a bit too long for my taste. I'm tired of seeing street dancers, so maybe I'm biased.

- No sarcastic retorts from Flack when he was interviewing the dancer. Man, he's really not okay.

- Nick is my no.1 suspect, specially since he's questioning Stella about procedure and memory loss. :rolleyes:

- LOL at Hawkes' incredibly fug shirt.

- Adam is so cute, and so funny. Why was he MIA from last week's episode? He's really missed when he's not in. Although I don't care for Haylen, I wouldn't mind her presence if it doesn't affect Adam. Now that Danny's not only doing lab work, there's place for Haylen and Adam in the lab at the same time. Please, no more "it's Haylen or Adam, you choose" episodes.

- We finally got Danny/Flack, but everything seems back at normal, as if nothing had happened. Bummer. :(

- OMG call Horatio Caine! Antonio Riaz is back from the dead! :lol::lol::lol:

- Mac is physic or what? How many times I've heard him said "something is wrong/off" this season? Whatever happened to "follow the evidence, not your hunches"?

- Oh wait, it's Nick again, Why I'm not surprised? :lol:

- Another Flack scene without his usual sarcastic retort. He's beginning to worry me. I'm not sure if it's a conscious choice or just a coincidence. If it's a choice, I'm glad they are subtly reminding us that Flack is still healing. Now, could they please give us a real Danny/Flack scene? When they were interrogating Santiago, it seemed like Flack was trying to gauge Danny's mood, when it should be the other way round. Yeah, I know that's how they work, but I can't believe Danny isn't going to ask Flack how's he really doing, like Mac did last week.

- Ok, I was probably wrong, this is too easy and there's still 10 minutes left. Maybe Nick is not the killer? Is he protecting somebody, like Brooke? Could she be the killer?

- Where is Lindsay? Not that I miss her, but it's strange that she wasn't at least mentioned. Sadly, Sid's absence it's not that strange. I miss him. I wouldn't mind more Lindsay-free episodes. :D

- The episode starter strong, dragged a little in the middle and ended well. An OK episode, overall.

11. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

B for me.

I get it, street dancers are cool and can do cool things. Did they really need to waste so much time showing it? Oh, I see, they needed something to fill some two minutes of the show. How about developing some personal storyline? Flack? Danny, maybe?

I didn't miss Lindsay or Haylen. I think the show could do great without any of them, although Lindsay has lost her Miss Obnoxious crown this season and now Haylen is the one to wear it proudly. I missed Sid, I need his jokes and weird stories!

I loved Stella in this episode. You could tell she related to Brooke, but it wasn't too obvious. She made no mention of her being assaulted and almost killed, but you could feel it was there in her mind.

I love Adam! If his thing with Stella was just a one night stand, is he free? Can I have him?

Super!Mac is pissed off because of the evil Compass Killer. Glad Stella was there to stop his little rant. Lol at the Facebook poll, why didn't I see that one?

Sheldon looked kinda weird to me. Me no likey. I like Flack looks this season minus the unshaven look in 6x03. It was also great to see he beaming when he arrested the bad guy in the final scene.

I liked the case, although seeing Nick at the hospital room immediately made me think about "No Good Deed", where the perp is also by the vic's hospital bed. I thought they wouldn't do exactly the same thing twice, but I was wrong. Too bad, the case had started being interesting.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'll have to be quick as i'm going away in an hour and still have chores to do (naturally watching this was far more important!) - no doubt i'll elaborate when i get back on sun.

anyway, i really liked it, to me for some reason it seemed like an "old" episode - i've liked this season so far but for some reason all the eps up to now have felt like they were trying to do something slightly different with the show and not quite getting it, this felt far more like the eps from the past, i thought it could've slotted quite neatly into season 3 (or 2 or 4!) in terms of the case, the way it panned out and the teamwork. i really liked that about it. not that i don't like the new stuff, i do, and it would be ridiculous if the show never moved forward, it's just that sometimes it's nice to see a return to something more familiar.

anyway, in brief, bits i liked were:

"adam found a quiz on facebook..." - that was great, it was really funny :)

adam's little song greeted by lots of eye rolling from mac, stella and hawkes

mac's line about ms pacman and rubik's cubes - i love it when mac tries to show how down with the kids he is :D

the interrogation of alice :)

adam & danny's little conversation about door number 1 being closer - although i was a bit annoyed to see danny walking so quickly, it was nice to see that adam's not taking him too seriously.

oh and it was lovely to see flack smiling again - i'm sure it won't last but it was lovely :D

i gave it an A, i think it was my favourite so far actually, either that or the compass killer one.

13. csiny_65

csiny_65 Dead on Arrival

Wondering what is up with the 'leave out a character' switching?

Adam was not around last week, this week, LIndsay nor Sid?

Yet they hire a new person?Why?

I guess I am still not 'feeling it' with the new season, and I still find myself wishing for the great ones I love from 1-5...

and to me, it seems as if there is a lot more lab, not 'out here in the fields', and the mysteries and crimesolving have me going 'huh' a lot....

like a little too easily solved and explained?

I mean, hip hop, qtips??

I give it a B. It is stil lmy fave shwo on tv, I just long for the olden days, perhaps....

and so far for me personally, this new bunch has not yet lived up to the great ones from back then...

14. Bogart

Bogart Victim

I thought it was pretty good, gave it a B+.

I loved that it wasn't your typical murder, someone wasn't stalking the rich and bee-ootiful peoples of NY, as has been fairly typical on NY for the past several seasons. These are good people who you can identify with somewhat, and care about... even the "accidental killer". As someone mentioned above, it was simply a bad idea gone drastically wrong. After seeing the (very disturbing) robbery/rape scene, it was easy for me to make the leap that the dancer boyfriend wanted to be a Hero to his girlfriend, even if it meant staging a robbery. Dumb, yes. Unrealistic, no. His ego was involved, and he felt like he failed her miserably; even though there wasn't much he could do, faced with an armed assailant. That whole thing was horrifying and degrading for her, and emasculating for him.

Glad they mentioned the Compass Killer, for continuity. Loved Adam's humor :lol: I wasn't surprised that he was the one to give Danny some gentle ribbing. Loved the scenes with Mac/Hawkes, I always enjoy their chemistry. But I missed Sid... :(

15. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Wasn't he on CSI Vegas a year or two ago as well?