"Coup de Grace" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 10, 2009.

1. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

I understand what you are saying, but there is a certain way to go about it. Snapping on your boss at a crime scene (or anywhere else for that matter) is completely inappropriate. Making a face when your supervisor announces that there is a 420 so that another coworker feels the need to speak up so that there isn't a lot of tension is inappropriate too.

Catherine is the supervisor of the night shift. She really doesn't have a lot of time (as evidenced in the first episode with her needing to be in five places at once - plus having to deal with paperwork, new cases that pop up, and other things) to be having heart to hearts with each member of her staff in order to see who is upset. Cath is way too busy to be feeling out everyone in order to see who feels like they are being slighted. If Greg has a problem, then he needs to be a man and go to Catherine and explain what his issue is. Trust me when I say that boss #2 hates it when we snap at him. We've had a few heart to hearts in my 7 years and I've learned a lot about him as a person. Last time we had it out, he told me that he'd prefer that his employees talk to him if we have a problem and not give him the silent treatment.

2. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Getting a little dizzy...I keep thinking that this is the Coup de Grace episode but then as I read I think I got lost and ended up in the Family Affair thread...just a little bit confusing for those of us trying to get the opinions on this episode...just saying...the fight was a few episodes ago... so why are we still hashing it out and here in this thread...it is over and done but if I were Greg I would have a problem with Ray, the almighty wonder, too!

I worked Thursday so now I will go and watch...if I don't get distracted again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. byline

byline CSI Level One

It was pretty clear to me with the "fat" remark that the poster was referring to physical appearance, and I agree with other posters that we should refrain from personal attacks on an actor's appearance.

4. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

^ Trudat, people need to chill. In fact, Imma head over to the Miami thread where things are nice and calm...-sneaks off-

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

According to LF's bio, he stands 6' ft tall and weighs 170, hardly overweight:confused: and I find him attractive and his aura is overwhelmingly powerful. He's a sweetheart and great in hs role on CSI as Dr. Langston He's doing a great job and in this ep. was awesome~

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

As for the scene in Family Affair, I'm going to give Greg, Nick and Cath all a pass (and yes they all could have handled the situation better) given that they were under extremely stressful circumstances. Understaffed, overworked, exhaustion, it was probably hot outside, etc. This I feel was the whole point of the scene. None of them were acting themselves because of all of these factors.

I disagree that he made a face. He looked up as if he was trying to stay calm. Like he was thinking "oh here it comes once again me being treated like the newbie". He looked up and then looked over which I guess can possibly be misunderstood as eyerolling/making a face. He looked over to Sara as if to say, "see what I mean about me still being treated like the newbie?" I think that he was trying to control his frustration in that scene. He was probably counting in his head or reciting the periodic table in order to stay calm. :lol: That would be so Greg to recite the periodic table in his head as a way of staying calm and not losing his cool again. :lol:

Sara took the case because she's Greg's friend and she knows him better than anyone else on the team. She knows how he's been feeling lately and she also knows that cases involving dead kids are hard for him because of the case involving a dead kid that they once worked on together (and it was announced 420- dead kid at such and such). She was being a good friend to Greg by taking the case.

I think it might have been neat in this ep if Greg had calmly said, "Cath, please don't take me off this case. I really just feel that I need to see this one out." They were already making subtle references to the whole Demetrius thing in scenes where Greg was with the waitress. One more less subtle one wouldn't have hurt. It would be a gentle way to remind Cath of what Greg said in Family Affair, but without the attitude. :)

Another point though... why couldn't they have given the 420 to Wendy? They did state that the labrats would be in the field more due to short CSI staff. Adam on NY is a lab tech, yet he's gone to scenes alone and collected evidence. Why can't Wendy? I mean with a cop of course, but without another CSI present. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Are you referring to the reviews posted here? If so, the producers of CSI have nothing to do with those. You can comment on the episodes by going to the bottom of the screen and using the pull down menu (where it says "forum jump") to select the "CSI News Items" section. From there, find the thread containing the review for the episode. There you can post your thoughts. The news section has recently been changed and once the change is completed, eventually we will be able to comment on the actual news page. As for right now, comments are closed because that portion is still a bit under construction. :) Hope that helps answer your questions. :)

Well, she's not going to be in every ep. They are doing the smart thing by spreading her episodes out. If she was only in five consecutive eps, her fans who quit watching when she left would only watch her episodes and then move on. By spreading her episodes out, they feel there's a better chance her fans will stick around for all of the episodes.

At least in the new ep they explained where she was during last week's episode. That's improvement in of itself. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Word. As far as I can tell, Ray has the same build as Grissom, and is slightly younger and significantly more attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless, his looks are beside the point, and I really hope that I don't see another attack on his personal appearance. I really think we should cease discussing this, seeing as Ray's appearance did not change significantly nor was he introduced in Coup de Grace, and I hope that it will not be discussed in future threads either.

In terms of Greg becoming "obsolete" since Grissom's departure, I have no idea where you got that. As a Greg fan, I feel like he's gotten way more meat this season and last. I'm fairly certain someone tracked the actual number of minutes (possibly in the 'Leggo my Greggo' thread), and his screentime came out to a significantly better number than in previous, more GSR-focused seasons. Also, not to be rude, but there is nobody on CSI named Sazmandar... ;)

8. Zipster

Zipster Witness

What an excellent episode!

I really enjoyed it.

Bravo!

Z

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

I agree. I think what might be true -- and this isn't a matter of Greg becoming obsolete, but simply evolving as a character -- is that the focus has changed. Greg's relationship with Grissom was all about him yearning for, and earning Grissom's respect over time. In the early years, Greg seemed to be pretty much the butt of the CSIs' jokes, and also a source of derision and consternation from Grissom, who I think viewed him as not much more than a silly guy he had to put up with in order to get the lab results he needed.

But Greg's character has grown and strengthened since then. I think that's why he's feeling frustrated now. He's done so much to prove himself, only to be relegated to a lot of the back-burner cases. So I think his frustration is understandable, and it will be interesting to see where this goes.

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

actually, i don't think there is anything wrong with discussing actor's physical appearance. i mean, a huge percentage of time on this board is spent on discussing the looks of actors and characters they play.

there is a difference, of course, between being polite and mean about it but everybody has a right to their own opinion. it's equally ok to find one actor hot and sexy and the other one fat and ugly. the way you say it has to be polite, if you want to be perceived as a polite person. not everybody is polite, and i think even those blunt or even rude comments on the boards are valuable to TPTB. sincerity, even if it sometimes hurts, is something actors and other public figures automatically agree to when they enter the showbiz.

there is a fine line between that and bashing/trolling of course but if it's just one short comment that is not completely ridiculous, it does bear some validity. because a lot of people might not say it point blank, so they won't come off as rude, but it doesn't mean they don't think it.

ETA: not to sound like i actually think that, cuz i don't. i just don't find him particularly attractive in any sense of that word.

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

That's fine. But it's one thing to address an actor's appearance in a positive way, something else altogether to attack an actor based on his/her appearance (or anything else, for that matter). My understanding is that personal attacks are off-limits on this board, and IMO slagging someone for his/her appearance is a type of personal attack. My preference is that we avoid that with the actors, just as we are expected to avoid it with each other when we post here.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

No really is no point to attacking any actor or actress whatever the case may be. If one doesn't like someone, it's probably better that they keep it to their selves, negativity drags others down:( This isn't the picture thread but just judge for you selves on LF appearance~

BILLY AND LARRY

GARY AND LARRY

13. LastToKnow710

LastToKnow710 Witness

I think disliking a character solely because of the way they look is pretty shallow. And personally attacking an actor for the way they look is not something I want to see on this board, personally. I think the fans all have different preferences. Some prefer Marg, some Jorja. Some Billy, some George, and Eric. We're all attracted to different things. But we should respect each other and the actors enough to keep blatant attacks off the boards.

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Okay, we've now got three pages of posters stating that they think trashing an actor's appearance is inappropriate. Agreed. Now let's move on to episode discussion. Thanks! :)

15. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

I have many of the same complaints that others here have. I hate the way they've dumbed down the team since Lanston's arrival. It's hard to believe that any of them are above a CSI level 1 the way they seem to need to be led around by the nose by Ray.

Yes Grissom was smart, but as the audience, we were privy to how/what he did to seem like he had the answers..he researched and we saw that numerous times. Grissom was always reading books, journals or searching online. And Grissom at least let the rest of the team develop their own conclusions and work it out for themselves whether they were wrong or right.

TPTB and the writers are really dropping the ball in making Langston "Horatio-like" in that he is NEVER wrong. Personally, I would have preferred no other actor stepping in after Billy. They should have concentrated on the remaining actors and should have moved Wendy into the field. People would have been much happier, imo.