The Screentime Tallyboard

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Mar 24, 2009.

1. slower

slower Lab Technician

Ok, those who are high on Jessie are going to naturally see that it is equal. But, those of us who don't mind the character, but don't want to see him so much (being a newbie), see it differently. 15 to 9 is not!!! equal.

He was in almost every scene.

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I don't really have a problem with 15 to 9 as the time is not going to be split dead even.15 to 0 is another story. I wonder at some point if there are going to be episodes where a character might not get any time because of the number of characters Miami now has?

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I honestly don't have ANY problem with this kind of screentime tallyboard mostly b/c my idea that a good episode should be based on good stories, good interactions between the characters both main characters and guest-cast!!!

This is exactly what this episode, at least IMHO, offered to us. I don't think we can deny there were some terrific interactions such as Jesse/Walter/Ryan, Jesse/Ryan, Walter/Jesse, Walter/Calleigh/Tom, not to mention that some interactions with the guest-cast such as Horatio/Frank/Allison, Horatio/Daniel & Jesse/Carlos were simply amazing! Honestly, when I see interactions like this on this show, I don't care about anything else b/c I find myself soooo fascinated by them.

Look for example at Jesse & Ryan playing Rock, Paper Scissors at the beginning of the epsiode I was finally yelling "wow these people know how to have fun!" b/c, quite honestly, I was beginning to think that sooner or later we would have had murder among the CSIs 'cause their interactions have always been bad, at least IMHO. All I can say is thank god they've added Eddie Cibrian as Jesse so that Ryan can have a NORMAL relationship/interaction with another guy! :thumbsup:
    When I see something like this I find myself not wanting Eric Delko back. I really don't miss him and his attitude towards Ryan and I don't care if Ryan gets fewer scenes that the others. As long as they're good, I'm all for 4 good scenes in an episode rather than 20 disgusting scenes like the one he could have had with Delko back in the past ;)

I prefer quality rather than quantity and if is they quality they can give me (I do think this episode had some of the best interactions between anyone than ever)...I'm all for it. Look for example at the whole lynch scene....it probably last 1 minute, but it was intense enough & so well shot to look much longer....the lenght it actually deserved b/c the interactions among the actors, who have never seen eachothers during their lives, were sooooooooooo good!

As for Natalia missing well I'll be brutally honest....I didn't notice that until you guys pointed it out. I may have been distracted by the guest-cast as I loved EVERYONE in this epsiode, but I do think that she probably wouldn't have had the right interactions with the characters. Maybe with the widow....maybe, but the interactions I saw throughout the episode were good enough for me to think she couldn't do anything. Again, I love Eva and I'm all for her to have much more screentime, but if she can't have some good scenes, then don't do them. I do think that what's TPTB have been thinking while writing & shooting this epsidoe.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. slower

slower Lab Technician

OK, I'm going to be blunt. I do not look at this through rose colored glasses. I want to see more of my fav, and not just joking around, playing a game of RPS and leaving not to be seen until he is with H, and then being stuck in the lab going over ledgers. Then we don't see him again until the end hanging out with the guys, in his sweater vest, and being called shorty. Holy c*** this is getting on my last nerve. :(

Breath..... Now can anyone of you see the frustration, that some of the rest of us have?

I like Jessie and Walter just fine, but, not to the extent I see noww!!!:(

I apoligize for offending anyone, I just needed to get that off of my chest. :)

5. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You've got a point. The interaction between characters was good in this episode.

:lol: Whoa! Murder? Then again, you may be right. Things were getting a little crunchy! I absolutely loved the RPS bit and I hope they're planning more scenes like that.

AMEN!! I'm so thrilled that it looks like Ryan will finally get a chance to have some real friends (Jesse and Walter).

I miss the Eric of the first three seasons. Not the last three at all and his less than friendly attitude towards Ryan got old very fast.

This season has been a huge improvement in character interaction. And I really think you have to give a lot of the credit for that to the new characters. It gives the writers fresh subjects to work with and allows the older characters to have new people to interact with, minus any issues or baggage they have with other long timers.

OUCH, Flo! Now that hurt! :(

I really do miss Natalia and I'm hoping she's back very soon.

Eva is a hugely talented actress and I agree with you to an extent. No character should appear just for the sake of an appearance. But I've seen Eva take some pretty sorry material and elevate it substantially by sheer talent.

I love the character and I'm truly missing her. I hope they bring her back in to the stories pretty quick here. :(

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

The right interactions? She's a CSI, she works there....how could she NOT have had the right interactions had she been there or had been given the material/dialouge?! I'm a little wtf at this statement. It doesn't matter to me if any of them can personally relate to the guest stars/storyline, & that shouldn't be reason why only one is pushed aside. I'm quite sure Natalia would be capable of doing any of the things the others did in this episode -- it wasn't exactly the most OUTSTANDING we've seen in these characters.

I imagine it isn't your intention, but that's a bit insulting, don't you think?

7. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

Just a thought: But what is if the writers had no other chance as to take her out of the screenplay for this ep 'cause of some private stuff or so. I don't know what Eva does besides CSI:Miami and I also don't know what happens in her private life . But probably she couldn't be on the set for this ep for some reasons we don't know and she'll be back next ep.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^ We don't know if that's the case though, & until there is any word from Eva or tptb as to why her screentime/storyline has been so poor, fans of hers will continue to be frustrated & not understand this.

9. Princess_Laurie

Princess_Laurie Witness

This would have been an almost perfect episode for me if they'd have included Natalia, even a little bit. I thought she had some great scenes the week before (Especially with Ryan), and I was really looking forward to seeing her again. I think Eva is very talented, and I hope TPTB realizes that. I have my fingers crossed she has many more scenes on Monday night.

10. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Have you ever thought that not everyone can have good interactions with anyone? And have you ever thought that Eva could have any kind of problem so that she couldn't take part in the episode?
    The fact Natalia is a CSI doesn't mean she's gonna have the best interactions possible on the show! Now, do you really believe she could play RPS? Frankly, I can't see her doing that with anyone! Natalia is not that type! Not even Calleigh can do such a thing! She may would have been able to give all those bad news to the widow....I'm sure she could have done it, but I honestly don't believe I would have had that much fun I had while Frank kept going on giving those news to Allison also because he was the only possible member of the team who could have lost his money thanks to Burgess. I may love way too much the guest-stars of the episode 'cause, I repeat I do LOVE them!, but I just don't see Natalia palying the role Frank played in those scenes as I can't see her in any of the scenes of the episodes!
    I Love Eva and I love Natalia so sorry, but to me Natalia would have been as useful as Delko in this episode!

As for the whole outstanding I wont' even reply to that 'cause I already know we'll never agree on this topic and I don't want to go on with this debate 'cause we're not really talking about it.

You're kidding, right? Sorry, I don't want to insult you and anyone else, but I think that Hollywood works a little bit different than the way you would think 'cause it's not Disneyland. Don't get me wrong, but TPTB are not paid to take care of the actors and give them cookies as if they were their kids. Actors & actresses are paid to play what TPTB want from them in the way THEY want! Eva is an actress and she's paid to do what TPTB ask her in the way they want. If her interaction may not be the way the want, they drop the idea. This is how Hollywood works, this is the way actors & TPTB work.

They make experiments and if their experiment goes wrong, they drop it off!!! I do think that is what happened while shooting the episode and I really hate when people insinuate I'm insulting someone with this statement 'cause that's how it works in Hollywood in RL.
    Though, I truely believe she may had some problems in her private life (and trust me being a normal person she can have them) which may have prevented her from shooting some epsidoes 'cause again, this isnì't the first time she's missing from an episode!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

First off, I didn't say that just because she is a CSI means she will or should have good interaction. I meant that because she's a CSI, she should be there working just as the others were -- meaning she is not just a DNA analyst anymore therefore she has the capability to do MORE!

Secondly, not every single scene (as quoted above) was "fun stuff" or the kind of interaction that she couldn't have played. Is she capable of walking to the morgue to talk to Tom about the case with Walter, sure she is. Is she capable of talking to Carlos or seeing that he needs a drink? YES she is! What about the number of scenes that they all had alone, without any interaction at all?!! I could go on, but I'll spare you.

As I said before, if that's the case then that's fine, but we don't know that for sure; & until we see a better balance or hear a reason why, then we will continue to question & discuss this issue - I wouldn't expect you not to question it either if it were a favorite of yours.

12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Hell yeah she can do all of these things and that's why, unless TPTB are just a group of morons, I think there MUST be something like private stuff behind her disappearence!

You mean scenes like Jesse and the wall from the season premiere? :lol: Yease please, spare me ;)

No one ever said you coulnd't do that. I just tried to express my honest opinion on the matter.

You know what? I do have some favorites of mines, OFC I do, but I'm not that stupid to completely ignore the others. So I really don't get this distinction you keep focusing when talking to m. The fact that I do love Eddie doesn't mean I'm not concerned on Eva's situation. I'm more than concerned about this and the only possible reason why she's missing I can find is that she's having troubles/stuff going on in her private life and again, knowing Eva, she will NEVER talk about this stuff, so do not expect to hear a word from her ;)

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Even if Eva did have something going on in real life that prevented her from being in this episode, the writers could have at the very least given a brief mention of the character's absence since she's in the opening credits with the theme song. They could have had one of the other characters say, "Normally Natalia would be here working this part of the case, but she's at a forensics conference" or "she's visiting her family right now." It would take all of a five seconds, ten tops to say that. :lol: I just don't get why that is so difficult for the writers to do. It just seems so weird that she just wasn't there and wasn't even mentioned. :lol:

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Well, my apologies Flo, but saying that someone would have been useless in an episode doesn't exactly suggest any positive support for the actress or character.

As for Eva saying anything - no, I don't expect her to give details - however, I have seen in the past that she's been fairly open & direct with her fans (about her divorce, her leave from AMC, Kaya, & her engagement, to name a few). The fact that this issue has been all over this board, all over her old website, & on her new one - I do have to imagine that she's fully aware people are noticing & questioning the lack of screentime/storylines -- hell, tptb should know as well, but nothing is ever said. It doesn't take going into details to get a point across - I would take a simple comment.... heck they can even lie to me, ...as long as they, or she, acknowledged it instead of acting as if she's just a recurring character.

Exactly. The fact that they convienantly didn't need any DNA in this episode suggests to me that they just simply didn't feel she was needed, & that's why it ticks me off - she's a CSI now & they shouldn't just use her as the go-to DNA chick!

15. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I say it short: tptb should cut Jessy's screentime and give it to Natalia!