Grade "Dead Reckoning"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 14, 2009.

?

How would you grade Dead Reckoning?

1. A+

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. A

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. B-

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New ep of CSI: NY tonight! Watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I don't know what it was, but this episode just didn't grip me as much as I thought it would.

Had a few good personal moments, but the case was kind of a dud (I don't even remember if they even mentioned the killer's motive for any of the murders :rolleyes: And parts of the episode were just too, too cheesy for my tastes.

Mac was getting borderline too-personal about the case again (I was almost relieved when it turned out at the end that there wasn't a second killer, especially since he seemed to be expecting one).

Sinclair bored me. This is particularly disappointing because I used to love his scenes. And his little frenemies relationship with Mac. But he was entirely too tame here, gave the team no trouble; barely even put up a fuss when Stella told him he had to cancel the press conference. Gah.:scream:

Liked the Hawkes/Danny moment. That was nice to see (I couldn't see the sneak preview on CBS), and Hawkes gave Danny just the right kick in the pants that he needed. I still feel like they're simplifying Danny's storyline a little too much, but they handled it well in this episode, and I loved seeing Danny in therapy twice :D I'm sort of fond of his therapist, too. Hope she's a recurring character. And I did appreciate seeing a bit of depth in Danny's response to being in a wheelchair -- he couldn't always be filled only with determination to walk again, it made tons of sense that he'd want to give up every now and then. Which is why I liked the Hawkes "pep"-talk. It was nice that someone else is responding to what Danny has to be going through.

Thankfully skimpy on the DL moments (save for one at the end, so cheesy it feels like I'm gagging on Kraft Dinner again); and Lindsay had some moments of pure awesome in this episode; and some cute ones with Hawkes, too (heart). I'm proud of her. Again. Thank you for letting her tackle someone again...do you know how long I've been waiting to see that? :p Ugh, ugh, ugh though, I wish they'd kept her old hair :shifty: Don't know when she was supposed to find time to get a haircut if she was also supposed to be super-busy at home, what with Danny in the wheelchair.

I finally got the sense that Flack was feeling terrible not just about Angell's death, but also about what he did because of Angell's death. This part of the episode...seriously came off amazingly. I mean, I kind of wish it was someone other than Mac who had approached him about freezing, but you can so feel his pain. This may be the most invested I've ever been in a CSI: NY storyline since...well, a really long time to be honest :lol: Although I can't believe they've shown Flack turning to the bottle this many times without even one mention of Sam. That's just flat-out lazy.

Seriously. Seriously -- where the hell was Adam? This wasn't even funny. It's what's bringing my grade down to a B-. We got plenty of Haylen (who I'm still iffy on, she didn't do that much) and no Adam. I'd be freakin' worried about my job security too, if this is going to be a repeated occurrence. And if the cast is now so stretched that not everyone can get a decent amount of screentime in each episode, they probably shouldn't have taken on a new cast member. What is with the disappearing characters on these shows this week? I'm going to watch the episode again...I'm not sure if I just blinked and missed Adam, but I don't remember seeing him and it's bothering me.

Although it gets a half-point because Sid came close to having a creepy-moment.

Final Grade: B-. It might change later, though.

3. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Not a bad episode over all, just nothing to get too excited about. The case kind of felt like a stitching together of a few cases we're more familiar with, which they only kept twisting together to try and throw us off. So maybe it was a LITTLE contrived... At least it's not The Mac Taylor Show this week.

We've seen other cases that start with a false confession but there's something about this lady that had me interested right until Stella ran the worlds fastest DNA test. So fast in fact that Mac and Don hadn't even left the scene with the suspect before they'd found there was a secondary donor! Dun Dun DUN! They really need to work on their concept of time on this show.

No Adam. Minus ten points right off the bat. Maybe Haylen effectively squeezed the poor guy right out of the office already!?

As for Don's role in the case, I only had one major quibble. I understand that they had to set up a Don In Danger scenario to make him hesitate on pulling that trigger but I just don't feel like a 90lbs girl with a big knife was quite the threat to an armed officer of Don's stature that they were trying to make it out to be. Especially with some of the dangerous scenes we've seen a level headed Flack wrasslin' his way in and out of before. Ok, ok. Belief suspended.

Flack still isn't admitting anything and I'm a little surprised to be honest. Usually, they have a hard time spreading out a story this long, but perhaps Mac will have to call Don on his last words on the matter and make it official before Flack'll admit to anything. Either way this is still the most intriguing thing going on this season. He did manage to find a razor this week but he's still dressing out of Messer's closet. Speaking of Messer's closet I'm having the hardest time figuring out where the hell they're living these days. Apparently the Messer family is under one roof, according to this episode, but that's really the first we've seen or heard of this since this season has left us guessing that Danny's possibly been staying in a more wheelchair accessible clinic, while she's been with the kid. It'd be nice if they'd clear that up since when they got married and the baby showed up they were, as far as we were told, still living in their own apartments.

Finally, we get to see something interesting about Danny struggling through physio. Those brushed over scenes of woe-is-me promptly fixed by a few hackneyed words of encouragement from his little lady make me taste my dinner again. It's going to take more than positive words to fix this guy and it's nice to finally see him get a little ass kicking. It's also nice to see someone other than Lindsay address Danny's pessimism. A medical professional no less. Danny does have some long time friends around that I had expected would have something poignant to say on the matter by now. But this seems forgotten a lot now that he's married and so little news from the outside world ever seems to make it into Messer-Land. Intentionally or not they've debunked some of their own insistence that twoo wuv conquers all, being that this is the first substancial progress we've seen in Danny and it wasn't because of a cheerleader. It actually makes me think they're still not anywhere near being honest with one another since I'm not left with the impression Danny has ever reacted with the same kind of bitterness and animosity he unleashes on Sheldon, when Lindsay's been telling him to buck up. I mean shit, Hawkes actually got Messer to admit to his own whining! That deserves a medal in itself!

As usual they have a hard time seamlessly merging a case with a personal interest plot line and it shows up more in the end than the beginning. By the end I don't really care about the case, and I don't really have to because it turns out the whole thing is just some big mistake on the part of a worker at the cotton ball factory where CSI gets their swabs. Pretty anticlimactic and I feel like I've seen that somewhere before no? Maybe it was on another CSI, but still it feels recycled. Actually the most striking thing in the second half of the episode is probably hearing Mac say "we messed up". That must have been hard for him.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The beginning half of this episode had me wondering when the CSIs got so stupid. I thought of the things they thought of regarding the case...about 10 minutes before they did.

Also? How many times are these shows going to use the 'man has multiple wives' storyline? I'm pretty sure the CSI franchise has done it at least two or three times already. And didn't Miami have an episode that included contaminated swabs?

No Adam - bummer, and Haylen didn't impress me*, but Sid's awesomeness made up for that a bit. (I dare to hope maybe this means AJ was filming something else - is there any news about the Ghostfacers returning to Supernatural this season? :D) Sid is always so great - it's a shame that we don't see more of him.

* I did like her scene at the end of the episode, though (I wrote the earlier bit after her first scene). I may not be a fan of the character just yet, but there's no denying that Sarah's a good actress. :)

Yay for Hawkes kicking Danny's arse a bit, but *yawn* at the DL scene in the lab a few minutes later. Lindsay almost always makes me feel like I'm watching a mediocre high school play. Sure, she can ~act~ (a lot of people can ~act~, including the cast of my high school plays), but the depth of the performance and the ability for the viewer to connect with the character and believe the interaction...yeah, not feeling it. YMMV, of course.

The scene at the end seemed too soon - Danny is struggling to walk, but he puts his mind to it and suddenly he's able to stand and hold his daughter after a single session? (I'll keep my thoughts on Lindsay in that scene to myself.)

I like the Flack stuff, but I have a question - why didn't Lindsay just shoot the woman in the leg or something? Tackling someone with a knife was kind of stupid. She could have squirmed and cut Lindsay or something. I know tackling is more dramatic, but whatever. If Flack should have shot her, why shouldn't Lindsay have shot her? The woman wasn't a direct threat to her, blah blah - but I still say tackling someone swinging a big knife wasn't the smartest move. *shrug*

5. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

A-

Loved the Flack story. Loved that last scene. Not sure if it's cause Danny looked awesome holding Lucy or cause he was standing while doing it!

Wasn't thrilled about the "crime spree". The story seemed....kinda dorky. Not completely unrealistic that a worker doesn't wear gloves. Just that her DNA was all over the place.

I just wanna know when Flack finally admits that he is having a tough time.

6. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Super agreement with these three points in particular.

This whole plot felt like a patchwork of other used up plots.
    The scene at the end would have been better suited to a later show.
    If that lady was a lethal threat to a guy Don's size it makes NO sense to me that Lindsay wrestled her down.

7. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Someone wake me up when this episode gets interesting.
    SID!!!
    Eww...I could do without the stomach contents scene.
    Unlike Haylen, I'm yawning cause so far I find this episode boring.
    I may feel different after I watch it again on ON DEMAND later tonight.
    Chief!!!
    YAWN!!! At this rate, this episode will be lucky if I give it a C. Right now...D+.
    I got $5.00 that says Zoya's DNA won't match the mystery lady's DNA. Do I have any takers? Oh yeah, no one will read this till the episode is over here in Alabama...NEVER MIND.
    Just thought...where's Adam?
    World Send...all of them got a package from World Send. My $5.00 now says the mystery lady works for World Send.
    Get her, Flack!!!
    DANG!!! They lost her.
    Flack spotted her. Go Flack!!!
    Nice tackle, Lindsay. That's the most exciting thing that's happened in this episode.
    Back to boring.
    They messed up or Miss World Send has an identical twin.
    :eek: :wtf: Q-Tip lady contaminated the swabs.:guffaw: Some reason I find that funny.
    WOW. Danny is standing.

OK...What do I give this episode? Not sure. I'll come back and give it a grade after I watch the replay on ON DEMAND after midnight...Alabama time, of course.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

The case wasn't all that great - of coarse it turned out they didn't really have a connection at all. I have to admit I was a bit curious about how DNA from the one woman was at the various scenes, but it wasn't that great.

I think Danny was suddenly able to walk too quickly after having such a hard time.

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

BTW, wasn't World Send the packing company from "City of the Dolls"? If so, yay for continuity. ;)

10. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

First blush...best epi so far this season. But then again, I said that last week about 'Lat/Long' :lol:

Slightly disappointed about Flack's lack of scruff, happy though that the casual style has stayed though. It's a subtle sign that everything still isn't alright, and a good indicator of how he's doing. The street scene with him flipping over taxis was awesome, 'bout time he got some action again. As for him freezing, nice to see that shooting Angell's killer is bothering him, and hasn't been done as a 'the bastard deserved it so I don't feel bad' thing.

Hawkes...wow :eek:. We've seen him snap a few times over the years (can't remember exacts though), but this was...amazing. I'm glad that he did it, and that he was the one to do it. Everyone has been treating Danny more or less with kid gloves, and it's about time someone called him on it. Yes Danny's trying, but Hawkes knows that he can do better, can push himself farther. And Hawkes was the right one to do it. He's seen it happen countless times and would still 'trade places with you in a minute'.

Yay for determined Danny. His second scene with the physical therapist was better than the first, especially when he stopped her from apologizing. He's realized that she was just doing her job and is actually on his side. There have been many times (read: On The Job) that Danny has had people on his side even when he didn't believe they were.

Lindsay. Nice to see her in action again, like she was in Zoo York. When it was first released that Lindsay was going to be the one that told Mac Don froze in the shoot out, I had my doubts on her delivery. But once again she surprised me, and tried to cover for him before Mac demanded the truth. And happy that she got some time with others in the Lab besides Danny. Ending scene...blah. Cheesy, not really needed, but cute nonetheless. ;D

Upset that there was no Adam in this episode (or did I just miss him?). Haylen...is actually starting to grow on me. Her snobbery has gone and sincerity has surfaced. I could believe her response when Stella asked how she managed time in the lab and clean up crew. The scene at the end said a lot about her character, and was a nice insight.

Stella's discussion with Chief Sinclair was not what I was expecting. Given the animosity between Mac and Sinclair, I had assumed that she would be seen as a stand in for Mac and the Chief's anger would be directed at her instead. But the fact that he didn't, and instead listened to her, was surprising.

Hallelujah, praise the TV gods! Sanctimonious Mac has left the building!! Driven yes, determined yes, taking everything personal...no! It's about time, and a very nice change. He wasn't the focus of the show, he didn't get his feathers ruffled when Sinclair stopped by.

As for the story line...something similar to this was done by CSI a few seasons ago. Don't remember the exact plot, but the 'swab contamination' thing was the cause of it all. However, NY managed to do it well, so no real beef about it.

Overall, A+. Can't wait for next week!

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I just can't get over the absolute fail of the continuity in this episode. Danny originally said his doctor told him that with the injury he sustained he had only a 10% chance of ever walking again in his entire lifetime. A couple of episodes later and Hawkes is now telling Danny that with the injury he sustained he should have been walking "weeks ago." This isn't continuity that has been forgotten over several seasons. This is within 2 - 3 episodes that continuity has been forgotten. That is inexcusable.

The case was boring as hell and I'm completely over Haylen Becall and Sarah Carter. That over dramatic yawn made Anna Belknap look like a master thespian. And why the hell is Haylen in an episode when Adam isn't in it at all?? She's supposed to be a recurring character, not a replacement for Adam.

Hawkes needs to quit his job at the lab and become a motivational speaker. He only yelled at Danny once and he had the guy up and walking in a week. Dude's got some mad healing skillz.

The ending with Danny holding the baby was cute, but the fact that he's walking (barefoot no less - you'd think he'd be weak enough that he'd need some type of support in order to get around) across the hall or the room or whatever he walked across is gag inducing.

This season had so much potential and aside from the premiere it's just sucked ass.

ETA: I also wondered why the teeny tiny woman was a deadly threat to Flack and wondered why Lindsay didn't just shoot her. The Flack storyline is the only interesting thing about this season so far, and even that can't save it from complete suckage.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Once again, the episode overall was kind of boring. I almost fell asleep several times. And the lack of Adam ticked me off. Haylen didn't annoy me in this episode surprisingly. :lol: But I'm still ticked that Adam wasn't there. It's fine if the actor's off filming something else, but can't the writers explain the character's absence? Miami did the same thing with Natalia this week. I guess Natalia and Adam were both off at some forensics seminar or something. :lol:

I liked that we got to see In-Action- Lindsay again. It's been a while. Although I agree that ideally in that situation, tackling someone may not be the best thing, but it still was cool to see Action-Lindsay again.

When Stella first said that if half the bread was in Kevin's stomach, how did an unknown woman's dna get on it... I thought they were going to pull a Milander and say that Kevin used to be a woman. :lol: Luckily they didn't go there. The cotton worker was the contamination? :lol: I wonder if anything like that's happened in real life. :lol:

I loved the look on baby Lucy's face when Lindsay walked into the nursery and the baby looked at her. Adorable. That's one cute kid. The scene overall was a bit cheesy though.

Hawkes is good at motivating Danny. And he was cute in his scene with Lindsay.

I like the continuity with Flack, but the episodes have been pretty boring this season so far.

13. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Yes it was, Faylinn. I just checked disc 1 of the CSI: Miami season 2 discs. A guy posing as a World Send employee delivered a letter bomb in the CSI: Miami season 2 episode "Dead Zone". So apparently World Send has an office in Miami.

14. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I thought it was a Great episode!!!
    I thought that the Danny and Hawks Scene was really good. He got through to Danny which was good he needed it.
    I thought it was nice seeing Don like how he was. Eddie is doing a great job with Flacks character this season!!
    I loved Lindsay this episode is was so GREAT seeing her in action again I missed that Lindsay a lot. I think Anna is doing great this season with Lindsay.
    Haylen she was ok. Im not sure what I think about her yet, but we will see what will happen during the rest of the season.

15. Star4CatESPChick

Star4CatESPChick Police Officer

Overall, I gave this episode an A- average. It could have gotten an A, if I wasn't confused over who really killed Kevin Carter. Danny struggling with his physical therapy and the miracle of him standing and holding his daughter were well done (if Carmine Giovinazzo doesn't get an Emmy nod for his performance, I'll be mad). I don't know what to the think Haylen, but I'll give her a chance.

Flack really needs help dealing with Jessica's death!