Anna/Lindsay #6: Baby on Board!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I know, right? (I mean, about Sara, totally my favourite CSI...Meredith I like, though I can't really stand Mer/Der.) Those two may be the most argued-over characters in their respective fandoms too, but they draw interest in large part because they're recognizably flawed. And still plain awesome despite that :D Lindsay holds the same attraction for me.

Yes! (Aw, just happy it's not just me anymore :lol:) That's kind of what's always struck me about Lindsay onscreen ... I used to not be able to stand her at all in the first few episodes I watched her in, to the point of wanting to smack her; because she just seemed so "perky-happy-bunnies-rainbows" and there seemed to be nothing else to her character :rolleyes: I called Mary Sue; especially with the way everyone seemed to adore her. And then after a few more episodes I noticed how she was kind of aloof even as she was perky, and how she held everyone at a distance even though they all seemed to like her. It made her more interesting, and I really liked that -- and the way she was all tough and perky despite it. I think AB added that element to her character. If you listen carefully to her lines in Season 2, all the way up to at least "All Access", there's absolutely nothing in the writing that would indicate the character was supposed to be traumatized or have any depth. And I think any sort of depth TPTB added to her character after that was inspired by AB's added element. Like Lindsay finding it hard to reach out to people. (Only they got rid of other elements of her character when they needed to make it fit a storyline.)

I know, I always tune in looking forward to seeing what she's going to do this week, and who she's going to talk to...I was really happy that she was able to step up to the plate for Danny in "Epilogue", but I got so irritated when he was literally the only other person she really talked to in that episode. Although they've kind of made up for that. A little :shifty:She's just so much fun to watch -- I'm watching "Forbidden Fruit" on TV right now, and I'm still totally feeling the same (lol, the demonstration with Mac :p: "I'm your boss, not your guinea pig". He's extremely indulgent with her, but I like their relationship all the same.). Do you remember which episode it was where Stella was the one who was all "Do you have a point?" with Lindsay, and Mac turned her own words on her with "Stella, be patient, it's always worth it?" :guffaw: Best interaction ever. I know it was a Season 5 episode, but I don't remember which one :(

They had better! After almost five years, they so owe us :vulcan: And yeah, they do seem to be showcasing her strength this season, at least with Danny, and it won't make sense if they can make her do that with Danny, and not with any other character. They've already shown us that she at least cares about every other character on this team.

ETA:

Oh, right, the scene from "Enough"! :lol: See, it's exactly those kinds of remarks that make me wonder about her, and wish they'd actually show us more of these things. Like, who was the bad sex with? And the thing with her comments is not just that they're fun, but they usually do explain something about her behaviour (like the bad sex one; might explain why she found it easy to come onto Danny in "Snow Day", and why the pool table was apparently an okay place to do it :lol: ; and the pen-pal thing! I find it very easy to believe Lindsay would enjoy writing letters, despite how time-consuming the process probably would've been for a pre-teen girl. I bet she kept a diary, too).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

*sobs* I'm too stupid for multi quotes and quoting is so exhausting! :lol: Ah, anyways, here we go.

I also think that Anna adds a lot to the scenes, and she does that very well. Like I said pretty much everywhere already, I think she portrays her perfectly. I remember that Stealing Home must have been the very first episode ever I watched (a while before I started to watch the show regulary) and her scenes were the ones that stuck in my hand. Same when I rewatched Zoo York a second time- it was Lindsay I immediately recognized. And so it is also Lindsay who became my very first favourite character on the show, a while before I started to ship her with Danny. There is just something about her and about the way Anna portrays her that caught my attention (I started to watch the show regulary during a mid season 2 rerun).

I don't remember either. Was it really season 5? I have no idea. I didn't get to watch the whole season yet, so that could explain it. :lol: But I agree, and did you notice that most of the times when Lindsay does those explanations and stories, it's with Mac and Stella around? I love the one from Forbidden Fruit, it was fantastic. And while we talk about it, how about People With Money when Stella said 'I love it when she does that'? :lol: Fantastic as well. She just has this adorable side. And you mentioned the bow earlier- that was another awesome scene. Yep, she's good with weapons, and I agree with you Maya, I bet she bought one herself. :lol:

Agree, agree and...agree! :lol: Yeah, that comment also made me wonder who she had bad sex with. It was a funny scene and I like that she comes up with little information about herself. It's like she's allowing people to get to know her a little better. And yes, she is the kind of person I think who would like to write a letter and receive one. And I was just thinking about a diary as well! I'd say that's another thing that proves she is someone you can relate to- she's doing things many people enjoy to do or says things many people would say. Yet she comes up with things totally unique and interesting, and she has things that make you think 'Oh, yes, that's a Lindsay thing', like those demonstrations and explanations.

3. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I only started watching the show about two years ago now, when Season 4 had been airing for a few weeks. Before then, I'd only ever catch isolated episodes (and few overall in which Danny and Lindsay interacted at all, let alone romantically), and it's always been Lindsay who caught my eye as a character on the show...but I don't think I actually liked her until I saw her in "Corporate Warriors" (I'd seen quite a few NY episodes before I saw that one, though). Lol, us with our Lindsay-stories. I don't know how much it means for a show on primetime tv, but I think it's a good thing that I literally can't picture anyone else as Lindsay, or can't think of Lindsay without also picturing what AB's added to the character.

She does have a very adorable side! I think it's especially cute when she mentions something really geeky, and is acting like it's the coolest thing in the world :lol: And how she's pretty clueless about emotions too...I mean, maybe not when it leads to people misunderstanding her or getting hurt because of it; but in scenes like with the little girl in "Boo", and her fascination with phone sex in "Live or Let Die"...it makes me laugh. People with Money was an awesome episode for her (I have to admit it was partly because that's where I really got the sense that she hadn't been a CSI for very long, and Mac had to keep reminding her to find evidence, rather than jumping to conclusions :p). And actually, the look on Mac's face when she was tying his tie is something that's always left me wondering. I can't tell if it's just because Lindsay was maybe doing something Claire always used to do, or if he was just amused by the demonstration (Stella certainly looked like she was about to start howling :lol:), but it was interesting.

Thing is, with those demonstrations and stuff -- even when Lindsay is just stuck in the lab (not that I want them to keep her there, and they'd better not :shifty:) she kind of brings her own element to her place there. She's the outside-the-box thinker, the one who applies myths and curses to cases in a relevant way, or the one who focuses on tiny beans that alter taste buds (something I actually think anyone else would've skipped over). It's always her that brings up those random facts that no reasonable person would bother learning, or the new/interesting things (like the beans, and the plant in "Veritas") that might otherwise be skipped over. That's totally her 'Lindsay thing'! :lol: Just like it's Adam's thing to bring the tech-knowledge to the yard, and Hawkes is kind of the all-in-one know-it-all (he knows a little something about everything). I love that about her.

4. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: Who would have expected you can discuss a single character that much? Then again I'm a fic writer, so basically it's what I'm doing all the time I write. :lol: But I agree, I couldn't picture anyone else as her, because Anna show Lindsay just the way she has to be.

Oh, that's an interesting interpretion of that scene, I never saw it that way. But I agree, it was a great episode for her and I enjoy to watch it. Also it was once again an episode that showed us Lindsay isn't afraid to admit when a theory she had was wrong. Instead of being grumpy she is all cute and does a demonstration. :lol: And I agree about the phone sex obsession- that was just a fantastic scene as well, and she was great in that episode. Then again for me she always is. ;)

Yes! Thank you for saying that! This is exactly why I love those demonstrations. She's not only following the text book and strictly analysing evidence, she looks behind the scenes and comes up with explanations and stories to explain what she found out. It always makes the scenes lighter in my eyes and I would definitely say that this is an interesting part of her character. She seems to be interested in a lot of things, which is why she's willing to find out more than she has to. She likes to tell a story more than to just present evidence. I love that a lot.

5. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

It really pays to look at a character from all angles, especially as a fic writer :p (*still slightly envious*) -- and Lindsay has quite a few of them. I honestly wonder what the writers initially had in mind when they put Lindsay's character. I don't think she turned out exactly as they planned, to say the least -- but that's probably a very good thing, because to be honest, her on-paper character doesn't seem to have been very well thought out. Or planned out. It often seems like she was thrown together really quickly to replace Aiden. It's the same feeling I'm getting now for Haylen Becall. But I think TPTB knew exactly what they were doing when they chose Anna Belknap for the part. Certainly looks-wise (I really do think Lindsay was always supposed to be on the short side).

Oh that's right, I almost forgot -- that may be the only time we've actually seen her make a mistake with a case :lol: And it was really cool of her to own up to it and admit that Mac was right in saying she should've followed the evidence. Then laughing it off with a cute demonstration -- you're right, it was very classy (LOL, although even better was Mac's dry little "change of heart?" after she walked in all "She's innocent". That was another scene that was just fun to watch.) They badly, badly need more moments like this one, it's unbelievable how much I miss that. Show her messing up more! Making wrong decisions, jumping to conclusions. Show her owning up to it, even if she laughs it off. That was just endearing.

I could very easily picture her being a university lecturer...in fact, with the way she seems to love demonstrations so much, I half-wonder if that's what she used to do before she became a CSI (or if she went directly into the police force after college). She's totally that awesome TA who made learning "fun" in school ;) With her, it's rarely just presenting the dry facts, at least, not if there's a way to make it more interesting (if long-winded). Of course, that does make me think she was one of those kids who loved school a lot...

6. csinynut

csinynut Hit and Run

Maya Happy thanksgiving, a little late. I'm from Montreal myself. Nice to have a three day weekend. but it's a lot harder to go back to work on tuesday:scream:

It's funny but i never had any problems with Anna's acting. i read thru most of the comments, good and bad, here. The bad ones were quite a surprise. Just when i realised there was actually people who didn't like Gillian Anderson on the X-Files. I'd go WHAAAT ?

All summer we had CSI weekends with reruns. There was really no order in the way they showed the episodes, sometimes we could have an episode from season 4, and next day Aiden was there, made no sense at all. Kind of confusing but it did give me chance to rewatch some of the episodes. Especially watching Anna to see if she really was that bad, maybe i was completly off track. There is something really natural about the way she looks that sometimes can throw you off base. But i think the problem is ( and you have touched upon it several times in the epic thread Who's more damaged...) is the quality of the writting. There is not an actor who can be convincing all the time when the writting he or she has to rely on is weak. I think most of the cast of NY has had their moments where i just go Gees that was convincing (irony here). Gary can sleepwalk to a scene, and i have to shake my head and say what did he just say.

I dont know where Im going with this, except to say that i like Anna acting. I even saw the movie she did with Sarah Chalke called Alchemy on paytv. The movie isn't really something to write home about, but Anna has some really cool scenes.

Off to bed now !

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Aw, hey, happy belated thanksgiving!! (Lol, from Ontario :D). I start again on Thursdsay myself, so it gives me a little time to pack and stuff and head back home.

Yeah -- I've experienced discussions before where one actor's acting really doesn't work for everyone (there's an entire website of people who apparently think Jorja Fox sucks as Sara :wtf:), so I get that not everything can always come across the same way for everyone. But I'd never considered that AB was a bad actress till I joined fandom, and even now I'm wondering if it's really that she "can't act" (I mean like you said, she was hilarious in Alchemy, and it's unbelievable how huge a fan I am of her portrayal of Eva Rossi on Medical Investigation), or if it's the character she's been given in Lindsay Monroe -- who certainly didn't seem to be at all layered until Anna had been playing her for a while -- or if it's just that not everyone likes her portrayal of Lindsay, even if it's a realistic/believable one. Which I like, btw :p

:lol::lol: That is exactly how I'd been watching NY until Season 4 started airing -- all the episodes out of order, Aiden there one minute and vanished the next. It took me forever to realize that she had actually died (because "Heroes" took forever to re-air here); and even after I saw Heroes, I was under the impression that Aiden had left the lab voluntarily, to work as a private investigator instead. Then I saw "Murder at Grand Central" and realized she'd been fired :shifty:.

That's true; I love the look of Lindsay (even if it makes AB look different than she usually does in tv-shows/movies), and a lot of her lines and cues seem very natural to me. Like in "All Access", I was convinced through that entire episode -- once Stella had been attacked, anyway -- that Lindsay was going to snap at any moment, because everything in her behaviour in the earlier scenes said that she was about to lose it. I still watch that episode and find it a very convincing portrayal of someone who's on edge. So when she finally did lose it on that limo-driver suspect, I wasn't the least bit surprised -- just triumphant that I'd guessed right :lol: But I'll be the first to admit that not all of her scenes come off so effortlessly, and I think the writing does play an important role there. Let's face it, the writing for Lindsay's character hasn't exactly been stellar :p She's the only new female character who's been added to the show that I've ever really liked, in over four years, even though the writing with her is frequently similar to the writing for the other females -- and no, I don't think it's because the others didn't stick around for very long (Angell was there for three, and it didn't make me warm to her). I think her likability -- for me, anyway -- is because of AB. And, the jury's still out on Haylen Becall (and what Sarah Carter can do with her). But NY just doesn't do well with hastily-added female characters.

ETA: I'm still looking through the old threads here, too, but mostly for pics of Lindsay :p (there are a whole chunk of them from before)

8. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Gah, now not only the website hates me but also my computer mouse. :lol: That is so darn mean.

Absolutely! I think pupils would love Lindsay Demonstration Monroe-Messer (woop, my shipper heart is speaking), because I'm sure school or college with her would have been fun. This is again an interesting question- what did she do before? As far as I remember, she was working at the lab in Montana for three years before she came to New York. I also still wonder- why did she move to New York, and how quickly did she decide to apply for the job? I wasn't watching the show yet back then when there was the discussion about her secret. I only heard it was mentioned as the reason why she moved, but it was actually never said that the murder of her friends was the reason. So my question is- how did she decide she wants the job? And how easily did she get it? Stella said she was chosen because of her eye for the detail (which she clearly has when you look at her demonstrations and what we discussed earlier). There was a case mentioned which caught Mac's attention which makes me wonder- did she lead this case? And if so, can we please have that as well? :lol: Please!

Well, I think you know my opinion- I love Anna in everything I saw her in so far. She was cute in that movie. I totally love her as Eva Rossi and also as Paige in WAT. And of course Lindsay; my favourite TV character ever. She is pretty much the reason why I started watching the show regulary, and later why I started shipping her with Danny. My favourite. And I think she is a fantastic actress.

I've just spend the last hour or so with setting up a LJ community for the friendship of Lindsay and Stella (and for those who possibly ship them, no idea) and all the pictures I got to see and which I also used for the header made me think that they really have an amazing chemistry and closeness which they really need to pay more attention to. There was this scene where they embraced each other before Lindsay had to head to Montana for testifying and that was so sweet. Same with the moment when they watched Mac reading that comic (they really have it with comics in that show, huh?) and also when Stella and Lindsay shared that little moment before Lindsay and Danny married. I love it so much! (And for the case someone wants to join said community just tell me :lol: ). It's nice to see that in a crime drama show.

Oh, pictures! I love to look at pictures of her. I think there would be enough to post one every post and we'd soon hit the 1000th one. :lol:

9. BlueRose

BlueRose Dead on Arrival

I love Anna she is great as lindsay on the show and she is my favorit character!!!
    Questions how do you do the multi quote thing cause its not working for me??

10. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Yep, same here. I love her. She's very talented and portrays her so well.

I have no idea how you do multiquotes. I usually do that all by myself. Just type [QUOTE*=Membersname] and at the end [/QUOTE*] (just without the *).

11. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Oh, I'd love it if they could give us another reference to the case that put Lindsay on Mac's radar. They said she was a blood-spatter analyst (and in all fairness, that could be a good reason for why we often see her in the lab). But I wonder what was so special about her talents. Although, I loved that Stella mentioned it was specifically her eye-for-detail that caught Mac's attention -- because what with Lindsay's compartmentalizing-personality, the way she's always so dot-dot-dot, having to explain things step by step (even if that means the explanation takes a while to make :lol:), the way she notices those easily-overlooked things about a case that tend to feature in her demonstrations....her eye for detail is all that we've been seeing from her, isn't it?

They need to tell us how old she is! It's really bugging me now -- she worked for the Montana crime lab for three years, and she's been working at New York's for about five now. But she looks very young on the show -- I don't think she's supposed to be much older than 30, maybe 33 at the very oldest (although if Stella's supposed to be 35, for all I know Lindsay's supposed to be in her 20s :rolleyes:). Which would mean she became a CSI at...26, 25 maybe? So I guess that's early enough for her to have just finished graduate school and maybe spent a year teaching (learning how to do the cool demonstrations :p) before she decided to go into law enforcement in Montana. I don't know if they'll ever give us an explanation for why she moved to New York, but I guess I like the idea that she moved just because she wanted to; better than I like the idea that she was running from her memories. In some ways, she probably was -- if she'd lived in Bozeman all her life, it probably couldn't be easy passing by that diner all the time. But her friends died when she was a teen, and Lindsay moved almost ten years later.

I so have to track down that episode of Without A Trace (they show that show all the time her, and it's never that episode!). Eva Rossi has to be my favourite character of hers, though -- I cannot believe they cancelled that show.

That hug in "Greater Good" right when Stella gives her the flowers! It usually passes so quickly when I watch the episode and they come off more giggly-fond of each other, but I've seen screencaps of that scene, and I think the depth of affection comes across so much more clearly in those pictures. That hug was a fabulous scene. I would definitely be up for any Stella/Lindsay community. But I have to go back and watch "Necrophilia Americana" (or something -- that's what it was called, right? :lol:) because I think the comic-book scene was from that episode, and I haven't seen it in ages.

I just found the one from "Super Men", where she's giving that weirded-out smile she got when Danny made his marry-me comment. It's such a funny pic :lol: We should get some of Eva Rossi in here -- there was one episode (don't remember the name) where they were all getting vaccinations or something -- the one where Eva did the press conference outside the hospital -- and she was wearing this really cute blue top :D A shirt like that might be too trendy for typical Lindsay, but it would look great...and seriously, she's been in New York for years now ;) Shouldn't her style change a little?

Not completely certain (lol, I still do all my quoting the hard way); but I think you have to put the quote boxes around each person's writing that you're quoting. Like:

[ QUOTE ] Originally Posted by....

[ QUOTE ] Originally Posted by....

And then whatever they wrote... [ / QUOTE ]

And whatever the first person wrote .... [ / QUOTE]

I think that's the way you do it, again not too sure ^^;;

12. BlueRose

BlueRose Dead on Arrival

Awsome thanks.
    I know alot of people on this site dont like lindsay(dont know why) but people have the right to their own opinion. Just like we do for loving her!!. Anna brings a very natural look and feel to lindsay charater which makes me more relatable to people. She's beautiful, but not to the point to were its like she is almost to pretty to be working as crime scene investigatior even if it is tv.

13. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: Yeah, and now I have to say- woo, we got continuation here! Lindsay's eye for the detail was mentioned in Zoo York for the very first time, and still we're getting at least one demonstration every season. They keep it going and like I said before, it's a Lindsay Thing. It's the way she is, and I like they keep that going.

Yep, I wanna know that as well. Her age is very confusing to me. I remember someone said that it was stated that the shooting was set 10 years before season 3. But the girl who played Lindsay was pretty young, so I have absolutely no idea how old she is. It would be interesting to know though. I think she's gotten to her job pretty soon after school, except she was super fast with studying like Hawkes. :lol: Who knows maybe one day someone tells us how old she is.

Yeah... it's mean, isn't it? Also try to watch her in Law and Order SVU, she was in there as well once. Also a role she played fantastically. See, is it a surprise I love her so much? :lol:

Yeah, that was the name. The episode had some great moments for her. First Mac teased her about the bugs and Hawkes laughed. Then Danny teased her about the bugs. Then she shared this cute scene with Stella. Really, you need to rewatch the episode. And I agree! I'm glad we have caps. When I watch that scene usually I'm so hyped up because of the wedding that I barely pay attention to the rest. :lol: But that cap really shows a lot of affection. Also that other hug, I'll need to post it for you.

:lol: Yeah, who would have thought he would do it again twice later? ;) But really, it was one cute cap. And I agree, she needs to wear some of Eva's clothes, just for a scene. Please?

Absolutely! That's why I like her so much as well. Because she is just so natural.

14. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I remember Lindsay saying that the shooting was 10 years before season 3 and the yourng lindsay looked about 15 maybe 16. If she was a Csi 3 years before moving to New York then your right she must have gotten the job right after college. We all know that the Csi Ny timeline is kinda wonky. I hope one day they tell us how old she is.

That episode was good. Its to bad the stopped putting out the DVDs for WAT they only went up to season 2 and that episode is in season 3:(

My mom has all those DVD's i saw that episode with her. Anna's hair was dark brown. Everything I have seen Anna in her hair has been dark, I liked it dark.

I loved her as Eva Rossi I thought she was fantastic playing her. Medical Investigation was a great show to bad it was cancelled, but if it had not been cancelled the Anna would not be playing Lindsay.

I loved Eva Rossi's style and Anna could pull it off. I would like to see Lindsay ware somthing like Eva Rossi or even Stella they are always changing Stella's style I wish they would do the same with Lindsay.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I guess her natural colour is dark-brown (huh, I would've thought it was the colour she has now, but :lol:). Argh, we'll probably never know.

The interesting -- although somewhat sad -- thing is that I actually think showing Lindsay's style change and adapt over the seasons from way-casual to trendy-New-Yorker would easily be a much more effective (and less repetitive) way of showing that she was an out-of-towner who's growing accustomed to living in New York. At least, much better than the main way they seem to have now -- of having Lindsay verbally remind viewers every now and then that she's "from Montana".

So....last night's ep? What did everyone think? I have to admit I wasn't as excited by it as I think I should have been, but Lindsay's parts were exceedingly cool :lol: And the cute conversation with Hawkes! Which made the episode for me even before her suspect-takedown.