My take on Season 10 Episode 1-? *No Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by m1304m, Oct 7, 2009.

1. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

The truth has to be told, CSI is just into the 2nd episode of the new season. It looks like I would need plenty of booze to get excited over season 10. Ok, the producers are trying to compensate the viewers for a painful season 9 after the exit of Petersen by giving the remaining original cast a little extra air time. No matter what they do, they are doing the same mistake of putting Langston in the lime light. Yes, he is an Oscar nominee and is paid $400,000 per episode. That does not mean that viewer have to endure his antics. They have already won over some viewers back with the return of Sara Sidle.

I am happy to see the return of an original cast member. If only Sara Sidle would disclose the name of her therapist and the drugs that were prescribe to her. Wow, it seems to have worked wonders for her. Never did she smile that much and looked that happy compared to previous seasons. If marriage had made her that happy and able to go back to the job she loathes and the city she despair than I advice everyone ditch therapy and get hitched.

On the other hand marriage may have really worked for her. Anyway I don’t doubt the strong love bond between Grissom and Sara. In a letter to Grissom she wrote “Our lives together was the only home I have ever had, I wouldn’t trade it for anything”. What I still don’t buy is that she just got married, moved to a new country and set up home there and suddenly she is prepared to leave everything behind and return to Vegas and to work at a Crime Lab, just because Eckley needed someone to fill a vacancy even though it was a temporary one! In the first place, Sara and Eckley never got along well; he even suspended her once and has instructed Grissom to fire her. Sara had even told him once that he only became the director of the lab because he kissed ass!!

I don’t buy this the story that she returned because she missed her ex-colleagues. I know she has always been on good terms with Nick and Greg. The first time she left, I don’t remember them talking about her.

When Grissom announced he was leaving, Nick and Greg speculated the reasons why he was leaving – is Grissom going to study bugs, write a book and maybe teach college. Never did they once mention that he was leaving to be with Sara, accept for Doctor Robbin who asked Grissom “Are you running away from something, or are you running to something or someone. In this advance stage of communication, there is always the internet and emails, as Grissom would say “That is the beauty of technology Nick”.

Especially when she just settled into a new country and suddenly she just takes off and goes across the Atlantic because she misses Nick and Greg – that is a bit too farfetched for me. As for Sara and Catherine for having a woman to woman talk – that is a bit ridiculous. Sara gets along with the guys better. And the last person she wants to have a talk with is Catherine.

In my book, Catherine only cares about herself and her daughter. And she gets so emotionally involved with her cases especially when it involves children – just because she is a mother.

The following are some of the scenes that I remembered from past seasons that clearly shows that both Catherine and Sara doesn’t think much of each other:

1. In Season 1 Episode 2 – when Grissom announced that he was bring a friend from San Francisco whom he trust to investigate Holly Gribbs murder, Catherine immediately responded “that’s what we need, someone to poke their nose around”. When Sara arrived she was very hostile to her.
    2. When the rest of the team were chipping in to buy gifts for Catherine daughter’s birthday, Sara had asked if she ever get to chip in and Catherine replied never.
    3. In the episode Caged, Grissom said to Catherine “All you get is Sara”. Catherine had responded “That’s all I need”
    4. In Season 3 in Crash and Burn it was obvious that Catherine was hinting a number of times that there was something between Hank and Elaine Alkaff, at the end of the episode when she invited Sara out for a beer, I don’t think she was feeling sorry for Sara because she looked rather pleased that Sara had broken up with hank.
    5. Then in one episode in Season 2, Grissom had told Sara that Nick is working with Catherine, Sara had responded “Bummer”
    6. In Invincible Evidence, Grissom has said to Sara “I am handing out assignments not negotiations”. Later Catherine told Grissom that she liked his tough act, Grissom had responded “You thinks it’s too much?” and Catherine had responded “Not enough”, Grissom had looked at rather in shock.
    7. When Sara had a tiff with Catherine over a case, Eckley had suspended her for 2 weeks and had wanted Grissom to fire her. Even when Greg approached Catherine telling her that Sara had always been there for all of them she was relentless and later when she heard that Grissom was not going to fire Sara, she asked him what he was going to do about it much to Grissom’s shock.
    8. Of course, when she ganged up with the Sheriff and Keppler to throw wool over her teams eyes, Sara had said “I finally found the right word to say to you Catherine”
    She may be Grissom’s right hand. Grissom had always been civil and respectful towards her but i firmly believe that was not much comradeship on her part. She had always told Grissom that she does not want to be a second banana forever and she knows she can do his job. When she was promoted to Day Shift Supervisor, she showed her true colour, when she reprimanded Warrick over a case, she had said to Warrick, “I am not Grissom. Grissom lets alot of things slide”. The irony is that when it came to Catherine Grissom did let many things slide – he did not put in her file that she had used the DNA lab to test her paternity and had accepted a cheque from Sam Braun. She has once asked Nick “You don’t like me as your boss Nick?” Nick had answered “Whatever”. Once she became day time shift supervisor she was not happy to see Grissom at her crime scene. She had asked him a number of times “Keeping an eye on me Gil”

So therefore I don’t buy this whole thing about Sara and Catherine being bosom buddies.

Since Season 9 episode 11, evey time I watched en episode I would say to myself “What the hell have they done to CSI?” The reason why I don’t watch Miami is because of David Caruso’s character Horatio Cane which is pure absurdness. And now they bring Langston in who is even more ridiculous than Horatio. I really wish they would bring Keppler back. I know that the paramedics had pronounced him dead in the ambulance. I have always believed in miracles. The producers can always say that on the way to the morgue they manage to revive him.

In episode 2, Langston was defending Greg Mason who he had just met, when he told the CSIs “Are you going after him just because his father went after Grissom?”

In the scene where Langston visited Gerg Mason in his cell, he suddenly handed him a pen knife and asked him to demonstrate how he would slit someone’s throat. That was the most ridiculous scene I have ever seen. If he had wanted to jeopardise his life that would have been fine with me but why put the poor officer’s life in danger. The way the officer drew his gun was obvious he was not prepared for what was coming.

Then suddenly he became a therapist trying to advice Greg Mason, telling this young boy whom he had just met a couple of minutes that his father was a killer too. Unfortunately he did not have sympathy for his own father whom he considered as a killer – who had served his country in war, came home “scarred” as a result turn to drinking and became violent.

In last week’s episode, he had use a gel block to study stab wounds, the way he had held the knife and trust it into the gel block, it looks like he was emulating Dexter. If only he had he had tilted the knife to an angle of 45degrees and thrust it towards his direction – that would have solved the problem.

The experiment he did on the pig looked very ridiculous – and he bought a pig without Catherine permission – especially now the lab is on a tight budget – I stand corrected Mr. Philanthropist pays everything from his own pocket. If the producers are trying to impress viewers with Langston’s antics, I am afraid it did not work. Are we supposed to be intrigue that at the end of the episode he found blood on his father’s medal? I don’t give a shit about it. As for me I have decided that I am only going to watch 3 more episodes until Sara exits – so will I. I don’t have any faith that Petersen is going to make a guest appearance especially when the standard of CSI has been compromised.

“I rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on velvety cushion” - Grissom

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Re: My take on Season 10 Episode 1 & 2

Ok, we get it, you're not happy with the show, then why don't you just stop watching it?

However, I do agree with you on a few points, I don't buy Sara being able to come back and do the job, I'm still waiting for explanation on that one. Then the fact that Ecklie called her for a recommendation :wtf:. I don't buy that, at all. There is no way Ecklie would have called her, Grissom, yes, her, no.

Now, I'm going to have to correct you on a couple of things. Catherine was promoted to Swing Shift Supervisor, not Day Shift supervisor. As for the response to Sara when she was asking about chipping in with a gift, Catherine did not say 'never'. Her response was: "When the spirit moves you, Sara. So, in your case, I guess, never."

When Grissom told Catherine that all she gets is Sara and Catherine said, 'That's all I need." Catherine was responded that Sara is all she need, in that, she didn't need anyone else's help.

Personally, I'm intrigued about the blood on Langston's father's medal. There's some mystery there and I want to know what it is.

I guess, everyone has to accept that this is a different CSI, that happens when there are cast changes.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I have to disagree with you on the Sara/Catherine relationship. They were at odds with each other in the early seasons, but developed a mutual respect for each other as time went on. I liked their scene in PWF when Catherine asks Sara out for a drink; she knew how Sara felt, since Catherine herself had been cheated on by her husband, and was offering her support, IMO. And maybe even have a little female bonding.
    Also, in Redrum, Sara didn't say 'I found a word for you', she said, 'If I have something to say to you, Catherine, I'll say it in private', or something like that. I took that to mean Sara didn't like what Catherine did, but she wasn't going to talk to her about it in front of everyone. You're right that they wrote Sara with better comradery with the guys, but I think that had more to do with Catherine's supervisory position. When the writers did put them together on a case, I thought they worked well together. It just didn't happen very often.
    And in BTK2, Catherine did call Sara for help. I, personally, would have liked to have seen that addressed again later in the episode, but another thing the writers just kind of dropped.
    Yours is an interesting post, m1304m, but it is mostly your opinion and interpretation; and your recall of events is not entirely accurate.
    As far as Sara coming back to work, I guess it depends on if you believe people can completely recover from PTSD. I'm of the belief that they can, especially when their personal life has improved and they have the love and support of their family, which by marriage, Sara finally has. But I'll admit, I'm just glad to have her back, especially since she is in a happier place.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

There has also been NUMEROUS accounts of Catherine caring about more than just herself and her daughter:

A) She went to bat for Nicky when he was accused of murder. She practically begged Ecklie to let her have twenty-four hours to investigate and prove Nick's innocence before Ecklie went and ruined Nick's career (she said if he was arrested- even if he was later proven innocent- he wouldn't be allowed to be a CSI anymore- of course the writers went back on that when Warrick was arrested for Joanna's/Gedda's murder).

B) Although she hated having to ask Sam for anything, she felt she had no choice when Nicky was kidnapped and went to Sam to ask for the money for the ransom. If she didn't care about Nicky, she never would have done that.

C) In Play With Fire, she was so upset with herself over the fact that she caused the explosion that hurt Greg. She went to him to tell him personally that it was her fault because she felt he deserved to hear it from her and not second hand. If she didn't care she would have been like "who cares how he hears it, I can't face him".

D) When Warrick was killed, Cath nearly doubled over in grief and even was crying. She had admitted earlier that Warrick was her fantasy. So, she definitely cared about him.

E) When Sara was missing, Cath was there scouring the desert in that awful heat, working just as hard to find Sara as the rest of them were.

F) She went out of her way to go to the hospital and be there for Grissom when she found out he was having ear surgery. She didn't have to do that, but she did that because she considers Gil her best friend and she wanted to be there for her friend.

Also, Catherine knew what Sara was going through when she found out Hank was cheating on her or two-timing her, whatever. Catherine's ex Eddie cheated on her and that's why she ended the marriage. She was not smiling because she was happy that Sara had gotten hurt. She was smiling because Sara seemed strong and decided not to let it bother her, not to give Hank that satisfaction. Catherine had been cheated on and she wouldn't have wished that on her worse enemy, let alone on Sara.

In the second episode of series, Catherine was worried about Warrick (whom she later admitted to having a crush on). She was worried that someone who didn't know him would come in with something against him. This was not about Sara, it was about Warrick.

Some people believe that Sara said this because she herself wanted to work with Nick. Some people believe that Sara at first had a bit of a crush on Nicky.

This was nothing against Sara. Catherine would have said that no matter who Grissom had been talking to. Catherine's said time and again that Grissom lets too many things slide and is too soft on his team members. So, she was proud of him for standing up for his position as supervisor and taking no complaints from his employees. The "not enough" was a joke though. As as Gil/Cath shipper at heart, I always believed that Catherine said that because she found Gil's authoritive side very sexy. :lol:

As for "Nesting Dolls", Catherine (not having known the real reason behind Sara's blow up- that the case reminded her of her parents) had every right to be upset about the comments Sara made. Ecklie overheard Sara saying what she said to Cath. You don't say anything about someone who is a supervisor's "sexuality" and expect not to have any reprecussions from it. Ecklie overheard this which is why Sara got reprimanded. Catherine herself probably would have shook it off, or might have gone to Grissom and said "I think something is up with Sara, she just bit my head off for no reason over a disagreement about the case. You should talk to her and find out what her deal is"... which is what she meant in the end. She didn't mean that Gil should fire Sara, she meant that he needed to get to the bottom of why Sara blew up like that because only he could. Sara would only open up to him if she was going to open up to anyone. In the real world, Sara would have been fired on the spot for saying to Cath "you let your sexuality cloud your judgement and I'm gonna go over your head". There would have been no temporary suspending, she would have been fired right then and there for being inappropriate with a supervisor.

As for Sara and Catherine in the season premiere, I don't think that the two of them discussing the job necessarily means that they are bosom buddies. I think they're making an effort to get along better than they did in the past, but I wouldn't say they are 100% friends either. Sara's happier now and more able to give others advice. Before she couldn't do that because she needed to solve her own issues before she went helping solve others' personal issues (which makes perfect sense to me).

I do agree that the scene with Craig Mason and Ray was a bit odd. In real life no one would have done that... given a suspect a sharp instrument... for any reason. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  5. KFK

KFK Witness

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Maybe some people just get over the humps in their relationships with people and move on.

My God..why don't you just go create a blog and write about how much you hate the show, then we won't have to deal with your negativity. Gees..it's just a show..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  7. GeekLove<3

GeekLove<3 Witness

I hate to sound rude; but why the heck are you watching if you have a whole essay about why you hate it?

This is probably the only statement I agree with. I fail to understand why we have to have this new character shoved down our throats. As a long time viewer who has watched every single episode up until this dude came in, I'm appalled. I didn't start watching CSI with this guy regularly on my screen. I didn't watch CSI for 8 years with this guy on my screen. I watched for the original cast. I get that there needs to be a head guy on the show, but why does he have to literally take Grissom's spot? Why can't they just make him the lead but then let the CSI's we know and love work the cases and be front and center? I don't care about Ray and the fact that he gets more screen time than any of the other CSI's is annoying.

Getting married didn't take all of her problems away. Finally having a life outside of work probably worked wonders on her. As a child she didn't have a life; she was a nerd who skipped a grade and focused on school work. As a young adult she was still focusing on school work. As an adult she started working in Vegas. That's not living. That's working. Sara's finally found someone who loves her for who she is despite her flaws and past. She's finally found a permanent home; something she's never had. She's traveling; seeing the world outside of Vegas and San Fran. She's going back to the job because the lab needed her help.

I'll admit I hated CSI season 9 and that's one season I will probably never buy and add to my collection. I'm giving season 10 a chance because I think the writers knew how terrible it was last year and they're trying to fix things. I personally don't think CSI will ever be as good as seasons 1-7 again. I pretty much watch for the characters now, not the cases.

But if all you're gonna do is bellyache about how crappy it is, then stop watching.

8. GregNickRyanFan

I completely agree with that. :)

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Just an FYI...

When this thread was started, we left it open because the discussion seemed to be leaning away from episode specifics and more toward general discussion of how the season was going. However, we don't want to start a trend of posters starting their own "what I think of this episode" threads. If we did that, we'd have wayyyyyyy too many individual threads on the board! :lol:

So in the future, let's please put episode thoughts and discussions in the threads that are up for those episodes. If you would like to continue a general discussion here, go ahead, but please...again...keep it civil and respect each others' opinions.

Thanks! :)

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Alright, this has been bugging me so I'm going to get my rant out here, as it pertains to the show.

Ray's the male lead, I get that. He'll get more screen time, I get that too. I don't have to agree with it, but I get it.

What annoys me is that, all of sudden, everyone seems so stupid. :wtf: They make look Nick, Catherine, and even Sara look like they can't figure out a crime. You know? I mean they've been doing this a hell of a lot longer than Langston and it should be them that Ray goes too for advice or fresh eyes on a case.

I mean Ray asking Nick and Sara if all the evidence has been processed? :wtf: Are they serious? Nick and Sara didn't know to make sure all the evidence had been processed? :wtf:

This sudden stupidity is reallly getting on my nerves!

Rant over! ;)

11. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

Episode 3

Not surprisingly, Episode 3 was another painful one to watch.

Naren Shanker, who wrote it should strictly stick to writing although the story sucks and STAY CLEAR of Directing.

It was such a slow moving and boring episode - lacking momentum. There was no surprise at all! It was like a truck stuck in mud!

Moving forward and backwards - too predictable.

Since the premier, the produces have been featuring the original cast at the opening of the episodes. Nick seems to be mostly at the crime scene but still Langston is the main feature. The format has not changed - everyone including Catherine (the Boss), Nick (the Assisting Supervisor), poor Greg (CSI 3) - are reporting to Langston - The Honorary Boss - The Future Nominee for the Nobel prize for Peace.

Fans only learnt of Grissom's father in Season 6. Grissom revealed about his father in a classic and endearing manner. It was worth the wait.

Unlike Langston's father, the producer is shoving it on our faces. It is like going out with your date for the first time and telling your date everything about yourself, things that she is not in the least interested to know. The only person that seemed to be awed by the mere mention of his father is Nick. So i suppose it will be on Nick's shoulder that Langston will be crying on about his father in the near future.

Fishburne may be an Oscar Nominee but his acting is rather poor in CSI - especially when he is trying hard to look intelligent!

At least Fishburne can be assured that his character Langston will be well known for the obtuse character that lead to the downfall of CSI.

“Belief, is not a matter of choice but of conviction”

12. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: My take on Season 10 Episode 1-?

m1304m, you were asked by Smokey to not open different threads for different eps that are already up, instead you could post your response in that episodes thread. What I have done is merged your "Episode 3" in to your my take on "Episode 10 Episode 1 & 2". Please if you want to post your thoughts this way do so either in this thread or in the actual discussion thread. As you will notice I posted a "?" in the title for episodes so that you don't have to have the episode numbers changed.

13. GregNickRyanFan

Re: Episode 3

I agree that episode 3 was kind of boring.

I don't think though that Nick was "awed" by the mention of Ray's father. I think he's just more curious than anything else. Or maybe he sensed that Ray was bitter about his father and Nick wonders why. I wouldn't say that he was "awed" though.

I have to disagree about LF's acting though. I think his acting is fine. And I'm not sure if the Langston character is leading to the downfall of CSI. If there is/was a downfall, I would tend to say it would be because tptb aren't doing things the way the majority of the fanbase wants them to. Some of those fans go online and post their thoughts like we do, but a great number of the fans don't go online to post their thoughts.

However, if things are bothering you this much about the show, you could always write to and/or email CBS or the head honchos at the show and tell them your concerns. I don't know if it would help or not, but it's worth a try, right? :)