Say NO to Homophobia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by beautifulview, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

ancient, I am so sorry to hear that. I hate that we still live in a world where some people feel that they have no other option except to take their own lives. It's truly heartbreaking. I know far too many people who have attempted suicide, self-harmed or suffered through things like eating disorders and/or depression because of the way society has ostracised them, or made them feel guilty/sick/wrong for being gay/bi/transgendered.

My ex-girlfriend hated herself for her sexuality - but I don't think she realised it fully. She grew up in an ultra-conservative home in the south of Ireland and spiraled into drug and alcohol abuse. It was heartbreaking to watch, but there was nothing I could do to help her because she pushed me (and everyone else) away. We've lost touch now, and I truly hope she found some peace and happiness in her life. Everyone deserves to have happiness in their lives.

2. lilbug

lilbug CSI Level Two

i love how everybody here is so open to everything. i wish more people in the world were.

hmmmm... i don't know what i am.

sorry, forensicsgirl about your ex. i hope she found some peace too.

i was on vacation and i come back here and there's like a couple hundred replies! lol

3. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

And it's because of such incidents, it's best that people should come to terms with things. Harsh world to live in where everyone shuns you away.

4. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

i think it's the most powerful thing ive read today :)
    you know what? i think that if we are so tolerant here , it's cause we have gay persons on our circle of friends....and we didn't push them away when we knew about their sexuality, even if it was weird at the beginning (at least for me)

ancient tomb: im sorry for your loss, hope you will find some peace in your heart , one day....
    fogi: that's really bad for her....i hope she will find something who will give her more confidence, i hope she will find it soon

5. jenakapt

jenakapt Lab Technician

Wow, it's awful what families can do and the effect that people have on other people's lives. I know from personal experience that families can surprise you a lot in what they do and the way they act. I'm not sure if my family is homophobic or not..... I know I shouldn't assume what they're going to say but when I was a bit younger and talked to my mum about it she simply said "no you're not" and that was it! I hate having my feelings dismissed.... that's probably the main reason why I haven't told them plus I know that they'll act differently around me! I hate when poeple are all "No no I'm fine not homopobic at all" and they act totally different around gay people. That annoys me a lot!!

6. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

My family actually has said a few things that bug me, going back to the 'looking gay' thing. We were on our way to a bookstore- we were torn between Borders or Barnes and Noble. Now, my sister says, "Borders, Barnes and Noble is too expensive" and then they get into this big conversation about how there are a lot of gay people and lesbians that hang out at Barnes and Noble and Borders. And I said, "You can't look gay. You might be wrong, just because someone may look a way doesn't mean they're gay" and then almost all my family just shakes their heads and says, "No, you can tell, if you know what to look for." It just bugged me!

I discussed this questioning of my sexuality with my sister one time, and she says, "So...you think you might be gay" and I just said, "Yeah..I've been thinking about it for a long time" and she says, "Okay...let me ask you something." Alright, so, at this time, I'm thinking she's going to ask this really complex question, you know, that would really make me think and everything. Instead, she asks, "Who does it for you, guys or girls?" :rolleyes: :lol:

I said, "What the heck kind of question is that!?" and she says, "It's an honest question. Alright, let me put it this way- Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie?" Poor Brad Pitt, that's not a fair question! :lol: I replied with, "You know what? Angelina, because I hate Brad Pitt" and I've always liked me some Angelina ;)

7. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Someone tried the Angelina vs Brad thing on me but it didn't work - neither of them do anything for me :p

Now, Jorja Fox vs Johnny Depp is another matter. Although, I don't think including Johnny in any sort of test or poll is exactly fair, because I know very few people (male or female, gay or straight) who don't think Johnny's hot. Every (straight) guy I work with have uttered those immortal words "I'd go gay for Johnny". And my cousin (who is a lesbian) even thinks he's the hotest man alive.

Given the choice, I'd still pick Jorja though - Johnny's practically married ;) (but it's a tough discision nonetheless...)

8. stripforensics

stripforensics Judge

Oh, if anyone asked me Angelina or Brad, I'd say both. At the same time :lol:

Jorja vs. Johnny Depp, though? Jorja. I'm one of those few people who don't think Johnny Depp's hot :lol: Nothing about him does anything for me :x

9. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Haha, I think my sis did use that one! Of course, I'd go with Jorja. Sorry Johnny ;)

10. onlynic

onlynic Prime Suspect

Oh, my Jorja or Johnny- i'll have to remember to ask my mom that one! I was just telling her that guys with makeup is HoTT! Like, i would want The Johnny from Pirates of the Car., but nothing else.

I think sexuality is almost like colors- everyone has there favs and have those colors that they don't care for- some ppl like a sporty girl/guy others want a girly girl or a guy with a soft side.

I'd like so see someone hate another b/c he or she likes a certain color.

11. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

I hate Johnny Depp too! I would still have to choose him over Jorja because I am straight but Orlando Bloom all the way!

12. ancienttomb

ancienttomb CSI Level Three

Tanks for your comforts, forensicgirl and sissi59100 :), I appreciate that.

This world is far away from ideal "live and let live" world, people persecute each other for worthless things all the time.

Frankly, China is half-heaven for homosexuals, Nobody will shoot you, The government neither approves or disapproves it...at most some people will look at you with curiosity, guess my partner was super-sensitive and overthink.

And Forensicsgirl, you ex-girlfriend was in self-denial, she couldn't accepted her true ego in her heart because those craps that the society inculcated into her....sad.

13. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Angelina is okay. Though she is the hottest hollywood star for the moment. I would actually prefer Jennifer Aniston or anyone else. Heh.

I won't say I'm constantly surrounded by gays but they are a part of my circle of friends. They always come to me for either advise or for solace because people have hurt them due to their SO. It's not more sympathy that I felt but instead, it's rage towards the society for such prejudice on another human being. Oh and gotta bring lottsa tissue or at least a hankie.

As for suicide, it's not a good way to end a life. I once had to stay over a friend's house because I was afraid she might do something to herself. Luckily, she didn't and she slept like a baby :p.

14. jenakapt

jenakapt Lab Technician

I agree totally, I know too many people who ahve died in this way, family members and other wise.

An a poll was recently conducted in Irelad and it found that two-thirds of gay men had tried to commit suicide, or harmed themselves in some way. I just think it's so sad.

15. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I'm SO against Homophobia. Just let everyone do what they wanna do! Be who they wanna be! If you're gay, I don't care, I can still care about you. Gay people rule!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.