Grade "Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 7, 2009.

?

How would you grade Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. B

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Not bad, I'm looking forward for the arc it is supposed to end in episode 9

Poor Flack is really affected with Angell' death but I like the new look more casual even if it's sad to see him grieving over her

Danny well I'm little lost too about the time jump In Epilogue we saw Lindsay with a very little Lucy and now she is ten month I don't really get it. But I supposed they don't want to keep Danny in that chair during all the season so it has to be realistic. Am I the only one to see tears in Lindsay' eyes when she says she doesn't mind :confused::confused: Does Lindsay have feeling now ??? well I'm please to see the improvement.

Hawkes ...nice

2. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

Better than last week's -no that it was difficult-, but I still don't like it that much. The case was fine, although I wonder if crazy psycho killers who like playing cat and mouse with the police are really that common in the States. But, of course, Mac wouldn't have gotten his compass otherwise and we all know there nothing Mac likes better than chasing an evil-doer that's teasing him. Whatever.

I agree with you, GregNickRyanFan, I also had the feeling that woman is dead. The guy's delusional and that's one way to show the audience.

Can DL get any more boring? *yawn* I'm used to getting the weekly cheese serving, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it. Also, is Lucy Messer kinda like Renesmee Cullen or what? She's aging at the speed of light! She'll join the lab and befriend the perky, obnoxious blonde by the end of the season!

Haylen is downright nasty. Nothing can stop her, she'd be a great villain playing tricks from inside the lab. That would be the only way to save her as a character. I hate how petulant and pushy she is, like the lab can't function properly without her help. Mac should have gotten a restraining order instead of hiring her.

Poor Don :( Eddie is doing a great job. I spent all the episode wanting to hug him. Just hug him, guys with a scruff are not my cup of tea except for Adam and other few exceptions.

ETA (spoilerish):
    Reading the info from the episode in this side, the supporting killer's wife/girlfriend/whatever is called Calliope Eckhart. The initials in the compass found in the pocket of the first victim were C.E. A coincidence? Or it means something?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

It didn't hit me until later that they had used those terms to describe her. The show has flirted before with the guys' opinions of girls...there were the cheerleaders that Danny and Flack were salivating over in PF. If you want to stretch it a bit there were also the Suicide Girls in Oedipus Hex but those two incidences were showcasing girls that usually get that type of response.

I'm wondering if they are taking the route of the men not taking Haylen seriously as an educated professional woman, which sets up the scenario of her :rolleyes: "wowing" them with her intellect and keen insight :rolleyes:.

Personally I don't like her enough yet to care what they called her. But I know that the team has never been disrespectful of either Stella or Lindsay so I take this as an anomoly for a reason we haven't seen play out yet.

4. marialisa

marialisa Victim

I wish it didn't, but this 'timeline' stuff really bugs me :wtf:

Given that Angell's birthday is in February that would (just about) tie in with Lucy Messer having reached 10 months old (although that would mean we are now in February 2010!) However, it doesn't tie in with the date on the envelope Mac received with the compass in it, nor that apparently only two weeks have passed since blonde-irritating-job-snatching-woman found the bloody print in the elevator.

It shouldn't bother me, yet it does.

That said there were some redeeming aspects to the episode although let's get the other irritants out of the way first. I'll keep it brief because I know I'm rehashing what others have already said...

Another serial killer in New York? Really? And they want the police to 'understand' what's going on so they send them messages? That's a new twist. Still, it gives Mac another chance to take it personally... *yawn*. I love Gary Sinise but I'm getting so sick of the sanctimonious, 'I'm always right' Mac. It makes what should be a good character one dimensional and boringly predictable, and smacks of lazy, 'cookie cutter' writing.

Onto the better aspects of the episode - Flack and Adam.

Adam's 'regression' to the more awkward 'geeky' Adam as a result of irritating blonde woman's introduction to the lab was one of the episode's highlights. I love the more confident Adam that we have seen in the previous two episodes, but equally love that the underlying geek has re-emerged now he feels under stress.

Then we come to Flack. The stubble and the untucked shirt - the whole 'I don't give a c%$£' look - works well as an outward sign of how Flack, previously always so perfectly turned out (even if the ties were a little dodgy), has been affected by Angell's death. On one level he is functioning in his job (he realised the significance behind the wording of the 'suicide' note) even if his humour is a little darker than before, but still Eddie Cahill manages to show us how Flack's whole world has been knocked off balance by Jess's death. It is an impressive piece of acting on EC's part.

If it wasn't for the timeline screw up and a one dimensional Mac I'd say this was a great episode (although at the moment I'm not finding myself gripped by the case but hopefully that will change as it progresses).

B

5. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

I LOVED this episode! It was thrilling, funny, sad and creepy at the same time!

I did not like the Mac vs. Evil Killer stuff. It's overused. BLAHHH. Besides that, the Mac parts were okay.

Well well, so Stella had a penpal in Ohio? NICE! hehe...
    I didn't like her so much in the beginning of the episode, because she sounded like she was reading directly from a manuscript. BAD STELLA, BAD!

Danny is just Danny. Nothing special from him this time, but I DID like the exercise thing... :p

Lindsay is actually a great character this season! I like her now! : D

The "this is gonna be good" line from Sheldon was hilarious! And it's great that he don't give Haylen so much respect. :devil: Nice... *EVIL CACKLE*
    Too bad that he has to do ALL the lab work though.

SID :D He's BACK! YAY! And i was completely OMFG!!! when Mac ran down to autopsy to check if he was okay and then when he was okay then just: pheeeeeeeeew... :)

Adam is WAY too cute! And I think he and Haylen would make a great couple. Haha, evil job-stealing blonde was WAY too funny! And when Sheldon told him that Mac had hired Haylen, that reaction was sooo funny! Adam is just the best!

Don's line after chasing down that card guy was funny! : D But it was the only funny thing Don did in this episode. The scene with him and Cliff was great! And the scene with the flashback... so sad, but still so great. And I like his new look! :thumbsup: He just gets hotter and hotter by each episode! *thinks for a minute*... I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FINALE THEN :D

Haylen is a bit annoying. But I can handle it, since she doesn't get that much screentime. *smirks* I liked her scenes with Adam though.

I gave this episode an A+ since it was just pure AWESOME!!!!

6. csinynut

csinynut Hit and Run

Hey guys, just tought I'd give my two cents. Haven't posted in a while.

Gave the episode B-

Wasn't great but it wasn't bad either, it did hold my interest. The latter half was much better than the beginning.

Few tidbits.

Stella was lovely in this episode. Especially the look she gave Flack when he left the scene. When she said "he used to shave everyday", there was something about her face that spoke volumes.

Danny/ Lindsay. Their first scene was great together. But i have to say enough already. We get the point. Despite the circumstances, they seem to be in "happy place". Danny isn't wallowing in self-pity and Lindsay is supportive. OK, got it, now let's move on.

Hawkes : I guess the subtitle for this episode could be : The Sheldon Hawkes Show in different poses and subtle degrees of glaring at stuff. I Kept expecting to see him, standing tall, feet apart, fists on hips, with a cape blowing in the wind.

The new girl made me think of Pamela Anderson trying to look good in white lab coat.

Adam, funny and adorable.

Flack is fascinating to watch. Mister Cahill made this episode for me (and Skeet Ulrich). The smile he gave to Angell's father at the end of their conversation was scary, full of hurt and pain. Most of his acting in this episode is so subtle that i am going to have to watch it again to make sure i havent missed anything.

I dont think Skeet Ulrich had much to do in this episode, but he's always fun to watch. Intriguing character. Love the last shot in the smoke, made me think of The Exorcist.

There.

7. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Some random thoughts:

- The beginning reminded me of LV miniature killer, the camera angles, the music, the color filters

- What's going on with NY this season? The episode was almost as boring as "Blacklist". Poor Skeet Ulrich was underused. :(

- Why did everybody seem so unattached, so lost, so uninterested?

- D/L scenes: *gag*. Way too much again. :scream:

- Haylen: meh

- Lack of team interaction again

- Lack of Danny/Flack again

- Lack of Sid

I was going to give it a D, but Eddie's presence and seeing again my favourite Flack/Angell scene made me change it to a C+, but then I remembered D/L so my final grade is C-

I'm definitely not intrigued to see where this is going to. I'm really beginning to lose my faith in this show, where are "personal stories" that Pam Veasey promised? I don't want the characters to show up unshaved/scruffy to work so we know they are having a hard time. I want to see real interaction and more drama.

Some babies walk before the one year mark. I was walking at 9 months :lol:

Problem is, there's no way she's 10 months old. I'm too lazy to remember dates, but even I realized that the time lapse between her birth and last episode is not even close to 10m :rolleyes:

Edit:
    I hope Haylen/Adam is not happening. Haylen seemed interested. That would made me stop watching the show

8. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

After scanning through the episode again, I noticed something.

After Mac recieves the second compass he sends Flack and his men off to pound the pavement while he discusses this new development with Hawkes, Lindsay, and Stella. After revealing his plan Stella asks "Mac, is this a hunt for a second victim or a killer?" Her tone and expressions subtly point out that is a waste of time considering how little evidence they have to go on.

Hmm, perhaps we're not the only ones fed up with sactimonius Mac...

9. rockyshadow

rockyshadow Hit and Run

Mac's behavior lately makes me think that that is how he's coping with what happened last season, he's definitely worse than he's ever been.

Haylen seems shoehorned into the show.

Some of Hawkes' dialogue does seem a little out of character.

Skeet Ulrich better have a better storyline coming up, I've never been a fan of ongoing suspects on NY, they never really come to a satisfying ending.

I'm not surprised about Lucy Messer's age being raised by so much, she is a child on a television series after all.

I liked DL's scene and like them together. Danny seems very determined right now and I definitely prefer that over wallowing in self pity.

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I was a little less than entertained by this episode. The case/arc didn't quite grab me the way I'd have expected, but it might later once it unravels more.
    Skeet was pretty on the mark as a serial killer, but I was constantly distracted by the surroundings in his home & trying to figure out why he was stuck in the old days, why he was killing these specific people, and everything else that seemed to be missing.
    The woman who played the girlfriend/wife/ghost mother possibly? was the youngest daughter on Charles in Charge. :lol: I found myself singing the theme song & giggling every time she appeared.

Enough of the not-so-thrilling case, onto the characters.
    I don't think I like Haylen all that much - she's rubbing me the wrong way but I can't really pinpoint why I don't like her....I just don't. I'll look over her I suppose.

Danny/Lindsay/soon to be 5 year old Lucy - I can't say it makes me cringe, but I can't say I enjoy it either. As many before has said, it's just pretty boring anymore. I do like that Danny is hellbent on getting out of the chair. I don't care for whiny men, even if they do have good reason, so I quite enjoyed the fact that he showed some will-power in this episode.

Adam - "have you seen the cute but evil job-stealing blonde anywhere?" :guffaw: He's pure awesomeness, & I loved his attempt to outdo her in front of Mac. I don't think he has much to worry about, but I'm very curious to see how/if any of his job security fears will tie into his one-night romp with Stella.

Flack.....I honestly did not ever think tptb would hold onto that much continuity*shock*! It's nice to see though. Pretty heartbreaking scene there with the Jess/Flack flashback. I'm looking forward to see how far they take it before letting him pull through. Nice piece of meat for Eddie to chew on, & he's doing fabulous with the material. :)

I'm going with a B, only because the arc hasn't yet tickled my fancy. ;)

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, i'm a mac fan but even i thought that, it did seem a little silly!

this will only make sense to uk viewers but hey - i like "nemesis of the week", i will use it, but it makes me want to sing it in the tune of "tv highlight of the week" from harry hill's tv burp. the new series of that starts soon and i doubt i'll be able to watch it without singing "nemesis of the week" :lol: [/ot]

ok, here's what i thought. i actually *really* liked it, i gave it an A. i thought it was the best ep of the season so far, it was kind of intriguing and i liked that they made it quite creepy (maybe the arc will finish around halloween?) - the incidental music and the opening scenes were almost straight from a horror/suspense film, and the bit when they were shining torches in a big forest of plants, in the dark with loads of dust was very creepy and atmospheric. i felt it could perhaps have jogged along a bit faster, but as someone else said, i'm willing to cut some slack and see how the arc develops.

on what's been said before: lindsay/lucy - i nearly choked when she said 10 months. i was like "eh?" it just makes no sense at all *unless* there has been a long gap (a few months) between between blacklist and lat/long, which doesn't really make sense - although it could be feasible because haylen was saying she didn't know if mac remembered her, and he said she'd sent more than 3 resumés (he referred to "the first 3" i believe) AND she'd had time to apply for and get that grant, so it is possible. maybe that was the point of the details in that conversation, to say "hey! it's been a while!" although as has been said, the postmark kind of knocks that idea on the head...

i actually really liked the conversation between mac and haylen - it was obvious that he thought she was some kind of professional stalker but i think he probably liked her persistence and resourcefulness - going and getting a grant so she could take a negative element out of the equation was a pretty savvy thing to do and it's actually the kind of thing i could see mac (or anyone on the team really) doing - y'know, finding a way around a problem. the bit with them at the end was quite funny - it was like she's mac's little helper :D, he'll be pulling her out of top hats and sawing her in half soon!

i really liked adam's reaction to haylen being hired (although didn't hawkes say every 2nd week, part time, which is hardly a ringing endorsement, more of a trial) - i could understand his frustration, knowing that he almost lost his job, i think the sooner he knows that she's on a grant and therefore not being paid out of the direct nypd budget, he'll be less defensive. i really like the competition nature of how they work as well - i know we saw it already with adam and kendall but it was nice to see again.

as for flack, that scene with cliff was just great, i really felt for him, he did a great job. it's easy to see that this will tie in with his deterioration, i thought they did it really well. i was also surprised (in a good way) that stella was the one to show concern - after last week it was nice to see. as for what mac said, i don't think he was being uncaring but as has been discussed elsewhere (blacklist i think and mac thread), he's not an outwardly emotional guy and i think he thinks that because he just puts on the brave face and gets through things, everyone else is capable of doing that too. i think he's well aware that something's wrong with flack, but i think either he doesn't want to interfere, or he is too emotionally contained to know what to say (just because he went through something similar doesn't make it so) and also he is so wary of either letting other people see his emotions or getting involved in theirs that he just does what *he* would do: brave face, gritted teeth, just. keep. swimming.

12. harmier

harmier Victim

But he is crazy. That's sort of the point.

The woman he's with is obviously some sort of hallucination. I'm guessing that it's his mom based on the clothes she's wearing. They looked like they might come from the '60s and all of the material (astro turf, the paper) are from the '60s.

Anyway, everything he's doing looks like it's based on some sort of compulsion that he can't stop.

I think they're amused because Adam is so awesome that he doesn't need to be worried. The disconnect is what makes it funny to them.

Of course they haven't had much interaction between them. They're obviously building toward Stella/Adam, but they're taking their time like they are with all of the other storylines. And I like that. While I want them to deal with the relationship and have Stella and Adam ride off into the sunset, the focus should be about solving crimes. It shouldn't be CSI or Without a Trace. :p Of course, YMMV with those two examples.

I don't see the problem. I've heard about grants like these are given out for various fields. People apply for them. Some people get them, some people don't. I'm guessing the point is that this grant was given by the state as an incentive for skilled people to stay in New York state and give them them freedom to be work in crime labs that might not be able to normally afford them for one reason or another.

I'm not sure how it works. The lab gets it's money from the city, which gets money from the federal government, the state government and local taxes. That's how I understand it, at least. I guess the money could go to the city, then to the crime lab and then Haylen gets paid. I don't know.

He actually says, "You haven't seen a cute, but evil job-stealing blonde have you?" So...no. It's Sheldon who called her a "hottie", which was odd behavior. But I think it might be due to his insomnia. I think I heard him yawn in the teaser and the makeup department definitely made him look like he needed some sleep.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh yeah i forgot to say that - yeah, he's clearly not right in the head, i assumed she was his mother too, although something about the way they were touching and the fact he had a wedding ring suggested she *might* be his wife. of course it's possible that he's confusing the two.

i was curious as to what those pills he took were. they *looked* like lithium tabs but i wouldn't be surprised if they were actually some kind of antipsychotic (although i've never taken one that looked like that, and i've taken most of them!) - i'm assuming here that the strange flashes and things that we saw were supposed to indicate that he's having a psychotic episode. what would be strange in that sense is that he took them apparently just before he went out to do the deed, and those pills generally work fairly quickly, they would stop the distorted visions, seeing things, hearing things, or at least tone them down. it confused me that he'd have the psychotic features, then take pills to reduce the psychotic features, and then do the thing that the psychotic features made him do. it doesn't make sense, i think it would be that the psychotic features made him do these things, and then when he took the pills, that all calmed down.

yeah, there are lots of these grants about, especially in scientific fields - quite often they're provided by the government, to save money on a longer term basis. actually this would be a classic example - the nypd provide a valuable service, the crime lab is crucial but budgets are stretched, so a bit of government money can step in to provide someone on a research/training basis, which then allows (a) new eyes on current technology or someone to research/test new eadvances, (b) an easing of the strain on the department, and (c) a new recruit who is well trained and has some experience who can continue working in that capacity (whether it be in the same PD or not) in the future - they can mould the trainee a bit.

sometimes they're paid for by private firms as well, either for philanthropic purposes or research purposes, like a sponsor, and universities often do such things too (although usually with the cash coming from a private sponsor).

14. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I viewed Haylen's grant as something like an internship, only one that's paid for by the city government, rather than the NYPD crime lab. It's not like Haylen went for money that would be better spent elsewhere -- they need good forensic scientists in the lab, and the grant was obviously up for grabs, regardless of how stretched the budget was. If it was too stretched to hire anyone, the city/NYPD/whoever wouldn't have made the grant available at all. I think as far as Mac and the lab are concerned, it's like they took on a free volunteer/intern. I thought that was pretty clever of her.

ETA:

I completely missed Hawkes' "hottie" comment. Did catch Adam's "cute" one, though -- I think they're firmly trying to establish Haylen as hot :rolleyes: Maybe trying to go with the stereotypical 'they think she's just a pretty face until She Proves Them Wrong LOL' storyline. Personally, I like the fact that Haylen has more than a hint of ego to her...right now, it's one of the few things that's making her seem like an actual character to me.

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I haven't even watched the whole episode (or even half of it) yet and I already give it an F. They met Haylen Becall a "couple if weeks ago" and Lucy is 10 months old???? Plus, I live next door to a couple who both work in labs. My step-dad talked to the guy who is a supervisor in the Mpls. crime lab because my niece who's in college might be interested in working in a lab. He says forensic degrees don't mean jack shit when hiring at the lab. They're looking for people with strong science backgrounds, so Haylen having a Masters in Forensics wouldn't get her a job over people who have Master's degrees in a scientific field.

If TPTB isn't even going to try, then I'm not even going to watch the whole episode before I pass judgement on them.

Too bad, because the Flack story line looks good. It's a shame I won't be watching it because TPTB can't even get their timelines and basic facts believable. Add to it that Danny and Lindsay are now joined at the hip and are sharing Cutesy Personal Family Time at the lab and this show might as well be cancelled right now.