Criminal Minds #2: How May We Save Your Ass Today?

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by sandersidle, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electra

electra Pathologist

I am with the ones that would not want anything romantic between Hotch and Emily.I do like ships but not for Criminal Minds.I like so much the team interactions that I would not want to miss that.

Last episode was great. I truly cared for the Unsub becouse he had good reasons to be so damaged.And that's just me but I wanted him to kill the father.Hotch PTSD story is interesting too.Not even Hotch can act like if nothing happened after his experience with Foyet.

2. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I haven't been a part of the conversation here, but I thought I'd trot in and say... I've never really rooted for any 'ship on Criminal Minds (except perhaps just a tiny bit for Derek & Emily, though I'm sure that's not really gonna happen), and the idea of Hotch/Emily really threw me for a loop because I'd NEVER thought of them being together. It's just such a strange pairing to me. I see them as big brother/little sister, definitely not boyfriend/girlfriend.

Also, about Rossi having a PTSD event, didn't he brush off a fan at a book signing only to find that she was murdered the same night? I thought he had massive guilt about not giving her the time of day... anyone remember that episode?

It's not necessarily a PTSD event, but still, it's something.

Also on the subject of Rossi..... I don't want to tick off any fans of the character, and I do like the character, but the way Mantegna plays Rossi screams to me "I'M ACTING!!" I completely forget that I'm watching actors recite their scripted lines and run where they've been directed to run when I watch the rest of the cast, but with Mantegna... yeah, like I said, all I really get is an "I'M ACTING!!" vibe.

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ tbh i'm not generally much of a shipper - if they happen they happen and if they don't, i don't mind (even if i do sometimes post in ship threads!) - i only wondered if there were plans for a ship because i dunno, those scenes, especially in his apartment, kind of seemed like they might be leading up to something. i think that's a problem with tv shows generally nowadays, if you see a male and a female character having more than one close (emotionally) scene, you (well, i) automatically start wondering when they're going to get it on because the writers so often only put those scenes in if they're leading up to something. it makes me feel like one of pavlov's dogs :lol:

for the record i love the chemistry on CM as it is so i'm quite happy if there is no ship at all :D

i do know exactly what yuou mean about rossi. it's weird, i didn't like him at all at first but now when i watch old gideon eps *he* seems slightly wrong. it's strange how that happens. i like joe mantegna generally but yeah, he does seem to overplay it a little bit sometimes.

4. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I love Rossi, but on occasion I feel what you're talking about. My favorite Rossi/Mantegna thing was in Big Wheel when Rossi's the first person to realize that the number 29 just might have something to do with the kid's birthday. My dad and I always joke that it's just Mantegna showing exasperation over having to say the stupidest line ever because the team should've realized it twenty minutes earlier.

Ginnna-- Post #791:
    :D I tend not to miss Emily- or Dave-related things. :lol:

5. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Woopsy doopsy, you're right, you did mention that episode. Mah bad!

I looked through FF.net in the Criminal Minds section, and there was a LOT of "Romance" stories. So crazy! This is one of the few shows in which I detect little to no shippiness, yet folks have Emily getting with J.J., Reid with Gideon, Reid with Morgan, Rossi with Emily, etc etc etc... whoa.

6. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I avoid FanFiction like the plague for pretty much everything but the occasional CSI:NY or Warriors fic. The "filter out" option only works if you know the 5000 terms for ship-related fics. And then sometimes people don't warn about ships... so I just avoid them altogether or write my own and get lost in to appease my new-CM-less boredom. :lol:

I also usually avoid IMDb, but that's mostly because the IMDb boards usually break into this:
    10% Troll
    45% Vocal Shippers
    15% Quiet Shippers
    20% Non-Shippers That Just Talk About The Show
    5% SPOILER OR NIT-PICKY THAT POST IN ALL CAPS AND SOMETIEMS KANT SPEL
    5% OT or advertisements

So obviously non-shipper, grammar-supporting me doesn't go there. :lol:

(Speaking of OT... anyway...)

I suppose in a way it's easy to ship on Criminal Minds... the difference is that a lot of people notice the cohesion and friendship and closeness of the entire team, whereas others focus on the same things for two specific characters.

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i always used to but suddenly i seem to be reading a lot of it (CSI:NY only really).

i agree - to keep the CSI:NY comparison going - on there there are clearly defined pairs of characters, which may or may not be intentional: obviously danny/lindsay and flack/angell were intentional but mac/stella is not concrete, but it does seem pretty obvious that they have some kind of ship, even if not a romantic one. on CM, everyone interacts almost equally with everyone else, they all seem to get scenes as pairs with various others and as a whole group. for instance in 6x02, reid had a lovely scene with garcia, which as far as i recall doesn't happen an awful lot - it's not to say they're suddenly a ship, but it's nice that they can all be seen getting along with all the others. hmm, that came out really badly, my english has deserted me.

8. electra

electra Pathologist

I also noticed the scene between Emily and Hotch.For a moment ,I believed that they were going to hug or kiss.Especially if you considered that Emily was the first to know that Hotch was missing and like Rossi said,she insisted on picking him at his apartament.I will keep my fingers crossed that it will NEVER happen.The team is perfect as it is.

I am anxious about tomorrow episode.This will be the first one that I will watch Live.I watched season 1-4 from DVDs and missed the first two of this season.

9. Bryn Elizabeth

Bryn Elizabeth Rookie

Let me start off my saying I actually plan on paying attention tonight, so I may actually have something to contribute later.

I read a lot of fanfiction... But mostly Leverage and Bones, and I write a lot. I don't read too many CM fics, though... They just don't usually seem all that great.

I like Rossi a lot, and I think Joe Mantegna is a good actor with a wide range. Occasionally, he does have a line or something that could be better, but nothing has ever really jumped out at me like, I'M ACTING with him. And now you're going to make me notice it. kay thanks.

I am becoming an anti-shipper... Because I'm getting less and less sure about what would happen if Morgan and Garcia ACTUALLY got together. Part of me thinks it would be awesome, and part of me does not. Most of me thinks Hotch/Anybody is weird because I think of him as Mom.

I agree with the CSI:NY comparison *lisasimpson* made. On most shows, characters are paired off right at the start. On CM, they aren't. Everybody is friends with everybody and everybody is there for everybody. Sure, people tend to gravitate to certain people more (Garcia and Reid go to Morgan, Emily to Rossi...), but there are no clear pairings.

I love how original CM is.

And, now to reply to The Obsessive One:

1) It's the whole All-Knowing thing. I am Bones Obsessive One, so we're pretty even, I guess.

2) Agreed. Someone else will have to keep everyone in line. And, we'd have to deal with the lack of knowledge. Okay, he needs to get hurt NOW, so we all know what would happen to the team dynamic.

3) Technically, they WERE in bed, but yelled at me for ten minutes before they went there about going to bed on time and blah, blah, blah. Because I WILL fall asleep in class.

Anyway, I'm excited for a Rossi episode. Only thing better? Emily episodes. Or Morgan. Or maybe Garcia. JJ's good too. Okay, anyone other than Reid.

Wow, that was the most random, rambly post ever. Sorry guys.

10. rockyshadow

rockyshadow Hit and Run

I love all the characters on this show equally and would hate it if they made anyone a couple. This show is amazing the way it is. I also don't mind if an episode is a certain character centric, no matter which one it is.

Only about five hours until I can see the latest episode. I'm so excited!

11. Half

Half CSI Level Two

~Lady, that’s never a good thing. See? Should’ve listened too me, now shouldn’t you’ve?
    ~Aw. Poor Hotch. (It’s Goetz! Don’t trust him! Hee.)
    ~Rossi, shut up and do your job. Hiding doesn’t suit you. (I’m allowed to yell at him. He was a bit “face it and get over it” to Emily and Hotch, so I declare him not allowed to avoid Personal Storylines. *g*)
    ~Ha! Reid got pwned.
    ~Yo! Emily! Go work with Rossi so that I can make the shippers stop tormenting me. (You know I love you all, but the conversation makes me cringe. Don’t mind me.)
    ~“Sawing” Well that’s a pleasant thought.
    ~I just noticed that it’s almost like Emily and JJ switched hairstyles. Emily no longer has bangs, but JJ does.
    ~Sexting. That’s seriously the stupidest invention ever. I feel ashamed to be a teenager.
    ~I notice that Rossi seems to get more and more uncomfortable with recognition.
    ~“Contacts?” “Do we want to know?” Hee.
    ~*snicker* Was Rossi in the mob?
    ~“I work with a kid that could solve this thing in five minutes.”
    ~My dad called the “crimes against children” thing about three seconds before they actually said it. I am proud.
    ~It’s always Morgan and Emily trying to interview the kids. Occasionally Hotch.
    ~“You better bring the Marine Corp.” I bet Rossi’s going to go by himself, because that’s so Rossi.
    ~Counter surveillance, huh?
    ~HEE! Reid’s all cocky, but Garcia gets the answer.
    ~Oh, Dave. Now you know how Hotch felt in Omnivore.
    ~I blame counter surveillance. Or, you know, the fact that they’re wearing vests with FBI in big white letters that can be read from thirty feet away.
    ~I always wonder what the people not currently in a conversation are talking about. Like the rest of the team while Rossi is talking to Garcia and Reid. Are they actually talking about something that could pertain to the case, for the lip-readers among us? Or are they talking about what the caterers are bringing for lunch in an hour?
    ~Ooh. This isn’t going to end well, is it? Dave, what did you do?
    ~“I know that too.” Okay, so the mini-rivalry? Is hilarious.
    ~Skill, Dave. Skill. And for once I’m not being sarcastic.
    ~David Rossi, what did you do?
    ~Little late, guys.
    ~The blood spray on JJ kind of freaked me out for a second. God damn.
    ~I liked Emily bringing JJ coffee as the younger agent huddles under a blanket. She’s seen people die before, and she’s killed people, but she’s not as used to it as the others and I don’t think she’s ever been hit by (that much) blood spatter before.
    ~Aw. I kind of like that they didn’t make Rossi some guy that someone has an affair with. Also, 12 years old? Wait, we’re actually getting legitimate background on David Rossi? Is this the apocalypse?
    ~Honestly? Good for Sean. I’m not sure I care.

Thrill kills! Haven’t had any of them for a while, unless I’m starting to lose my touch.

12. Bryn Elizabeth

Bryn Elizabeth Rookie

So, I tweeted during the episode. I'll put it in spoiler tags, I guess.

Tweet #1-
    Oooh... Who is Emma? Rossi's life is interesting. Maybe he DOES have PTSD. Imagine that. ​

Tweet #2-
    Morgan is talking to the therapist Compassionate Black Dude to Compassionate Black Dude. And, you can really tell, feeling sad for the kids.

Tweet #3-
    And, yes, I am Live Tweeting through this episode.​

Tweet #4-
    "An attack against you is an attack against all of us." Love it.​

Tweet #5-
    Hahaha. Contract Killer. I think that's what I'll be when I grow up, if the whole Profiler thing doesn't work out.​

Tweet #6-
    JJ is covered in blood! And, for a moment, I thought this was the Rossi Injury. Nevermind. Poor Jayje.​

Tweet #7-
    Rossi loved someone, and lost. PTSD. kay thanks. And it's NICE PTSD. That makes me sad.​

Tweet #8-
    Okay, so Reid annoyed Garcia, but I actually liked him in this episode. As long as he isn't Always Central PTSD, I could like him. Possibly.​

Tweet #9-
    So now I'm waiting for Alex's opinions to send mine. Do ya'll like the Live Tweeting? Or do I annoy you?​

Tweet #10-
    Oh yayz. Thrill Killers Who Videotape are always fin to watch before bed. Please note the sarcasm at the creepiness.​

I shall post more when others start contributing. (Alex)

By the way, Oh Obsessive One- The name change is confusing. FYI.

Sorry for the weird formatting. More tomorrow.

bah. I post and so has Alex. I'll talk to you later.

13. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Always beat you to it, kid. Always beat you to it. :D (ETA: Sorry about the "kid" thing, it's an impulse for anyone even slightly younger than me. Proof: my cousin is only 8 months younger than me, but I call her "kid" all the time.)
    Sorry that my Halloween name confuses you. You should just look for the Rossi icon. It won't be changing for a while.
    BTW: You have Twitter and you didn't tell me? Dude, Instant Message CM Tweeting between East Coasters! Come on, it'll be fun!

Okay, so I love that Rossi gets guilt/PTSD that is legitimate, something that could easily happen to anyone. I find it a *bit* convenient that Rossi is connected to the first case in his home town, but they do that all the time on this show.

Also, one thing- Rossi was all like "I don't know if I can work on this case" in the beginning, and then seems completely fine with it through the rest of the episode. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  14. texmex327

texmex327 Pathologist

I kinda paid attention and I kinda didn't.... :( I know, I am a bad TV watcher...

I loved Garcia's line...your my bitch now...hee hee...

I felt bad for Rossi...I loved and lost too...I just wanted to hug him

I felt bad for Hotch too...he missed his baby's birthday...I want to hug him too

I just wanna hug Morgan, I don't think I need an explanation as to why :devil:

The blood all over JJ's face...holy crap, that frightened me for a second...

Next week looks good...

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Aww poor Hotch missing Jack's bday. :(

Garcia to Reid: You're my b*tch now. :lol:

Sexting... I was wondering when that was gonna appear on one of these crime shows. :lol: By the way, stupid stupid word! :lol:

:lol: Garcia's getting mad at Reid for not letting her talk. Those two are so bro/sis like. :lol:

:lol: Garcia got the crossword answer before Reid.

Well, Rossi's friend sure didn't last long.

:sigh: Guy with Irish accent is kind of hot. :lol: And the accent is hot.

Heh... I knew Rossi was lying to the judge about sleeping with the judge's wife. :lol: Well played, Dave. :)

Dave's speech to Hotch... does anyone else think they're gearing up for Hotch to leave the BAU? That's what it sounded like to me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.