Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Ghawazee, Aug 3, 2009.

?

Choose New Stellarina Thread!

Poll closed Aug 10, 2009.
  1. Stella/Melina #7: 'Cause even Athene and Aphrodite worship her.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Stella/Melina #7: The perfect combination of brains, looks, and personality.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Stella/Melina #7: a goddess came down to earth !

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Stella/Melina #7:Athene in her mortal form.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stella/Melina #7: Zeus' gift to Hollywood.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stella/Melina#7 'Cause she is the angel that enlighten our hearts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Stella/Melina #7 'Cause everything sounds better in Greek

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Stella/Melina #7: Because she´s the Greek Goddess of Crimonology

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Stella/Melina #7Because she´s the heart and soul of the CSI-team

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. Stella/Melina#7 Because Lady Liberty speaks in Greek!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  11. Stella/Melina#7 Because she is the light and soul of NY Lab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Stella/kelina#7 Because we all love Rambo Stella

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I don't think it's in the least surprising that the show has spent time and focus (in the freakin' opening episodes of the season, no less :p) on introducing a new character, nor that it's general mallet tendencies were compounded doubly in considering a potential new audience who may be less familiar with the show due the different slot in airing.

That there wasn't something more specifically addressed to Stella's departure was a bit disappointing, but I was more put off by how it was used to basically service Lindsay's arc than by the brevity of her mention. I think it's also appropriate that the show doesn't spend overmuch time addressing a character who is no longer present, especially when, for whatever reasons, MK was not available to participate in an onscreen exit. As far as respect for the character goes, writing Stella a promotion isn't a low blow, a cheap shot, or what I would consider in any way degrading. That the show had also been hoping for a better resolution in addressing Stella's departure is something to keep in mind.

a) I'm curious what they had written in general for the first half a dozen episodes. While dis-satisfaction may have been an issue, it would also seem to be a bit presumptuous to think that potential character direction was the sole and driving factor in MK's decision.

b) it's funny how no one seems to think the hook-up was demeaning to Adam :p

c) I think all the characters have taken hits due odd writing decisions at various points. I still see them as symptomatic of larger show (and general tv) issues. I found the Frankie arc devolved into something rather predictable and unpalatable in how Stella was used, for example. The bit with Adam was unexpected and left rather unexplained, but was not destroying of her. I also think the brief commentary between them after the fact was very Stella. (Relative, I still think Messer's seen the greatest shift from who he once was, and not in a good way).

d) I understand why some are intent on looking at possible points of contention in why MK may have left, but there may be merit in giving equal credence to the positives of what she may have been making a move toward instead. Mebbe, just mebbe, new projects held an irresistible lure as much as there was any "yuck" as part of the equation.

While it may be convenient to attempt to polarize responses into certain camps, I resist that as much as Bandwagoneering of any sort. I respect individual opinions vary, which is why I dislike seeing any boxed and labelled. I offer myself as an example of someone who likes MK, Stella, SW, and Jo.

If Stella leaving has led to a disinclination to watch the show, that's more than fair in itself. But I'd also hope that the show might be given a chance and viewed in providing current general commentary or criticism.

(I was of two minds of whether to include this in my post, especially as vegaslights has already commented. Apologies if this has overstepped).

We do not know how it all went down, or what all factored into the timing nor the decision itself. It's also essentially none of our business.

I believe in MK's judgement too. Which means that it sounds like she has some good projects underway to look forward to. And also that CSI:NY, the cast, and the crew, are additionally worthy of my support. I also doubt she'd wish ill on those who were her working family for six years.

-

As for her appearance on Regis & Kelly. A bud once again sent me a link to what he'd streamed, and no I can't post it. I'm sure someone will have a proper link up very soon :p. (And since the interview has aired I'm assuming no spoiler box is required).

It was fun to see her again. The first bit was chatting about family, the latter briefly about her time on Providence, broadway, NY, writing, and on supporting the Komen campaign against breast cancer, and the three t-shirts she designed with her daughters as part of it.

I didn't know she'd written a comedy during season two, which was actually bought but not picked up to air. Seems like writing in S5 further fed her desire to undertake other things after being in one place for a substantial period of time. It did sound as if the lure of writing & other projects were too much to resist, one of which may be on air sooner rather than later, to go by her tease.

She looked great, and happy. A short, fun clip. :)

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Some brief things from Melina's visit on Regis and Kelly:

- Could possibly be returning to TV sooner than you think.
    - Has a few projects she's working on.
    - She chose to leave CSI: NY.
    - Visited Greece over the summer.
    - Wrote a Pilot, but didn't get picked up.

And there's your answer, folks.

3. ~Kassandra~

~Kassandra~ Hit and Run

Hey guys!!

It sounds like a good interview. I am going crazy trying to find it :)

Can't wait for someone to post it!!!! <3

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Wasn't she so charming and delightful? I can't hardly bare Regis or Kelly, but did wait to see her. So apparently she was the one who wanted to leave, and mentioned how great the 6 seasons she was on were. she sure adores her daughters, and how she raved about Greek men and her hubby:p

5. ~Kassandra~

~Kassandra~ Hit and Run

YES! Ok so someone posted it on YouTube!!! I don't know if I can just post the link but just search Melina Kanakaredes - National Breast Cancer Awareness Month *Interview (Oct.7/10)

I love her dress! And it's good to hear her say that it was her choice to leave. But I am going to miss her!

6. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I guess this will reveal itself as the season unfolds.

I guess this is where we differ... kinda... Why Lindsey as the exiting vehicle and not Mac? I always thought Stella and Mac were way better friends then Lindsey:wtf: I'm so sick of LINDSEY!:lol: I do agree, and wasnt asking for a big farewell scene but the scene of choice makes me feel it was an insult and a cheap shot.... MHO of course:) I remember Carmine in an interview stating it was going to be handled with the finding of the body on the thirtyfourth floor,it had absolutely nothing to do with the case:wtf: If they want to leek information they should at least get it correct:rolleyes: And the new job was never mentioned on the show that I recall forgive me if I am remembering this incorrectly but only in an interview with PV wasnt it?
    So they said.

I can not presume anything as I was not there but the only thing I know as fact was Melina said the writing of the character was an issue, anything else would be mere speculation on my part.:)

This is true but he sure seemed to come out of it alright!:lol:

Which makes me conclude there is where adjustments could be considered fresh writing could never hurt. That Frankie crap made me sick!:rolleyes: And although it did not destroy Stella for some there are those myself included who feel it was OOC and cheaply insulting. And again we are all intitled to our opinions are we not?:p And for Danny well way to screw it up:rolleyes: there is no Danny, Lindsey keeps the boys in a jar on the mantle and every now and then she lets him try them on to see if they still fit.:lol:

Could very well be:)

And yes Melina said she was the one who left the show this is not news we all knew that. But what will always be a question is the timing and the way it came about and even though there are those who think it is not our business maybe it isnt, but a little loyalty should not go without merit.

7. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Thanks Perlnoir:) She doesnt reveal anything but I didnt expect her too. Would not be very smart to burn your bridges.:)

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Or maybe there's nothing to reveal pther than she chose to leave.

10. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Maybe ....maybe not:)

11. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I finally was able to watch the premiere (I often have to tape my shows and watch them later) and I have to say it was not the same at all without Stella. I have always liked the character but I guess I didnt realize how different the chemistry would be without her there. I hope the whole season isnt that way! :-(

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Why don't we just stick with the facts. Thanks.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I know right? Stella is so full of life and she just adds that extra excitement that is lacking. She is so much fun and just projects so well off the screen. She has a great relationship with all of the team and always knows how to make things right. I like her passion and zest that seems to be lacking I for one have sensed her loss.

:)

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

I have a question that's not really related to any existing thread, so this seems as good a place to ask it as any: Hubby and I watch "CSI: New York" occasionally, and are getting caught up in reruns. In the Vegas original, all the stars are either CSIs, coroners or lab rats.

What is the structure of the New York spin-off? So far we haven't seen Mac working in the lab very much (though, to bring this back on-topic, Stella did). Is Mac a CSI, or is the hierarchy different in this show? On the Miami spin-off, it seemed like they were basically CSIs with guns (which the original has gravitated toward somewhat), and that's part of why I could never really stomach the Miami version. A little bit too comic book-y for my tastes.

15. NY12

NY12 Civilian

Was disappointed to not see Stella in the new series, her departure just didn't seem right. I know she left for other purposes and good luck for that, but I think her departure could have been mentioned slightly more in the opening.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jo is doing a fine job, but after 6 years, it isn't going to be the same without Stella.

Good luck Melina in whatever your doing next but you will be missed on New York.