Grissom & Sara #32: With Every Beat of My Heart

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Turtlebaby, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SA_Kate_937

SA_Kate_937 Police Officer

Re: Grissom & Sara #32: With Every Beat of My Heart

Hope your new digs are holding up, desert, and jorjafoxfan, hope you get some GSR happiness soon (or CSI in general)

I watched the promo for 815, it is shocking stuff, man! But it's still annoying that the other franchises get more episodes than CSI does... Or is that just me. :p

Oh well, I just watched 401 Assume Nothing and I'm wondering where the turning point in this season is when Sara starts turning to drinking.. :(

But I agree about Nesting Dolls, I think that if it isn't the start of their romantic relationship, it's the start of some semblance of a friendship and the point where Grissom pulled his head out of the sand..

Never thought I would say this, but thank you, Ecklie. :)

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

She was only caught drinking once, after Nick got the promotion she wanted, no biggie, I don't mean drinking and driving, but when else has she been drinking, I know Brass was talking to her like a friend/confidante, or a daughter, on the drinking and she played innocent:confused:and I also truly believe that 'Nesting Dolls" was when they consumated their relationship, "It was a Sunday":thumbsup:

IF YOUR HERE, THIS CAN'T BE GOOD

SARA'S LIVING ROOM

HIM LISTENING

HIM TAKING HER HAND

3. orange_cat

orange_cat Witness

I reckon maybe post Butterflied was when she might have started to head towards having 'a couple of beers with breakfast', as she puts it to Brass, (although I'm interested by the reference to 401 - will have to take a look). Hearing Grissom say that stuff in the interrogation room - not good; and then we know she keeps a low profile after that for a bit ('I haven't seen you in a while have I?' from Grissom a few epis later). Poor Sara :( She only knows how to hide from things by burying herself in work, so I guess when work (or more specifically her boss) becomes the big problem, and she doesn't have friends to turn to...
    It's great, classic CSI - the long, subtle build-up to a major, personal situation - taking her down all the way through season 4 until the DUI, having her appear more 'together' as season 5 kicks off after her counselling, only to have her really snap finally with the domestic abuse case.

TPTB love to show the angst, but then they leave our bad little minds to fill in the blanks about the 'good stuff' which they just hint at, don't they? :devil:

4. orange_cat

orange_cat Witness

p.s. just looking at the great pics desert - the "HIM LISTENING" one in particular I noticed the cased bugs on the wall... _got_ to be 'presents' from Grissom surely!

5. seattlegsrfan

seattlegsrfan Police Officer

I've always thought Sara started down the slippery slope after the end of the third season. I mean Hank the skank was playing around on her, she nearly got blown up, and then when she asked Grissom (who'd been treating her poorly because he was jealous of Hank) out - he said no.

But then the straw that broke the camel's back might've been when Nick got the promotion.

p.s., orange_cat, the song in my head today was Orange Cat.

6. orange_cat

orange_cat Witness

Yeah I agree, post Hank (bleurgh) and turned down by Grissom is the other possible starting point - I need to check the early season 4 epis more carefully and see...
    The promotion (well, Grissom recommending Nick really, that was the biggie) is definitely the final straw. But I do love that exchange when she and Grissom are working Sam's limo together - Sara's "I am not happy" face is just brilliant :evil:

Orange Cat yay! Cheers seattle :beer: Oh wait, is that inappropriate here? ;)

7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

actually, i don't think she ever had a drinking problem. imo, she's probably been the strongest of all characters on the show.

strong, in my mind, means how much you are able to overcome despite all of the hurdles that life puts ahead of you. and sara has always been the one who felt the most, and who desperately needed someone to turn to.

just watch Crash and Burn and notice how she behaves towards Hank. i mean, it's so obvious that she strives for a relationship, that she cares and, at the same time, is quite pushy. maybe it's because Hank was all reserved, having his real girlfriend breathing down his neck, and this juxtaposes Sara's behavior, but still.

coming back to my original thought, she has always had many things to overcome b/c of the way she is, and what she's been through. but it doesn't make her weak in any way. the mere fact that she went on with her job, and performed brilliantly says how determined and strong she's been.

Sara went through a very interesting transformation since the beginning of the show. her relationships with Hank and Grissom are polar opposites. yet it was Hank who, in theory, was considered a better partner for her. her age, quite outgoing, funny, smart, and let's be honest here, the guy is pretty handsome. on the other side of the fence we got Grissom who is older, socially inept, and not decided whether he wants to pursue a relationship or not. who knows what would happen if Hank didn't cheat on her?

Sara of season 6 to 8, and maybe a bit of 5, is a changed woman, though. the turning point for the audience to notice it was, imo, Snakes. the way she told Grissom, 'this is how i feel, but i'm not chasing you anymore' is huge. for 4 years she was all over him, but now she's tired of it. that regardless of her relationship status, she's going to make it on her own and she doesn't need anybody, per se. cuz, what if Grissom was afraid she would be too needy, too pushy?

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. orange_cat

orange_cat Witness

Great analysis adz -I totally agree about her strength of character too, and I must say depth - I was going to say this in my earlier post but it was getting late and I was sleepy :) - I think her character has the most depth and is one of the most realistic on the show... I think it's why so many people are affected by her character, and of course Jorja's acting is just spot on.

I also agree she never had a drinking problem - we all have moments when we're sick of things and have a couple of drinks of an evening, and everything in the show implied she never had more than a couple of beers on any occasion anyway. Grissom knows this too (comments on arrival at her apartment in Nesting Dolls). I think it was more like her temper snapping - a very brief moment of breaking in her walls that allows some of the unbelievable things she has to live with and overcome to seep out...

Hmm... I hadn't really pinned it all down to Snakes but I think you're right - it's the point at which we as viewers at least see that she has finally let go. As you say, she accepts her feelings but isn't going to let them control her life, or I suppose poison the other aspects of her relationship with Grissom. And there's an episode somewhere in which Greg asks Grissom what turns him on (or words to that effect!) and he says 'not being judged'.

She has such an amazing capacity for genuine compassion and, consequently perhaps, vulnerability. On a side note, it's interesting that Nick, who shares these character traits to an extent, has so many similar (if slightly less extreme/frequent) experiences to Sara - a nasty childhood trauma (the babysitter); some deep, very personal connections to particular cases and victims, especially children (Gum Drops); being kidnapped and tortured, ultimately to inflict pain upon Grissom (GD obviously). It was right that Nick should find her in the desert on so many levels, including that Sara was the one to run the last mile in finding him. They are brother and sister in a lot of ways really.

Gosh, that's enough rambling from me, sorry folks! You can tell I'm on holiday :cool:
    GSR love to you all, and is anyone else getting a bit jumpy about the fast approaching finale?!?!

9. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

exactly. even though some people might've thought different, more b/c of Early Rollout than Bloodlines really, Nesting Dolls definitely clears it up.

absolutely. and she changed as a person. i don't think it was some kind of a strategy to get Grissom, but an honest transformation.

oh, great insight. i think those parallels have been made quite on purpose. as you said, LD gives us enough evidence to believe that.

i'm interested to see how is sara going to change after she comes back. the way her character evolved during all those years is fascinating, but the kidnapping seems to have the most impact on her so far. i wonder whether she'll come back to her old ways of being compassionate, or will she build some kind of a defense (i.e. she'll be tougher in how she deels with people.)

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

You hit the nail on the head Adzix that's what is attractive about her besides the obvious beauty her "strength" she's a strong vital woman, and knows what she wants for sure, she kicks' ass and puts other women to shame in comparision if you catch my drift, when Icky Ecklie said "your going to apologize to Cath" she, with her cocky/sassy reply "NO, I'm not":thumbsup: I loved her whole attitude in that scene! she did get off the track with Hank the skank because of her paramours lack of compassion and emotion and always putting everything else 2nd next to his work [wished I loved my job that much]:( but the realization of possibly losing her in "Butterflied" and the next few eps. made him savy up and he knew what he really wanted and what was important to him "HER" and orange_cat your not rambling, your sharing your views, an they rock:bolian:[​IMG]

THE REALIZATION

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  11. orange_cat

orange_cat Witness

yeah this is a very interesting point and it has got me thinking about GB&GL - specifically Sara's exchanges with Ronnie and most of all the last things Ronnie says to her - "I know it's not how you do things.." (or words to that effect)... I'm sure we were all thinking back to early season Sara when Ronnie said this, and how insane it seems that someone can get to know her and not know how much she has poured of herself into victims (Jane Doe for example). I think that may have been a major part of her path to realising how all the darkness and hurt and 'ghosts' had choked her compassion... then of course Hannah breaking down and in the end just being the scared little girl that she is was like the final straw.

So if she manages to deal with her ghosts successfully then I'd say she will come back stronger, yes, but with that compassion - which is such an integral part of the complete Sara - free again. And with Grissom to love and support her - even at a distance - you can see why she would want to put these things to rest and find herself fully again. And why in the end I think she will succeed.

12. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Agreed Orange_Cat. this is what everybody is saying and you know what every theory or comment relates back to in some way? her job. all of these ghosts are practically job induced, so, if she does successfully get rid of all her ghosts is she really going to go back to the job that caused most of it in the first place?? like she will no doubt come back to Las Vegas but i really dont think she will return to her job, now im not saying that she is going to completely isolate herself from everybody she knew like im sure they'll remain tight as ice but in a social manner.
    i know how that sounded and im not trying to be pessimistic or anything, like i would love nothing more for her to return to everything and it will all go back to normal and i do think that her and Grissom will be together theres no question there in my mind. they are like Ross and Rachel. Lucas and Peyton. Serena and Dan. Ryan and Marissa. ..if you get my drift..

*i say like too much :rolleyes:*

13. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

great way to put it. we saw how the kidnapping changed her in GBGL and she also realized that she doesn't want to be this broken person. she was smart enough to see it in herself and have enough strength to leave everything behind, heal her soul, and become a caring person again. but not without gaining the wisdom that comes only with experience.

i have to partly disagree with that. sara was happy about her job b/c she wanted to make a difference, help others. that's one of the reasons she chose this profession. it's also science, but at the same time she has a direct contact with people and can put bad guys behind bars. even though she had hard moments at times, she still saw more positives to it. there is no perfect job in this world, after all.

even in the letter to grissom she admits it's her childhood ghosts and the death of her father that always came back to haunt her. but when the role reversed and she became a victim, she stopped believing she could make a difference anymore. the job ceased to make sense to her. and, as i said before, she noticed it. her resigned attituade towards the domestic abuse case in GBGL is the best proof of that.

14. seattlegsrfan

seattlegsrfan Police Officer

This is a very interesting little debate going on here. Let me see if I can voice my opinion with any clarity.
    I think that as season eight progressed we saw Sara struggle with her job more because of her change in shift than the job itself. She wasn't with her 'team' anymore and they're basically her surrogate family. Also she was spending most of her time away from Grissom when she was used to spending most of her time with him.
    I think that Ronnie's comments during the domestic case in GB&GL made her feel like her childhood was catching up to her; and that when Marlon died and she used it as a tool to hurt Hannah she felt like she was turning into her father. Going back to Nesting Dolls you can see that she was always worried about turning out like her parents. When that fear manifested itself in GB&GL it must have been devastating.

p.s. O_Cat, today's playlist started with The Game and then switched to Alone With You.

15. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Adzix and Seattlegsrfan i can absolutely see both sides to what i said before and im deffinatly not denying the latter. but i do honestly think that at least for the first little bit like maybe a couple episodes? that she will only be connected to the show and everybody else via Grissom. and wouldnt it be awesome if, for the first couple eps only Grissom knew she was back and everybody else was clueless?? :evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.