Episode 10x15 - 'No Good Deed' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Mar 3, 2012.

1. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Well, I'll start with the positives:

1. With the exception of Natalia, obviously, screen time felt fairly even. If Horatio + Frank + Tom + 5 CSIs (Walter, Calleigh, Eric, Ryan, Sam) is the most they can handle with regards to giving fair screen time, I think it's a sign that Sam needs to go. I'm not big on Natalia (nothing against Eva LaRue, I'm sure she's a lovely person), so for me she could also go, but in fairness, she has been there for 6 seasons and logically, it would be best to cut Sam if they were to cut a CSI.

2. Nice to see Calleigh dispensing the wisdom instead of Horatio at the end of an episode. I think the current writers are pretty bad at writing female characters, but it's nice to know that at least some of the Calleigh I fell in love with in the earlier seasons is still there.

Other than that, I felt the episode was pretty dull. Guest stars were good, but the plot was really lacking. I see what they were aiming to do with the episode, but they executed it very poorly. It could've been a decent episode if they made a smoother transition from "victim was killed by someone with a business/personal motive" to "interesting web of unrelated crimes are solved and people are saved because of victim being a Good Samaritan". It was too disjointed for me to think of it as a good episode.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

This episode had its good points and its bad ones too. For the most part I liked it, though I wish they'd put Natalia in it instead of Sam, but anyway.

I'm surprised there were no delays. I was so glad there weren't cause that meant I could watch the encore showing of Breakout Kings' season premiere right after Miami went over instead of having to wait until the third showing of BK at 1am lol. Speaking of Breakout Kings, I finally realized who Taylor Cole (Sam) reminds me of. She reminds me of Serinda Swan who plays Erica on Breakout Kings. Those two could play sisters.

On to the episode:

Bad way to go. It's a wonder the sharks didn't eat him after he was bleeding.

Glad to see that Dave is in this episode. I missed him.

If the dog's barking bothers you, lady, either buy earplugs or move! Don't poison the dog! I know they arrested her for prostitution, but I hope they added animal cruelty charges too.

Fingerprint powder on the face? :rolleyes: How cliche! Didn't that exact same scenario happen with Gil and Sara on CSI? Really writers? You couldn't think of anything less cheesy and overused? Why not have Ryan have a place on his face that was bleeding and her putting a band-aid on it or something? I don't think that has been used before, or at least not as often as the cliched, very cheesy "there's something on your face, let me just wipe it off" scenario.

The actor playing Sam's boyfriend played Riley, the live-in boyfriend of Fran Drescher's character on the short-lived sitcom "Living With Fran". He's cute, but I'm not sure if Josh is on the up and up lol. That scene was brutal for Ryan, but I thought it was funny when he said "firm grip" when shaking Josh's hand LOL.

I liked the last scene with the vic's son and Calleigh where she told him how many criminals they caught because of his father noticing the little things.

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This was a quite ok episode. A bit disjointed and hard to follow but Calleigh wrapped it up pretty nicely in the end so it was ok. I don't think the victim was a complete pain. He had integrity and that's quite difficult to come by these days. I prefer to have someone like that as a business partner than someone who "looks the other way". When the time comes in which looking the other way will affect me I want someone whom I can count on to have my back.

Calleigh was great in this episode and I was glad it ended with her and the kid and not Horatio. Horatio didn't even have a scene with the kid so it would've been weird. She kind of connected with him and it was nice that she came back to talk to him.

Sam needs to go. Please. Though the boyfriend can stick around lol. I do agree that Ryan hitting on the new girl is way overused and getting old.

Overall not bad. B-.

4. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

good episode-liked how things fell into place-it went from a murder to solving multiple crimes and rescuing the boy was good. Saw Horatio looking sweaty and winded as they ran after the car being towed away-street cop stuff like that I think is good reminder he doesn't spend his whole day safely back in a lab in the A/C! Good on Caleigh telling that son that his father was a hero and her offering to go around to see him again-nice that sometimes the victims & families leave an impression on the CSI's and not just a part of the job they put in a file at 5pm as they walk out the door. Hero H didn't have to shoot people to save the boy did he? that's nice too..well grade this one a B+....only what 3 more episodes to go?

5. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

Good episode but not perfect

Hardline Pro
    Couldn't agree more. H looked gorgeous but a bit sad and distracted or it's just me.

"Well, gentlemen, we've got to find that boat. That boat is our murder weapon." - well, not the most genius punchline but for "trip to the great unknown" writers, I fogive you:)

They had good scenes together "another boyfriend" - very funny:lol: Calleigh was also great in the end - it WAS really nice cuz she definetely wasn't obliged to.

The drug mule story was a bit sloppy attached to main plot but it gave some H-action. And that's great.

6. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

I liked the episode except the last part with Ryan and Sam. Poor Ryan, I felt bad for him. I really hate Sam more and more as the episodes go by.

7. Alessia

Alessia Dead on Arrival

I couldn't agree more. I would preferred some Natalia's scenes that see Sam taking screen time.

8. Montydog13

Montydog13 Victim

Oh how I agree - boring, boring, boring. And why is such a gorgeous guy so inept with women anyway? What a waste of space the Sam character is - other than to let Ryan play off her. It would have been so much better to have had Natalia in - look at the great scene in the episode on the sperm donor, where she commented on Ryan's cute nose. Wish TPTB would get rid of unnecessary female distractions and leave the team alone. Harrumph!:confused:
    Wasn't actually that keen on the episode anyway - but at least we got Ryan time:)

9. Montydog13

Montydog13 Victim

Agree entirely. Ryan has the potential to be such a great character on the show - every now and then the writers let us see a bit of what makes him be the slightly defensive, snarky character (Wolfie and the bullying over the telescope), but making him look (and feel?) like an idiot in front of some girl just seems a bit cruel.

10. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Totally agree about what a lot of people are saying about Ryan - he's gorgeous and funny and so many awesome things (even though he's a bit awkward at times). Why does he have so much trouble with women? Also...WHY was Sam LEADING HIM ON?? :wtf: If she had a boyfriend, why has she been flirting with him all this time??? :shifty: Major B**CH.:rolleyes: I think the character of Sam is flat and one-dimensional and those scenes would've worked much better with Natalia. At least Nat has personality and Eva LaRue is 100 times more talented than the actress who plays Sam (from what I've seen of her on Miami). Why are TPTB cutting Eva's time to make room for this stupid plotline?? I don't think it's gonna pay off in the end and Sam just seems like a waste of time and space on the show - To TPTB: focus on the main cast! You have enough characters!!

As for the rest of the show, it was nice to see Calleigh comforting the son at the end. It made sense that it was her and not Horatio, since H had no connection to him. I know we're used to all the shows ending w/H, but it just wouldn't have made sense, unless they ended w/H in the hospital w/the boy.

I found the plot a bit hard to follow at times, since all these things were so disjointed. I mean, I understood it, but they weren't connected at all. How random that the victim ran into a boy who was being used for drug trafficking?? And THEN he got cut off by a stupid truck driver, and that guy (who actually DID save that boy's life by remembering those facts, since he wasn't connected w/that crime), turned out to be the killer :wtf:. And THEN the whole illegal construction thing...lots of plots that didn't connect. :shifty:

The son seemed kinda suspicious to me, but I'm glad he was innocent. Also liked the scene w/Walter and H in the warehouse or whatever - "I've got your man!" - I did not see that comin, although I guess it was Walter's turn to be rescued by Horatio :lol:

Anyway, I give this episode a B-. The team was kinda disjointed and the Sam stuff stunk. Hopin' the next couple of episodes will have more team spirit.

11. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Well I think that is the point--we aren't suppose to like Sam, and it is all leading up to the finale. Natalia read her immediately. It does seem odd that Ryan is so shy around women he is interested in but is very relaxed and funny around women friends. He must have had a very bad experience once or twice. He was more awkward in this episode then when he asked out Natalia (and that was pretty bad). Wish they would tell us what his issue is.

12. forza juve

forza juve Hit and Run

I like awkward Ryan when it comes to women he likes. I find it so stereo typical that extremely handsome men must always be so confident around women they like. I just find it cute. It's in contrast to Eric being so over confident with women.
    There is one good thing about Sam we should be thankful for. More screen time for Ryan. The same with Molly. In the few episodes she was in, we learnt things about Ryan the writers, for some reason did not see fit to tell us before.

As for the episode, I liked it, but that's about it really.

13. Alessia

Alessia Dead on Arrival

I'm not completely agree... Ryan could have screen time even without Sam, maybe with Natalia...
    What I see in the scene with Sam it's the writers humiliating Ryan again... It could be cute the first time, but now I found it a little bit ridiculous... Finally, yes it's true, Ryan has more screen time, but not a very good quality in my opinion... I like him very much, he's my favourite character, but (before I go to bed :) ) I wanna ask you if in your opinion it's better to see one less scene with him or continue to see him Be humiliated...

14. Montydog13

Montydog13 Victim

I don't like him being humiliated and I would prefer to see him happy. I'm not entirely sure though that I would prefer to see less of him! If the writers are doing it deliberatley - making him self confident to the point of cockiness at times, snarky, clever, easy and relaxed with his women friends and yet shy and tongue-tied with women he's interested in, I just wish they'd explain why - then my over-active imagination wouldn't have to fill in the gaps. I'm not entirely convinced that it isn't just inconsistent writing ....

15. forza juve

forza juve Hit and Run

Don't get me wrong. I know there are better ways to use Ryan. This way is getting very old. After years of neglect however, I'll take what they give me about Ryan. And definately don't like the way he is being humiliated by Sams attitude. My comment on liking him being awkward was more a general one about any women he likes. I just find it endering that's all.