Episode 10x01 - 'Countermeasures' ***CONTAINS SPOIILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Guys, let's refrain from posting illegal links for the episodes. Unless it streams directly from CBS, iTunes (where you can purchase the episode), or CTV.ca and similar sites which have express permission from CBS, it doesn't belong here and should not be promoted nor discussed. Thank you.

2. elliecatt

elliecatt Dead on Arrival

never in my life did I anticipate a premier as much (or as long) as I did this one.
    I can't believe it's been 4 1/2 months. I didn't hate the episode. I felt like they needed to keep H down longer. I needed him to stay down longer instead of getting up like he did. They skipped from the ambulance to leaving the hospital and left out a wealth of opportunity, but still the episode was more than I expected from it. just wish H woulda fainted or something at the end!:lol:

3. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Great start to the season! Loved the scene with Ryan and Natalia, Emily and the children, and Horatio and the woman detective (forgot her name). Emily is looking especially beautiful; motherhood agrees with her! I am glad they showed the vulnerable side of Horatio. Okay, not alot of forensics but so what. There were some loose ends but don't care. IMHO, it was one of the best first season openers.

4. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

There was no delay for me.

Anyways, I LOVED this episode. I felt all the characters got a fair amount of screen time. I liked that we have Calleigh back in the field. The scene with Ryan and Natalia was great. I absolutely loved David's acting and how he was so out of it. And the scene with Calleigh and the kid at the end was great.

One of the best episodes so far IMO. I don't think they over did it with Marisol, it was quite touching when Renee was talking with Horatio and offered to take him to go get checked out.

Great start to the season and I hope CBS tries to avoid delays this year as they did last night.

5. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

In UK and haven't seen yet (Though probably will in next few days, by fair means or foul.) Just curious - no one's mentioned Eric. I would have expected him to be glued to Horatio's side, in the circumstances...?

6. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Eric was given most of the "running" scenes...again :rolleyes:!
    When you get to watch the episode, you'll see that there was no time for anyone to be "glued" to Horatio's side, because he was up and chasing criminals, in no time :eek:! Most of the time, Horatio had difficulty walking, yet he was able to dive for Natalia and body-check and stop 2 of the suspects :wtf:! I understand that the show is far from being realistic, but this is far-fetched, even by CSIM standards :rolleyes:!
    I might be a minority here, but I have to admit that I was very disappointed with the episode. The only positive comment that I have is that I LOVED the last scene with Calleigh and the little boy; Emily was absolutely wonderful :thumbsup:! So glad she's finally back :).

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I was wondering the same.. dude is sweating, mumbling and barely standing :lol::lol: "H are you ok" *mumblemumblemumble..i'm fine* "ok"

I mean wtf? And they suppose to be good at noticing things? :lol:

And only Horatio. Only he can be badly wounded, walk, dive and swim, RIP the backseat (oh that kind of movement doesn't hurt if you have stomach injury, not at all) and still run away from hospital and be able to work.

And stupid Aerosol moments ruined my episode. Why won't you stay dead. It's a reminder what we could have had and what crap they finally wrote us.

And the train scene.. seriously? a) what a crappy sniper b) seriously - just wait until the train is there and then start the action, no point to take action now..

Oh dear lord how stupid it is - thats the reason I like German Krimi - at least those make more sense ;)

8. yen35

yen35 Witness

The episode was fairly good.
    However, like several others, I found it really puzzling that people around Horatio didn't notice that he was injured.
    Okay if it was an hour or so but the events which occurred in the episode took several hours no? Its kinda bizarre that NOT 1 PERSON in the police station noticed this when they are trained observers.
    And I am not sure if someone can walk around for such a long time with such a wound.
    And I really didn't get that girl buying the phone in the shop at all.
    So the guy gave her money to buy 2 things and she did and paid for it and then she shoplifted the phone? Thats a bit strange.
    Why didn't she just buy that too and pay for it? Maybe Toller asked her not to do that thinking they'll trace it but they traced it anyway.
    My favorite scene was Ryan talking to Natalia.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I agree.It showed how supportive they are and have been of each other,a really nice friendship.

10. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I kept forgetting too. It was a weak case cracked mostly by following people around and interrogating them. Forensics appeared like halfway through the episode. Yes I expect forensics in a forensics show :p. I at least expect forensics to be the prominent part of the episode in how they get the bad guy. This episode was definitely lacking in that department.

I kept thinking this. Especially when he took out Toller in the end and it was so clear to him that Horatio was in no condition to put up a fight. When I realized early on that Horatio was going to be up and about chasing criminals with a gunshot wound in his belly I quickly decided for the sake of trying to enjoy the episode to just ignore how ridiculous that was and simply focused on David's performance. That way it was more tolerable because David was amazing throughout the episode. Horatio was clearly in pain and it's the first time in a very long time that he is so human.

Yes this!:D! Emily was spot on with her performance last night and the scene with Austin was amazing. Her expressions were perfect and this scene was definitely my favorite. Also I have to say that I'm VERY glad that her screentime is back to normal :).

:lol: I too thought he was such a crappy sniper.

11. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

In a word - AWESOME!

Loved it from start to finish. The cast was fantastic (Ryan really surprised me in his scene with Natalia... very sweet), especially Horatio. I don't think many of us expected him to be so affected by the shooting. I hated watching him suffer, but I'm so relieved that they didn't have him pull the Superman act and be running around town as though nothing had happened.

The flashback with Marisol wasn't overly sappy or long, which was nice. I loved his takedown of Randy (Ethan Embry played the role to a T) and the scene at the end with Renee. It was way out of character for Horatio to allow someone to take care of him and showed us all how terrible he must have been feeling.

One of the best episodes in the series :D

12. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

I don't think I can add much to what other people have said. It was definitely my favorite episode of the entire series. A few things I particularly liked:

-Horatio isn't super-man after all, I loved the feeling of vulnerability, Caruso played it fantastically. I was shocked when he started bleeding again towards the end, poor H. It was also very odd for him to show weakness, he must have been in a lot of pain to let Renee take him to the hospital.

-We got a lot of Calleigh, I hadn't realized how much she actually added to the show until she [Emily] went on maternity leave last year. It was great to have Detective Duquesne back out in the field.

-Horatio called Natalia sweetheart :luvlove:

A couple of disappointing things:

-Eric just left H, I know he went back, but Eric, that's your brother-in-law and he could be dying! Obviously the Delko's don't think of family like the Reagans or the Sopranos do.

-No new opening credits. I feel sorry for Rex, Omar & Eva - I also think the arrangement of the opening credits leaves the team feeling disjointed, and that reflects in some of the episodes (luckily, not in this particular episode)

-Was that the longest teaser ever? It was almost 1/4 of the episode.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  13. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Really bad writing, that! Eric absolutely adores H - it's been obvious from well before they were brothers-in-law. No way would he leave him.

14. Anni Grey

Anni Grey Coroner

It's been a while, but here it goes:

10x01- Countermeasures

It has been quite some time since I’ve last reviewed an episode but there was something about last night’s show that just compelled me to start up again. For nine years, we’ve seen Horatio time and time again, face death from bombs to various members of street gangs and even faked his own death but last night was a first. For the first time, we got to see Horatio, the human. I can’t remember an episode where I’ve seen such depth from him. Yes, we’ve seen anger, sorrow, and even regret, but we’ve never seen a wounded Horatio, both in body and in spirit. It was refreshing to see that even though he jumped right back in the saddle, we were constantly reminded that he had been shot and that there were consequences to his hasty decision to forego medical treatment. In my opinion, this was Horatio’s finest moment, despite the debilitating bullet wound. There was no posturing, no false (or intended bravado), just Horatio.
    I think the most endearing moment was when he got into the Hummer and reached for Marisol’s picture. It was right there that we saw not just how much pain he was in physically, but emotionally as well. Until now, I never really truly believed Horatio and Marisol’s relationship (because they cloaked it so well with Horatio’s traversing through anger, denial and so forth without even bothering to touch grief). Yes, we’ve had our glimpses into Horatio’s bereavement process (Happy Birthday in season nine touched on it) but last night’s episode sealed the deal for me. I think that Horatio still has a journey ahead of him concerning the ability to let go of Marisol and I don’t believe that road is going to be easy to walk down. He’s still got a lot of work to do, not just for the city of Miami, but also for himself. I’ve got to give props to David Caruso; he definitely brought the human element in this episode. It was actually shocking to see Horatio quietly enduring the pain, giving us a direct contrast of his previous hero antics. DC’s performance, to me, was spot on. I hope we can continue to get this stripped down version of Horatio.
    Another performance that was just magnetizing was Eva La Rue. Natalia’s evolution has been one of many ups and downs, but I think she really came into her own last night. Again, the depth of emotion from anxiety, to fear of not being able to continue on was greatly portrayed. Her moment with Randy was, simply put, phenomenal. Nat’s no longer the shrinking lily, she commanded that scene with a formidable force. I couldn’t help but smile. I also liked the bond that is brewing between Horatio and Natalia (there’s nothing like a good trauma to really fling two people together). I think when it comes down to it, Nat knows that Horatio’s got her back, and equally, Horatio knows that Nat has his back…which leads me to my one and only gripe about the episode; the lack of team cohesion.
    I can understand that Horatio’s got this whole determination shtick, and nothing’s going to stop him from his dogged pursuit of justice, but really…Natalia’s the only one who bothered to show any concern for Horatio’s deteriorating condition? I know, the focus was on the hunt for Toler but seriously, your leader’s running around Miami with a bullet wound and struggling to breathe and you what, over look that? Its television, and I get that, but a shot of realism could’ve come into play here. The last action scene with H taking down Toler was one of disbelief for me as well as the fact that he wasn’t rushed to the hospital right afterwards ( I mean come on, his wound was reopened), but I understand why. They had to have the obligatory dialogue between him and Agent Locklear which was poignantly done to show perhaps a start of some kind of relationship between them. That’s all well and good, but the good Lieutenant was looking like Hell ran him over with an eighteen wheeler. As much as we needed to see that Horatio’s not alright, it was scary that they waited so long to take him back to be seen again.

Overall, I was jazzed about this episode. After the doldrums of summer, I couldn’t wait to see how they would step into the new season. There were some payoffs but there were also some disappointments. All in all, I think this was a solid episode and if they can continue the momentum, this could be the season where they leave all their naysayers in the dust. One can only hope…

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

That was a bit odd. Unless there was no one else around to take Tollen and Eric wasn't about to risk him getting away. But then again everyone's behavior towards Horatio was rather oblivious to how he was feeling. Those kind of details I agree are to be blamed on the writing.