DNA Databases

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by steph_r, May 21, 2009.

1. steph_r

steph_r Witness

So following a court ruling here in Britain, almost 1 million DNA profiles of innocent people are to be removed from the database and destroyed.

My question is, how do you feel about DNA profiles of non-offenders being stored in DNA databases? Maybe it would be beneficial keeping DNA profiles on file, even if they belong to innocent individuals. If you were in this situation, would you kick up a fuss and demand your profile was destroyed, or could you just not care less?

(You can read about it here if you're interested)

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

It could help identify bodies after terrible acidents so next of kin could be notified. I wouldn't mind if it was in a government database. They already have much info on me at the DMV, IRS, Social Security, FCC, and probably several other agencies.

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah I guess I would not mind too much, agreeing with what Dynamo1 said. The government already has so much on everyone as it is. What is one thing more?

4. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

It doesn't bother me any to have my DNA in the system. If something were ever happen to me, I'm sure that I'd actually feel better knowing that someone had it.
    Besides, I figure if you aren't going to do anything wrong, then no one may ever know that you are in the system anyway.

5. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

That is true. I mean you really do not have to worry if you know you are a good person and will not be doing something wrong. It is good for ID purposes overall because you never do know what will happen.

6. steph_r

steph_r Witness

I think the main concerns people seem to have about this issue is the possibility of there being some kind of error which incriminates the wrong person. And of course the perhaps sligtly paranoid idea that it allows for easy planting of DNA evidence at a scene :shifty:

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i wouldnt mind, i am never going to be in a situation (at least i dont plan on it!) where id be a suspect of anything. they could use it to identify me should i go missing or worse. the dna databases are extremely secure location, we watched a video in human genetics. they could also store the fingerprint but maybe destroy the actual sample?

the only thing is, and we talked about this in class, is that there may be a move for insurance companies to try and get at dna information. ie deny you insurance because you have genes that predispose you to a genetic condition. i think that is terrible and they have no business having that information.

as long as the only people who could access my dna fingerprint would be law enforcement individuals i dont see a huge problem.

8. steph_r

steph_r Witness

I had not actually considered that! I would hope that those in charge of DNA databanks would never actually succumb to this, but it seems some groups will do anything given the right sum of money.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

they should only be kept if the person is convicted. anyone whose dna is taken for witness statements/questioning etc should have their samples destroyed immediately. i believe this already happens in most of europe. shame the uk is so far behind at the moment.

sadly the dna databases here in the uk are categorically not secure. over the last few years there've been so many breaches of data security by the government - including politicians, police and civil servants - that it's impossible to trust them with this stuff. i don't want my dna profile to be left on a train/in a cab/in a bar etc thanks very much!

10. steph_r

steph_r Witness

I completely agree about the lack of security in the UK. Seems we are hearing about a laptop or disk containing personal data has been left on a train every week! Perhaps people would be more open to their DNA being stored in a database if security was not so much of an issue?