Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. csifreak16

csifreak16 Victim

Re: Writers Strike-Is it going to have an effect on TV shows

woo! can tv go back to normal please? it's been horrible with all the repeats. <3

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Tv Guide: After the WGA Strike When Your Favorites Will Return! is updated hourly and some shows will be getting more eps to air between April and May.
    Yahoo News: Hollywood writers to vote on contract
    USA Today: Television production goes from stalled to high gear

ETA (6:45pm):
    Strike enters countdown mode
    Tv Guide: WGA Votes Tuesday on Lifting Strike Order -- Both the East and West wings of the WGA vote Tuesday on whether to lift the three-month strike. Polls on the East Coast close at 7 pm/ET and at 6 pm/PT on the West Coast.

Yahoo News: Writers voting on ending strike -- The results of the vote are expected to be available late Tuesday night.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I posted this in the NY forum and thought I'd post it here as well. :)

"More than 90% of the 3,775 writers who cast ballots in Los Angeles and New York voted to end the work stoppage, capping the entertainment industry's most contentious labor dispute in recent history"

Source

:D

4. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Since this forum/group is called TALK CSI, here's what it says about the 3 CSI shows at THIS SITE which is one of the links in Destiny's last post ^^up there^^. I forgot which link it is because I clicked on 2 of them.

CSI
    Expected to shoot 4 to 8 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

CSI: Miami
    Expected to shoot 4 to 9 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

CSI: NY
    Expected to shoot 4 to 8 new episodes to air in March/April/May.

5. Destiny

Yahoo News: Writers vote to end 3-month strike - Striking Hollywood writers are going back to work. The Writers Guild of America said its members voted Tuesday to end their devastating, three-month strike that brought the entertainment industry to a standstill.

Tv Guide: The Strike Is Over: Welcome Back, TV! - At times during the past three months, we never thought we'd say it, but ... the WGA strike is officially over. According to the WGA websites, members voted by 92.5 percent to lift the strike order that was enacted November 5.

Tv Guide: Strike Survival Guide "After the Strike: Burning Questions Answered!"

*Does happy dance, Throws confetti and yells WOOHOOO!*

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

:mad: :mad: Stupid strike!!!! I am so mad!!! This is their last season and they have to cut it short :(. They were supposed to shoot 8 more. :mad:

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm glad the strike is over. Not jsut so we get our TV shows back but so the people that work in the industry can go back to there jobs :) The one question I have to ask is why is CSI even trying to come back in March when all we usually get are reruns because of college basketball. But who is going to complain right :)

8. Destiny

Strike's end starts TV production frenzy
    Jacquie, here is what the futon critic said, "CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION - Will resume production on 6-7 episodes; NCAA Basketball Championship will pre-empt lineup March 20-March 27" - so my guess is that they will show maybe one ep in march (depending on when they start airing), then get pre-empted and then continue in April and May with the rest.

Okay and lastly under the "Ask Ausiello" this question (which isn't a spoiler) was asked and answered (note I am withholding the name listed):

Question: Now that the strike is over, are the actors legally obligated to return to work to complete whatever's left of the 22 episodes? Or, after a certain point, are they off the hook for the season? I guess the question is, are they signed for a specific number of episodes during a certain period of time (i.e., Aug-April), or do they have to complete the episodes no matter what the timeframe — even if that means working through the summer?

Ausiello: That's a very complicated question. So complicated that I'm going to hand it off to a top TV talent agent to answer: "The basic answer is that yes, actors are obligated to return and finish a certain number of episodes," explains the tenpercenter, who asked not to be identified because his coworkers aren't aware he's an Aushole. " That said, there are all sorts of variables. One is that most actors' contracts define a 'season' with a beginning and end date. So, if studios ask the actors to come back and work beyond certain dates, some of them are going to fight that. The one thing I can tell you for sure: The studios will try to force the path that costs them the least. Even if they have to weather a few lawsuits to do it." So that explains why a caravan of entertainment lawyers were spotted entering the Grey's Anatomy set yesterday. (That was a joke, BTW. At least I think it was.)

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I just heard on my local CBS station during the news that CSI: Miami would be back March 31 and CSI April 3rd. :D

Actual article here at Yahoo.news

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Bout time they grew up & got back to work. Shame they didn't hire non-union writers while the strike was going on. All that they did was show the world the shows couldn't exist without them. If they'd gotten non-union writers they would've seen they weren't needed but that's just my opinion. Anyway, thank God it's over.

11. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Here Here!

I couldn't agree more, katpin. And I sincerely hope the actors don't fight the possible extention of days they work. I mean, really, enough of this fighting! And in total they got more time off than they would normally; they just got it at a different time.

As much as I don't like the idea of starting and stopping again, the idea of new episodes is very enticing...

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Here's what THAT SITE says now about the 3 CSI shows.

CSI
    Expected to shoot 6 new episodes to begin airing on April 3.

CSI: Miami
    Expected to shoot 8 new episodes to begin airing on March 24.

CSI: NY
    Expected to shoot 7 new episodes to begin airing on April 2

Here's what it says at the top of the page on THAT SITE:
    « Ausiello Report
    UPDATED HOURLY! After the Strike: When Your Favorites Will Return!

So check it out at least once a day, like maybe before you go to bed.

13. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

I'm so glad that the seasons are only going to be cut short by a few episodes, which is a whole load better than what it was before the announcement. :) I guess most of the strike took place over the winter hiatus that usually takes place, so the impact was not as major as it could have been.

14. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Gaelen, please edit your signature. You can have text OR an image in your signature. Thanks.

15. Gaelen

Gaelen Coroner

^Apologies, SunsetBoulevard. I stuck the text string in the wrong box. Just realised that.

Sorry! :p