Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 28, 2006.

1. slower

slower Lab Technician

Faylinn, I won't respond to every point; but I get your POV. I didn't quite understand that bromance meant nonsexual relationship though, I guess I'm a little out-of-the-loop.:lol: I will say; when I responded I went with my gut reaction and that gets me in trouble at times. No offense here; but the visualization just threw me. I'm like noooo.:lol:

I respectfully disagree; while I agree that it may not have meant to be disrepectful to the actor or anything like that. Sometimes it can look that way.:)

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I can see how some can view them that way. I actually like the idea of Ryan and Walter being roommates like Oscar and Felix. :lol: I think that would make for some funny scenes. They can just match each other in snarky, playful teasing banter. I love that about them. I was just sad when Warrick died for many reasons, but I really miss the Warrick/Nick friendship (they actually called each other "bro" which was cute), but Ryan/Walter's friendship has eased some of that saddness for me this season. :)

I think I'm gonna start shipping Frank/Paula now. :lol: I dunno why, but that just seems really appealing to me for some reason. :lol: And poor Frank needs a girlfriend like yesterday. :lol:

3. slower

slower Lab Technician

I love your perspective GNRF. It would make for some funny situations with them living like the odd couple. I think you are dead on about their banter. This is what I like about their friendship.:):thumbsup:

I hope this quote; I have had issues with this before.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think you forgot to put the "/" mark at the end of the code the last time. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Sometimes I think I hit the key, but I must not have pushed on it hard enough or something because it doesn't always take. :lol:

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It's only disrespectful to the actor if someone sees it as disrespectful to the actor because, as I said, that is not the intention at all. That it can look disrespectful is your perspective of the situation. Whether consciously or not, it implies that gay=bad. The only way that shipping Ryan with another male character is disrespectful to the actor is if the idea of a character being gay is somehow disrespectful - and I'm afraid we'll simply never agree on that.

(The idea of a romantic relationship ruining a platonic relationship is a valid opinion - I don't personally agree, but it is a valid opinion. Sometimes people view slash between characters as 'disrespecting' their friendship, which I don't agree with, but I understand where it's coming from. I only point this out because I don't mean to imply that the only reason a person could dislike Walter/Ryan is if they are somehow homophobic - I don't mean that at all. I'm only talking about disrespect as it refers to an actor based on how a fan chooses to ship his or her character. There are plenty of reasons people could dislike Walter/Ryan, and that's their right. More for me. ;))

Me saying that Ryan and Walter have an awesome dynamic and that I think they'd be adorable in a relationship is in no way disrespectful to Jonathan or to Omar. It's a compliment to their acting and to the writing of the show that the characters have so much depth and such a great rapport with each other. It's a compliment to the show and the people involved that I would be interested in thinking about the relationship beyond just what's on the screen - the same way it's a compliment to the show to want to talk about their great platonic relationship or to want to talk about how great [insert non-canon het ship here] would be.

If one of the characters was female - say, if Walter was actually Wanda - and they had the same snarky, teasing dynamic, would shipping them be disrespectful to Jonathan? No, and this isn't either. It's not your cup of tea - and it's not for a lot of people - but I'm shipping from my own perspective, nobody else's. And from my perspective, Walter/Ryan is pretty darn awesome. :D

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. slower

slower Lab Technician

Thank you for validating my opinion. I like Ryan and Walter in a friendship or bromance as you say. I agree that they have a fantastic dynamic, but romantically? No! And as you say that is my opinion.

Also to clarify something I am not nor have I have been homophobic.

I agree it is a compliment to Jonathan's and Omar's talents as actors, they play off each other wonderfully. We will just have to disagree on the other points here.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, understood.:)

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

To be clear, I never had a problem with you or anybody else disliking the pairing because you don't see it. My problem has been with the phrasing - suggesting that it is disrespectful to Jonathan, that the relationship is somehow gross ("More than that yukkkkkkkk!!!"), etc. You and I do not interact elsewhere on the board, so I can only form an opinion based on the comments in this thread and the Walter/Ryan thread.

That said, I see little reason to continue debating about it. It's a minor ship with only a few people who like it and a thread that is barely 48 hours old. Y'all can continue to debate about it if you want to, of course, I just don't think I want to. I have slashy GIFs to make. :p

Happy shipping, my lovelies! *salute*

8. slower

slower Lab Technician

I will not respond again. I am not apoligizing for my feelings about the subject. I will not change my mind or voice my oipnion again; but just to say a first impression is not always the whole person's character. Because I don't happen to agree on a particular subject; does not make me an evil person. Like I said before it was a gut reaction; and I posted before I thought about it.

Enjoy your discussions!!!

9. yen35

yen35 Witness

Re: The Great Ship Debate--CSI: Miami

I agree 100% with everything you've said. A sound friendship is a good base for a lasting relationship and sometimes realizations do come suddenly. It took me a bit of time to find this thread! What I used to do is go to csifiles and straightaway click on whatever CSI show I wanted to look at (usually Miami) so I didn't scroll down and see the shipper central thread till about a week ago.
    In my opinion, Eric and Calleigh have amazing chemistry and I love watching every EC scene multiple times!

10. CSIaholic

CSIaholic Dead on Arrival

I agree!! Eric and Calleigh are perfect for each other and even thought it took FOREVER for them to get together, I am happy that they did. I love them sooooo much! :)

11. yen35

yen35 Witness

By the way CSIaholic, I like your location! I think I should go there too although I doubt it'll work for me either!

12. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

One ship I could not stand- H/Marisol. That made Miami BORING! I think that if the producers can't find an interesting character to counter H in the relationship, then they should just leave it alone.

13. MelxxWhoLuvsYa

MelxxWhoLuvsYa Rookie

Is there any other RaiN fans (Ryan/Natalia) here? So far I can't see any, I feel alone, lol

14. slower

slower Lab Technician

There are a few of us floating around.:lol: Not too much to discuss right now; but my hopes up for the future. I pulled the thread out of storage for you. :lol:

15. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I'm not an active Ryan/Natalia shipper, but I wouldn't mind if they became a couple. They seem like pretty good friends, and some of the best relationships start out as two people being friends first.