"Dead Woods" Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Faylinn, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Episode Title: "Dead Woods"
    Episode Number: 1512
    Synopsis: "The CSI team reopens a 10-year-old murder/suicide case when the sole survivor claims her accused father was innocent."
    Original Airdate: December 28, 2014

Written By: Treena Hancock and Melissa R. Byer
    Directed By: Phil Conserva

Guest Stars:
    • Ashlee Fuss (Abby Fisher)
    • Larry Sullivan (Officer Akers)
    • Clare Carey (Joanna Higgins)
    • Dean McDermott (Garth Fogel)
    • Ben Browder (Randy Pruitt)
    • Tyler Forrest (Slade)
    • Michael Janik (Sketchy Man)
    • Jessica Treska (Hannah Fisher)
    • McKenna Grace Burge (Young Abby)
    • Ken Weiler (Barry Fisher)
    • Joy Lang (Kathy Fisher)

2. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

I really like this episode, the only "lack" i can see is that in the first seasons (1-9) the CSI crew always battle with hard cases like this and almost every time they find the true evidence.

So for me was like "Wait a second, Sara, Nick, Warrick and Grissom dont fight with cases like this almost every episode in the first seasons, why the hell she doesnt look the other angle?"

But is ok, why? Because finally an episode that is center in Sara! :thumbsup: Yes i know in season 13 i think it was, we have the Code Blue Special or whatever episode but for me that wasnt the "real" Sara it feels like the try of some writer to copy some character of the old days, but this episode do really good his job and find the way to show more about Sara past and how one case remember her the past.

About Nick at less we have more about him, is enough? No! But is something? Yes!

What i feels is the best part of this last episodes is that Nick, Greg, Sara, some Detective or Cop have more screen time that DB, Finn and Morgan, the balance is really good and that really likes me, what i really hate is that in the next episode in january we will have again the crap and shit of Gig Harbor Killer

3. Rena

Rena Rookie

I cannot agree with you, AleSir19, sorry ;)

I thought it was pretty bad. No, not bad, it was awful! So unrealistic and far-fetched! Sara was at the crime scene ten years ago, took pictures, collected data and items, but the evidence never got processed?! Not A-N-Y of it?! Just because they jumped to the conclusion that it was the father! Come on! There was no witness, the girl couldn't remember anything, they had to process the evidence. That's what they do. That's why they're called CSI! It's Crime Scene Investigation! :scream:

As AleSir19 pointed out, they had other cases like this and were taught by Grissom the Wise Man not to jump to a conclusion. They collect, detect, investigate, analyse, then conclude even if it seems to be clear at the beginning.

Oh, and the CSI are now the BAU, too? Going to the camp site with Abby, who's still a minor, no parent, no one except Sara and Greg?!

4. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

No, you are ok, that is what i say, "why the hell Sara dont look the other angle" always in the first seasons (1-9) the CSI follow the way of work of Grissom.

They always think of the case like something that was not like it looks for the first time you saw it you know?

One of the best examples and the only one is the Pilot, in that episode we have two cases, one were something is what it looks like and another where Paul Millander killer is born and nothing is what it looks like.

What i really say is that this episode likes me because we have more of Sara and i really miss the old show, i really miss the old Sara, Nick and Warrick thing, they kill Warrick, they get off the picture Grissom, but Nick and Sara have been there in the last season, taking a lot of crap and is cool to see in some parts of the 14 and even more in the 15 season that Nick and Sara have some episodes and more parts about them.

That is what i love about this episode and the another jail episode of this season, yes they are the "new" style of the show where the killer and all the episode is a Clue style board game, but at less they show more about past problems in the present in Nick and Sara cases...

5. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

First episode I've watched in a few weeks.

Makes you wonder if long-time watchers would lay the blame for this obvious lack of oversight on Grissom himself. BTW, why does Sara have a dozen open cases? I know they've done the "let's reopen a closed case" theme before, but it was always an adversarial thing with the brass--"Do it on your own time" etc..

I wanted to like the episode. In theory, it plays to the strength of Sara's character--caring, even perhaps too much. But too many lapses of fact.

6. Rena

Rena Rookie

I don't blame Grissom, I just think it's completely out of character (for all of them) plus highly inaccurate. Ten years back Grissom was night shift supervisor, meaning he would have known about the case. I cannot think of him as someone who would have left evidence completely unprocessed, like nothing at all. It was, after all, a murder crime scene. And being a kind of mentor to the others, I cannot think of them as CSI who jump to conclusions. This case reminded me of an episode from "Cold Case" when evidence from, let's say, 1950 hadn't been processed due to missing forensic technology. I mean, IF they had processed the evidence, like the fingerprint, they would have known about Fogel a long time ago, even though he wasn't the murderer. It would have been different if they had said that the evidence needed to be analysed again and evaluated from a different angle.

7. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

I didn't like a number of things in this one:

- How Doc was so sure it was suicide just by describing his findings, which aren't unique to suicides anyway. Then they supposedly never analysed the evidence because of Doc’s ruling? I thought it was the team's job to make such decisions (at least, on this show). I guess they had to find a reason to reopen the case, no matter how bad it looked…

- A 20 year old playing a 15 year old? It was never convincing. The actress looked closer to 25, if anything.

- Sara has been keeping in touch with this girl for the past ten years, how, exactly? So, now it’s two children she keeps in touch with, if we add Warrick’s? I guess in the end of the show she’ll retire early and start an orphanage all by herself. If we also add that girl who was stalked at the cafe two seasons ago, Sara has been having all these ‘close’ relationships with people all of the sudden that it’s hard to believe.

Of course, I liked that it was a Sara episode and we got a few more outdoor scenes than usual, but I expected something a little more special. An interesting case/episode overall, however.

8. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

I love a Sara centric episode, especially that part where she slammed that young guy against the wall. Nice! Though, I'd like for the writers to give enough reason and put more on why he is loathed so much by Sara. And why both him and the girl were at that alley. And I'm guessing that years long dead bodies must look fresh or semi-fresh whenever a case calls for it, smh...this episode could use a lot of improvement, especially with that scene.