What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I finished Crank by Ellen Hopkins. Now I'm working on Burned and Impulse by the same author. When I'm finished those I'm definitely taking out the sequel to Crank, which is Glass. Those books are written so strangely, they have about 300 pages but take two days to read because of the way they're written. I hate it actually, but I love the books. They're all kind of depressing... but very good. :)

Oh, and I still haven't finished Breaking Dawn...

2. xxmaybe

xxmaybe Hit and Run

Any good though? It's the next book on my reading list - I'm saving it for the plane journey I'm doing at the end of the month. I'd heard before it refers to the show, but didn't know how much.

I'm just about to start Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. After all the hype on the internet and people going on about it non stop I thought I'd give it a go. People have been saying it's better than Harry Potter, I love those books, but I doubt they're going to better - but I'll go with an open mind!

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

It's ok - I read so little that I cannot say much and it was only my 2nd CSI book that I read. But it's easy and fast to read so plane journey is perfect for that ;)

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

im reading "chasing harry winston" (dont laugh! :p). i burrowed it from a girl below me so i could have something to read for a few minutes each night before going to bed. its pretty bad, but im going to finish it anyway. the characters are immature, shallow and self absorbed for women who are 30. i never read devil wears prada, but it must have been better than this one for all the hype it got.

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm reading Lucky by Alice Sebold. She wrote Lovely Bones a few years ago. Lucky is her own personal account of when she was raped while in college.

It's very sad, but well written.

6. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

How have I never posted in here?! Shame on me.

I'm reading "Sickened" by Julie Gregory, it's a real life account of her childhood dealing with Munchausen by Proxy (where a parent makes a child sick for attention). Its disturbing and twisted, but really well written and I can't put it down.

Also "An assembly such a this" the first in the Fitzwilliam Darcy series by Pamela Aiden. Cause I'm harboring a growing obsession with Pride and Prejudice and a crush on Mr. Darcy. Its not so much a sequel to Pride and Prejudice as a Darcy's viewpoint of the events in the book, with some connecting original scenes. I was a little weary picking it up, as i was worried the author would play fast and loose with someone elses characters and plot, but its awesome so far and blends well with Jane Austens work. I really like encountering scenes from the original written from a different perspective.

7. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

I'm reading 'The Code Book' by Simon Singh. My math teacher asked me do that. And first I wasn't pleased at all, but when I started reading it, I immediatly changed my mind. It's not written in the style no one will ever understand. You learn so much about codes e.g. how they were made and how you can solve them. I'm already half-way through it and can't stop reading. It's so interesting how easy you can solve some of them and how clever the people were thousands of years ago.
    I'm also reading 'New moon' by Stephenie Meyer. I haven't read a lot yet, but from what I can say it's at least as good as 'Twilight', I think.

8. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I'm currently reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, and A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks. All of them are awesome!

9. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm actually re-reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo for the nth. I really love the book, it's that good. People who have seen the film but haven't read the book should read the book. The copy I have belonged to my grandfather. It's actually older than me. I think I have one of the first editions of the book.

10. Billy

Billy Hit and Run

I'm actually reading CSI In Extremis, but I don't really like it.

11. Calihan

Calihan Captain

The First Commandment by Brad Thor. Even better than Takedown, the plot was intense and I loved how it was written with Scot acting against the President's orders and the effects of that. His books get better as they go on.

The Last Patriot by Brad Thor. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as well but for a totally different reason. I enjoyed how he mixed historical fact with historical fiction. Made for a great read for someone who loves history.

The Appeal by John Grisham standard legal novel nothing to write home about. I'd say skip it unless you were a major Grisham fan.

Don't Look Back by James Patterson. My first Patterson but defineitly not my last. I loved how creepy the book got and how the ending was ambiguous as to what happened. I also thought it was interesting to read how all of these events got into the character's head.

Last to Die by James Grippando. The plot for the book was amazing and I must say I was quite surprised by the ending. The premise of the will was ingenious.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorn. I liked the book and can see why students read it. A major detractor for me was the amount of time it took to figure out what something meant because of the language differences.

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Lots of text books for college, but since they are most English classes a lot of poetry, short stories, and a few actual novels.

Currently Pride and Prejudice, Faerie Queen, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Beowulf, and Dr. Faustus.

13. AnJella

AnJella CSI Level One

I finally started reading 'Eclipse' last night.
    I really like it. In my opinion it's better than the frist two books. I'm kinda addicted to it and I'm already on page 470. I don't know what to read after I'll have finished 'Breaking Dawn', too.
    It's the same ith the 'Harry Potter' series. I actually don't like all this fantasy stuff, but somehow I could never stop reading the books. I read all seven of them in less then two weeks.

14. Little_Peaches

Little_Peaches Police Officer

I've actually just started the Twilight series. Shame on me for taking so long. Got to read several children's books for my uni course aimed at kids round about 9-11, I read Flour Babies last week and will prob do one or two HPs. I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks

15. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ You might want to read "Holes" by Louis Sachar. I had to read it for my Teaching Degree program in my English course. It's not a bad little book, either, and a pretty quick read. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.