Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New York

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CSIaholic

CSIaholic Dead on Arrival

Re: Season 8 Spoiler Discussion - There's Nothing You Can't Do In New

The storyline is to show how Danny is dealing with the new responsibility. And they are going to show that. I just think that Danny needs to be at the lab. If he's not at the lab, its not like he is a homicide detective or anything so he doesn't have any reason to be in the show. And the way that they are bringing him back to the lab is the most realistic way. How else would they do it? I think that the only reason he would give up his promotion is for his family.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

What I do not understand, that is why to have wanted this promotion if it is to abandon it then.
    It is not very serious face to face of his team. Furthermore on the base, this promotion was not to help the couple financially? If he returns to the lab, he does not lose his seniority and thus of money?

I can understand that the couple can suffer at the beginning of this change, but I think that a better organization could mitigate this problem.
    As said it PA, there is many couples who succeed in taking out there, it is just a question of organization.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

IMO, it's because it's a DL storyline disguised as "character develolpment." Give Danny a promotion and give him some scenes away from the lab, but in the end it all comes down to Danny is nothing more than one half of DL and everything must ultimately revolve around that. Them overcoming a stumbling block to their twu wuv is more important to TPTB than any real development.

I'm sure when he comes back to the lab they won't address any isses about seniority or money because all that matters in the end is DL is still together and stronger than ever!!!!11!!

It all fits in with how DL hasn't been treated like an adult relationship since its inception.

ETA: If TPTB wants Danny back in the lab there are plenty of ways to do it without making it about DL. How about he gets injured again and can't work the streets? How about he decides he doesn't like being responsible for other people? How about he screws up and is demoted? All of these things would also give DL something to discuss as a couple without it being all about thier relationship. Danny as a character shouldn't have to revolve around DL as a couple ALL the time.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It seems to me that they're finding a way to 'undo' the promotion thing, in a way, because it was added at the end of season 7 when the show might have ended. As an end-of-series development, it was good because it showed that their lives and careers aren't over if the show is over, that they're moving and growing and changing even after the cameras stop rolling. Plus, it gave a sense of 'future', with Danny saying he might run the lab someday. Now that the show is coming back, it's not convenient to have him out of his usual spot (and I guess they can only come up with so many contrived ways for him to be involved with the case every week), so they have to ask themselves how to bring him back. Falling back on DL is the obvious choice, considering that's all either character has really had for a long time. :/

It ultimately keeps him stagnant in his career, though, if he earns a promotion and then gives it up to stay where he's been for years. There's nothing wrong with his job, of course, but is he going to stay there forever because it's easiest and lets him and his wife carpool and have couple time during the whole shift? IDK, I think it seems like it's the easy option, not necessarily the most interesting or dynamic or dramatic or whatever. (In real life, I say do whatever works for you, but on TV I'd prefer the more interesting option.) If one of them had to leave the lab for some reason, would their marriage fall apart or their family suffer? No, not automatically - it would ultimately be up to them to make it work. Having Danny come back to the lab because he's not happy with the change of scenery just feels...boring. I think that's what bothers me the most about this. The whole promotion thing felt interesting and refreshing after several long years of same-old, same-old, and now they're probably going to take it away from me again. *sigh*

That said, we don't know the exact details yet, so it might work out better than I'm thinking it will. I don't want to assume the writers will do a bad job, but the relationship between these two has never been the most innovative or interesting thing from my POV. Having their entire characters revolving around the relationship really doesn't help.

I'm looking forward to seeing Danny in a different atmosphere and role for a while, though, however long it actually lasts.

5. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Why is that so well said Faylinn :lol::lol: ok because I'm french and my english not so good !!! you just read in my mind and exprimed it so well :thumbsup:

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

:lol: I'm afraid I probably repeated what somebody (or several people) already said, but thank you. :p

7. MS1213

MS1213 Hit and Run

It's not just about Danny and Lindsay anymore. They have a child together. Whatever happens to either of them, whatever big decisions they now make, Lucy has to be factored into that, because she is going to be affected in some way or another--directly or indirectly. The reason Danny sat the Sergeants exam in the first place was because he was thinking about his families future. If he starts to realize that this job is beginning to affect his family in negative ways--putting a strain on his marriage or drastically reducing the time he gets to spend with his wife and daughter--I can certainly understand why he would start to question the positions worth. And to me this is a more realistic way of getting Danny back at the lab--if that is indeed their intention. Its most certainly better than the predictable routes of having him responsible for a Rookies death and quitting or having him screw up somehow and get demoted.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

source: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/csi_tribute_leD384hhHAgXOftm1hoNEO#ixzz1Ud4eyY71

9. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

On Danny's promotion: He could ask Mac to pull some strings so he can keep his rank but return to the lab, or get assigned as a Homicide Detective Sergeant with Flack.

'NYPD Blue' had Sipowicz stay in his Detective Squad when he made Sergeant by pulling strings with the chief, I believe, and Mac does have connections.

10. PerfectAnomaly

Um. He also stated taking the test and being promoted would be good for his career and could lead to him being the head of the lab some day. That doesn't have to be tied to Lucy and Lindsay and could be a career ambition he has independent of his family. Obviously his family factors into his decisions, but he should be able to advance his career without it having a negative impact on his family. People do it all the time. But Faylinn is right. They painted themselves into a corner and have to get out of it. So Danny has to come back to the lab. The reason doesn't have to be DL related even though what happens to Danny will impact his wife and child.

I don't see other scenarios that don't include his promotion being a stumbling block for DL to be "predictable." If fact, the most "predictable" option is having it, once again, be all about DL all the time.

I'll throw out another reason they could bring Danny back to the lab that has nothing to do with his boo and his spawn: Maybe he realizes he really loves and misses the science part of his job and that's why he comes back to the lab. There, BOOM, problem solved and no unnecessary Drama Llama.

11. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

(Sry. Apologies for teh massive post related hiccup prior. The digital realm is proving decidely uncooperative today).

ETA:

How about, can we have a great S8, whatever it brings?

The CSI tag no doubt helped, as did the fact that there's an established market for the whole franchise worldwide. Bottom line, if it didn't remain a profitable show, it wouldn't have been brought back, whatever the various ratings have been.

May I observe that having a Name associated didn't help teh likes of Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior? Which would no doubt have had a lower production budget, had a great time slot, and established lead in?

However it happened, whatever odds it beat, whatever math inexplicably doesn't add up, whatever unforeseeable cosmic cataclysm somehow impossibly thwarted non-existent Smack, whatever personal and professional circumstances led MK to depart and SW to arrive, NY got a S8 order with Danville as part of the show. That's good enuff fer me.

Imma just leave things at that :p.

Nicely said.

:lol:. Right. Tracked down PV just to have such matters answered :p.

Sigh. "Ships passing," huh?

Well, insofar as the implication is that Danny and Lindsay have indeed been separated, and have had to find ways to exist independently of one another since he got his new assignment, I'm happy.

...That said, I'm thinking it remains unlikely that we'll actually see much of them apart, outside of Messer dealing with Gorgeous Rookie Screw Up (which might have been written to expand on the nature of !Tensions resulting from the promotion). I expect that a great deal of Danny's and Lindsay's early screen time will still be composed of the pair of them together, wherein they will emote about said separation. Not quite so keen on that.

Inquiring minds want to know!! :p.

..."The Littlest Messer?". Lol. The kid has a future on a spin-off, apparently.

Ditto.

Well, as with Mac working elsewhere, I don't really expect NY to keep the team fragmented for long. PV's "it takes awhile/they have to talk about it" would seem to suggest that's where he'll eventually find himself.

(Anyone wanna start a betting pool on how long it takes?)

Unless Danny and Lindsay are written as being on completely different shifts, to the extent that they then wouldn't even have time together at home, then separation anxiety and job pressures really shouldn't be quite so dramatic an issue :p. Given both are cops, it's also bit ridiculous to think they wouldn't know the possible ramifications that such a promotion might bring.

Ships passing does rather sound like opposite shifts might be something they're contending with, and that's fair enough to have them deal with.

Lol. Look, it is understandable that a certain portion of screentime is devoted by the writers to addressing a relationship the show created, that's a given especially as it is between two main characters in an ensemble show. But they are cops. On a cop show. It might be nice to see them both foremost as cops from time to time, and not always as half each a relationship.

It might also be nice to not have relationship drama feel as if it trumps cop drama on a cop show. Danny's a Sgt. responsible for a Rookie on a learning curve. Danny's married to Lindsay, and his promotion has had an impact on them. Both are fair. Both could be interesting. But I'd like to see more of the former and less of the latter. On a cop show an' all.

Danny & Lindsay have receded from being two characters and essentially become one. The writers are not in the least obliged to write them that way. That's how things came to work, not necessarily how it could or should ;).

There isn't anything wrong with it. I'd just personally like to see Messer being a sergeant as well as the DL component.

Being a Sgt. wouldn't necessarily mean longer hours than he was already working, unless he's putting them in of his own accord, and possibly unpaid, which would defeat the purpose of part of his motivation in taking the exam. Contrary to belief, extensive overtime is not just available for the taking.

The responsibility he now carries is, for me, the most interesting part of the storyline, because it has the potential for his character to be challenged in ways he hasn't been in years.

That Lindsay has not been mentioned specifically within this at all suggests her participation will be DL-based as well, as opposed to getting any separate screentime or related story arc where she faces something solo.

There are endless opportunities for TPTB to give each separate focus. It's apparently not the point of the exercise. DL is.

This is the most significant offering of material to Danny in years, so I'm not surprised that there are mixed reactions, that some will enjoy the DL side of it more, and that some are really hoping for interesting things to happen with Danny as a result of the promotion. It's all fair game.

NY could apparently write a grand opera's worth of dramatic material with all of them, and the spoiler sites would still feature questions about what DL had for lunch :lol:.

I'd agree if I thought the promotion had in fact been created to be anything other than a relationship drama. I don't think it's in disguise at all.

That NY feel the need to feature the relationship to the point of excluding any other individual material is what's perpetually disappointing.

From your keyboard to PTB's ears. I'm hoping that sorta stuff does come into play, that the issues are greater than separation.

An interesting point. (Also all very well and concisely said, btw).

Although.

I agree that S7 was a way to set up a possible Ever After, but it was as open ended and ambiguous for Danny as it was for Mac.

Just because Danny took the Sgt. exam didn't mean he had to have been written to pass it, nor that there would be slots available to be assigned to in that capacity, nor that he had to accept the transfer, especially as both Danny and Lindsay knew what it might entail.

This sounds like TPTB choosing to continue on with a DL line more than worrying about re-incorporating Danny, given they didn't have to write him leaving the labs at all. It kinda seems more in keeping with how they've written Mac as well, stepping out and then returning.

That said, I do like that they've taken it on to shake things up even that much. And I can't wait to see a) the 9/11 aspect to the premiere, b)what state Jo has left Mac's desk in :p, and c) Messer in a position of greater and unavoidable responsibility.

Very cool. I was hoping they would. Also remain impressed with the scope of the premiere. Looking forward to it.

Dunno. I guess it's possible. Well, anything is on teevee :lol: but I'd guess his rank & title, would foremost be determined by the capacity he works in, whatever that is. I'd guess NYPD bureacracy would not wish to have titles, ranks, and related salaries mismatch.

What seems to have been omitted in consideration, or at least not spoken of, is whether or not anyone new came in to take Messer's slot in the labs at all. (Unless I've missed something in that regard?)

Just as Danny would have to wait for an opening to be assigned a Sgt. command, someone else would likely have been assigned to the labs once an opening arose there. That's also where it could have been interesting for the rest of the team, in addition to them working with Mac on apparent sabbatical, Messer moving up and out, and Jo in charge.

It's not like NYPD just randomly shuffle people around. ...except on teevee :p.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  12. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

CBS - Vidéo saison 2011-2012 http://t.co/RKYVlUD

13. PerfectAnomaly

Casting news for episode three from TVLine.com:

I've never watch Dexter or True Blood, so I have no clue if this is good or bad news. ;)

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Well, I missed Season 3 (they're on Season 4 now), so I totally have no idea who she is either. I'll have to check Ms. Ford's credits on the IMDb. I guess the last car-related episodes on NY was the one with Danica Patrick & Antonio Sabato, Jr. (a NASCAR-type race) and before that, the Super!Car one (James Bond type stealing from apartments with a tricked-up sportscar).

15. CSIaholic

CSIaholic Dead on Arrival

He already got injured once, why would they make him get injured again?

Okay, I can see him not liking the responsibility but that seems like such a weak reason to give up his promotion if he hasn't been there for that long. (But then who knows? With CSI: NY's weird timeline, he's probably been there forever.)

And oh my gosh, why would they make Danny screw up? He's always screwing up. That would be predictable and annoying.

I agree with you about them making things revolve around DL as a couple all the time. Like I said before, Lindsay could use A LOT of character development.

...I am just saying that while I understand the frustration about everything that happens with Danny (...and Lindsay, I guess, even though she doesn't get any of her own storylines but whatever :rolleyes:) being tied into DL, him coming back to the lab because of his family is IMO the best way to do it. If they hadn't made everything about DL in the first place, this wouldn't be that big of a problem, but they did so we just have to deal with it.

And also, there ARE a lot of DL fans out there. While we love the cute (I know they make you guys feel like you're about to vomit, you don't need to get all riled up about me saying this) moments that they get, DL had like zero drama last season. So yes, we would like to see DL have some issues that they need to deal with. And I can't wait to see Danny have to deal with the new responsibility. This storyline, as short lived as it may be, can be interesting if they do it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.