Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Woo hoo!!! A new thread! :D Thread #1 is located here.

Since some people wanted a holiday or school break and since some people wanted a new challenge, I've decided on a compromise. We'll do a sort of non-challenge challenge...extra time to write, a not-so-serious song, and a holiday theme to boot! :) If you want to write, you can, and if you want a break, that's okay too.

So we're going to do a Christmas song theme! I've picked a song, and it's a perplexing case that haunts Nick this holiday season. There's been a gruesome death, and it's up to him to figure out if things are as they seem or if there is a cover-up going on. The question is, was it indeed a reindeer that killed grandma?? :lol:
    [​IMG]

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
    Written by Randy Brooks

Grandma got run over by a reindeer
    walkin' home from our house Christmas eve.
    You can say there's no such thing as Santa.
    But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

She'd been drinkin' too much egg nog.
    And we'd begged her not to go.
    But she'd forgot her medication,
    and she staggered out the door into the snow.

When we found her Christmas mornin,'
    at the scene of the attack.
    She had hoof prints on her forehead,
    And incriminatin' Claus marks on her back.

Grandma got run over by a reindeer,
    You can say there's no such thing as Santa,
    but as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

Now were all so proud of Grandpa.
    He's been takin' this so well.
    See him in there watchin' football,
    drinkin' beer and playin' cards with cousin Belle.

It's not Christmas without Grandma.
    All the family dressed in black.
    And we just can't help but wonder:
    Should we open up her gifts or send them back?
    (Send them back)

But as for me and Grandpa, we believe.

Now the goose is on the table.
    And the pudding made of fig.
    And a blue and silver candle,
    that would just have matched the hair in Grandma's wig.

I've warned all my friends and neighbors.
    "Better watch out for yourselves."
    They should never give a license,
    to a man who drives a sleigh and plays with elves.

walkin' home from our house, Christmas eve.
    (Sing it Grandpa)

walkin' home from our house, Christmas eve.

You can listen to it here.

Remember, everyone reading the thread is welcome to submit a story! :)

And now the guidelines...PLEASE read them all carefully! If you have any questions, let me know here or via PM/email. Thanks! :)

1. Word limit on the fic is 2,500. Please remember to give the fic a title and a short summary (neither are counted in the word limit).

2. The only restrictions on the content of the fic are that Nick must be the main character and that the story must be based on the song lyrics (below). You can base your fic on the idea of the song, whole or in part, use some of the lyrics...whatever you want as long as the song is your inspiration. The fics will be presented later by way of a link, so there are no worries about mature content.

3. Please do not post your fic or any links here! Send your fic to me at the email in my profile (or you can PM it to me if it's short enough). If you email it, you can put it in the body of the email or send it as an attachment. Please put the title of your fic in the subject line of the PM or email. Deadline for submissions is Saturday, January 2, at midnight EST.

4. Submissions should be anonymous! Please do not share your story with anyone else or tell anyone which one is yours once they are posted!

5. If you would like to have someone beta (proofread) your story, please choose someone who is NOT a participant in this challenge. Or if you like, I will be happy to beta your story when you send it to me. :) Just let me know when you send it.

6. Once all of the stories are in, we will publish the links to them and everyone can start reading! [​IMG]

7. After you have read the fics, you can post feedback for them. I will post the feedback guidelines when we get the stories up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  2. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2

Smokey! :guffaw:

I love this idea! A fun, lighthearted song - I can't wait to see what people will come up with! Come to think of it, I can't wait to see what I'll come up with!

And yay for a new thread!

3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

OMG, that is so funny! This could be lots of fun.

Oh we could soooooooooo have Nick out of character on this one. :guffaw:

I'm in and I'm still writing my story for the last challenge.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: I can't wait to see the fics for this one. Don't know if I will have one or not. I'll have to think about it and see if I can come up with anything.

5. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Hmmmm....a reindeer fic....I don't know if I have it in me or not.:confused:

6. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yeah sure... and you hope that we get a serious story idea out of this one??? :lol:

I don't even understand half of the song yet... well let's hope I get hit with a reindeer so I get an idea :guffaw:

7. Smokey

Nope! :p I'm hoping you have fun and write a silly, crazy story! All of you! There's plenty of time for serious stuff when we get back to the regular challenge. :)

8. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well I read the lyrics today again and again... and I don't know what to write fitting the song idea... but I got another Christmas fic idea :D

Can I use it for the challenge, even it doesn't have anything to do with a Grandma who got run over by a reindeer???

9. 915

915 CSI Level One

Okay got an idea don't know if it will work very well with the song though. I'm getting inspired to write something funny/entertaining :lol:

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm glad the deadline is January 2..phew..I have an exam to write..

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Hahaha I finally got an idea for this one. Now I just have to get myself to sit down and write it. :lol:

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Alright, I'm really really late in getting these reviews in. I apologize.

So here goes and man did everyone do a great job!!!

Escaping One Last Time - Aw, how sad. Grissom was right, in a way, Nick probably couldn't do anything about it. That's the problem with life, we get so busy we don't check in with our friends and family. Suicide is a hard thing to deal with because it is such a selfish act. I know, I've been there and have considered it myself. You just want the 'pain' to stop. However, I don't agree with Grissom in that once someone has decided to kill themselves, there's nothing you can do about it. He's partially right, but sometimes just being there, at the right moment, can change someone's mind. Good story. I would have like to see what Nick would say to the kids, but that's hard when there's a word limit.

Angels Around Us - Wow, that was just, wow! Great story! Poor Nicky, the things this man has gone through on the show and in fanfiction. Is it any wonder he isn't in a padded room. I really like the premise of this story and the use of the song lyrics. I was beginning to think that Nicky was going to die, but I loved, loved how Warrick came to him. It was so poignant how you just had Nick, Catherine, and Brass at his graveside. Warrick will protect his 'family', even in death. Great job!

The One Moment - Good story. That is so Nick, offering comfort and then she took advantage of that. Sex and comfort are not the same thing, Ellie! Ellie definitely has anger issues and she has no one to blame, but herself for the way her life is. Just like Nick to think it's his fault if Ellie holds this against Brass. Nope, it's not, but that's so Nick.

Peace - Aw, that was a sweet story. I'm glad Nick wasn't angry that Beth didn't tell him about his daughter, even though I know it will always bug him somewhat. Not getting to see her grow up, to be a father and, possibly, a husband. He did the right thing though, forgave Beth and now he can be with his daughter. Emily will have a great dad.

One More Case -
    Yup, that says it all. I really like this line. Nick is a hero and has shown that time and time again. I'm glad he didn't give up though. However, what Catherine was thinking is true, somehow, someway death will find Nick again. How many lives does he have left?

The Anniversary - Wow, that was great! I like that they marked the anniversary in the alley instead of his grave sight. It made the story that much more powerful. Grissom, sometimes I just want to smack that man. Move on. Right. Like that's easy. Nick is right, Eli deserves to know about his father and to see all the people that loved him. I really liked the end where he gave 'Warrick' the beer and the flowers to Catherine.

Wooden Angel - Wow, that was another, wow story! Beautiful! Ok, enough of the making me think you're going to kill Nick and then don't. My poor heart can't take it anymore. Ishmael showed he was more of a 'man' than any of those soldiers. He didn't shoot Nick and refused. That takes guts! Having Grissom at the end was a fantastic idea. Yup, he needed to find his 'best student'. This was a great story!!!!

I wish I could've joined in, considering it was my song, but just didn't have the time. Though I am still writing the story I would've entered.

Great job, everyone!

13. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

:guffaw:OMG :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: you crack me up :lol: You know I can't stop thinking of elfes and Santa's and reindeers and gnomes and there you go and bring in your reviews for last round :guffaw:

Well, at least you reviewed :thumbsup:

14. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

How does it look??? Has anyone of you started writing a fic yet???

I'm still thinking about it... I mean... well... I don't want to write about a dead grandma in my fic :( :lol:

I sure could write a Christmas fic... but I absolutely have no idea how to use the grandma and her biggest enemy Santa in it...

And that the deadline is that late doesn't help me either... I mean I know there is still time, so why thinking about it NOW??? ;)

I know, Mom, we're complaining we don't have time to write and there I go and complain that the deadline is too late :lol:

Just ignore it ;)

I need to figure out how to write a fic that fits the song idea and my idea of Nick as an ugly little gnome :D

15. Smokey

You seem to have a lot of thoughts running through your head there, NickyFan! :lol: Put them in some sort of order and write a fic!

I have a few ideas too, and I'm sure I'll come up with something. :)