"Meet Market" Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 28, 2007.

1. butterflylove206

butterflylove206 Prime Suspect

Re: Champagne and cocoons

I thought Keppler was trouble from the begining and now after the little heart to heart he had with Sara in Grissom's office I think Kepplers the mini killer

2. bookworm1973

bookworm1973 Dead on Arrival

I said it might be a reference to Butterflied which is just an idea I had because that seems to me the eppy that Grissom really realizes (or admits to himself) his feelings for Sara. If (at least) subconsiously he still associates butterflies with Sara that might, just infinitely, remotely, possibly, be the reason he sent her a cocoon as opposed to something else.

And technically, butterflies emerge from a chrysalis, not a cocoon (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupa) - which was the basis for my original ? - does any1 know what type of moth makes this particular cocoon Gris sent Sara?

3. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I'm just saying what I thought it was ;) The writers said that Grissom was going to give Sara something in a later episode to try and make things right in their relationship and that it would be a reference to Butterflied.

4. Annika

Annika Prime Suspect

I don't think that letter was so much OOC . In love or not , we are talking about a guy who likes to quote Shakespeare and other authors almost all the time . He reads a lot and not only scientific stuff. Yes he is more of a thinker but his choice of reading material suggests that his personality is not only science and nothing else

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

PLEASE DO NOT change the title of the thread. It confuses people who click on, thinking its a ship discussion only when it is about the episode. "Meet Market".

Thank you.

6. virology101

virology101 Dead on Arrival

About the love letter..

I actually think it was very in character for Gris to write that.. As a matter of fact, it makes a lot of sense. He wants to be able to express what he feels , but he isn't, so he makes a feeble attempt and then uses someone else's words to clarify what his scientific vocabulary simply can't. He wants her to have no doubt that he is thinking of her.

Also, the hesitation in writing the address is quite understandable too. In sending that letter, he is not only opening himself to any number of hurts (from Sara herslef, to their coworkers, to the higher-ups) but he is also putting her in a similar situation.. He'd rather not put her in any sort of situation where she would be comprimised. He only wants to protect her, and himself.

Take it from the girl who re-wrote a love letter 27 times, then settled for a pre-printed "Thank You" card.

7. bookworm1973

bookworm1973 Dead on Arrival

Raven - must've missed reading that about the writers referencing Butterflied. I just started reading the board and I haven't caught up on all the back posts. Sorry. I was just afraid I had started a squabble over an idea that had popped into my own teeny head. Cool though, if I was right.

8. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Don't apologize, it's perfectly alright :) Sorry if I sounded rude though, I've been in a bad mood all day so I apologize :lol: :p

I liked this ep a lot and I thought the letter was in-character for Grissom because there are two things we know: he's in love and he's also Grissom ;) So responding in poem form is perfect for him.

9. brass_lives

brass_lives Prime Suspect

Re: "Meet Market" Discussion *Spoilers*

Great post. That's it exactly. You can't sum him up as a scientist and only a scientist. He has shown that he likes "nice things" as Lady Heather said, and he likes his roller coasters. He took Terri Miller out to a nice restaurant. He's not completely clueless. The letter was his way of extending that part of himself to Sara. I hope we get to see where that letter ends up.

10. Cova

Cova Witness

Thirded. I wish people would just lay off Grissom and Sara already; namely this whole "letter" business. Anyone who has watched the show from the very start should know by now that these two while yes they are scientists deep down they're both just as human as the rest of us. No matter how obscure their interests might be.

Regarding the letter itself,

To be honest I think Grissom stopped himself from mailing the letter because he's worried he might screw up like he has in the past with Sara. And I think he understands now he has made more than his fair share of screw-ups in the past in this department and he wants to change that, and show Sara he does really, honestly love her.

Just my two cents.

11. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

I know 2 cases of continuity in Nick's case. 1) In Bodies in motion it happened twice - an officer asked how he was doing and DA Michaels got brushed off by Warrick for asking about him.

2) In Gum Drops, Nick himself said "I was rescued" and Sara hurried to tell him it wasn't his time to die.

That's all the continuity Nick is worth according to TPTB - so Nick and Cath will just be dandy
    :lol:

Continuity and Nick are the same as Warrick and screentime; non-existant.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

what, warrick? whos warrick? :p
    i think in the past theyve said 'we didnt want to deal with it anymore' about certain character storylines. but honestly, it just takes a minute. i guess since csi is supposed to follow close to real time were supposed to think theyve had the past week to deal with it offscreen since everyone was all fine and dandy in the episode :rolleyes:

13. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

upon watching again, I have more to add regarding Sara and the upscale dating service shall we call it :D

when Jesse was explaining to her what a relationship is he said 'who wouldn't want to be swept off their feet?' or something to that affect, anyway it made wonder if that is what she wants/desires/is getting from Grissom?
    Maybe if that is what society calls a relationship is she getting it? And then we see Grissom write a letter but not send it? and if I'm not mistaken, he has the wrong address for the lab anyway...and why would he send it to the lab?

**don't throw anything at me**

but it was just MY and I repeat MY observation

14. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I just saw the episode recently I was with friends the first time it aired and just downloaded it on iTunes so I could watch it when I had time. Honestly I thought this was one of the weakist episodes in a long time, beither case truely grabed me and I don't much care for the Grissom Sara relationship so his writingf the letter and being unable to mail it was of no interest to me. I feel like the writers were burnt out when they wrote this.

15. Happy Grissom

Happy Grissom Hit and Run

With the benefit of hindsight and retrospection, I'd like to throw my own two cents into the ring as well:

Season 6 kept the great CSI writing track record going. I always think the good folks running the original CSI had a vision and idea as how they'd bring the series along. With the perimeter or the frame/boundary set, there was room for the characters to grow, evolve, and change as episode stories went. I was totally enthralled by CSI from the get go not just because the scientific aspect of the show, but more by the characters the show put in place.

To me, to watch TV is to be entertained, anything else I get out of it is extra bonus. So while it was fascinating to see how a bullet nip an internal organ in slow motion, how many times it'd take until the novelty wears off? Personally, it's always the characters draw me in and make me stay with a show. I'd like to know why those characters react and behave the way they do.

There's no way to deny it: Grissom was the show. He made CSI. It's utterly difficult to find someone to step into this unenviable situation when Petersen took a leave from the show. Liev Schreiber was brilliant. He carved out a place for Keppler in spite of the long shadow cast by Petersen's Grissom. Still, we shouldn't and couldn't ignore the smart and skillful scriptwriting. I was not disappointed at all even after all these years when I rewatched it over the weekend.

Here I'd like to reply to couple of very old postings:
    It would have been helpful if fans like us paid some attention to what the actors/actresses had to say about the role they played. Sara's relationship with Grissom was sure complicated. Heck, both Grissom and Sara were complicated and full of issues. Falling in love/having an intimate relationship at workplace sure has its ramifications. But it's life. What made you hold on to the notion that it was a 'stressful and unhappy relationship' for them? Petersen didn't think so. Jorja didn't think so. And I think it was lovely and beautiful that two lonely and awkward science geeks could find love in each other. More power to them.

Now for the 'I will miss you' part --- sorry, lady. With due respect, I think you missed the point back then. I need to quote the first part of Grissom's letter here:
    'Our parting was awkward. I don't know why I find it so difficult to express my feelings to you. Even though we're far apart, I can see you as clearly as if you were here with me..... I said I'll miss you, and I do.'

As for some regular bashers talking about Grissom 'finally realized what a bad idea the relationship is', I mean, didn't they have a clear look at Grissom's letter or listen to what he had to say? Why harping on Sara while Grissom was the other half of the relationship? How could Grissom's scene be said as wasting on writing a letter to Sara? Also, what was wrong for two people in love writing letter to each other regardless how old they are?

Trust me, I am talking from personal experience. My husband goes aboard half year of the time. We do talk over the phone, keeping in touch via e-mails, and yes, we still send letters to each other. To those who hold up their noes at this, I can only say I wish one day you, too, can experience the joy of receiving a letter from a loved one, let it be a friend, partners, children and whatnot.

Why didn't Grissom send the letter out? It was just Grissom being Grissom. I might not have the right read on this, but I do think some of his old self-doubt came out to play havoc with his head again. He was so afraid of doing things wrong and he tended not to do them at all. I have couple of friends have the same mind-set. Still, people do change, don't we all? Grissom was rather playful in the Pilot episode. He changed as episodes went on. So what was the talk about him having a personality change in Season 6?

It's too bad as fans we don't give the writers enough credit for taking the characters to new places. CSI's writings suffered after S10. I heard Petersen was rather picky with how things were done on CSI. So guess we do owe Petersen a big 'Thank you' for keeping the scriptwriters on their toes when he was around. I will forever grateful we had ten glorious seasons to enjoy this show. It's such a treat to watch those characters grow up and old along with us!