Grade 'Reignited'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 27, 2012.

?

How would you grade Regnited?

1. A+

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. B+

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The ninth season premiere of CSI: NY is tomorrow, Friday 9/28! Give it a watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

Re: Grade 'Ignite'

Isn't the correct title "Reignited", not "Ignite"?

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Fixed! :)

4. ~Sunny~

~Sunny~ Witness

I just want to post my first reaction to that incredible premiere. But I'm not a native speaker and not very good at telleing what I feel about it at the moment ;)

But I can say that it was an action loaded and very unpredictable episode. There was no chasing of the suspect scene like in so many previous episodes, I sort of liked that.

I don't want to tell too much about the episode right know, because not everyone has seen it yet. That's why I'll edit my post tomorrow :)

But I can say one thing::thumbsup:

5. JoFlackPenguin

JoFlackPenguin Hit and Run

i LOVED IT!!!! xD i would vote A++ on this if I could, great season opener that's for sure :)

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I really liked this episode. I gave it a solid B. Rob Morrow was great as Leonard. I like that Mac's memory loss is not remembering the names of things. That's an interesting take on things. I also really like Christine and Mac together. Eddie was hilarious as usual.

The hockey game opening was great all around. Sid and Lindsay talking movies and then Lindsay wanting to kick some ass when the guy yelled, "Messer, you suck!" was funny. Danny being the one to start the fight was awesome. I also liked the fact that the NYPD and NYFD are not friendly with each other.

The case kept my interest and I really am looking forward to the resolution.

I hope liking this episode bodes well for the rest of the season.

7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

During the show I was following some tweets with the hashtag and Eddie.

I do have a question for our medical resident here but I need to wait and see if they explain it.

8. PerfectAnomaly

I forgot. The one thing that confused the hell out of me was when Mac was first talking to Leonard. He was explaining fires he set in the mid to late 90's and showing Hawkes and Lindsay processing scenes. Were we supposed to believe they were the ones processing the old fires or were they processing the current fire?

9. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Solid episode and nice to see that for a change,one of the CSIS didn't magically heal from injuries he or she got. I remember Delko having reprucussions as well.
    Great start to season 9 and hope to see more.

10. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I took it forgranted that it was just flashing to Lindsey and Hawkes processing the current scene but it being the same trace and evidence that had been recovered from the fires set in the 90's.

Right, I can't promise too much of a coherent review as I'm writing it off the cuff shortly after seeing it and my brain isn't quite forming proper words yet :lol: In a nutshell I thought it was awesome and brilliantly done. Really the only quibble I have with it is that I have no idea about what month or even year we're supposed to be in as it's "6 months later" but still shirt-sleeves weather outside so clearly not Nov/Dec like it should be.... But ah well, such timeline anomalies I've kind of gotten used to at this point :p

I think what struck me the most was the ease of the episode. It had a flow, a naturalness, a believability, an un-forced quality to it with everything from the acting to the cinematography. It didn't feel like I was watching scenes playing out on a set like a lot of the past 3-4 seasons have, instead it seemed way more like the early days in the reality of the streets and the lighting and the locations. And the cast seemed really relaxed and natural too. I'm not sure if this is all due to the fact that pretty much everyone is going on the assumption that s9 really is the last one (no matter what the exec producers might say in interviews) and there's a "to hell with it, let's have fun and go for it" perspective, or things really have gotten properly back in sync for the first time in ages. Whatever the reason, I'm loving every last second, and if this episode is a portend of what is to come (and based on the promo for next week I'm daring to say it is), this is going to be one of their best seasons yet.

Now to comment on specifics that jumped out at me....

- I about fell off the couch at the beginning with Mac getting out of shower and then dressed all in casual clothes and looking like he's clearly still recovering and not back to full strength :devil:

- Flack playing "ref" between Danny and Adam had me outright laughing, and the way he got the firefighter to honestly think his mother was dead was brilliant :lol: I've missed Don Flack :D He was so awesome the entire ep, and I really did like how he treated Leonard. It made for the perfect balance to Mac's attitude and made the whole dynamic absolutely brilliant. And I love how he was so unapologetic about it all too, and that for all Mac took a somewhat more understanding approach to Leonard, he clearly didn't take the slightest issue with Flack taking the threatening and derisive edge that he did.

- Lindsey and Sid arguing was superb and one of those scenes which just worked and didn't feel in the least bit staged. I actually liked Lindsey in this ep :eek:

- Danny being the one to start the fight after the hockey game was perfect, and I LOL'd when Lindsey just hid her face :guffaw:

- And a HUGE thing that I liked and was really really nervous about ahead of time was the whole "memory loss" thing. Thank god it wasn't actually memory loss! I was utterly impressed and beyond relieved when it transpired that Mac actually has a type of aphasia that really is common in patients who have suffered some sort of anoxic brain injury. Typically this type of aphasia is seen in people who have suffered a stroke, but the basic physiology that one's brain has been denied oxygen and suffered some sort of damage is essentially the same as when Mac went into cardiac arrest in the s8 finale. And what really impressed me the most is how accurate they were in portraying exactly how it felt to him to know what an object or thing was, but be unable to come up with the word for it. I've seen it a lot in the patients I've taken. Imagine the most frustrating form of having a word "on the tip of your tongue" but you can't ever get it out without a direct prompt. And him at the end coming up with a way to cope and manage this deficit so no one would know what he was struggling with was absolutely heartbreaking. True memory loss wouldn't have worked. This type of aphasia and lasting deficit does perfectly for so many reasons (medical and in relation to his character).

- The crime plot and twists and intrigue were great. Neither overworked nor stupidly simplistic, and I liked how the episode wasn't a cliffhanger per se but is clearly leading in to a much darker chapter 2. And speaking of which, the promo to next week's ep was seriously disturbing! If they pull it off with the visceral rawness that the promo indicated, NY is for sure going back to their dark/gritty/no-punches-pulled identity. I love it! (even though being burned alive is probably the thing that terrifies me the most....)

- I so like Mac and Christine together. When the building exploded with the chief inside and Mac was outside and could nothing more than essentially watch his friend die in front of him as glass and debris reined down, all I could think was, "How many times does this poor man have to go through this? :(" And then there was the funeral, and the number of people close to him that Mac has had to see buried.... I wanted to beat the writers for making him go through it again. But then it when it cut to him and Christine was standing next to him, her hand in his, I realized it was also the first time in years that he hasn't had to cope alone and that made me so incredibly happy :) I'm really impressed with how the writers have developed their relationship and their interactions with each other. The brief scene of her with him at the hospital was so *happy-sad-squishy-hug-oh Mac!*

Yes, I'm in happy land from the type and amount of Mac in this episode, in case anyone can't tell :lol:

But it wasn't just Mac. All the characters were great. I adored Flack, I actually liked Lindsey, Adam, Danny and Sid were great, and even Hawkes managed to not be actively annoying. I loved the feel of the scenes, the atmosphere, the dark implications for next week.... yep, I'm one happy person right now :D

A+

11. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

That made sense that they were doing the current scene even though they found some stuff from the early '90's.

Loved seeing Mac get out of the shower. :drool:

Showed his back which I have a question about since Eddie had a question as to the scar on Mac's back. When he was on the Operating room table, they made an incision on his belly but I assume they had to put some sutures on his back as well?

I got the sense the big operation happened on his belly and not his back.

I really liked this episode and the flow was really good. Didn't have too much of Christine even though I think it was sweet she was even there when he went to see the doctor.

Not much of everyone though but it was really cool to see the team work together but need more Adam.

The hockey part was cool and I loved it. Poor Adam.

Speaking of Adam, why is he sleeping on the job?

12. PerfectAnomaly

I was eating dinner during the beginning so I wasn't totally paying attention. It just looked weird to see Lindsay and Hawkes processing scenes when Mac was talking about old cases. I know it only makes sense for them to be processing the current scene, but it threw me for a loop. I was like :wtf:

ETA: Adam was falling asleep because he had been working on the same thing for a long time. Jo asked him how long he had been doing the facial recognition from the scene and he said something like "3 or 4 years."

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I thought it was pretty good...I agree with the unpredictable part.

Too bad the shirtless Mac was from the back lol.

The hockey game was fun. I wanna see that part again.

I think he should tell Christine about what's going on...I'm curious if they'll be a ep where she finds out and they talk about it. I did love their parts at the end though.

It's interesting to me about the departments hating each other. I wonder if that ever happens for real.

14. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Let's put it this way - in any city or service area, the fire and police departments don't hate each, but there is always a level of rivalry and "we're better than you" back and forth, and statements of vast superiority from each side to the other :lol: Depending on the setup of the area, us medics either get caught in the middle of this intrinsic rivalry if we work for a private ambulance company, or if we're municipal and part of the fire department like in NY or Chicago then our "side" is clearly chosen ;)

Yep. If you noticed they pulled the shrapnel of the bullet of his abdomen, so what had to have happened was the bullet entered his back, bounced of his ribs and shattered, ending up in pieces throughout his abdominal cavity. They would have been able to determine this with x-rays done pre-op which is why we saw the surgical incision start at and extend below his rib cage.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Thanks for the insight :)

And while I'm posting again, I also wonder where they'll take Mac's situation...things could get sticky eventually. (even though somebody said in another thread that it wasn't played exactly right and a real injury of that nature would've caused more problems, not just the forgetting.)