Forensics Questions

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Alyssa, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

Hit your sciences hard, like physics, chemistry, and biology. Don't skimp on the math. I would also suggest some kind of public speaking course to prepare to testimony.

Continue in college the same way. If your college doesn't have a forensics program, major in chemistry (not criminal justice). Try to get internships in local forensics labs for the last year - 6 months you have in college.

2. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

Yeah forensicsguy is definitly right. Get a chemistry degree. Having a Chemistry Degree is the best way to get a job at a crime lab. Biology is the next best probably. Criminal Justice is a waste of your time though. Unless you wanna be a cop.

3. ThroughALens

ThroughALens Dead on Arrival

Thanks for all the help, much more help than my counselors, they don't know anything about forensics so what could they do. I'm glad to know people who like what I like. This will really help me in the long run. Do you guys know of good schools for science, probably Chem, majors? Not sure what schools to apply to. Thanks.

4. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

You live where?

5. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but is there a chance for foreign pupils to study at a US university? I'd like to do forensics later, but I'm not sure about how I can study this here, and if I can, I'd still like to spend about half a year in the US. And I was told that it's easier to get a job there as forensics isn't as popular in Germany as it is in the USA. Right now I'm in vocational training as a lab assistant, I'm good at maths and my English is ok I guess...

Btw, to the German people here, if you have any questions about chemistry in general, you can pm me and I'll try to help!

6. ThroughALens

I live in WI, but don't plan on going to college here. Im thinking east coast but not sure what schools are the best choice.

7. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

Alright them Through alens...what states...any idea??

8. CSIAleh

CSIAleh Witness

Dell, I think your nickname is, I do belive you ca study over here. There are colleges who take international students.

9. ThroughALens

New York, North & South Carolina. Its not really a matter of where but what will teach me the most, what will better me. I just kind of wanna stay away from the Mid-West, I need to get out of the Mid-West. :D

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I know of two universities here in West Virginia that offer forensics programs:

West Virginia University, in Morgantown, at the northern part of the state, just south of Pittsburgh, PA.

Marshall University, in Huntington, in the western part of the state, close to the border of WV, KY, and OH.

The links above will take you to their Forensics pages. Hope that helps.

11. ThroughALens

thanks a lot. im keeping my options open and trying to figure out where to go.

12. ThroughALens

Will it hurt my chances if I dont take Physics? The Physics teacher just wouldn't teach me very well so Im not taking it. Will this hurt my chances of getting into a good school with this major (forensic science, chem)? Should I look for other ways to take Physics or should I be fine? HELP!

13. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

For those of you interested in a forensic science career, three suggestions:

1) be aware that most crime labs today hire scientists for specific jobs such as genetics (DNA), toxicology, drug ID, firearms, latent prints, and digital evidence. Each specialty requires a different educational background (ie: emphasis on biochemistry for DNA analysis, on chemistry for drugs and tox, on computer science for digital evidence, etc.). Crime labs will usually allow scientists to transfer to other disciplines/jobs within the lab if they have the necessary educational background. And don't forget that virtually every job in a crime lab involves using a computer and taking digital photographs.

2) don't be surprised or disappointed if crime labs in your area don't offer internships. The issues of evidence security and privacy generally make it difficult to have student interns in a crime lab environment. Some labs (such as the Federal Wildlife Crime Lab I run here in Ashland, OR) have student volunteers who help with research projects a few hours a week, but they're not allowed to have contact with evidence.

3) consider joining one of the national/international forensic science associations, such as the International Association of Forensic Sciences or the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (the AAFS has student memberships) ... or , at the very least, try to attend one of the meetings. This is a great way to meet people in the field and become aware of educational and occupational opportunities.

In general: when we hire scientists for entry-level positions, we do look at transcripts/schools/grades, but we're much more interested in evaluating what the applicant did (visited labs, attended meetings, collected comparison sample for research projects, etc) to prepare themselves for a career in forensic science.

14. ThroughALens

Thanks for the help. Once again, its great to hear about forensic science from people who actually take part in it. I'll look into everything you said and make sure I can make myself prepared.

15. ThroughALens

Thanks for the help. Once again, its great to hear about forensic science from people who actually take part in it. I'll look into everything you said and make sure I can make myself prepared. :)