eReaders-What's your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I thought it might be interesting to talk about eReaders as it seems to be the way of the book market these days.

Do you have one?
    Do you like it?
    Would you recommend it?
    What are the Pros and Cons to owning one.

I've had one for just over a month now and I love it. Yes I would recommend it. So far I haven't found any problems with owning a Kindle. I guess the only real problem is the easy access to books :D No longer do you have to go and find the time to go out and get one. You can have it downloaded in mere seconds. The supply of books that are available for Canada through Amazon is very good and wide ranging. If I have my information correct my understanding is Amazon wants to be able to have all their authors available for their eReader.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while to get and eReader but I wasn't sure about it until Christmas when I saw my brother-in-laws eReader. He explained the difference in the market place between the Kindle and the other readers which is why I selected the Kindle. Our big chain book store has their own eReader but it was recommended to get the Kindle. My b-i-l should know as he's in the book business.

The reason I wanted to get an eReader was because I read far too many books. Books take up a lot of space. We have seven book case in the house and books spilling out of them.

Let's keep the what are you reading to that thread. Lets just discuss eReaders vs Paper Books here.

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

Do you have one?

no, i have two! got the kindle first, and i have an ipad, which i use for kindle too. i spent months trying to convince myself that i didn't need/want an ipad but i gave in and it'll have to be surgically removed! what i love is that if i read a book on my kindle it syncs with ipad so when i pick up my ipad it takes me to the last page i read on my kindle, and vice versa.

kindle has two advantages over ipad: 1 is that you can buy waterproof covers for it so you can read it by pools or in baths without too much worry. 2 is that their eink pages are really nice for long periods of reading. it's just like reading actual paper and ink, whereas the backlit screen of the ipad is a bit more likely to induce a headache if you read for too long. then again you can't read kindle in the dark unless you have a book lamp too, and ipad does pretty much everything else you could ever need too, so i would say it's marginally better (although if you're like me your reading will be slowed down by you stopping every so often to check email, twitter, facebook, baseball scores etc)

Do you like it?

yes, i love it. it's especially good for me when i go abroad as i always read tons of books on holiday and it's much lighter this way. it's so nice to be able to carry loads of books at a time.

it's also really easy to get books - amazon have loads available, and any that aren't on amazon are often on things like project gutenberg/google books (which are often free) and can be added to kindle in that format via your hard drive. it's a bit more lengthy a process but still pretty good.

Would you recommend it?

yes!

What are the Pros and Cons to owning one.

well i'm a bit of a purist in many ways and i love having actual books on actual book shelves, so that's kind of sad. then again, if it's a book i really enjoy i'd almost always buy a "proper" copy too to have on my bookshelf.

i really like mine, i still adore real books and hope they don't go obsolete, but ereaders are extremely handy.

3. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Yes. An Amazon Kindle Latest Generation. I bought it at Best Buy. Sales tax was alot less than shipping and handling

Do I like it? No. Do I love it? Yes.

Abso-freakin'-lutely. But I recommend you buy it at your local Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart (those are the 3 stores around here that sell it). Sales tax is cheaper than shipping and handling.

Con: Just for the NOOKs. I've never had one and never used one so all my pros and cons are based on my experience with my Amazon Kindle.
    Pro: No sales tax. No shipping and handle fee. You just pay the cost of the book. Some books are FREE.
    Con: Wifi only Kindle didn't work for me. Had to take it back and get one with 3G + Wifi. 3G + Wifi Kindle cost a little more but it was worth it, in my opinion.
    Con: Sometimes the book you want may not be available for Kindle. IOW-(In other words) you have to buy the book with front and back covers and pages in between. This mean sales tax if you buy it at a store or shipping and handling if you order it online. Sometimes, depending on where you live, you have to pay shipping and handling plus your local sales tax even though you're ordering it online.
    Pro: This pro is for Amazon Kindles only. You can still order older model Kindles if you'd rather have an older model.
    Pro: Another pro just for Amazon Kindles. You can adjust the size of the text or you can have the Kindle read the book out loud to you. It's called text-to-speech. And now this pro's con...
    Con: Not all Kindle books come with the text-to-speech feature. There aren't many that you have to read yourself but there are a few out there.
    Pro: If you didn't go back to the home page before you turned the Kindle off, when you turn it on again it'll take you to the first unread page if you bookmarked it before you turned the device off or the last page you read if that's what was showing when you turned it off.
    BIGGEST PRO: You can have hundreds of books but only have to find enough space to store the Kindle (or NOOK if you have one of them).
    BIGGEST CON: I haven't owned or used a NOOK so I don't know if Kindle is better or if NOOK is better.

For me, the pros outweigh the cons. I love my Kindle.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

I don't have... but I do definitely want one. Have a few questions for those of you with eReaders though...

1. I know I've heard some mention of a reader working with libraries to loan out books... whether or not I heard that as a "This is something to do eventually" or a "This is something available now", I can't remember... but if there IS one (or others) that do, which would it be?
    2. I love the idea of the ePaper that the Kindle uses, especially the ability to enlarge and even to the text-to-speech functions... but I also am very much a multi-tasker, so having the ability to do web browsing as well would be important. Is there a reader that includes both the ePaper aspect with the web browsing abilities?
    3. Portability... I've seen some readers at stores that barely look bigger than my iPhone... and while I like the idea of having something extremely portable, being big enough to read a regular 'page' of text would be nice (so something the size of a regular paperback as the minimum screen size). In this sense, where abouts does the Kindle sit? I've never actually SEEN one in person.

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I can't help you with the first question. The second question I'm not sure about. But question 3 I can answer with a question. Are you sure you aren't mistaking ipods, iphones and mp3 players for e-readers?
    The Kindle I have from left to right <---> measures about half an inch to one inch wider than Reader's Digest and top to bottom about 1 inch taller than Reader's Digest. Every e-reader I've seen is about that size. On the Kindle, the place where you read is about the same size as a page in Reader's Digest.
    The largest you can make the text on the Kindle is about this tall and wide minus the space between the 2 vertical (|) lines:
    |
    |__

6. Jacquie

In the Toronto Public Library system you can download books BUT only using a Sony eReader. The Sony eReader is part of the epub group of eReaders. You sort of have the Kindle group and the epub group. Chapters Kobo is part of the epub group. I certainly wouldn't rule out the Sony or the Kobo but I went on the advice of someone in the book business. If you use the libraries a lot then I would certainly recommend the Sony. I have no first hand knowledge of it though.
    I'm not sure on this one as my Kindle doesn't have the 3G connection. I know the 3G connection gives you access to the web but as browsing goes I don't know.

as already mention all eReaders seem to be a somewhat standard size. My Kindle is 5x7.5.

7. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I don't have one and, at this time, have no intention of buying one.

Why? Because I just can't give up my books. I love buying them, I love reading them. I love having them around my house.

Hmm, maybe I need help. :shifty: :lol:

However, when e-readers first came out, I totally wanted one and part of me still does. I think they are totally cool, but I'm not ready to give up my books and don't think I ever will be.

Now having said that, I really think the e-readers would be great for textbooks. The textbooks should be available on all formats so people have a choice as to what reader they want and/or can afford. Those textbooks are damn heavy. Then again, we had to carry them so maybe all future children should have too. :lol:

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'm with Speedy on this. Music is one thing (I LOVE having it all on my iPod!), but a book...there's just something about holding the actual book and having it. In fact, sometimes I buy them and don't get around to reading them. :lol:

That said, I do have the Kindle app on my cell phone with some of the free books on it. Can't say as I'd ever commit to reading a novel on my cell phone tho. :)

9. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I used to read books on my PDA (smaller than an eReader). I really liked the portability (hundreds of books in that tiny device, especially great for travelling), but I had to change hand positions much more than a real book (my hand kept cramping up because of the smaller size). I haven't tried an eReader, but I'd be afraid of the same problem.

I agree with Speedy about textbooks. Hauling those things around campus was a pain!

10. Jacquie

I haven't had any problems with hands cramping while holding it. What I do like is that the eReaders are a lot lighter than books. We will buy hard covers and after awhile those suckers get heavy.

I think we're all in the same vote with speedy on the textbooks. I also had to carry my trumpet home with textbooks while in high school. I think every person needs to have the carry textbooks around pleasure :D

11. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Excellent, good to know that I wasn't entirely imagining the library aspect. That would be a rather big pull for me, depending on how the Toronto Public Library's eBook selection is... I'll have to check that out sometime.

I'm *pretty* sure some of the really small ones I've seen were being called "eReaders"... but it could be that Best Buy/Future Shop had added things like PDA's into the locked cabinet for eReaders. I'll have to take another closer look.

The textbook idea is absolutely genius! LOL! I remember having to buy my university texts over multiple trips because those things were HEAVY. I've still got all my texts too... I keep them on the bottom shelves of my bookcases to stabilize the case ::snickers:: Worst textbook ever had to have been my organic chemistry text, I think it weighed close to 15lbs on it's own.

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Here's a pro and a 2 cons I forgot.
    Pro: Kindle comes in 2 sizes. The standard Kindle, which is what I have. It's just slightly (half an inch to an inch) wider and longer than the size of an issue of Reader's Digest. Then there's the Kindle DX, which is about the size of an issue of People Magazine. All the NOOKs I've seen are about the same size as my Kindle. I don't know if you can buy a larger NOOK. This pro has 2 cons.
    Con: The Kindle DXs cost about twice what the standard Kindles cost.
    Con: The Kindle DXs are only available through amazon.com. I haven't seen any in any of the stores around here that sell Kindles.
    ^^Those 2^^ cons are why I don't have a Kindle DX.

UPDATE.
    I was just at amazon.com checking out the e-readers to see if NOOK came in a larger size. It does. I found a wifi only NOOK the size of a Kindle DX.

13. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I am torn...I usually do alot of reading on my phone so I am sure I would love one of these...but I love real books so I am afraid I would wind up buying everything twice. Plus dont you have to pay a monthly internet fee to be able to download things to an ipad or something similar? I am already paying a monthly fee for my mome internet and another for my phone. Dont want to pay a 3rd fee. With that I so badly avoid the apple store because I want an ipad but I am seeing it as an expensive toy and not a necessity....sigh

14. Jacquie

I can't help you on the ipad stuff as I just have a regular cell phone, no added attractions for me. With the Kindle you only pay for the book you're downloading. It's just like going to your local bookstore and paying for the book. With the Kindle you're paying for the e-version of the book instead of the paper version.

Having a Kindle will not stop me from buying books. If there is a purpose to getting a book, like wanting it autographed, then I will still buy books. At this point I have no intentions having both paper form and eReader form.

15. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

but dont you need an internet connection to get the download? thats what I dont understand.