Episode 10x01 - 'Countermeasures' ***CONTAINS SPOIILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 23, 2011.

1. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

The team was acting like Horatio would if it were one of them in his situation: concerned, yet stoic and focused on the job.

2. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

David deserves every piece of praise he gets; last night was his night and he owned it, he brought the house down!

3. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Yea I know. When Ryan said that I was like :eek: whoa. They remembered. And something that happened in season four too!

Anyways I'm glad to see most people liked the episode and I'm happy with all the praise David is getting. He really was awesome in this episode. I really liked it too, I think it's a great start to the season and I hope they just keep improving. I really loved the conversation between Ryan and Natalia (I love their friendship and I hope the writers keep that up) and I looooved how Ryan mentioned the nail gun incident. Calleigh with Austen at the end was really cute too. Oh, and I loooved angry Natalia!

I loved seeing Horatio so out of it the entire episode although I thought it was strange too. I guess it was just weird because Horatio has never been like that before. :lol: I'm glad that he voluntarily went back to the hospital at the end. FINALLY someone AGREES to go to the hospital.

So yea, loved the episode, hope the season stays this way. :D

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

OMG, that was NUTS. OK, the idea that Horatio could get up with a gunshot wound, jump in the ocean and save Natalia--maybe, just maybe I could buy an adrenaline rush. Maybe. But that he somehow managed to walk around for the whole episode, wheezing and sputtering... come on. That's ridiculous. Just ridiculous. He would have never been allowed to leave the hospital. Had the show had an iota of realism, he probably would have been passed out by the time he got to the hospital.

Also, the whole "helpless girl gets kidnapped and the team has to race to save her!" cliche is really, really, really overdone on this show. I felt like I was watching the same episode I've seen a bazillion times: oh no, the guy is a scary psychopath! He's going to kill her in some twisted way! The team saves her just in time! Zzzzzzzzz.

What I actually liked about the episode:

--THe scenes between Horatio and Marisol felt very real and sweet. I always liked the side of him she brought out. It was nice to see her again telling him he had to go back... but again, if he was that close to death, he wouldn't be walking around afterwards.

--Loved the scene between Natalia and Ryan. Nice to see continuity, and the continued connection between these two.

--Calleigh's scene with the kid was really sweet as well. Emily Procter is just awesome.

5. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Wow - can I ever learn to be as concise as you? :lol: That pretty much summed up my "defense" of the team not talking to Horatio that much about his condition. ;) Personally, I just don't get why the writers spoiled such a prime opportunity to have a "team scene".

We could've had one at the end, though, when everyone was all locked up and Horatio was about to keel over! :rolleyes: This episode was kind of disjointed and so was the team, and I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get a team scene like we did in last year's season premier - it seems they really need to rally around Horatio and support him. I'm sad he couldn't confide in his team - a leader has to be strong, but also show his team it's OK to rest and recover, physically and mentally.

Like I said, I think H checked out emotionally on his team after Season 4, and the team has done likewise. They've given up on trying to help him b/c he's too damn stoic and private. He lets no one in - and as a leader I think that's where he falls short. He's a far cry from the leader who consoled his team in "Lost Son". He wasn't afraid to be vulnerable then, but now....I don't know, it was all kinda disappointing in that regard. TPTB had a prime opportunity to bring the team together, especially the veterans who've known H the longest, and have them show their loyalty, love and support for a man who has always had their back, even if he hasn't always been there for all of them w/a shoulder to cry on.

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

I agree with this. Also, someone having as much trouble breathing as he was would not have been able to hold his breath as long as he did, or be able to pull out the backseat, in order to save Natalia. Yes, I know this show is largely fantasy-driven, but it has to be believable. And IMO, this wasn't the least bit believable. It took "Superman" Horatio and turned him into "Superman dosed with Kryptonite" Horatio . . . but it's still Superman, performing superhuman feats. As others have noted, I was shocked that members of his own team weren't the ones to rally around him. I know he's always played the stoic role, but still. Enough is enough.

7. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

Not a bad episode, but not a great episode either. My favorite part was the conversation between Ryan and Natalia in the locker room, that scene was worth the whole episode, at least for me.

8. fanilowchick

I agree. I was surprised that Ryan was being so sweet. I'm glad he talked to Natalia and helped encourage her.:thumbsup: Thumbs up for Ryan. It was a good moment for both their characters.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    Ryan has always had his good points. I wasn't surprised at his conversation with Natalia at all. It's been apparent for a few seasons that they now have a good caring and friendly relationship.

10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Thanks for the clarification!!

11. fanilowchick

At any rate, it's nice to see it reaffirmed.

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Let's not forget the countless number of times Eric was shot in the HEAD and survived. Speedle dies because of a lousy technicality with his gun. Jesse falls and hits his head. :rolleyes: But when Horatio and Eric (even Calleigh and Natalia) get shot, drown, etc. they survive by possessing such magical powers.

This show, man. This. Fucking. Show.

13. srqmiamifan

srqmiamifan Victim

I'd just like to clarify something about the delays.

The reasons that the episodes get delayed is because CBS' NFL football goes past 7. CBS will not preempt any of its shows, including 60 Minutes which is supposed to start at 7. (And frankly, why should they?)

These delays should only happen in two circumstances. The first, is when CBS has the NFL doubleheader or a game at 1 AND 4:15 in all markets. (Except where there are exceptions because of NFL rules.) If the 4:15 game goes long, then 60 Minutes doesn't start at 7. CBS has the double header package basically every other week, which is why the delays are so frequent in the fall. This delay will be nation wide, except on the West Coast.

The other delay will be in individual markets. If CBS has a single header and airs a game at 4:05 in a market and that game goes long, then there will probably be a delay. I don't believe the individual stations are allowed to preempt 60 Minutes either; so if the game goes long, the individual market will be delayed.

This week is a CBS doubleheader. So... Expect a delay.

I hope this helps.

14. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Eric was shot once in the head. And it's a show for a reason, if it was 100% realistic it wouldn't be very entertaining. :rolleyes:

15. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I would find the show more entertaining if there was a little more realism.