CSI: Miami is moving to Sunday at 10PM!

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by srqmiamifan, May 19, 2010.

1. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

I'm not sure how I feel about this move to Sunday nights. I mean yes the ratings slipped last season and it lost to Castle a few times but I don't think that it was time for CBS to panic and move it to Sunday of all days...simply to make room for Hawaii Five O anvetted show. CBS obviously has a lot of faith in a show that has yet to air. Monday nights was never a huge night for TV or CBS until CSI Miami aired. After that Monday at 10 o'clock became a thing. I understand you stick new shows in between successful ones so you can use them as a lead in but Monday is how you start off a week. This is gonna be weird.

Not to mention an October 3rd premiere date WTF is that all about? Why so late? I mean 48 Hours is on the week before...why not just push 48 Hours somewhere and have it premiere when everyone else is? Unless, like someone said, they are saving the best for last but still to me it doesn't make sense.

I personally think CBS is playing with fire with a lot of things not just their shows but their actors as well and are banking on the old addage "change is good." However, too much change is not good and for a network that boasts quite often that it is the "most watched" it may not be good. It is the most watched not just for their shows for but how their lineup was worked. They have broken up one their strongest nights on TV, Monday by moving Miami and Big Bang to later in the week. There was no need to tinker with as much as they did imo. Hopefully it will all work out.

While I don't want another one of Alex O'loughin's shows to fail I kind of hope it does so that Miami can go back to its usual timeslot.

They moved CSI NY to Fridays which imo and no offense is like the kiss of death for some shows.

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

3rd of October?

October is really far away.Why not September like all the previous years?

3. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Well, a positive aspect of this late start is that there won't be as many breaks in between. Although CBS won't commit to a full season order until around December, and if it doesn't do well in this time slot, we could end up with only 20-22 episodes.

4. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

I am pretty sure that shows like the CSI's when renewed are already renwed at a certain amount of episodes for the next season. The exact number may vary but I think when the season starts the number of eps there are going to be is already set is stone so to speak.

The only shows that CBS doesn't a commit a full season to until maybe December are new shows that premiere (ie Criminal Minds Spin Off, Hawaii Five-O) for the first time on the network. Those shows typically get 10-13 episodes to start and if they do well then CBS decides in December if they want to a) renew it (the CM spin off is starting mid season so it will probably run til the end of the 10-11 tv season) and b) order more eps.

I think CSI Miami already knows how many eps they will be getting this season. More than likely it will be between 21-23 eps. If CBS wants to cancel it they will wait til the end of the season to smply non-renew it. They wouldn't cancel a long standing show like Miami in the middle of the season. There is a possibility though if Hawaii Five-O tanks that at some point Miami could end up back in its old slot....NBC did this with L&O SVU when Jay Leno's show crapped out. SVU was airing at 9pm (which is where it will air this season) until Jay's show tanked mid season and NBC moved SVU back to its usual time slot.

5. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Delkolover, you really think they will reduce the number of episodes that much? Wikipedia is saying there will only be 22 episodes, but they don't give a source so I am inclined not to believe it. Reducing the number of episodes and moving it to Sunday doesn't bode well for CBS's confidence in the show. This is shaping up to be a "make or break" season and will be a good test to see how much the cast and crew really want to make a show the fans want.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. yen35

yen35 Witness

I agree with everything you have said above. I understand the move in a way because CSIM lost to Castle a few times but it wasn't by a wide margin. Its odd to change a well established show and to sunday nights! People might forget to tune in to watch it!

I can't understand why the new season is premiering so late either. What a long time to wait!

Even though I don't live in the States, I hope they move CSIM back to where it was because even though it wasn't doing as well as it used to after Castle aired, it wasn't doing badly enough to get cancelled. These remakes are not that successful so they may move it back if the remake doesn't do well.

Finally and this is completely unrelated but, I think your avatar is totally awesome. Specially the one at the bottom of the text which keeps changing! I've never seen anything like that.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It isn't always down to the fact that 'Miami' lost out to 'Castle' only a few times. Both shows' future is a consideration -- according to many of the sites regarding ratings, Castle continued to gain viewers - they were up from the year before and from the beginning of the season; CSI: Miami was no longer even steady, they were losing viewers (especially in the second half of the season where they began to go up & down between 9 and 12 million; earlier in the season they were up and down anywhere between 11 to 13+ million).

And for the record, no, I don't watch 'Castle' so I'm not at all trying to "stick up" for them -- I'm just looking at the numbers, which are sadly quite telling.

At thier "age", I honestly don't think we'll see the show bouncing back ratings-wise. I have to imagine that was one of the reasons for the move (though I do find it very risky to bring a brand new show in in that timeslot).
    As for it being on Sundays or Mondays -- I don't care which night, as long as they show my favorites & have decent episodes/storylines then I'll continue to follow (kicking & screaming perhaps, but I'll follow :p).

8. yen35

yen35 Witness

Just wondering -> your last sentence implies that you'll watch season 9 with some reluctance! Why, did you not like season 8? I know Wikipedia shows the lowest ratings for season 8 and thats the reason for this move to sundays but season 8 was my favourite season episode wise. My favorite episode was 'dishonor' and also liked 'hostile takeover, in the wind and the ones about the pop star and the Japanese swords. I liked the plots of these much better than in the other seasons so I was puzzled about the low ratings (but thats just me).

Sorry if you've already said somewhere else why you didn't like season 8. I didn't read all the pages. Only the last 2. I was scrolling down random threads looking for some info about a twitter campaign someone had mentioned. I did ask them but they didn't reply. Presumbly it was something on the website twitter but I wanted to know how it was relevant to CSI. Anyway, thats how I came across this post. I like Castle alot and have watched both seasons but if they clash, I would have watched CSIM in a heartbeat!

9. lovehiphugger

lovehiphugger Victim

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OCTOBER I WAS SO HAAPY ABOUT SEPT BUT I GUESS I CAN WAIT :(

10. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

The transition to Sunday nights begins next week. There is apparently going to be double features through August on Sundays and Mondays starting next week.

11. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I hope viewers don't leave the show when it premieres on Sundays because the ratings have already slipped a lot.

12. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Well isn't it more likely that people will watch it, since it's weekend and not the 1st working day of the week?

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    Some people have more plans on the weekend,or different plans.There are also people that watch less TV on Sunday.And don't forget there are going to be times when the show starts late because of games going overtime.Some people are not going to stay up late on Sunday if they need to get up early on Monday morning.

14. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Oye, you just made me suddenly HATE CBS. At least I'll have itunes as a friend.:rolleyes:

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're right, greatfan. While I'm generally home on Sunday night, that is the one night I'm less likely to watch TV. I'm too busy getting ready for the work week coming up (doing washing, cleaning, making meals ahead of time).

And there is no way I can stay up late on a Sunday night. I usually have my granddaughter on the weekends and at 2 1/2 she is the little energizer bunny! I'm dead tired by the time Sunday evening rolls around.

I could set the DVR, but who knows with how fluid the schedule is with CBS on Sunday nights, how often I'm actually going to get the episode recorded.

I guess we'll see, but I'm not looking to see the ratings go up in this time slot. :(