CSI Jumping the Shark?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Raw_Alex, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

Re: GSR, Miniature Killer, Sara in Peril: Jumping the Shark

i dont think CSI will jump the shark...at least i hope it wont. The show has had better seasons than the last 2 but i am not ready to give up on it.

2. Raw_Alex

Raw_Alex Witness

Well, here I sit after episode one, looking at the spoilers up so far for episodes 2 and 3, and I have to say that I smell shark in the air. Apparently Sara is right back to work in episode two, with an arm in a sling and a couple of "cuts" but right back to it.

I can smell the sharks!

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Considering that you wrote this:

How can you now declare that the show is on shark warning? What you wanted has come true.

Also, Sara is on swing shift, which means that major changes have happened within her career, and we already know she will likely be gone by episode 7. Clearly she *is* seeing reprocussions.

Sara is not back to work in episode 2, but she is in episode 3. She is simply speaking to Ecklie in episode 2, and evidently hanging out with Grissom and the team after shift.

4. Grizzom

Grizzom Witness

I think we need a new term for what is happening to CSI other than shark jumping, which in itself sounds rather jolly.

The writers and producers have ripped their audience in half like the Civil War. So many people are going to be miserable no matter which way it goes. A lot of people are going to be heart-sore if anything happens to Sara. A lot of people are going to be deeply repulsed if the GSR continues on its merry course. Now people are starting to get nauseated, because of what may happen with Warrick.

How did they get themselves in this predicament? I have read that the writers changed a few seasons back. I suppose it's possible that they just couldn't handle their legacy, so they're rewriting it, ignoring continuity and character development.

Or are they deliberately jerking the audience around in some psychological experiment to see how high your ratings can go with a disgruntled viewership in your last year or two?

Has there ever been an unhappier fandom than CSI:LV?

5. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

''es, after appr. 144 weeks we are supposed to believe she is still in a cast? And still has injuries on her face? 14 weeks after? Or did she cut herself shaving?

The fact that Sara has to be in this ep - with sling and cuts just proves that TPTB have left reality alltogether.

Do they think we are idiots? Or is this a desperate cry for sympathy for the character?

Real is it not - not by a long shot and it nauseates me that CSI is taking this, cheap emotionally manipulating route.

But S7 picked up in the second half - gone was GSR for at least a couple of eps. I can only hope this happens this year too because I simply can't watch this anymore if it keeps this up.

This show used to based on cases and the CSIs reaction to them. If you change the basic concept of a tv-show, of course people are going to get mad and leave it.

Apparently CSI has now forgotten about real-time too. All in the name of explaining a relationship; that is jumping the shark big time.

I'm just wondering how many jumps we'll get this season? It's fast becoming a parody on itself.

6. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I think you'll find that it's only this forum that's unhappy. lol
    Do we actually know a timeline yet?

*edited to reflect thread title change. Thank you*

7. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

If people were so unhappy, they wouldn't still be watching.

9. eggbe4thechicken

^there was a flashback to Gum drops as well and that certainly wasn't 'romance'. They've been using flashbacks in CSI for a very long time, it's nothing new. If you don't like it, don't watch.

10. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

What is this all about? This is a thread for jumping the shark and when I point out the jumps I get the replies like:"Don't watch?"

I can't recall any flashbacks prior to DD at all. I recall suggested and hypotetizes scenarios, but not flashbacks to earlier episodes.

11. eggbe4thechicken

Yes and I'm saying that it isn't jumping the shark... defending the show, which is odd considering this is a CSI forum, you'd think that people posting in here would actually like the show. Instead everywhere you post you start arguments? We can all pick out faults in the show, the major fault is the science and the protocol the CSIs follow. It isn't real life, everyone knows that, we watch for the excitement, the interest, etc. Which is what all the little bits they make up and change is for, to keep you interested. Personally I find the romance interesting, honestly I don't know if I would be that interested in the show without the romance. *awaits bashing*
    A lot of shows use flashbacks, TPTB are just keeping up with the times, how boring would it be if they used the same technology and techniques as they did in the pilot still today?
    As sarahvma pointed out, if people were so unhappy, CSI wouldn't have 25 million viewers.

12. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

Start fights? I haven't told anybody what to think or do. I merely point out why I think the CSI I love is gone - in the shark jump thread. Is that wrong according to you? Speaking my mind?

A lot of shows use it yeas, but CSI used to be unique - not follwing deserately what other shows do. And herein lies another big problem.

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i seriously doubt that the ratings for the premier reflect how happy people are with the show. I have been reading comments from other places, and i have seen 'i only watched it because i wanted sara to die' (not my opinion, i have actually seen this) or 'i only watched it to see what happens to sara' many times...the ratings reflect more about curiousity and how people fall for that same are they going to kill off a character trap over and over again.

And i keep seeing GSR fans trying to chase off people who don't like the storyline...i am sure CBS are really happy about seeing that!

But to tell people they can't criticize a tv show...pretty silly to have a discussion with one side. Why is it pointless to point out major flaws that we see?? And not be upset by them changing what type of show it is?? CSI didn't start out with all this cliche romantic stuff....just because one fanbase likes all that, doesn't mean overall the show is going great.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

We're allowed to have an opinion as well. ;)

15. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Yeah, and i never said GSR fans were not allowed to say they like it either...anytime i try to criticize GSR, I ALWAYS get a fan jumping on me, telling me that i am somehow saying they are not allowed to share their opinion either! This is wrong, ALL i am trying to say is STOP telling others to NOT criticize storylines just because you like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.