What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Maple, I was forced to read Brave New World in college. I love science fiction so I kinda liked it. The teacher got a little upset because I was reading it faster than she wanted us to, but once she realized I pretty much remembered what I was reading she let me read at my pace.

Right now I'm reading Madusa's Child by John J. Nance. This guy's an ex-pilot and a consultant for ABC so his books take place in planes and around the airline industry.
    In this one we've got a thermonuclear device flying around Washington DC. The bomb maker is dead (cancer) and his ex-wife can't get farther than 15 feet from it and the military are lying to both those on the civilian cargo plane and the President of the US. The one time they got the plane on the ground with a chance of disarming the bomb the pilot took off again. They're trying to fly out to sea and dump it while an active hurricane bears down on DC. Right now I've reached a part where they say the number 1 might de-activate it, but I can't believe it'd be that simple.

If you like things with a lot of twists and turns Nance does good.

Susan

Forgot to mention that if the bomb goes off it will set off what they call a medusa wave, which will fry all our computer chips and make all that this society runs on useless. (no planes, subways, cars, stock market, pc's)

2. ineverysunflower

ineverysunflower Coroner

Im in the middle of Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. Its an analysis of Pop culture and reality and its really funny! i highly recommend it

3. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I'm reading Only Love by Erich Segal.
    it's really good, i have to read it for reading.

4. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Finished Madusa's Child last night. They dumped the bomb over the ocean. It went off around 2,000 feet below the surface. It affected a lot of electronics but nowhere near as bad as it could have been. Then they sorta crash landed on and aircraft carrier (they almost missed). Then is ended with the predictable thank you from the president and all that stuff.

Now I'm reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Been trying to get this one out at the library for months. I want to see the movie, but I always like to read the book first. I'm also interested in comparing it to Anne McCaffrey and her Dragon Rider series.

If you can't guess I'm constantly reading. I just go from one into another. :lol:

Susan

5. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I'm on the chapter on DNA in Saferstein's book.

6. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

Last night I finished "Sunstroke" by Marc Blake, but I didn't find it that hilarious actually. It was funny, but not hilarious, as the critics said.

Going to start on "7 ages of Britain" this afternoon.. or at least I think it's called that way. It's about Britain's history.

7. liz19

liz19 Dead on Arrival

I like biographies and crazy books. I have read
    Lewis Carroll by Alison Wonderland
    now I'm starting
    Leo Tolstoy by Warren Peace
    I might be a while with that one

8. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Im now re-reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King, cos...I can. :p

9. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

OK, so started on that in the car.. but I left it in my dad's car.. so uhm.. yeah, now I'm reading some poems by Mark Haddon The talking horse and the sad girl and the village under the sea.

10. Yurek

Yurek Pathologist

The three investigators - Secret of Phantom Lake

I so love that trio!! :D

But the orignal names are so wierd in contrast to the german ones. :lol:

11. Pixu

Pixu Witness

I've just finished reading 'A streetcar called desire'. Yes, it was really sad and Kowalski doing what he did to his wife's sister was sick, but it is an excellant play. I'm becoming obsessed with reading literature again...my entire weekend was spent reading and doing research for biology. I'm currently reading some of Sylvia Plath's and W.H Auden's poetry and re-reading Cold Mountain and Comedians for my mock exams.

12. Lvodkadiet

Lvodkadiet Rookie

I went up into my attic recently and brought down a whole load of books to re-read, just finished The Magician by Raymond Feist which I loved.

I have now started "IT" by Stephen King, and hoping that the clown doesnt scare me as much as it did 15 odd years ago. :eek:

13. Lizzy_004

Lizzy_004 Pathologist

Yesterday, I started in Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. It seems a little difficult though, I hope I'll make it to the end.. and I hope it's a nice story.

14. Fingerprints

Fingerprints Police Officer

Pride and Prejudice is a GREAT story, its so rare these days to find a book with a happy ending. Once you get into the language you'll be fine Lizzy . Hope you enjoy it! :D

15. Queeny1969

Queeny1969 Civilian

I'm reading the Books by Anne Rice
    "The Chronik of the Vampire"
    I love the Story of Lestat de Lioncourt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.