The photos of the day!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Dec 23, 2007.

1. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

What's the meaning?
    If you have made a beautifull looking photo today (or very recent) or just a photo where you're proud of you can show it in this thread. The thing is that you can only show 1 photo each post and ofcourse make one photo post a day.

--> Then remember and read the next thing very well <--
    Do not post a photo without naming one positive thing and one negative thing about the last posted photo.
    Of course you can always make comments about posted photos without posting one of your own.

Why? So you can show off your photo :) Ask for advise and photography help and you learn to look at other photos and see the good and the bad aspect in another photo and learn from it.

We also have a photo competition but that has themes. Here you are free to post whatever photo you have made within the board's rules ofcourse... Since I'm currently doing to photo competitions I notice that there are members among us that do know all about photography and some don't. This is a thread to help each other out without voting each other off.. And without having to wait for a theme. You can ask for advise and so on.

Post a link or small thumb since this will be a photo thread!

NO BASHING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it yesterday on a brief walk
    [​IMG]

[example for a negative and positive]
    + The line of the path takes the eye into it's depth
    - The trees on the left aren't that image filling as on the right side which makes the photo out of balance
    [/example]

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Amazing idea, Bluecurl! :D Totally all for this.

Starting with your photo:

+ Love how this looks like it could be in a movie or right out of a book.

- Not sure if my eye should go to th trees or down the path first. Gettng drawn two places at once.

Here's mine from a few days ago.

[​IMG]

3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

^ - Positive: I love how symmetrical everything is. The coloring, the sky. It's beautiful.

- Negative: It looks somewhat blurry.

Here is my photo from a camping trip this year. I was able to take several photos of these little ducklings. :D (note: I love photographing. lol)

[​IMG]

4. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

@wolfesgamergirl
    + You really get drawn to the center of the photo
    - It is wrongfull centered. See how the horizon isn't straight... and if you take both sides the points where the things on the water hit your outlines... Those aren't at the same height. Which makes the image look even more oblique

@vegaslights
    + Those little ducks just make me smile and say ahw! It is not a easy lined photo. It has several lines within and it makes everything fit well. So it's not a "standard" photo!
    - It has a lot of colours but they seem a bit vague... It would do great to have more of the colours more present! The balance is a bit off..

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

*wonders why people don't want to share their pics. :p *

BlueCurl, thanks for your advise. Maybe If I zoomed back a little I could have gotten some more color into the image. :)

Here is my image for the day. Back in August, we went camping in Oceanside, California with about 12 other families that we're friends with. One of the days, all of the guys went fishing on a boat in Mexico. (I didn't fish, I was the photographer as I HATE fishing). My Dad and brother caught the biggest fish, though this one isn't it. LOL. So this photo is of my brother, Spencer, who is 16 months younger than me. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I don't know why they aren't sharing either, perhaps scared to take a risk?

Thanks for the comments, Bluecurl. But I'm confused at to which points you are refering to. If it's the corner of the jetty then that's the way it was made.

+ I like the angles that the fish and the fishing rod make, they keep the eye moving around the frame.

- The people in the back are a bit distracting, I wa wondering what they were up to. Perhaps zooming in a bit moe on your brother and the fish might help.

Here's mine for today, sticking with vegaslights' "theme" of people. :p

This is my friend Heidi in her Marzipan tutu after her dance school's preformance of The Nutcracker.

[​IMG]

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I hadn't posted because it took me forever to find a good picture. :lol:

BlueCurl
    + It has a very 'fantasy' type of look and the wintery colours are vibrant and crisp.
    - Like others, I wasn't quite sure where too look. I was drawn in by both the trees and the path--they're both very beautiful and capture attention but I wasn't as much looking at the whole picture but parts of the picture.

wolfesgamergirl

Picture1:
    + Looks just like a postcard. :D I wouldn't mind sending that to a few of my friends. ;)
    -Since the plank is a bit off-set (due to its construction), it might have been good to move the camera over to the right a few inches just to give it a bit more symetry.

Picture2:
    + The girl fills the picture really well and my focus is directly on her. It's also focused very well.
    - There's red-eye but you can't really fix that unless you have an expensive program. :lol: It's the only thing I could think of, heh.

vegaslights

Picture1:
    + Duckies! I have to say, this is the cutest picture I've seen in a long while. The detail on the ducklings is very clear and it makes me feel like I'm kneeling there with them.
    - Like what was said, the balance is teeny bit off but a great picture nontheless.

Picture2:
    + It's clear, in excellent focus and the fish is at a great angle. It really 'pops'. :eek:
    - The people distract me too. :lol: But it's not like you can ask them to take a hike because you need to make the picture artistically perfect. :p

I took this one two summers ago at Patricia Lake in The Rockies.

[​IMG]

8. WolfeWhistle

WolfeWhistle Rookie

wolfesgamergirl

+ Personally, I simply like the subject of the picture (I'm a dancer myself, so I have an instant connection to it). The tutu catches the eye, and overall it's a very nice picture!
    - The only thing that I think takes away from the picture is the fact that it doesn't show the entire subject's body. Ballerinas always look really pretty, and I think that showing her from head to toe would add to it and give you the full effect.

speed cochrane
    + This picture is beautiful! The clouds, the water, and the reflection of the mountain in the distance all complement eachother. Very eye-catching!
    - The rocky bank takes away from the beauty of the water a bit. I don't think it should be gone completely, but maybe it you hadn't shown quite as much of it, it would complement the water a little better.

Here's mine. It's from one of tonight's Christmas Eve services at my church. I play in the orchestra and sit on stage, so I got a full view of the congregation when we all lit candles at the end.

[​IMG]

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

WolfWhistle
    + - I love candles, so it's lovely to see the candles, and a nice background behind it.
    - The photo is quite blurry, so it's hard to decipher the image. It's also quite orange.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

WolfeWhistle

+ The candle lit ceremoney was an amazing idea. I get the feelings of really being there.
    - The bluriness detracts a lot from the lights, as well as the orange coloring.

The pic wasn't full length because during the show Heidi's pointe shoes decided it was time to die. Thusly she wasn't wearing them and bloody feet don't make a very good picture. :)

Took this over the summer. It was going to be my photo for the water competition but I found a different one to submit.

[​IMG]

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

First of all, I have to say I just love this thread!

Wolfesgamegirl
    + The colours in this picture are great! The tomatoes are such a nice bright red :)
    - Right in the center, the photo gets blurry. There's also a bit of a glare there, so it makes the center of the photo a bit difficult to look at.

This is actually from last year. I'm too lazy to upload any new photos at the moment, so this'll do for now.

[​IMG]

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

DragonflyDreamer

+ Very georgous picture, reminds me of a post card.
    - The person in the distance caught my attention first, since they are in the exact center of the photo. The space between where the two trees are and where you are is blank and doesn't catch attention well.

13. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Just taking out some random photos... Merry Chistmas and all! I should seek a photo os my own :p I am to lazy for that... I just keep on commenting and try to help and explain some thing about it all :) If anyine of you has any question about photography just ask. I don;t know everything either but I might be able to be of some help and such!

@wolfesgamergirl
    With the lines and the points where they hit the border I meant the following:
    Original with lines | Altered with lines
    Maybe this helps a bit. They human brain usually likes lines in a way they make sense... This means in a photo like this that thay want it to be the same to get the great effect of depth and you want everything to be equal symmetrical. The line you want to follow until you see the lighthouse.

About the photo of your friend in her tutu. (I am a nitpicker don't take it all bad just as something you can learn from ;) A thing to learn from flashes. They make everything flath. Because everything gets so bright you can;t see they difference in what's at fron and what not. Ofcourse you know what's up front... The hard shadows, the bright flash on her skin. It makes it a bit unnattural. I don't know what kind of camera you use and what you can adjust manually. But try not to flash. Flashing is bad! And also see ow the flash in the glass is distracting. Especially when it is so close to her head? Other then that... Your friends. I always like to put people on a spot to make a photograph... So you have a calm background. It usually looks nice then.
    The positive then: I really like the positioning of of here... Her head is 1/3 from the top. Te tutu rounds up perfectly on the bottom. That's really done well!

The photo initially for the water comp:
    - the flash! and the blurry leave in the middle!
    + nice close up!

@vegaslight
    More colour has to with the white & colour balance on your photocamera, shutterspeed as well... Not with zooming! I also must add that you really have an eye for it!

@WolfeWhistle
    - If you take a photo in the dark... Never take it with your camera in your hand. Instead have your camera stand on something and use the delay funtction before it shoots a photo. This way you don;t have a blurry photo but a wonderfull night shot! If it is dark the shutter stays open longer to obtain more light on its sensor. That is way you get movements because just with clicking the button the camera gets slighty moved.
    + The candle as the mean light sourse gets all the attention and then with all the small lights... that makes it great. Not just a plain candle that burns. The background with the lights make it a whole lot better!

@DragonflyDreamer
    + creates the feeling of how that day must have been. Cold wet and snowy :p
    - See how one of the sides with the trees that are really green take over of the photo instead of the sidewalk your standing on and is in the line of sight?

14. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

I am not very good at this, I have been interested in photography since I was little but only took a class when I was in high school. I am a little intimidated in showing my pictures to other people, that is whey I started in the LPS. I want to get better, I show my pictures to my family (being my family) all they say is how good they are, I know they are not as good as they say but I want constructive criticism. BlueCurl would you be willing to say more than just one thing good and one thing bad? I want to get better. I am glad I found this thread, I have been looking for something like this for some time now.

OK here is my attempt,
    WolfsGamerGirl
    + I love snow, I can see myself hunched down into my coat against the wind, I like that it transports me back.
    - I think it would be better if the there was just a little bit less tree on the left side. It kind of detracts from the sidewalk.

Here is my picture, when I go out to take pictures for myself I usually take pictures of flowers. I took this one last spring.

Tulip

15. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Actually the picture isn't mine, it's DragonflyDreamer's.

Amy777

+ The colors are amazing and pop very well in the sunlight.
    - The fence is a bit distracting to the background. Perhaps zooming in or moving closer to the flower, then the eye won't travel back to the part that's not the subject.

Here's mine for today.

[​IMG]