The cancer thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

Cancer. The word strikes fear into anyone who hears the word. There's cancer on both sides of my family. My Nana, from my dad's side, who's 90 and still very much alive :) survived breast cancer. She's a wonderful lady.

My grandfather, from my mother's side, isn't doing so great. For the third time in 11 years, he's been diagnosed with cancer. In 1995, it was lung cancer. In 2005, they only discovered he had prostate cancer when he fell off his bike and went for a chest scan, and he was given the all-clear in 2006. This year, about two months ago, he went in for emergency surgery on a carcinoid tumor near his lung, and he has a couple of years left. So my mother's gone over to Canada to see him, and I hope to see him too. I haven't seen him since July 2001, when he came over to see us. I'd like to pay the same courtesy to him. When I go over next summer, the whole family will be together for the first time in literally decades, and I know how much he'll love that :)

2. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

It is very great to hear that there are quite some people out there that did survive cancer! Hopefully the ones that are still battling this decease will win that battle!

3. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

With all the new treatments and early detectment, the chance of surviving caner is huge. Thanks to all the reaserchers more peple than ever are surviving and living long, happy lives.

Let the battle continue; we'll win if we believe we will.

4. LeanneUK

LeanneUK Dead on Arrival

My dad had throat cancer in 2000 I was only nine at the time so they didn't tell me , I knew something was wrong I always remember my mum just sitting there one night crying and I just started to cry I think it was seeing her upset that made me upset , my brother and sister knew because they were 19 and 24 at the time and they must of found it hard aswell , I also remember really clearly going to see him at the hospital just after his operation.

He went into remission October 10th last year and just two weeks ago he went to the doctors and the doctor found another lump on his neck , he has got to have a CT Scan on wednesday so we are all crossing our fingers it's not cancer , obviously I know this time around they can't really hide something like this from a 16 year old , my mum said to me last week she doesn't think she could cope going through it all again which really broke my heart because my mum is the strongest person I know.

Hopefully though it won't be cancer and everything will be fine. It's scary reading peoples stories on here about relatives who have died and it truely makes you realise how lucky you are.

5. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

My dad's younger sister had cancer when they were kids, she died before I even had a chance to meet her. She had lukemia. She lived longer than the doctor's said she would. I have seen sad movies where someone gets cancer and it is very sad when they die.

6. CSISidle

CSISidle Rookie

I did this camp a few summers back with this girl and I got to know her really well. A year later she was diagnosed with cancer. She was in the hospital for several months then she was cancer free. A few months after that she was diagnosed with the first ever documented case of a child with adnoid cancer. She went paralysed and then died in August. I went to her memorial. It wass sooo sad!

7. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

One way or another, cancer has touched most people's lives. My sister and her gang of friends all had a parent who has/had cancer. I'm just glad that with advances in cancer research and study, many lives have been prolonged or even saved. The thing is, my Mom having had breast cancer, made my family more conscious about the products we consume. We try to avoid products with parabens. We try to go all organic and natural.

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Just wondering: Since my best friend has died on age 18 and I was 18 as well I changed my goals in what I want to do with life. Before I just wanted to be an ass kicking programmer and make a lot of money and now I just to continue my study and go in the direction of Bio-Informatica a world were I can give a helping hand to research for a variety of DNA deceases and cancer and such.

Does anyone made that change too?

9. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Yepio. I wanted to be a writer so much. Now I am a medical student. Just wanna help peole the way the doctors did my mom. Granted, I now want to go into the forensic side of it bt still, I want to help people more than anything.

10. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I could never be a doctor, I wouldn't even survive the first week of studying. I'm not into science at all and I couldn't work in a lab. I highly respect people who can and who do so much to fight not only cancer but so many other deseases. I never had the desire to do it though, and first hand experience with a cancer patient has not changed it, in fact it showed me that I am not the kind of person who could do a job like that.

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Even 3/4 of my grandparents families and relatives have been really healthy - My both granddads have died because of cancer. First [age of 78] on had tumor in throat/stomach and the other one [age of 81] in stomach first and then next to liver, where he died (the first one they got away)

Dad was operated 2 yrs ago because of prostate cancer, which is after all very common and all diffrent kind and he is ok now (even he is such a drama queen and finds all kinds of symptoms that would prove that he is dying soon :rolleyes: )

I don't have much to say about it - I've see people dying slowly (my grandpas) and dying all sudden and fast (my other grandma) and I don't know - Both the same. With cancer it's just hard to see when other just... withers away.

12. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

That is the other side yes. Because I had to deal with it at age 14 and realize that even kids can die a slow and painfull death I tend to be someone that others will lean on. I can;t care for death just that it is coming and that you should live your life to the max. and when your old it sucks when someone passes away but I am glad that they had such long lives.

I kinda know that I can handle it well and that is why I want to help in my own way. Being a nerd and all!

13. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

It's not possible to handle death, in any way. There are coping mechanisms then one must use in order to protect ones self, but they are often forms of repression.

Placing a little box around your emotions in order to focus on helping the person. It's a natural instinct but you can really damage yourself by not acknowledging the feelings. Dealing with a relative or friend with cancer causes you to push those feelings away, you want to help more then anything but you have to remember to talk to someone about it too. Repression is not healthy and, although it is there to protect out minds form psychological damage, if manifests itself in a variety of ways in everyday life.

See now, If I go back and review my posts with my psychologist hat on, I'll notice the use of second person, a distancing voice. :lol: I really need to stop doing that, hat off Jodie!

14. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

[offtopic]Hehe tnx for writing in my guestbook![/offtopic]

I don't put a box on my emotions. I cry when I have to. But it does make me look different at life.

How do docters deal with death in a crowded ER? People die there. Sometimes see awfull things.

Death is a part of life I am not afraid of it. I die when I die. simple as that. Same with others. I do miss the people I loose around me but deat is a part of life! You can;t change it. It sucks... You miss people that die but that's all! Be gratefull for the things that you did do.. or don;t in some cases :lol:

15. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

When I was younger I wanted to be a doctor but I had a hard time switching majors in college, I wanted to finish my degree in fours years and besides I realized that I couldn't stomach the sight of blood and people sick or dying. I ended up going to law school instead.

I am in awe of those people who work in an ER, doctors, nurses and those who care for the sick and the dying. Seeing death and illness every day. I have been in an ER more times than I can count and they were all traumatic experiences. I saw my Dad die in the ER. Imagine what they go through there every day.

I agree that repressing one's emotion can be psychologically damaging enough to affect one's health. It's just not healthy. I am usually stoic but I know when to let out my emotion. Keeping it all in is never good.