HP And The Deathly Hallows ~ * BEWARE MAJOR SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Jul 23, 2007.

1. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

Re: HP *MAJOR SPOILERS*

I finally read it! The ending took me for a major twist. About the deal between Snape and Dumbledore.

I liked how 19 years later was included. I would have been made if it wasn't!

I cried a lot. I thought it was really sad.

2. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Ok i bought the book when it came out- and i finished it the early hours of Monday.. This week lol.. The final chapter was I'm sorry to say rushed and rather rubbish. I understand that it was to show life after Harry won and all.... However I think that the 19 years later was a foolish attempt at pathing the way for J K Rowling to do a seperate story centers around Harry's children....

Fred dying- what was that about???? I personally got upset when the owl died.... Then i knew it wasn't going to end well.....

No i knew that Ron and Hermione- would end up together thats clear really from day one but more so in the ball when She dances with Viktor...

I dont know.... Considering that this book is the last- it fills me with sadness and someone lonliness....

Snape!- Oh my..... The poor man really should've been Harry's father and not James... So we learnt from all the books(in my case the films) how wonderful James is... But in the final story we find out that he really wasn't that nice... Well not to Snape.

So Snape loved Harry's mother..So why did she choose James... To be honest with you- if J.k. Rowling was to do another story like this-- I'd like to see how she ends up with James.... That's not really dealt with....

So poor old Snape... Tourmented by Harry's mothers death..... He turns out a good guy... Looks after Potter.. Kills Professor because he was dying anyway... Made to look like a snake.... All to die- die a good man....

Poor Snape. Snape grew to love Harry- but at the same time hated him because he looks like James... How sad is that??

But over all it is a good book.

3. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i think the last chapter was rushed because J.K. rowling just didn't want to deal with Harry Potter anymore. but thats ok because other authors can use the characters and create another Harry Potter series. it happens all the time, i hope they do that soon.

4. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I think Harry Potter is a great series. Always will be. But I don't think that anyone should create another series. Harry Potter is J.K. Rowling's and I don't think anyone can compare to that.

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Jk Rowling has said on many occasions that she is not going to to prequals or allow anyone else to do so. She's moving on to new characters and a completely different series, to which I am excited to read.

6. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Yeah, I can't wait to read them. It'll be really strange to read one of her books without wands and magical creatures. :p

7. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Let's stay on topic ;)

8. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

I actually cryed pathetically har at least once every chapter. I though that the 7th book was absolutly amazing, in my opinion it was the best by far.

I thought that the 19 years later part was really awesome, but i wih it had of been longer.

Im excited because i read in a magazine that JK Rowling might right and 8th book about Harry Potter, but it would just be all of the stuff that she didnt use, like an encyclopedia kind of. either way, i think it would be great!

9. csimiamiadict

csimiamiadict Hit and Run

I had just come back from summer camp and was REALY,REALY tired and I got so grumpy,my parents took it away! Every.Stinking.Time.I.Got.It.Back.

But I still enjoyed it.Did Snape ask Harry to look into his eyes before he died so that his last memories would be of Lilly's eyes? If so that's realy deep, you know, kinda sad but...you know...sad

10. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I personally never considrered Harry Potters books to be for children - maybe for teenagers but IMHO they are simply regular books that at the begining are about "children"

and now to the book - I took it with me to my vacation and read it in 1 day and I LOVE IT and re-raed it few days later

it was funny - I liked it about all the books - especially with the twins, and Im glad she kept to it. e.g. Nevilles granny was hilarious or Luna - I love her, and Snapes line after Dumbledore told him to kill him Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph? - I love sarcasm

it was sad - I mean Dobby and Fred? for me it was pretty unexpected. just like Lupin and Tonks - but at least they married and had a son - so sweet. at the end the Marodeurs didnt live long lifes but full lifes at least. and Moody shocked me the most. it was so soon. I liked the grave-digging for Dobby part and his epitaf was just beautiful

it was so action packed and it always happened when I least expected it - like the wedding or at Godrics Hollow. but the final battle was amazing - both parts. I enjoyed McGonnagall and Molly Weasley the most, they were both great. and Neville was simply briliant just like Kreacher - his change of heart was both amusing and touching

the "quest" was nicely written though I didnt really believed they would manage in 1 year. I had to re-read it to understand some parts but I think she completed the puzzle perfectly. the going-to-the-woods was amazing but Im still glad Harry survived

I really liked the taking-the-sword-out-of-the-lake scene. it said so much with so little words. just like Neville taking the sword out of the hat and killing Nagini

ship-wise I was completly satisfied. I loved Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione ever since the first book and Im glad she did too. and we got the kiss finally - I love the scene, what is said, what is done, how it ends. and Ginnys b-day gift for Harry - I had a feeling it was going to be important later on, I just still dont know how or if really

as for the 19 years later - I liked it but it left a lot of question unanswered. so I really hope the encyclopedia-talk is true - thanks for the bids from the net, BTW.

about the kids names - I like Hugo but Rose just felt really really right for the daughter of Ron & Hermione for some reason. as for Harrys kids I like they chose the names of his parents, I wonder what their second names are. Albus Severus sounds like an old profesor name but I liked how they called him Al. I think Harry wanted to commemorate (how does it spell anyway) Snape and I dont think Snape would appeciate to be put together with James, even in a childs name :)

I better stop or Ill be writting till tommorow :)

11. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

I have already posted my opinion on other HP messgeboards so I will keep my opinion brief.

I am a huge HP fan and waited 10 years for this book and to be honest, I was a little disappointed with it. I guess us HP fans over analyze everything, I know I do and I read into every sentence but I just expected a little more.
    The first few chapters were good but the camping took up far too much of the book. It dragged and they didnt do much when they were camping, apart from moan and go on about how they didnt know where the hocruxes were.
    I was disappointed with how JKR killed off Lupin and Tonks. Lupin being my fave character, I just thought it was wrong and sick to kill him off, well, both of them to be honest. Finally happy then she kills him.. without a proper send off..
    Snape I was annoyed about. All my friends said he loved Lily but I didnt want that to be the WHOLE reason as to why DD trusted him.. thought it would be more heroic or interesting.. I know its sweet and I guess it could have been part of the storyline but I wanted something different for why he trusted him so much.. I feel it was a cop out.I love Snape and wanted to see him more throughout the book. Wanted him to speak with Harry, too.
    I also think Harry talking to DD was a cop out at the end, like they were in some limbo..
    The epilogue was just corny and I would have been happy with it ending at Hogwarts castle.. no need to go that far into harrys future..
    I know alot of people wanted to know what happened, but it felt like a few chapters were missing before the epilogue..
    We were taken too far forward, STRAIGHT after the killing of LV, torn away from our fave characters then we were reading about people we didnt even know.. I couldnt feel anything for them.. to be honest I couldnt care less if Harry had children.. I wanted to know about the present not the future.
    I thought the deathly hallows were unimportant but apart from that the book was good. :)
    Wasnt as humerous as the rest but the end really did make up for the whole book, the action and the battle was ace. :)

Like I say, I am a huge HP fan, I go to all the messgeboards and talk about it daily so dont think im a HP hater or anything.. I just didnt enjoy the book.. :(

12. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ Wow, that's freaky. I think you just summed up my feelings on the book very aptly! I think I felt exactly the way you did, from the sounds of it.

I didn't dislike the book, but it definitely isn't one of my faves. In fact I was hazzard saying it was my least favourite of the series.

13. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I've never before noticed that there were book discussions here too. So here's my opinion:

I loved the book. There was just so much happening - the escape at the beginning - getting into the Ministry - getting in and (especially) out of Gringotts - the Malfoy Manor - the final battle - I really needed the camping moments to let it all sink in and because in those chapters slowly Dumbledore's hints and the Hallows fairytale/story were unraveled.

Some of the deaths were unexpected (Hedwig, Dobby), but I already suspected that a lot of the order members and one or more Weasleys wouldn't survive.

I was, however, shocked the most by Snape's death. He has to be one of the most tragic characters ever. First he loses the love of his life twice; she marries James and then gets killed. Then he watches over Harry his entire life while being loathed by everyone. He cannot do anything during Voldemort's rise and the regrouping of the Death Eaters in fear of blowing his cover. And when things are almost over he gets killed...so sad...

The irony of Voldemort's defeat, again (although not so obvious this time), caused by the love of a mother for her son was awesome, but it also reminds me of the thing I did not like about this book...one important story (imo) is just not finished properly. Lucius and Draco Malfoy are two of my favourite characters; here you have two deliciously evil men and the most important woman in their lives betrays everything they believe in. I really wanted to know what they thought of Narcissa's action, what has happened to them after the battle (especially Lucius), has Draco turned to the dark or the light (dark in my book), so many questions...

14. csimiamiadict

csimiamiadict Hit and Run

I know I've posted my opinions before,but I just reread all the books,realy slowly,for the umpteenth time, and it was so upsetting. I'd be like,"Dobby, your going to die!NOOOOOOOO!!" But it made a lot more sense.

I read the first book in first grade and now it's finally over... :( I can't wait for Snapes memories/Harry's death to be in the movie.It will be intresting to see Snape cry...and Ron...and Dumbldore. I found Dumbldore losing control was kind of, well,it was unexpected. :eek:

:confused: I've read the book 3 times now, and I don't understand how Harry knows the elder wand is Draco's. I figured maybe because Harry was the True master of the Horcroxes, whatever wand he possesed would be the Elder Wand. :confused: Am I right? :confused:

15. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

While I enjoy the HP series, I had mix feelings about Deathly Hallows.

The Highlights:

-- Potterwatch. I absolutely loved the idea and the old kick back to WWII was a lot of fun to read. I was also, like Harry, starving for news from the other characters -- I've read about them unpacking and packing the tent enough times thank-you-very-much.

-- Lupin and Tonks. I adore Lupin and was glad to see him happy for once since being a professor at Hogwarts.

-- The Wizarding World. I'd been dying to learn more about the wizarding world and how it functions, and the bits tossed in here and there (plus the fall out at the Ministry and Voldemort's rise to power) was fun to read.

-- Neville. He was kicking ass and taking names….about time too.

-- Luna. The girl’s such an oddball, but she had her moments.

-- Dumbledore’s Secret. I know Dumbledore is supposed to be The Almighty Wizard, but something’s always bugged me about the guy. I never liked how he expected people to blindly trust him and ask questions, but only answer them when he felt like it. I felt it was dabbling into someone who could easily have a dictator-like side (maybe that’s the wrong word to use). So I enjoyed reading that he did have some rather scary aspirations as a youth that in some ways, spilled over into adulthood.

The Not So Enjoyable Parts:

-- Lupin and Tonks. Ok Rowling, I get it. You wanted have Teddy an orphan and show that unlike Neville and Harry, he grew up healthy and loved despite not having parents. I thought from a literary standpoint, however, it was greatly fumbled around. I was hoping that Lupin would be the reprieve from his doomed generation and his status as a social outcast. He would become the author’s example of someone facing daily hardships and was strong enough to overcome and live a relatively normal life. Tonks too. Instead, it’s this last minute add in for their deaths that overrides everything I thought they were meant to represent (and apparently I thought wrong). While I was thrilled with Teddy, I thought Remus wasn’t meant to represent a lost father figure. Arthur would have worked sooo much better for that role as that’s what he was introduced as and the reader had come to associate him with. It would have been far more interesting to see how the Weasley clan coped with the lost of Arthur during wartime.

Plus, the off screen deaths didn’t really help. It just seemed like a bit of a last minute addition and well…it was. I found it hard that Lupin, the only Order member from my recollection to come out unscathed from the Department of Mysteries, and again unscathed from the first Battle at Hogwarts, and once again physically unscathed from a year long stint with feral werewolves would be axed off by Doholov of all people. Doholov who already a slightly obscure DE in his appearances was bested by kids – twice. I have, however, wrapped my head around it that perhaps Lupin (and Tonks too) were exhausted with their barely two-month-old son and so much was happening all at once that their skills didn’t cut it anymore.

-- Wizarding Camp. There was so much packing and unpacking, packing and unpacking again of the Trio’s camp gear. Everything that seemed to be so much more interesting was happening elsewhere – Potterwatch, the state of the wizarding world, the other Order members, Neville and co. at Hogwarts, etc. Though the last bit is probably strictly due to my own preference as a reader as I’ve never had any particular attachment to any of the Trio.

-- Snape. I was hoping there would be more to Snape than him simply loving Lily. I was hoping he would almost be a redemption of someone who once accepted the Death Eaters’ ways and changed his views for something more than having the hots for a chick. I was hoping there’d be something to actually like about the guy, IMO. I always found him to cruel, gross, and generally unlikable. *shrugs*

-- The Useless Werewolf Plot. I’m sorry, but what the heck happened to this? I thought it’d become some important part than why Lupin had to break off his relationship with Tonks and send them through a year of hell. Aside from Fenrir The Bounty Hunter, and Remus and Tonks having to hightail it out of Harry’s birthday dinner…it dropped off the face of the earth.

-- Prejudice and Justice. I found it a little odd that one of Rowling’s themes has to do with repressed minorities, and she goes and kills off all her characters who represent that particular storyline. Granted it could be argued that they (ex: Lupin and Dobby) were fighting for their beliefs, but in the end nothing changed. While I certainly don’t expect social change to happen overnight, the readers were given nothing to show that them struggling against daily prejudice was worth anything. Sadly, I kind of felt it was a kickback to those who fight for equal rights – almost punished and a “don’t try and revolt against the system.” Yeah Kreacher was happy in the end, but he was fighting for his masters as a content house elf.

And ok, Voldemort died, but I felt there was also a lack of justice in the book for the Death Eaters. It’s probably just me as a reader with a bizarre interest, but I would have liked to have a small mention of the remaining Order members having rounded up the surviving Death Eaters…not the Malfoy family huddling in a corner, no longer sure where they stand in the wizarding world. It also didn’t help to only learn that the Malfoy family once again escaped justice in Rowling’s interview – sorry, but Lucius should have been carted off to Azkaban. <.<

-- Dumbledore. While I enjoyed learning his secret, I still found ways to also dislike the man. The blind trust and ability to do things for the “greater good” at the expense of others lives (unknowingly at that) was frustrating to read. I was grounding my teeth enough over Lupin’s mission (and which only turned out to be rather pointless later), but then to jeopardize the lives of Order members who trusted him almost blindly (IMO) was a bit much. I know it was supposed to be this great big secret, but I’m sure the Order still would have agreed to go through with rescuing Harry at the beginning if they knew the Death Eaters would have been waiting for them. I totally blame Moody’s death on Dumbledore, and I just felt that if the risk of death is involved, people have a right to know. Yes, they knew they were risking their lives when joining the Order, but they’re still people. They’re not pawns for Dumbledore’s twisted version of wizarding chess.

But don’t get me wrong, I know Dumbledore had his highlights and contributed a lot to the wizarding world. I’ll give him that. It’s just his manipulative and ultimately deadly faults were aggravating, lol.

So while I wouldn’t say Deathly Hallows was my favorite of the HP series, I did enjoy it. I read it straight through and like most books, found both things I liked and things I didn’t like.