Grade 'Happily Never After'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

^And don't forget that when we do see Fiona's feet, they were adorned with ruby red heels, a la the WWotE.

The episode was okay, at best. You have to hand it to Flack though, always thinking of his stomach, but I bet we still see him buy food from a street vendor in some future episode.

The best part of Danny's performance tonight was the continuity. His reaction to Mac when told that they were headed to a preschool was a stark contrast to Lindsay's behavior in Silent Night last season. He didn't think he could face it, but chose to be professional about it instead and did his job instead of running away and crying in the morgue. Considering the immediacy of the event -- I can't really wrap my head around exactly how long ago the events with Ruben were meant to have occurred, but it had to have been within a week or two -- he deserves some credit for continuing to show up for work and get the job done.

Otherwise, the references to the fairy tales were entertaining, but the ending flimsy and tossed-together. C.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Either that or we'll see him with someone else--probably Danny--and that person goes to buy food and Flack is like, "No way. You don't want to go there. Trust me on this, pal." :lol:

Good point about the contrast with Lindsay. I know some find Danny dramatic and angsty, but this is a prime example of how he's able to put himself aside for the job, unlike some other people *cough*Lindsay*cough*.

3. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Character moments registered much more than the cases. The Peter Pan case struck a pang of nostalgia in me; the Disney animated movie used to be my favorite one as a child. :lol:

Angell talking to Danny about Ruben and saying, "I'm sorry." = Great continuity. The scene wasn't awkward at all, and Danny wasn't angry or unhappy that she brought it up with him. He wouldn't even have replied her by telling her Ruben's name and age otherwise. It was only when he realized that she didn't know about him being Ruben's caretaker right before he died that he decided to quickly change the topic back to their case. Danny's definitely still blaming himself for what happened, and most likely thinks that everyone else is blaming him too and just not saying it to his face. (All the more reason why I love Flack for what he'll say to Danny in the next episode! :D)

Adam dancing his Wu-Tang dance = Funniest, cutest moment evah. Mac standing there all amused and smiling at Adam = Even more funny. Adam finding Mac standing there and having seen him dance his dorky dance = Priceless. :lol:

And oh Flack, don't tell me you never knew about the ugliness of the vendor food world! If you think what you saw was bad ... man, I hope you never go behind-the-scenes in the food production and restaurant world of Asia. :eek: :lol:

[​IMG]

There, there. *pet* You'll be back to wolfing down them hotdogs in no time.

4. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Hahaha! This struck a chord in me! I love eating street food! And someone would go, 'You know how they make that?' and I'd say, 'Don't tell me! I'd rather live in ignorance! Yes, ignorance is bliss. That scene was actually pretty tame compared to what actually happens in Asia. Flack would probably go into a catatonic trance! :lol:

5. Leftyguitar

Leftyguitar Police Officer

^Kinda reminds of the time I made the mistake of reading the ingerdients on a hot dog label. One of the first one the list was, and I'm not kidding, Mechanically separated chicken.
    It was quite a while before I could eat another hot dog
    Sometimes, you're just happier not knowing.

6. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

this was an excellent episode

I liked how both of the cases were similary in theme

Macs case started really good and it was rather intriguing but the solution was kinda blah. but it was also sad because it was such an unphantomable motive

the Wicked Witch case was really good. I especially liked the dog, which btw looked like the one from NWILL. and the ending was sweet too.

Flack was great especially during the scene in the warehouse - or whatever it was. and it was apparently his turn to chase a suspect. but his tie - oh boy was it horrible.

Adams little dance was cute and I like Lindsay and Hawkes working together, they complement each other nicely in their geekness

best line: Now the question is, who the hell is Alice. :)

during the whole episode somewhere in the back of my mind I was waiting for something but that was just my addiction speaking. hopefully I get a fix in the next epi

the only part I didnt like at all was the Angell/Ruben/Danny talk. it was so forced and so out of blue. obviously I wish he would have talked to Lindsay but anyone would be better. Flack coming first to mind or Mac, maybe even Adam. I never really liked Angell and they are doing nothing in changing it

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

They're both terriers. The one from NWILL was a border terrier and the one from HNA was a norwich terrier. I've seen pictures of both where they can kinda have the same look; but I didn't think those two particular dogs used in the episodes looked alike.

I really liked that it was Angell and the way that it was done. Having it come from Angell allowed it to be enough of a moment to have continuity from CP, but since Angell hasn't been shown as part of the team so much as just another homicide detective they work with, it wasn't overly emotional and didn't detract from the case they were working.

And intentional or not, it really highlighted how someone Danny doesn't interact with all that much was able to express her condolences while not pushing him to talk about it. Lindsay, who is not only one of his partners at work but is supposed to be his girlfriend, her first concern wasn't Danny and his feelings, but herself and her own feelings.

When the morgue scene in CP aired I didn't think Lindsay was being selfish. I thought her admission was an honest one and I thought Mac's advice to be honest was decent. After HNA, however, it's painfully obvious that she's just pulling another "it's all about me" and is incapable of putting that aside for anyone else.

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^I definitely agree that from Danny's random commentary about Ruben throughout the episode that it doesn't seem like he's had much of an outlet to open up about Ruben. He talked about him a little with Angell, and made that comment to Mac, which suggests to me that Lindsay hasn't found a way to get over her issues yet and really be there for him. I think her admission in CP was honest, too, but it seems unlikely that she's reached out to Danny yet and that is pretty selfish. It's so obvious how much Danny's hurting, and someone who supposedly cares about him would have to be pretty selfish to not get over herself and reach out to him. Even "I'm not very good at this, but I'm here for you" is better than nothing.

9. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

Okay ep. I would have liked to seen a bit more of Lindsey.

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok it's got to be a B+ from me! I t was an ok episode but definatly not the best. I agree with alot of what you've said but i'll just add a few of my own points...

- I loved Lindsay and Stella's coats :D

- Danny, wardrobe did a good job giving you that white shirt :devil:

- Those 'adults' who had taken Foxy just made me laugh! But that case was in my opinion too wierd!

- Lindsay and the dog was cute!

- Flack was just too funny when he was in the fast food place :lol:

- There really wasn't enough Flack in my opinion!

- Adam was the highlight of the episode making me grade it a B+ rather than just a B! And you made Mac smile :D

11. msl

msl Dead on Arrival

Flack was the best part. It totally reminded me why I don't eat dirty water dogs!! Don’t get me wrong they taste great and I’ve never gotten sick but knowing that I know-No thank you.

The “foxy case” was kind cool…but the murderer coming back to the brother’s office. I don’t know?!
    The “Dorothy case” that was good. I like the way that case closed better. L was better team player than she has been in the past (season 3). She certainly contributed more and there were more smiles. As you watch you think Fiona was the wicked witch of the East. She had a broom on display in her office…a house fell on her…she had red shoes on at TOD... not sure where the dog comes in but you have that too...otto-toto (all the letter are there) maybe the dog belonged to the hotel.
    Getting nutty I know BUT I love the show for the wee-tiny nerd details. :lol:

The Ruben talk was more to remind us what Danny was going through and you can feel Danny/Carmine bit down on his feels. You have the throw away comment he made in the lab “Toys and school is the last place I want to be looking for a killer right now.” The conversation allowed you see some of the emotion that he keeps inside when he made that comment. So needless to say I can’t for the next new ep. :p

12. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

From the spoilers I believe we are to understand that Flack will "be there" for Danny in a future episode, but to this point, what you say about Lindsay could also apply to him. He, like Lindsay was working on another case, so there was no interaction to give us any kind of clues. Has he tried talking to Danny? One would imagine he has, and perhaps was brushed off at the time. Perhaps Lindsay made an awkward attempt and was told to back off. Or perhaps she is so uncomfortable that she's avoided the attempt. While it was nice that the Angell-Danny conversation took place to provide continuity (likewise the comment Danny made about not wanting to investigate kindergartens and the look Mac gave) there really isn't any indication that any of his collegues have (or haven't) tried to console Danny. I haven't seen the previews (grrr to CTV) but I'm hoping we get some idea in the next episode. I was basically indifferent to the whole D/L thing last season, but now I'm finding it irritating. Either they are or they aren't "a couple" but for goodness sakes let the audience know one way or the other and then move on.

13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

One would imagine so, but there's been no interaction between Flack and Danny on screen since the shooting, therefore it hasn't happened.

The dog belonged to her.
    And I also noticed that she was said to be originally from Kansas, with a last name of Gale, and founded a hotel called Dorothea.

14. privatename

privatename Rookie

Its funny, but it felt to me like Lindsay had too much screen time -- it felt to me like she had more screen time than anyone else. She kept popping up.

15. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

True. I think the point I was trying to make (and I was really tired last night so it didn't come across very clearly) was that here Lindsay is being branded as selfish and thoughtless for something that hasn't happened - on screen anyway. Obviously as his girlfriend (if that is her current status with him?) she should make an attempt, however inadequate at comfort. We've had no indication that she has done so (nor have we had any real indication that they are in a relationship). So I'm not saying it is unfair to brand her as self centred, etc. I just find it interesting how Danny's good friend Flack isn't getting any, well flack when we have no evidence that he's offered any support either. As I said above, perhaps that is because the spoilers indicate he will "be there" for Danny in a future episode. But to this point, it doesn't seem anyone has tried to "be there" for Danny. But only one character is being complained about on this point, which I find interesting, but not too surprising. ;)