Grade 'Greater Good'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 6, 2009.

?

How would you grade Greater Good?

1. A+

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. A

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. B

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. C

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Alright. These are my thoughts on the episode.

I thought Mac was fantastic, which is not normal for me because most of the time I find him to be monotone and blan. The case was interesting and sort of showed the human spirit which I liked. But I didnt like that when he found out he was covering for his daughter he pushed on. If I were a cop I think I would have walked away, it was something that the man knew was the right thing to do. That is what annoyed me mid-episode. I loved the ending though, with the mother and Mac saying his peace and doing what was best for the greater good. Well written and thoughtful.

However. Sigh. Danny and Lindsay.
    I am a fan of the couple. I like them both. In this episode I was so annoyed with Danny and was actually uncomfortable watching him. I like when he is nice to Lindsay but the f*ckin pet names "baby!" "Love you love you love you"
    GAH it seemed so forced and unnatural to his character. I was so annoyed with him during the birth scene that I muted the TV, its like Carmine forgot how to act in that moment. His voice even got feminine. It could be just me, but I only like Danny when he is spinning out of control and banging his neighbour or smashing someone face off of the ground.
    When he is trying to be the perfect husband and Dad I want to cut him!

Whoa anger...

well those are my thoughts. :D

2. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I thought he sounded quite Californian in that scene, seemed to forget the NY accent for a moment. Though, I've noticed it on other occasions too. I guess his accent has probably mellowed in real life.

3. under_cover

under_cover Hit and Run

the only scene i didnt like in this episode was the delivery(birth)scene...i was like "oh enough!" though my mom, who happens to be a doctor, reminded me that its always like that for normal delivery(like i didnt know), that some of them are even uttering some unprintable words...but what can i do, i just dont like that scene.

ps. the baby is cute :) and hope they'll name her Lucy.

4. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

The "here comes the baby!" business wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. Anna still can't emote worth crap, and you'd think that as a woman who's had two children that she'd be able to summon up a reasonable facsimile of a "labor face". But no, we didn't even get that. And sorry, there was no real need for her to grab Adam and demand that he hijack a car to take her to the hospital when you're in NYC and a cab could probably get her there faster. But overall, I'm grateful the whole thing was kept mostly in the background and didn't take over the episode.

I am totally perplexed at Mac. Like others have mentioned, why give Katherine such a huge pass? Grief or not, she hired a hit man to take out someone who she thought was responsible for her daughter's death. Good thing Mac divulged sensitive investigative information to her, though, 'cause that could have been a major disaster. What? I killed the wrong person? Can I get a do-over? Not terribly plausible to me, but this show makes great leaps in believability on a regular basis.

Other than that tiny thing, I really enjoyed watching Charles Dutton and Mare Winningham. They're great character actors, and are always solid. Even though we knew from the outset that Talmadge was covering for someone and given the circumstances that it was likely one of his own children, it was well done. There was no real suspense, but that didn't seem called for in this episode so much as the gradual unfolding of the details of the case.

5. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I loved this episode, and Mac (not surprising) is the godfather that's sweet. I gave this episode an A:adore: I thought the whole birthing scene was done really well and I loved it after the baby was born he whispered "I love you" to her (so cute). And when Flack said to Mac that godfather is code for diaper changing was hilarious.

The only thing about this episode that I didn't understand is how a man can serve a prison sentence for something that he didn't do.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. Nightrider

Nightrider Witness

Meh, I gave it a C+. If it wasn't for Charles S. Dutton and Mare Winningham, I would have fallen asleep -- and that's with a casual Mac in jeans (Mmmmmm ...). Unfortunately, with the guest stars' strong performances, Gary seemed too low-key in his perfomance. We obviously know the man can act, but it seemed like he was phoning it in. Sorry if I offend anyone. I'm a huge fan of his and I was a little dissapointed.
    I'm with roximonoxide. The mother, who hires someone to kill someone, gets compassion, but the kid, who accidentally kills someone and after being dogged by the CSIs, comes clean. doesn't? Seriously? I'm not condoning what happened, it just seemed a bit lopsided.
    And Mac's line about a DA not wanting to prosecute the daughter was complete BS. Many DA's are good peps who want to do the right thing and get justice for victims, but many more are politicians who are looking to move up in their career. The daughter's case would be a wet dream for them. I can see the prosection's defense: Kid with prior DWI let's her father take the fall for the death and languish in jail for over a year, while she tries to redeem the act of killing someone by actually saving people. DA's would be salivating for this one. Letting it go doesn't seem realistic at all.
    And did anyone notice that Danny didn't even kiss Lindsay after the spawn -- sorry, kid -- was born. Jesus couldn't even create chemistry between these two. It's just painful to watch now. I don't know if it's intentional, but it's just painful now.
    But in the end, I still enjoyed watching Adam (you shoulda dumped the bitch out at the ER with the car still rolling! Just kidding! :lol:), Sheldon, Flack and Sid. Love you guys!
    BTW, name the kid Lucy (Lucy in the sky with diamonds). I hope they have good insurance, because the kid is going to need a lot of therapy!

7. Bunchie

Bunchie Dead on Arrival

I thought the case itself was very dry and boring..I wanted it to be over. It was so predictable and not interesting. I did love all the d/l moments. I thought anna did a wonderful job, so believable. I thought mac was quite pushy this epi. Like why can't he leave things alone. It's you day off..go to sleep. Thought it could have been better..

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Who is this Ruben person you speak of?? :p There is no room for the rememberance of dead children in the story of teh twu wuv. :rolleyes: :shifty:

I do think the woman's name was Lucy, come to think of it. Way to be PTB. :rolleyes: Now I'm really hoping they go with Lydia. I imagine they will because if they go with Danny's name he'll have a life time of wrath from Lindsay over how she didn't get her way in naming her daughter.

9. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Does anyone remember when Mac used to be a decent but damaged man with his heart in the right place and not a raving lunatic who engaged in the following illegal or unethical activities to achieve his ends:

-stalking

-harassment

-intimidation

-threatening to send an innocent man back to prison on a parole violation because he didn't get what he wanted immediately.

-deciding to overlook the fact that Mrs. Donovan had conspired to commit murder twice because "grief makes decent, good people make bad decisions." Well, hey, by that logic, Lessing should be excused for killing six people and almost killing Flack, because his fear for the safety of his city and country prompted him to make a colossal oopsie.

Mac's cack-handed handling of the Donovan case was an embarrassing debacle. He's so determined to prove himself right that he's willing to harass an innocent man and send him back to prison to prove his point. Does no one see anything wrong with this picture? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Mac is so consumed with masturbating his own ego, er, seeking justice for Maris Donovan that he's willing to pervert justice a second time to attain it. I'm sorry, but when did New York City become a Gitmo annex? Such thinking isn't just wrong, it's obscene. Mac has been a magnificent narcissist for several excruciating seasons now, but it's out of control. I've no doubt that were they written into a crossover, the Criminal Minds braintrust would deem him a narcissistic sociopath and boggle at his fantastic lack of self-awareness.

His terminal meism was also on display during his final conversation with Mrs. Donovan.

Dear Mac,

I hate to burst your bubble, but sometimes, no one cares about you. Losing your wife on 9/11 and never finding her body isn't the same magnitude as seeing your daughter's dead body lying in the street. There's a terrible immediacy to seeing a dead loved one. It bursts the cocooning bubble of denial a lot faster, I can assure you, and while it can be rebuilt, your last recollection of them will be wherever they were when they died. Shove your patronizing empathy. Losing Claire on 9/11 doesn't make you an authority on grief. There are several thousand New Yorkers who can lay claim to that mantle as well. Stop thinking it makes you special.

La Guera

So Mac, who had little pity for a woman who fought back and killed her stalker in a bid to save her sanity, has no qualms about letting off a woman who tried to have two people murdered? People whom she hasn't seen in years, and who haven't been threatening her at all? All because she's a grieving mother, and he, who ordinarily demonstrates the empathy of burnt toast, understand grief? Well, isn't that convenient? Where was this empathy when a woman conspired to kill her rapist with another victim? After all, rape engenders grief, too, and fear. And certainly he should understand fear. Wasn't he a soldier once upon a time? Oh, right. He was Super!Mac and had no fear. Fear is for pansies and bleeding hearts like the rest of his team. My mistake. Carry on.

I'm beyond tired of Pope Mac and his constant flow of righteous bulls and lofty dispensations. It's not uplifting or inspiring. It's nauseating and rage-inducing. When will someone rein him in?

A boring hour of Holy Mac and his awe-inspiring dedication to the job which none can match. Not even Flack, who showed up to work during the Blue Flu and shouldered the burden of ten officers. Weakling. Why isn't he filling his off days with persecution of the innocent, er, the pursuit of justice? Slacker.

Dear Danny,

Lindsay isn't a pickle jar. She can't just vacuum seal the baby inside her womb until you get there and shoot it out with the hearty pop of freshness when it's convenient. Your angst and jitters, however, were adorable.

Guera

When the arrival of Lil' Messer is the least insufferable part of the episode, it's been an unqualified horror show.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. lynerjy

lynerjy Victim

word.

Even the hitman thought she was dangerous.

11. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think it was partially because Adam was blabbering about Mac taking a day off when he never takes a day off and Lindsay had been looking for Danny to take her to the hospital. I don't think that it was that she was trying to rude to Adam. Some of you are making it sound like she is always rude to Adam which I don't think is the case.

And they always do the labor scenes on all the TV shows I've watched except Without A Trace...

I am very annoyed that they didn't tell us the baby's name.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Guera, as ever, I freakin' love your reviews. I guess I went a little easy on Mac because I think he needs all the lessons in compassion he can get, but he definitely was riding a high horse in this one--and didn't really get knocked off. He was still the dispenser of justice, the White Knight who is always Right. He's not at Horatio levels yet--at least he apologized to Neville in the end, though maybe not for the right thing.

LOL, that was awesome--totally cracked me up! :lol: But also dead on true. Danny being the perfect husband and father is drivel worthy of wish-fulfillment fantasy fanfic--not the real show. The Danny that is interesting and dynamic and fun to watch is the one who is making mistakes or is getting out of control or doing something rash and impetuous.

His accent is lighter in real life--it's definitely there, but not as heavy as Danny's is.

Was she bad at faking labor? I've never been in labor before, but when she was actually pushing the kid out it seemed realistic enough to me.

I noticed that, too. No kiss--he just put his head up against hers. There really is just no chemistry between these two. I think the fact that we saw her with Stella and him with Adam--rather than together--proves that we're not the only ones aware of that lack of chemistry. ;)

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

B+

I wanted to give it an A but there were too many things that didn't make a lot of sense. Mostly details but they're the aspects that take me out of the show and make me go 'huh?', then take a moment to figure out what's going on, by which time I've missed something else.

I thought the case was interesting in terms of some of the parallels with the personal stuff. In some ways it was nice seeing Mac put aside morality for compassion at the end. But, as others have said, I can see a whole lotta other occassions where it would have been more appropriate for him to do that. The case itself clearly got beaten by the personal undertones. There were no surprises. It was obvious who had taken out the contract on Neville, it was obvious Neville was protecting his daughter. What I struggled with re. the case though, was the hitman's attack of conscience. Would he really just pop in and say 'hey, I'm a contract killer but I don't want to kill this woman so please do something to stop it.'? It's stuff like that which frustrates me about the show, it wouldn't have taken much to work in a better way to have him reveal what he knows. Maybe they could have had him arrested for something, then questioned about the photos and the gun in his possession.

Now for the baby stuff. I don't doubt that the scene with Lindsay and Adam was supposed to be funny, it was, but she did come across as a little abrasive. It's the second time she's been like that with Adam (as in 'I need to pull rank'. I personally don't count the 'get your little ass to work' as abrasive because I found that hilarious). Now, I'd excuse any woman in labour for being abrasive, but this got me thinking about how tptb want Lindsay portrayed. It certainly seems to me that theywant there to be a little tension between her and Adam. Lindsay shows her frustration with him, whereas most of the others have accepted his quirks, albeit with a little eye roll here and there. I actually like how Lindsay and Adam are played, it's realistic that while we as viewers love him, his colleagues are going to get annoyed with him, that's the joy of his awkward personality. I remember when Lindsay walked up to Danny and Adam when Adam was giving Danny the financial adivce (can't think which episode specifically off the top of my head though) - Adam suddenly looked much more nervous as she approached. He certainly seemed a little scared of her here as well. But, at the same time he stayed with her while she waited for Danny. Go Adam!! I love him even more for that.

I was really confused about the Montana thing. Were we supposed to believe she hopped off a plane and headed into work to announce the pending arrival? Did she just don a lab coat because she was chilly? Or, was she working? In which case why did she have a bag with her and why did she even mention just getting back from Montana? And, if she only just got back from Montana, where did Danny spend his two weeks suspension? Did he fly out? Details, tptb, details! They really are as important as the main gist of the episode because I found myself distracted by those questions for the next few minutes.

I love how some of the relationships were portrayed this episode. Danny/Adam, Danny/Hawkes, Stella/Lindsay were great. I really, really hope that we get some decent Danny/Flack before season end though, their phone convo was great but .....

I absolutely loved how nervous and excited Danny was. He was like a little kid at Christmas. Kudos to Carmine for his portrayal, it was spot on. Also, kudos to Anna for the birthing scene, I was surprised they showed it but it was done very well.

When I first realised they would probably ask Mac to be godfather I rolled my eyes along with many others. But, as I watched the episode I realised it did actually make sense. In terms of the person who is close to both Danny and Lindsay it's Mac. He also has the moral fibre I would imagine most parents would want in their 'honourary'. Although, again, the fact both Danny and Lindsay have brother's and (I assume) not a sister between them I do think it'd be nice to have Stella as godmother.

14. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

We have no idea if or how many siblings Lindsay has.

We know that Danny has a brother (who after being beaten within an inch of his life was never seen or heard from again) and three uncles (one of them is construction). Lindsay has an uncle in New York (that she stayed with when she first moved to NY in Season 2, I think his name was Fred), Hawkes' Uncle Frank recently died, Stella was an orphan/in foster care, Flack has sister & his dad was a cop, Adam's father was a bully & Mac's father was in the military.... I think that's about all we know.

Although I am with everybody else - did Danny go out to Montana on his 2 week suspension? I just assumed Lindsay had come back.

15. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I think she was, but that's just me (and Rhonda :guffaw:). Think of the worst cramps you've ever had, and imagine that going on for hours and at regular intervals. But again, I do give them a lot of credit for not making this the front and center focus of the episode.

Also, to echo what someone else has said (sorry, I'm very bad with the quoting today because I'm lazy, quite frankly), Danny was... annoying! I know I had a C-section, but if my husband had been acting like that in the delivery room, I'd have had him kicked out. :p