Grade 'Can You Hear Me Now?'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I really liked the episode. I thought it was a good season opener. Some stuff felt kind of off, like it was forced by the writers.

Did anyone else find it weird that they changed the opening credit but didn't add Robert Joy or AJ Buckley?? and why do the words now start on Carmine's name instead of at the beg. with Gary name like always??

I thought Kendell and Adam were really cute together. Kendall by herself may come off as kind of annoying but with Adam the completive nature they have to see who can solve their evidence first is kind of cute. Definitely adds humor.

Question wasn't Danny wearing a bandage around his wrist while they were at the Statue of Liberty?? But when him and Flack arrest the killer he's not wearing the bandage. Were did it go???

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

*nod* the logic was kinda messed up. But I did enjoy it.

A few people are gonna be excited lol...Adam getting some. I did figure out toward the end that the 3:33 calls were part of something else...but I can't say more here.

Question: Was the previous case an actual ep or no?

3. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

I loved the scene with Danny and Lindsay in the lab. It was so cute, I love them.
    The spray thing was adorable... oh and Lindsay's hair is so cute.
    Also did anyone notice Danny's attitude in the beginning? it was kind of weird.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ok, it was good, but not spectacular. I think I might have had my hopes too high after the hiatus. So I want to re-watch it and see if I enjoy it more. I'm not sure what to say about the cases and everything since the show didn't get 100% of my attention on the first viewing (since I was chatting at the same time).

As for Kendell--I think she's a bit awkward, and I'm hoping she blends in better in later episodes. Something about the way she spoke didn't thrill me (and if I recall correctly, I didn't like the way the actress spoke when she was in "Till Death Do We Part" either, so maybe it's the actress? I hope not, because I really want to like Kendell). Her competition with Adam was cute, but I hope they don't just relegate either of them to that. When he explained the music box plate, did she have a legitimate reason to be there?

However, I have to say, I wasn't thrilled with the way Lindsay called him and called him 'socially awkward', etc etc--it didn't come across as funny or teasing, and is she really in a place to comment on someone being late for work?

Adam waking up on the floor, however, was adorable. Too bad they think chest hair is evil on this show. *pout*

(Yes, that's all I have to say for now, stuff about Adam. ;))

5. Starch1ld

Starch1ld Civilian

The opening credits were definately different - will take some getting used to the music change for me I think. The show itself I loved it :D but... the Mac thing is / was an interesting spin and I can't wait to see where they go with it.... I only hope it doesn't turn out to be a let down.

Adam! whoot... unsure about that pairing though.

Not enough of the science / lab work stuff this time around.

What happened in England is what I'd like to know - Mac didn't seem overly "missing" his lady.

Sadly where I watch (Ontario Canada) they never show us previews of the next one so that just disappoints me each time :(

6. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Was there a preview for next week? I too live in Ontario... Stupid CTV!

7. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

I can't decide if I like the new opening credits or not. I will give them another week to make a final judgement.

Hey, Fay , I'm sure you were as bummed as I was that AJ was not in the opening credits!! :mad: :mad: Total injustice! :(

Is it just me or does Flack get hotter as his hair gets shorter? I, for one, loved the shorter 'do.

Now on to something I did not like, the dreaded spray-on condom scene. I got the major dry heaves when Lindsay put the can in Danny's lab coat pocket. :rolleyes: I was so hoping TPTB wouldn't go there this early in the season, but they did.

The case was kind of meh. As was expected, Alison whats-her-name was less than a stellar actress.

I did like the Adam-Kendall flirting. I think they are cute together. (Sorry Fay )

Loved Hill with the slightly longer hair and slight goatee.

I gave it an A- since it was a new episode and the freshness overruled any flaws in my book.

8. FLACK_ATTACK

FLACK_ATTACK Prime Suspect

After waiting months to see this, I have to say that this eppy rocked! Glad to see Adam/ A.J. get a love interest (btw, is Flack suppose to have one too?) LOVED seeing Danny/Carmine again. I thought it was interesting that they focused on one case. Also it will be interesting to see what comes of the situation Mac is in (with the numbers). Stella/Melina and Lindsay/Anna were awesome as well.

On another note, the actress who played Nova Kent (Alison Sudol A.K.A. A Fine Frenzy) has an amazing voice! I loved the two songs she performed and am going to listen to more of her songs to see if her album is worth buying)

Overall, this eppy was great and I am eagerly awaiting next week and the release of the third season on October 9th.

9. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Can it be? A good, coherent episode of CSI:NY that didn't leave me questioning my loyalty to the show? NY has always done best in the one-case format, and "Can You Hear Me Now?" was no exception. The case hit the ground running and never stopped. Everyone, even the new addition, was firing on all cylinders. They were crisp, on form, and clearly happy to be there. Even Anna Belknap, who usually grates with her leaden performance, demonstrated verve and zest. Perky!Lindsay is light years better than Emo!Lindsay, and with her Deep, Dark Past exposed, maybe she'll stay in that vein. At least until the S.S. Dindsay hits the turbulent shoals of regularly scheduled angst.

I'm hardly a fashion maven. My wardrobe of choice is often sans pants, and I cut my hair when I'm tired of the Gordian knots into which it ties itself, but Lindsay's new hairstyle is fabulous and very flattering. Pregnancy might have taken a greater toll than fen realized, because she was radiant, very much the spunky, eager beaver of "Zoo York."

Too bad poor Danny looked 45. Seriously, man needed a nap.

Maybe Lindsay's a succubus, leeching the vitality from his bones to regain her youth.

The case was gripping until the introduction of the super, who went out of his way to remind Stella that'd he'd been a suspect in a previous case. After that, suspicion was on him like stink on fish twat, but it was entertaining, nonetheless. The motives were believable, and surprise, surprise, it wasn't all about rich people killing each other for Ecstasy, cars, sex, lack of sex, or just for shits and giggles.

The foundation for another brick in Mac's Wall of Persecution was neatly lain. I just hope they don't over do it. I certainly could've done without the super-slow-mo crosswalk scene.

And Flack was love, of course. I especially loved his paranoid blind closing in the apartment and his superhero leap over the concert hall stairs. I only wish that he wasn't constantly portrayed as a gun-jumping nitwit eager to pin crimes on the nearest suspect or available perp. How did he become the youngest detective ever if he's such a nimrod? Let somebody else be the foil for Mac's Epiphany of the Week.

Overall, however, I was immensely pleased and am excited for next week.

B+

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I hate that Robert and AJ aren't in the opening credits, but I'm glad they finally redid them. I'm not sure I like the way they redid the song itself, but I'll let it grow on me.

Flack looked good, definitely. He's a very handsome man, that one. ;)

The condom scene was...odd. But if I were Lindsay, I would have explained where the jizz went--just because I'd be curious and want to give TMI that would make the poor guys flee. :)

Alison wasn't fantastic, but she could have been worse--and at least she only had, what, two scenes? Yeah, I'm sick of the stunt casting, though.

Oh, them as a couple works fine for me, it's her as a lab tech that I'm iffy about. The way she delivered the information grated on my nerves a bit (again, something about her voice), but I liked the competitiveness between her and Adam. Hopefully, now that they've established that they clearly like each other (although she's teasing more than giving in to him--naughty woman ;)), they can move on and let them both have their individual scenes.

So yeah, I agree that they're cute together. ;)

Me too. I'm glad he's got the facial hair back. But then, he's always handsome. ;)

Did anybody else notice the lab? They should have mentioned whether it was a whole new lab or just a remodel. (Or did they and I missed it?)

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I gave this a C. My over all reaction was "meh, it could've been better, it could've been worse."

The case was interesting, but all of the groovy new technology/effects really kind of put me off a bit. Sid's skull display thing, Mac having a Matrix moment with the blood spatter. It seemed a bit "smoke and mirrors" instead of actual medical/lab work. Maybe I'm just a technophobe?

I see there was not a point made about the timeline after "Snow Day," but I was still disappointed that Danny, Adam and the lab all were just fine and dandy just like it never happened.

I found it interesting that they made a point to state that Kendall and Adam did not sleep together. Guess Adam ain't gettin' any after all.

I didn't think it was possible to find an actress who takes me out of a scene as much as Anna Belknap does, but CSI: NY managed to top themselves. Bess Wohl was absolutely awful. Having her paired with A.J. Buckley made it even worse. A.J. was hilarious when Adam was jealous of Kendall and then when he one-uped her with info. Bess Wohl was flat and forced. I'm really glad they don't have them as a couple because they have less chemistry than Anna and Carmine. And in their case every last bit of it can be blamed on the actress. Wow, PTB, way to reach a new level of suckitude in your casting. Was she added to the cast to lessen the criticism of Anna - get someone worse so people are bitching about her instead??

I'm glad they had Mac mention that Peyton was staying in London for "a few more weeks." Hopefully that means she'll be back at some point. I'm also very intrigued about the stalker story line with Mac.

It was nice to see the whole team working together on one case. It actually allowed Hawkes to have some screen time. I liked the spray on condom scene. Carmine made that scene. ETA: I missed Lindsay putting the can in Danny's pocket. EWW. Are those the "moments" they are going to share at work? I find it interesting that they dropped the bit about Danny being fascinated, or whatever word was used in the spoilers, with the pianist.

The end with Stella and the Super was almost like "Frankie Lite." She seemed to be almost interested in him, and then she ends up having to shoot him in the leg. Seriously, stop it with Stella and crazy men.

I like Lindsay's new look. Too bad that's the only thing good I can say about her. ETA: I forgot to mention that Lindsay came off as a total bitch to Adam when she called him. Seriously, woman, you walked away from a crime scene and then snapped at Stella - who is your superior - for trying to cut you some slack and help you out. WTF is wrong with you??

All in all I'd say the season opener was disappointing, especially after S3 ended with "Snow Day." If this is how things are starting out, I can't see this show holding my attention for too many episodes.

12. hyburn8

hyburn8 Hit and Run

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now THAT would have been classic!!! :p

Now that you mention about the new lab, I don't recall there being any mention of it either. :confused:

BTW, Who wasn't surprised to see our favorite CSI:Q back? :rolleyes:
    I must admit, however, at least this go around they did not give away the killer as they did last year.

13. Sphinx

Sphinx Police Officer

I really liked the first episode. We got to see Mac race through the airport to catch his plane. The case was truly puzzling. Not one that you can solve in the first five minutes. It was revealed that Mac kept getting these calls at 3:33 AM at one hotel, so he moves to a new hotel and gets them again. Each time no answer. Of course he got one at 3:33 AM at his office. How the killer would know that he would be in his office at that time of the morning I don't know. He may have not gone home, because of the phone call. He doesn't seem to know who is calling or why. They always seem to know where he is at 3:33. Are they tracking him by his cell phone or a tracking device? Mac did mention that he liked meeting Peyton's family and that she decided to stay several weeks. Wouldn't that be something if it was one of Peyton's family member who was stalking Mac or an ex? She could have been married to a pshycho at one time and failed to mention it to Mac. Maybe one her family member liked a former boyfriend better and dicided to get the ex jealous by mentioning Mac. We will find out later.

Next week is the episode about the threat against a diplomat's life. They show Hawkes scuba diving. He appears to have trouble breathing. Maybe he is the first victim of the person after Mac. They also show the scene where someone tells the suspect to tell them where the bomb is. Appearantly Mac later tells suspect the sound is him shutting off his Trachea. It looks good. The 3:33 story line really looks good. Can't wait till Peyton gets back to comfort Mac unless she is the one stalking him. :eek: Just kidding. I wonder if the reason the caller never talks is because he knows their voice.

14. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Holy smoke stacks. Not sure if I quite like the new opening--The music threw me off a little. :lol: It's certainly different. Is it just me or are they itching to change the position of those fated 'CSI' letters? Original CSI had them at the beginning and now at the end of the credits, Miami has forever had them at the end and now CSI:NY has them in the middle. *iz finished over-analysing*

I'm a bit disappointed as well that AJ and Robert haven't moved up into the credits but alas there's still time. I have high hopes, which by now I should learn not to have when it comes to CSI.

The new girl was alright, though I'll hold further judgement until I've gotten to see her more. I did enjoy the competition between her and Adam, it seemed very natural and really lightened up the episode for me. Supporting actors have always been the diamond-in-the-rough on CSI, so I hope these types of scenes don't dwindle throughout the season.

I found Lindsay and Danny's scene with the spray-on condom a bit er, forced. It seemed more like an uncomfortable awkwardness rather than a 'haha you two are going out weee spray-on condom' type...Thing. :lol: If that makes any sense. Anyway. Not quite sure what they were trying to accomplish.

Overall the episode was really great and held my attention to the end, a lot of it being downright scary at times. (Re the dark music room with muffled sounds coming from the drum) It was great that they finally had a crime scene on the Statue of Liberty, I was wondering when they would. Everything seemed to flow nicely, although the end (meaning who was murdering everyone) was a bit predictable.

The revelation that the numbers 3:33 along with the phone calls are haunting Mac had me interested and I hope the writers won't allow this to fizzle out anytime soon. I'm anxious to see how it develops.

The technology was a bit weird for me. The animated skull would have been believable had the blood spatter scene not ruined the plausibility. It went a little far, but still held my attention and explained that part of the evidence with simplicity of visuals. It's nice to actually visualize it, even if it was over-the-top.

I didn't really notice anything different. :eek: Then again in the finale, the lab did get shot up, smashed and soaked. So I'd say a remodel was in order. I don't think I heard if they mentioned it either.

I gave this episode an A because I've always enjoyed NY and I thought this was way better than I've seen from any of the other CSIs in the past--It definitely topped Miami's premier, in my opinion.

15. Cahill_Fan

Cahill_Fan Rookie

you know...i am really not sure how i feel about this first episode. it was good, don't get me wrong. but it was so obvious who the killer was.

i loooooved flacks face when he says to mac "you mean to tell me we got the wrong guy?" or something like that. i am also one of the few who like the whole D/L thing, so i thought they were cute.

the episode on a whole was good. not digging the new opening though.