Editions and Printings of Books

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSIannalysse, Sep 3, 2007.

1. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I had a query that I was hoping someone may be able to help me with...

I understand that every book has a printers key on the copyright page and that the lowest number shows what printing of the book it is, however, I have a Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets book with a number line that just reads, "40" So I don't know if that means 40th printing or first edition as some publishers consider 0 and/or 1 to be a first printing. In my PoA book, it says "10", oh the confusion.

Another thing that has been really confusing me (not that it's hard :lol:)is in OoTP, HPB and DH it just reads "First Edition" and there's no printers key/number line at all!

Thanks in advance for any help given! :D

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Just some guesses here. When the metal plate is on the presses, it only lasts for so many copies. Then the areas of the plates that print the pages start wearing down, maybe after a few thousand copies. Then another plate is needed for the next few thousand. But this is still the first run of the book. Once they print enough what they think will cover the sales, they stop and begin the printing of the next book on the agenda. If they need more copies of the other book, that would be the second, then third, and so on. Maybe the "40" is the plate number, maybe a printing press number, maybe an editor's identification number, who knows? You might have to contact the publisher by email or letter to find out. Or check with a local independent bookstore manager or librarian.

Once, when I worked at a Waldenbooks, we got ONE of a new Stephen King limited edition copy new release. It had a leather cover, fancy ribbon bookmark, in a plastic case with satin type lining. Those were individually numbered, unlike the regular hardback editions. The regular book was about $29.95 but the limited edition was about $150 or so. Not sure how many of the boxed copies were made.

3. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

Thank-you very much for the help, I go back to school tomorrow, so I'll ask my librarian there. :)